Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mister Kingdom posted:

It holds absolutely no appeal to me.
Not even as a kid though? That movie was like an essential part of my childhood, and I still think it's great now that I'm an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I get this. Yeah, Wizard's a classic film, but there's only so much "SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEWHEEEEEEEEEEEEERE OVERTHERAINBOW!!" a person can take in a lifetime. I mean, I've seen the movie all the way through, but not for years. My mom loves it, it's her favorite film of all time, but the riff is pretty much going to be the first time in years I've gone out of my way to watch it.

It could be worse - they could have chosen Gone With the Wind. Which I have also not seen. I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out of the South by now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Not even as a kid though? That movie was like an essential part of my childhood, and I still think it's great now that I'm an adult.

When I was a kid (late 60s - mid 70s), it only came on once per year. Since my family only had one TV and my parents hated the movie, I never got a chance to see it then. I'd seen bits and pieces of it elsewhere and it just didn't do it for me.

I did like Cracked.com's take that Dorothy was the real villain in the movie.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mister Kingdom posted:

It could be worse - they could have chosen Gone With the Wind. Which I have also not seen. I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out of the South by now.

Yeah, I haven't seen it in years either, but that's mostly because there's a scene of a soldier getting his leg amputated that gave me nightmares for weeks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They probably wouldn't do something like Gone With the Wind. Not because of it being a "classic" but because its so long it would probably kill them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this? posted:

They probably wouldn't do something like Gone With the Wind. Not because of it being a "classic" but because its so long it would probably kill them.

They did Titanic. It was long and horrible, but that doesn't mean I want them to do GWTW.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Titanic and Transformers 2 are the only 2 movies that I've tried watching with RiffTrax but had to turn off halfway through because I was so drat bored.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Did a quick check, and it looks like the longest film they've riffed so far was The Return of the King at 201 minutes. Gone With The Winds is 220, assuming they cut the 15 minutes worth of overtures and intermission (although those would make prime opportunities for a skit or two).

Still, I would imagine the real argument against riffing it would be all of the cultural baggage attached.

Titanic and Transformers 2 are the only 2 movies that I've tried watching with RiffTrax but had to turn off halfway through because I was so drat bored.

I've said it before; the best films to riff are the ones that are badly made, not just bad. Riffing, unfortunately, rarely makes a dull film not dull.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 11, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Paper Kaiju posted:

Still, I would imagine the real argument against riffing it would be all of the cultural baggage attached.

They did Casablanca just for that reason. To prove it could be done. Mike even said they could do something like Schindler's List or The Passion of the Christ, but they just weren't going to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Mike even said they could do something like Schindler's List or The Passion of the Christ, but they just weren't going to.
Now that I would love to see! :v:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mister Kingdom posted:

They did Casablanca just for that reason. To prove it could be done. Mike even said they could do something like Schindler's List or The Passion of the Christ, but they just weren't going to.

Gone With The Wind and Casablanca aren't really comparable in that regard. The American Civil War is cultural minefield in way World War II can't even compete with.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
So many pill popper jokes to make.

"Look,Toto! I've never seen so many colors...... outside of my medicine cabinet".

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
So, what is the tone of the Casablanca riff? Is it any different from a more "low-brow" movie?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Everything Counts posted:

So, what is the tone of the Casablanca riff? Is it any different from a more "low-brow" movie?

Judge for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQe5ggCd6A

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I just watched it tonight, and there's not that much difference. Obscure reference here, mock sterotype there, make bad pun and then punish each other for it every now and then. There's just more ribbing and less yelling.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ya'll said Wizard and I thought of that video game movie with the Power Glove and got kinda excited.

Now as a Recommendation do The Wizard. or Hackers.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

All the cool kids were watching The Wiz and Return to Oz instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

All the cool kids were watching The Wiz and Return to Oz instead.

Rifftrax doesn't really like The Wiz very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1MScHGzp0&t=429s

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I picked up "Fangs of the Living Dead" ages ago and finally got around to watching it.

So the evil guy faked all of this so the niece would be declared insane? But he is actually a vampire? I honestly have no idea what happened at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its very similar to their other riffs but you can tell that they actually enjoy the film so the jokes take a more friendly tone than when you watch things like Cool as Ice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.wbshop.com/product/wizar...cj=true&from=fn

The WB store put the 2 disk bluray on sale for $8, free shipping. They knew.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wizard of Oz riff is now available for $3.99 and there's a sample video for it too.

I can't wait to watch this but I don't own the movie so I'm going to have to pick it up somewhere first.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'm only two minutes in and I'm already in love with this riff.

edit: This riff consists of a fair amount of singing from the guys, which instantly puts it in my top 5 riffs of all time. (Downloadable MP3 Division)

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 17, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Juggalos and Bronies and Twihards, OH MY!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching the Oz riff now.

"What a beautiful sepia day!"

