Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gargano and Akuma are actually good singles wrestlers though, which is something that company is kinda in need of after people like Claudio, SDR, and Brodie left for WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dunkerton's real job has messed with his schedule so he's probably staying gone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

Gargano and Akuma are actually good singles wrestlers though, which is something that company is kinda in need of after people like Claudio, SDR, and Brodie left for WWE.
Hasn't Gargano gotten offers to go to the WWE?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Hasn't Gargano gotten offers to go to the WWE?

He's definitely gotten tryouts and jobber one-shots, but I'm not sure if he actually had an offer. I heard one report that he did but IIRC the source was questionable and it's difficult to believe he'd be the one to turn them down considering he's expressed interest and very few indie guys would say no.

Probably has less of a chance of making it now that they feel they have too many indie midgets in developmental as is.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

SirDippingSauce posted:

Gargano at least is busy in bigger things, and Saturyne just has a new gimmick but iirc also wrestled in a few "Wrestling IS..." venues with the new gimmick, and I really really hope Jakob comes back, not even for selfish reasons, just because he was super entertaining.

I know Saturyne (well Hania now) dropped the gimmick immediately and said in an interview that she never wanted to wrestle in a mask and that it made her miserable so yeah I don't think you're going to see her popping up in Chikara any time soon.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Just watched the brawl. Anybody else notice that Icarus doesn't lay a hand on any of the bad guys?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jubs posted:

Just watched the brawl. Anybody else notice that Icarus doesn't lay a hand on any of the bad guys?

I noticed literally nothing in the entire brawl.

I can't even believe Chikara at its stupidest would make Icarus turn in a :russo:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Continuing Quack's World Podcast Tour, he's on the Art of Wrestling this week.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

njsykora posted:

Continuing Quack's World Podcast Tour, he's on the Art of Wrestling this week.

I liked it. Even if there were a few moments where I yelled at the podcast. He came off a lot less insufferable than a lot of other podcasts I've listened to him on.

Dude wants to do his thing, I respect that. I don't always understand his point of view, but I can sympathize with a guy that just wants to do art for art's sake.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

coconono posted:

I liked it. Even if there were a few moments where I yelled at the podcast. He came off a lot less insufferable than a lot of other podcasts I've listened to him on.

Dude wants to do his thing, I respect that. I don't always understand his point of view, but I can sympathize with a guy that just wants to do art for art's sake.

Now I want Chikara to get a National Endowment for the Arts grant and the Republican Study Committee to criticize it on the House floor

"Mr. Speaker, this angle is too convoluted for American tax dollars to be going to it. We just wanna see masked comic book guys beatin' on each other"

I really wish I could go to Easton in May but I'll probably be a long-distance fan and support them through VOD, t-shirts and DVDs.

It'll suck not having guys like Akuma and Donst around, but like Gavok said, there's only so many wrestlers you can book on a show and it's not like those guys don't have an ample body of work in Chikara they can point to in trying to get booked elsewhere. I'm gonna miss Sexy Chuckie T most of all, but it sounds like he's got plenty of work with PWG and Dragon Gate USA.

The silver lining is that Quack's school feeds Wrestling Is and Chikara, so it's unlikely that you'll end up with a Dragon Gate situation, where it's almost the same guys at the top of the card as it was ten years ago after the Ultimo Dragon gym split, or an Osaka Pro situation, where when talent walks out for greener pastures, you're SOL. We'll get to watch new guys grow and become indy darlings in their own right. If you like classic Chikara, then you should probably already be on board for the Baltic Siege/Bloc Party feud

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

coconono posted:

Likewise. I genuinely don't understand people in various corners of the internet wigging out over him calling what CHIKARA does as performance art or the fury towards the idea in an indy promotion is not being run as a pure business. When in reality most indies are lucky to break even and more than a far share primarily exist to service the ego of the promoter anyway.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Panama Red posted:

I'm gonna miss Sexy Chuckie T most of all, but it sounds like he's got plenty of work with PWG and Dragon Gate USA.

