Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

This is our pre-Alpha messup, there's a line in the DD at the end and a massive warning on the image itself :argh:

Oh no you don't, Sonny Jim. I know how this works: first it's, "It's only pre-Alpha!", then it's, "We want to focus on the core systems in Beta, that can wait," then it's, "Well, we're going gold in a week, there's no time now," and then finally it's, "We never had any intention of implementing that to begin with," and no-one can feel human ever again. :argh:

You boot up Visual Studio and code it in right this second, bucko. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

This is our pre-Alpha messup, there's a line in the DD at the end and a massive warning on the image itself :argh:

Excuse me Sir, I have already based my entire opinion of the game around this screenshot and have written a positively scathing review on metacritic.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
im done. HoI IV is canceled. goodbye.

:qq:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I am a professional game critic for balkans.ru, and let me tell you that our community has zoomed in as far as possible on this screenshot and determined that you have not accurately represented province borders as they should be. Our user base is very disappointed and furthermore have lost the ability to feel human. I will have to preemptively award HOI4 a score of zero, and you will be hearing from our legal counsel about righting these historic injustices.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ArchangeI posted:

Excuse me Sir, I have already based my entire opinion of the game around this screenshot and have written a positively scathing review on metacritic.

I've already read your review, took it as a gospel and now I am outraged on the internet about it!

EDIT: All my friends and extended family will be hearing about this, MARK MY WORDS PARADOX!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

We did it! Darkest Hour forever! :woop:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Darkrenown posted:

C'mon, at least release the current version on Early Access and never touch it again.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
OK:
PLTWJ-BBJGR-MCT4K

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

OK:
PLTWJ-BBJGR-MCT4K

Damnit, Product Key already owned.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I can't believe you're releasing Ubik's work on Magna Mundi as Hearts of Iron 4.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Resources is the last thing I want to see, because although I thought the fundamentals of the Trade system in HOI3 were actually quite good, like everything else it didn't interact with the rest of the game in terms of Player Choices very well.

To sum up what I want in one example: At some point a German player should look at the map and think 'okay, where can I get oil from? I can buy from Romania, I need to make sure they keep selling to me and my supply line is clear. I can also buy from the Soviet Union and I should probably get as much as possible from them by the time I decide to go to war with them. Anywhere else is going to get blockaded away the moment the war starts'. At some point during the war in Russia he might then think 'oops, supplies running a bit low. May have to direct my Panzers south to grab the Caucasus oil fields or I'm going to run out'.

In a game that's about total industrialised warfare, access to resources should be a huge part of the player's decision to send armies places. Similarly the war in the Pacific should kick off not because a Pearl Harbour event triggers but because the Japanese player needs to grab the Dutch East Indies in order to keep his economy going.

I'm confused. First you say you don't want to see resources and then you outline why the need for resources drive most of the gameplay in HoI. There will be some resources in the interface somewhere once the time is right :)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

John Charity Spring posted:

I can't believe you're releasing Ubik's work on Magna Mundi as Hearts of Iron 4.

Darkrenown don't lie, the next DD is covering the corruption mechanics, isn't it. The 'Purge of the Army' decision will now just be the USSR starting out with high corruption and hitting the 'Fight Corruption' button.

:v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the best ck2/Eu4 Lp on SA right now?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats the best ck2/Eu4 Lp on SA right now?

I quite like Grey Hunter's 1000 years of misrule, which has went from CK2 to EUIV already. There's also a multi-LP CK2 tutorial LP thread going, out of which I like Captain Andy's Ireland the best.

P.S. Did anyone activate the code I posted above? It's SI, some dislike it, but I think if you give it a chance it can really steal your heart.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

I quite like Grey Hunter's 1000 years of misrule, which has went from CK2 to EUIV already. There's also a multi-LP CK2 tutorial LP thread going, out of which I like Captain Andy's Ireland the best.

P.S. Did anyone activate the code I posted above? It's SI, some dislike it, but I think if you give it a chance it can really steal your heart.

Solium Infernum? Is the multiplayer for that still going, it's not very good as a single player game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Sunset Invasion. Oh man, Solium Infernum though, I wish it had had better single player - really wanted to take over hell in an exciting fashion.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Great, now you can start on Rome II! :v:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Sunset Invasion. Oh man, Solium Infernum though, I wish it had had better single player - really wanted to take over hell in an exciting fashion.