"Ladies and gentlemen: digitally shrunken Louie Anderson in a delightful cameo!"

The songs are some of the best in any riff I've heard to date, rivaled only by Kevin's version of the piano song from the first Twilight.

e: Holy poo poo, "Gollllll-die Hawn is oooooooooooooooooooooold" has me laughing way too hard :roflolmao:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rifftrax is having a sale now on Mike's Picks. I saw "Little Lost Scent" in there. If you watch shorts, I'd say this is an essential up there with Moose Baby and "How To Set Up A Room" (also on sale).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IUG posted:

Rifftrax is having a sale now on Mike's Picks. I saw "Little Lost Scent" in there. If you watch shorts, I'd say this is an essential up there with Moose Baby and "How To Set Up A Room" (also on sale).

Dude, "Eggs to Market".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Dude, "Eggs to Market".

I don't have that one, but it's 99 cents so I guess I'll have to pick it up next time. Never even heard of it.

On that note, Courtesy: A Good Eggsample.
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/courtesy-a-good-eggsample

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New Rifftrax Presents VOD available:

King of Kong Island with Matthew J. Elliot and Ian Potter (he's new apparently).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
That riff sounds awful.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Gozinbulx posted:

That riff sounds awful.

I enjoyed it. The second guy's audio was mixed a bit too low, but it was decent.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Finishing up Wizard of Oz right now.
Recommend definitely. I generally love all the BlockBuster riffs and this is right up there with them. All 3 going to town on this great movie and great riff. Check it out if you have not yet!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/safety-woman-danger-out-doors

quote:

Safety Woman’s back, and she’s more out of doors than ever! Yes, everyone’s favorite crossing guard turned cosmic superhero Guardiana, seen first in the beloved RiffTrax short Safety: Harm Hides at Home, is taking it outside, Dalton from Road House style. But don’t worry, she hasn’t changed a bit. Still freelance architecting, still keeping kids safe with the pie plate and baton some aliens gave her, and still visiting her “favorite Aunt Margaret” -- deal with it, lesser Aunts!

Whether in boats, driveways, or crosswalks, dumb kids everywhere are getting themselves into trouble and needing saving, Guardiana style. She always shows up in the nick of time, er, well, after the nick of time, when the accident has already happened, then rewinds time and takes care of business. Teaching kids an important lesson: it doesn’t really matter what you do, a foxy lady in a shiny suit will show up and fix it! So go nuts!

Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill as they don their official Guardiana headbands and sunglasses for Safety Woman: In Danger Out of Doors!
Oh man, Safety Woman is the second most cringe-worthy short after William's Doll. I can't believe they made more than one of these.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IUG posted:

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/safety-woman-danger-out-doors

Oh man, Safety Woman is the second most cringe-worthy short after William's Doll. I can't believe they made more than one of these.

I still love the part that Bill points out in the first short the kid starts fixing raw hamburgers with dirty hands, not knowing the fact he going to get deathly sick doing that....while Safetly Woman doesn't care.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's apparently a third Safety Woman short out there.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I'm finishing up Laser Mission right now. So good.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New VOD!
Night of the Lepus

http://www.rifftrax.com/video/night-lepus

quote:

RABBIT! The very word strikes fear into the heart of anyone with a very strange definition of the word fear! Their very existence seems to bring terror, what with their gnawing on vegetables and hopping and...twitching their little tails… Starring in a surprisingly wide array of beloved books, cartoons, and other children’s entertainment, OK, look, rabbits aren’t scary, at all. But what if, through a combination of terrible editing and confusing camera angles, we pretended like they were very big? Hey, where are you going!

So it goes in Night of the Lepus (Latin for rabbit, as characters frequently remind each other and the audience.) When rabbits overrun a farmer’s land, he turns to a local scientist for a cure rather than poison them. Thus the true message of this movie: poison rules. When the scientist’s cure backfires, the rabbits grow to enormous size and the real conflict begins: that of the special effects team vs the movie producers who evidently budgeted next to nothing for the special effects team.

Using an innovative technique known as “replaying the same drat shot over and over again” the makers of Night of the Lepus manage to create the eerily convincing sensation that you are watching normal sized rabbits run towards a camera in slow motion. Occasionally they run across the screen right to left in slow motion. That Cadbury commercial where the rabbit clucks like a chicken is infinitely scarier. So is the mustache that DeForest Kelley sports in this movie.

Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for Night of the Lepus, the least scary thing involving rabbits since Bugs Bunny dressed up like a woman and seduced Elmer Fudd.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Dammit, let me buy it! Looks amazing!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Holy poo poo, that's a loving classic lovely horror movie! What a great get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I remember them mentioning somewhere that it was on the list for MST3K but never made it. I wonder if they'll do Day of the Triffids too, they actually announced that one for Season 8 but couldn't do it.

• Locked thread