What huh wha? I haven't seen him say anything about that on his twitter! Say it ain't so, this will absolutely crush my gf.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Looking again at the National Pro Wrestling Day finale. A small thing that I overlooked is that the Chikara guys that Icarus led were all the faces. All the guys that were masquerading as Cube's goons were the 'rudos'... led by UltraMantis Black, who is the perfect infiltrator for a heel group given his history. Cool detail.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

SirDippingSauce posted:

What huh wha? I haven't seen him say anything about that on his twitter! Say it ain't so, this will absolutely crush my gf.

Actually, he just posted on Twitter that he's hosting a UCB Midnight Show in LA with Bryce Remsberg and El Hijo del Ice Cream under the Chikara banner, so it looks like he's still part of the company. I kind of assumed he had moved on given his popularity, but it looks like he'll be a part of future Chikara shows. Pleasantly surprised.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Panama Red posted:

Actually, he just posted on Twitter that he's hosting a UCB Midnight Show in LA with Bryce Remsberg and El Hijo del Ice Cream under the Chikara banner, so it looks like he's still part of the company. I kind of assumed he had moved on given his popularity, but it looks like he'll be a part of future Chikara shows. Pleasantly surprised.

He's done some of the Wrestling Is shows too. Even hospitalized Thunderfrog by throwing a broom at him from off a balcony.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The last time I checked the website for the Wrestle Factory school Chuck was listed as one of the trainers. I figured he'd be back and am glad that's indeed the case.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Chuck Taylor moved to Philly from Kentucky a couple years back. One of the main reasons I assume was to work more CHIKARA shows and train more (or help train students) at the WrestleFactory. What I wonder is if Drew Gulak will have matches in CHIKARA now. That would be quite a boost for the roster in turns of people who can be counted on for quality matches everytime.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DM Punk posted:

Chuck Taylor moved to Philly from Kentucky a couple years back. One of the main reasons I assume was to work more CHIKARA shows and train more (or help train students) at the WrestleFactory. What I wonder is if Drew Gulak will have matches in CHIKARA now. That would be quite a boost for the roster in turns of people who can be counted on for quality matches everytime.
Gulak has been Soldier Ant since 2006 :spooky:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Listening to his PWTorch Live Cast appearance. Just general thoughts/stuff here:

He seems very well up WWE from the whole Daniel Bryan/fan backlash issue to being a fan of Bray Wyatt's promos.

Mike putting Cesaro over strongly comes as no surprise but the extreme effusive praise was still really cool to hear.

Pays cursory attention to ROH due to friends being there. Likes Adam Cole a lot.

Otherwise similar talking points to the F4W and Art of Wrestling interviews.

rovert fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 7, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Got this in the mail today.

That was nice.

The New Coke business plan seems to be doing all right so far, since the return show has about sold out at this point. I have a feeling they're probably going to only do a half-gym setup in Easton like at NPWD instead of the full-gym setup they did for King of Trios '12.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I am... what, Blue Demon?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

Gulak has been Soldier Ant since 2006 :spooky:

I know, I meant "Drew Gulak" as in himself not a character.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
My letter was signed by Mr TD. I was hoping for Jervis Cottonbelly honestly, but TD is cool.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

DM Punk posted:

I know, I meant "Drew Gulak" as in himself not a character.

Since FIST is essentially disbanded, I'd say its high time The Gentlemen's Club got more involved.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Happy Happyist posted:

Since FIST is essentially disbanded, I'd say its high time The Gentlemen's Club got more involved.

I need to get around to posting all the endings from that puzzle game they released for the Chikarmy a few years ago. Chuck Taylor's ending shows an alternate reality where he and Icarus successfully defended the tag belts back in 2007 (when Chuck had to replace an injured Akuma after already having competed that night) and didn't lose since. In the present, Icarus is all banged up from the years of title defenses and since Gargano's not in the country to take his place, Chuck introduces "Freshly Squeezed" Orange Cassidy as the newest member of FIST.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

DM Punk posted:

My letter was signed by Mr TD. I was hoping for Jervis Cottonbelly honestly, but TD is cool.

I got Dasher!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
That podcast was so helpful in cementing my feelings about this, and one of the main things is that he brought up Spider-Man.

When they announced "Peter Parker is dead, no we swear it this time deader than dead!" and doing things like flat out telling small children to their face that he was 100 percent Not Alive, I honestly didn't give a poo poo. Cause it's Comics. Nobody Is Dead In Comics. Ever. So unlike most comic nerds, I was just generally ambivalent about it and went on with my day.
But the difference is, I knew that was a story. Regardless of how I could have felt, I was given the option on Day 1.