Solium Infernum! Yeah, single-player was alright, but I always wanted to get a multi-player game of that going. Sunset Invasion is pretty neat, too.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fintilgin posted:

Great, now you can start on Rome II! :v:

And Vicky 3! :aaaaa:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Sunset Invasion stole my ability to feel, how dare you give a copy of it away :cry:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

podcat posted:

I'm confused. First you say you don't want to see resources and then you outline why the need for resources drive most of the gameplay in HoI. There will be some resources in the interface somewhere once the time is right :)

Sorry, that should have read 'last thing I want to see changed' as is 'last on the list of things'.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sunset Invasion? Are we going to see a Mexican invasion of Spain? An alt-history where we still have the Empire of Mexico :allears:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm canceling all 6 of my pre-orders right now, and I'm telling all my friends to as well. You're losing a loyal customer over this travesty of an interface, and I will never buy a Paradox product again.

I'm sure someone has already unironically posted this on Paradox Plaza

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
After that screenshot I don't know if I can ever feel human. Where is my clay, Paradox? Did you steal that too?????

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I liked faux-Cyrillic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GrossMurpel posted:

I liked faux-Cyrillic.
Yeah, I do too. It's neat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved the poo poo out of HOI2 and all the spinoffs but could not enjoy any aspect of HOI3. So please make it more like 2 :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, I do too. It's neat.
Add Fraktur letters for Germany.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I liked the fraktur text for the Axis, it was really awesome to slowly see fraktur-text Poland spread across the USSR :poland:.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrossMurpel posted:

I liked faux-Cyrillic.

Faux Cyrillic DLC please!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I'm more concerned with those monitor photos we saw earlier. The ones that had arrows everywhere. Yeah, it looks neat, but if I cared about the way a game looks I'd buy a console and play Bioshock or something. The point of HoI has always been realism and the fantastic amount of detail. While the idea of a "battle plan" system is pretty cool, I suspect what we've seen so far indicates that the arrows are directly correlated with what's happening and probably show actual troop movements.

I find this pretty troubling. I mean, armies don't always follow plans to the letter. Eisenhower and Rommel had to keep tabs on the actual divisions. In HoI3, you could make plans as a reminder to yourself, but you had to click every army separately to see where it was actually going, which gave the experience a lot of verisimilitude. Personally I would spend a lot of time making arrows on the map, then give orders to my armies, and if the offensive collapsed I'd pause the game, redraw the lines, and give new orders - ad infinitum. That feels just like being a real general, like putting actual effort into winning the most important conflict in human history.

Having battle plans integrated with gameplay, and showing arrows everywhere that actually represent something, is just spoonfeeding information to the player. There's no challenge any more.

Darkrenown posted:

:golfclap:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Faux Cyrillic DLC please!

HЗДЯTS ФF IЯФИ IV: УЦЯI'S ЯЗVЗИGЗ

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 7, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm still bitter we didn't get a space 4X

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

HЗДЯTS ФF IЯФИ IV: УЦЯI'S ЯЗVЗИGЗ

Nzdyats ff Iyafi IV: Utsyai's Yazvzigz.

This broke my brain :psyduck:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

vyelkin posted:

Nzdyats ff Iyafi IV: Utsyai's Yazvzigz.

This broke my brain :psyduck:
Oh, don't be silly. I can read cyrillic as well, and the ability doesn't make it any harder to read it as English substitute letters.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Solution: make the text generated from a TrueType font, allowing the user to mod in custom fonts.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

uPen posted:

Yesss they got rid of the faux Cyrillic for comintern members.

Aw man, I loved the fake Cyrillic :( (and the Ye Olde font for the Axis)

Darkrenown posted:

There's also a multi-LP CK2 tutorial LP thread going, out of which I like Captain Andy's Ireland the best.

I dunno, that Zoroastrian one is pretty crazy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just use the map as an excuse to piss of pedantic nerds everywhere. Fake Cyrillic for the Comintern. Wade Giles in China. A random mishmash of Papyrus and Impact fonts for everyone else.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Farecoal posted:

Aw man, I loved the fake Cyrillic :( (and the Ye Olde font for the Axis)

I dunno, that Zoroastrian one is pretty crazy

Link to the zoro one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

The Nozzle posted:

Just use the map as an excuse to piss of pedantic nerds everywhere. Fake Cyrillic for the Comintern. Wade Giles in China. A random mishmash of Papyrus and Impact fonts for everyone else.

Comic Sans :unsmigghh:

Kanthulhu posted:

Link to the zoro one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45#post424325226

• Locked thread