Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The secret to that fight is being able to sandbag well. He will kill you with every hit he does pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I sure did accidentally ruin the intro AR cutscene
Girls freaking out screaming about her friends and panic striken while my kitten is in the background with this smug look on her face. I couldn't even try to take it seriously

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Aside from Agnes being a little annoying, the voice acting really doesn't bother me in the game.

Although the merchant in Alcheim is just silly. :colbert:

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Anyone get the collector's edition? I'm kinda shocked they added so many AR cards into it (thought it was a deck of playing cards at first), how decent are they?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dunban posted:

Look at all these wrong opinions

The Japanese voice actors are excellent. The English ones are mediocre to bad (dear god Agnès) with the occasional good one (Ringabel).

The day I'd listen to Japanese Ominas C-C-CROOWE is the day I die. FIYAH! :byodood:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Anyone get the collector's edition? I'm kinda shocked they added so many AR cards into it (thought it was a deck of playing cards at first), how decent are they?

They're hit or miss. This is from a printout about the size of an AR card.

And this is the same scene after I blew it up to a full sheet of paper.

E: I'm going to be staring at the CE box all day at work. The above are from the Demo version.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 7, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OrganizedInsanity posted:

They put the cards up for download on the official site for the Japanese version at least so I suspect they'll do the same in NA eventually.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I ran out over my lunch break to pick up Bravely Default. The employees at the local game store were all hopped up Bravely Default hype, and everyone was looking forward to the end of their shift. Now I'm trapped at my desk mapping groundwater contamination for the remainder of the afternoon, while Bravely Default mocks me from the opposite side of the room.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wow. I was not expecting this! My Bravely Default special edition from Best Buy just got dropped on my doorstep!

Now, a conundrum. Do I keep filling up my Pokedex or break out the new shininess? :ohdear:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Wow. I was not expecting this! My Bravely Default special edition from Best Buy just got dropped on my doorstep!

Now, a conundrum. Do I keep filling up my Pokedex or break out the new shininess? :ohdear:

Fill your Pokedex with shinies!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Aurain posted:

Fill your Pokedex with shinies!
:suicide:

I'm probably going to pick it up today but I'm on the fence about starting immediately or finishing the other handheld game I'm playing through (Valkyria Chronicles 3). Decisions...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's a bit late for this game, but in future for friend codes i suggest the following system.

1) Spreadsheet
2) Username along the top, horizontally and then the same list down the left vertically (kind of like the images seen here:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8)
3) After you've added your name to the list and add other people, colour the respective cell yellow or something.
4) If you come to the sheet and scroll across your name, look for any yellow cells, add that person and then colour that cell green or something.

We've already got quite a few people on the doc already so it's maybe a bit late to do that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gamestop was nice enough to put the collector's edition in a plastic bag. I guess that was worth the extra $5.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dehry posted:

Gamestop was nice enough to put the collector's edition in a plastic bag. I guess that was worth the extra $5.

It cost an extra $5? Best Buy just deducts the $5 from whatever the cost is.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dehry posted:

Wait are you serious? I thought the $5 was a downpayment to prevent people from spamming battletoads.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It cost an extra $5? Best Buy just deducts the $5 from whatever the cost is.

Gamestop's price was $55, but I could get it quicker than a Best Buy pickup.Also, the CE doesn't have plastic wrap, and Best Buy tapes the pickup documentation to reserved items.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Likely stupid question: Where is the option to change voice language? Or isn't there one...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Likely stupid question: Where is the option to change voice language? Or isn't there one...

It's in Tactics --> Config --> Message Settings. I know, first place you'd look, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm running hard mode. This could be a stupendously stupid decision on my part.

Oh well. Goin for the gold.:getin:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Shinjobi posted:

I'm running hard mode. This could be a stupendously stupid decision on my part.

Oh well. Goin for the gold.:getin:

Expect to grind to the level cap at chapter 4 or so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

Expect to grind to the level cap at chapter 4 or so.

And hit walls of pain each chapter beyond that from what I've heard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The difficulty goes through a lull on Hard after chapter 4 until chapter 7.

At which point it's assuming you're level capped and the real Bravely Default Hard Mode begins again :unsmigghh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
This game has some hosed up mood whiplash. Chapter 2 spoilers if you care.