We weren't given that in this story. Most of us thought it was Dead. Quack mentioned at the start of Cabana's podcast how much the theories hurt him about his wife and poo poo, and he's right to feel that way, but wild speculation was the only thing we had at that point.

Take the Punk Situation. I'd be kinda bummed if it turned out that this was all somehow a long con, and the walking out was a storyline, because there was no mention of it On The Show. Notice how when there's a midcard feud that can only get a build-up on Twitter, they've got graphics and interviews ready and Michael Cole goin on about Twitter blowing up, because you have to assume a large portion of your audience might miss that. This is the same deal. I came into the story months after Condor was kicking people out of arenas, and if it wasn't for you dudes, I wouldn't have anyone able to sum this poo poo up.

In the end, I'm just glad that Chikara's back, and I can actually go to a wrestling show again.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

They sold out FAST. Due to a miscommunication with friends I missed my shot. Severely bummed, as it's an easy/quick trip for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I will be forever angry that the one time I went to the USA and could have reasonably gone to King of Trios, there wasn't one.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

WeX Majors posted:

That podcast was so helpful in cementing my feelings about this, and one of the main things is that he brought up Spider-Man.

When they announced "Peter Parker is dead, no we swear it this time deader than dead!" and doing things like flat out telling small children to their face that he was 100 percent Not Alive, I honestly didn't give a poo poo. Cause it's Comics. Nobody Is Dead In Comics. Ever. So unlike most comic nerds, I was just generally ambivalent about it and went on with my day.
But the difference is, I knew that was a story. Regardless of how I could have felt, I was given the option on Day 1.

We weren't given that in this story. Most of us thought it was Dead. Quack mentioned at the start of Cabana's podcast how much the theories hurt him about his wife and poo poo, and he's right to feel that way, but wild speculation was the only thing we had at that point.

Take the Punk Situation. I'd be kinda bummed if it turned out that this was all somehow a long con, and the walking out was a storyline, because there was no mention of it On The Show. Notice how when there's a midcard feud that can only get a build-up on Twitter, they've got graphics and interviews ready and Michael Cole goin on about Twitter blowing up, because you have to assume a large portion of your audience might miss that. This is the same deal. I came into the story months after Condor was kicking people out of arenas, and if it wasn't for you dudes, I wouldn't have anyone able to sum this poo poo up.

In the end, I'm just glad that Chikara's back, and I can actually go to a wrestling show again.

Given how sudden everything was, it was definitely something that could have been handled in a slightly more obvious manner. He didn't need to come out and say "THIS IS A WORK, PLEASE DON'T GO". But shilling the Wrestling Is stuff a little bit more on the show, putting more connection between the shift, etc...It could've given that same sort of deal with the Peter Parker stuff.

But at the end of the day, Quackenbush gonna Quackenbush. The man marches to the beat of his own vaguely-percussion-based instrument.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Maybe it played out this way on some of the other podcasts, but I wish Cabana had followed the "Ashes" storyline and criticized Quack for going a bit too far. I think we can all agree with the "drat the Man, I'm doing this for the characters and the story" sentiment Quack espouses, but even if you consider pro-wrestling as a performance art form, there's "thinking outside the box" and then there's just mindless self-indulgence. If it wasn't for Gavok, DM Punk and fans already inside the Chikaramy, no one in this thread would have had any idea what was going on because Quack had Condor security guards literally going to people's houses. If you're trying to start a "revolution" and move the "art form" forward, how are you going to get people to bandwagon with you if the only people aware of what you're doing impacts the fans in the immediate Philadelphia area? How are you going to hook new people or people on the fence if all your clues are references from a decade ago? I get that Quack doesn't care about profit (or so he says), but if you're preaching to the converted (and preaching in the most esoteric way possible), I don't see how that helps your cause. In fact, it seems more like you're just stroking your own ego and convincing yourself you're a genius storyteller rather than trying to "think outside the box" or create a pro-wrestling paradigm shift or whatever.