Yeah, lets have two little girls beat each other to death while a bunch of other people are deliberately selling drugged clothes that make people go maddeningly insane.

oh now its time for the humorous dress up scene with the funny old pervert.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Long story short I've always liked "easier" less frustrating RPGs, always dug the art, design, music, combat in FF but I've never played through one completely for whatever reasons. I really want to grab this game but I'm thinking I should "beat" the demo first. Good idea? Does this sound like something I would be into? Can I just pick it up and go around fighting random battles for fun and xp?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Long story short I've always liked "easier" less frustrating RPGs, always dug the art, design, music, combat in FF but I've never played through one completely for whatever reasons. I really want to grab this game but I'm thinking I should "beat" the demo first. Good idea? Does this sound like something I would be into? Can I just pick it up and go around fighting random battles for fun and xp?

If you don't like the Demo, you won't like the full game. Definitely try that out. You can turn the game to easy mode to keep it easy throughout.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aurain posted:

If you don't like the Demo, you won't like the full game. Definitely try that out. You can turn the game to easy mode to keep it easy throughout.

Cool! I actually downloaded it before but I didn't play long enough to really get into much. I'll have some fun with it for a while and see where that gets me. Hopefully it pulls me in because I've been wanting a good old school yet modern rpg. Thanks :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The demo is more difficult than the main game. The demo also only demonstrates the gameplay: the full game doesn't even have the kind of MMO fetch-quest system that makes up the entire structure of the demo, and the demo doesn't really have a story at all.

Both the demo and the game proper are great, but the demo shows off the parts of the main game that you seem to be least interested in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The demo is more difficult than the main game.

That's pretty untrue in basically every way. The equivalent point and enemy strength in the demo is made easier by the fact you have later classes and that allows you good job class combos you can't have in the full game when you're fighting those enemies. Job levels mean that you have access to spells and abilities on the classes you don't have at the basic equivalent point in the full game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just mean starting out. I don't remember enemies near town in the demo doing only single-digit damage to level 1 characters. You're right that you can make your party very powerful more quickly in the demo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The demo is definitely harder if you expect an ease in for your first encounter. The fact that there's a regular encounter that can one-shot you in the Aero cat mage is not casual friendly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The main game starts off pretty easy. I'm actually a couple hours in and I feel its still easier then how the demo starts off.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The summon in fights is pretty neat. Summoned a goons Agnes who did something called Ascendant Palm and kicked some rear end with it.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Man, it took forever to download this from the eshop, entirely because Nintendo decided errored downloads should require user input to continue instead of automatically restarting. Leaving it in sleep mode overnight only got me 10%, so I had to babysit my 3ds while hating on the little eshop dude who was obviously tampering with my bits. He was riding empty chains and laughing at me for christ's sake, that is not cool nintendo!

Added everybody who added me (49) on the list; I have some slots open and will delete inactives to make room so feel free to add me.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The main game starts off pretty easy. I'm actually a couple hours in and I feel its still easier then how the demo starts off.

This is what I'm seeing. I was actually kind of annoyed by how hard the demo was and this is not bad at all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just started playing. I like how the game shakes up the usual FF jobs formula by making you start out as a monk. The backgrounds are really pretty, but is it just me or is the game really drab? Coulda use more color saturation.
At any rate, I guess I'll never finish rebuilding my village on account of living in the middle of nowhere. Sucks that they tie stuff like that to streetpass.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Theres actually a few places with a lot of fancy colors. it's not a very color saturated game in most areas though which makes those that are stand out even more!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can get more villagers from your online friends as well! Even having a couple extra villagers makes it a lot more manageable.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Calaveron posted:

Just started playing. I like how the game shakes up the usual FF jobs formula by making you start out as a monk. The backgrounds are really pretty, but is it just me or is the game really drab? Coulda use more color saturation.
At any rate, I guess I'll never finish rebuilding my village on account of living in the middle of nowhere. Sucks that they tie stuff like that to streetpass.
You can get a certain number of villagers every day from connecting to the internet.

My copy is apparently sitting in a warehouse in Arizona. Super saver shipping :arghfist::(

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Ugh, I got my collectors edition just now, and because Amazon just used a shipping envelope, the bottom of the box is crushed and garbage looking. All the contents are perfectly intact, but that disappointment lingers.

Edit: Oh christ now I have an anime princess running around my room screaming about danger.

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Artix posted:

You can get more villagers from your online friends as well! Even having a couple extra villagers makes it a lot more manageable.

You don't even need online friends! You can get an extra three or four villagers from online strangers once per day.

• Locked thread