Even worse than that, though, is that even if this was just a storyteller telling his own story, it was a story that makes no sense, even to his fellow fanboys. Why is Jimmy Jacobs leading a rudo super-unit? What was it that was so evil about Titor anyway? If something evil was exposed, why did Titor just sell off Chikara and seem to let bygones be bygones? Yeah, I do feel insulted when WWE treats me like an idiot or denies me what I want, but asking me to dig deep into your promotion's "lore" and then writing imagination checks your production values can't cash is almost just as frustrating.

Chikara doesn't need to engage in this sort of stuff to be successful; the very fact it has a family friendly, lighthearted comic book-style feel to it already makes it special and unique. If anything, the convoluted storyline has made it more difficult for me to convince people who are open-minded about pro-wrestling to check it out when it comes back fresh in May. :/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That's pretty much how I feel as well. There were elements of the storyline which could've possibly been used in a cool angle, but it was executed really poorly and nothing was resolved in a satisfying manner. It certainly wasn't anything that merited a lengthy hiatus from at least the creative perspective.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 7, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't follow Chikara at all, but I get the feeling like Quack doesn't really care if he attracts new fans, outside of King of Trios. Like he has his little cult of followers, and that's enough for him.

And hey, good for him if that's the case. If he wants to create a little performance art piece for his 100 fans, go for it. But if he was doing this thinking it would grow the company, then yeah he is a doofus.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Not a CHIKARA101er but I have gotten the impression from people I talk to that the return show will be an iPPV. Anyone hear anything to that effect?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's just really stupid because it serves nobody other than the people who were already buying all of the Chikara they could buy to begin with. It's too convoluted to bring in anyone new. It stretched on too long to really catch anyone that might have been hooked by the initial angle because they stopped caring about what was going on. They didn't lure much of anyone in with NPWD because it was basically just a Wrestling Is... show to begin with.

He cut everything off for months for what is really no gain whatsoever. If he ran out of money, it's a clever cover for that, I guess, but if that wasn't the reason, then there's pretty much little to no ultimate purpose to this entire thing other than for Quack to impress himself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's weird, because this whole thing has gotten me following Quack and learning about Chikara more than I ever have, but I also never want to actually watch the show. I was just fascinated by this whole dumb thing and the weird guy that thought it up.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

Edit: eh, never mind.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Chikara has a small, but SUPER CRAZY fan base. Would the most loyal ROH/WWE/whatever fans go on a scavenger hunt?

Also, a friend of mine is one of the dudes in plague doctor masks during the brawl, and he said Quack went over things to the point that whatever he said would happen in the ring would lead to the fan reaction, to the point that a fan shouting "Hey, is that a DeLorean?" was a cue for part of the brawl. So he knows his crowd pretty well

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Panama Red posted:

Even worse than that, though, is that even if this was just a storyteller telling his own story, it was a story that makes no sense, even to his fellow fanboys....What was it that was so evil about Titor anyway?...

They actually did kinda explain this albeit in a highly questionable manner. They took a photograph of real life Minnesota politicians at a groundbreaking ceremony (depicted as Titor execs for their angle)and poorly photoshopped in the head Titor guy and a billboard referencing an Oklahoma white supremacist group with links to McVeigh and the Alan Berg murder.

They also had a blog alleging that the Condor Security guys that broke up the last CHIKARA show were a Blackwater-esque PMC guilty of committing atrocities in South Africa.

None of this seemed to have gone anywhere and of course the question can be asked if this is an appropriate angle for a PG wrestling promotion relying heavily on comedy segments with ant and ice cream men anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's just really stupid because it serves nobody other than the people who were already buying all of the Chikara they could buy to begin with. It's too convoluted to bring in anyone new. It stretched on too long to really catch anyone that might have been hooked by the initial angle because they stopped caring about what was going on. They didn't lure much of anyone in with NPWD because it was basically just a Wrestling Is... show to begin with.

He cut everything off for months for what is really no gain whatsoever. If he ran out of money, it's a clever cover for that, I guess, but if that wasn't the reason, then there's pretty much little to no ultimate purpose to this entire thing other than for Quack to impress himself.

sportsgenius86 did you listen to his F4W interview Mike rhymed off a fairly impressive list of stats about the increase in interest/brand awareness in CHIKARA since the hiatus: Twitter and Youtube followers going through the roof and such like. Also as already stated their return show has sold out without a match announced. You are making statements without looking at the numbers. To claim no gain is silly at this early stage at least.

• Locked thread