Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

2house2fly posted:

Plus there was a codex entry which said while you can copy an AI, they have "quantum hardware" so any copy you make would have a different personality and functionally be a different "person". I don't know if that's the same for the geth, since a single geth is pretty basic, but Legion "died" after transmitting its software out of the platform at the end of the Rannoch mission so they might have a similar thing.

making GBS threads over established lore and stuff that happened in ME3 in favor of getting the series back on track seems OK with me when you consider how much ME3 shat over established lore and other things.

If they want the next ME game to take place after ME3, they're bound to piss people off and / or pull some nonsensical stuff to wrap things up, so stuff like that seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah it seems fairly simple. Go with Destroy, stay away from the Normandy to minimize any prior-game conflicts, put in a Codex entry about how galactic scientists are really surprised at how many Keepers really lived on the Citadel given how quickly it was put back together. Plot of game conveniently ignores Rannoch and/or Perseus Veil, letting them neatly sidestep that one. Depending on how far away they set it from ME3 - chronologically, I mean - they might be able to dodge the genophage question as well.

But really, when in doubt, they should just go with whatever the Paragon option was, since that's probably the majority of the fanbase's real wish for outcomes anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Police Automaton posted:

I really maintain ME4 could go either way for them. I never felt so torn about the decision whether a game is good or bad as I did with all three mass effect games. They all had components that were really good, and components that were really bad. In the first two ones I'd generally say the good outweighs the bad but the third one? I'm not sure if it's one of the best or one of the worst really. I'd say they wouldn't outright repeat errors but plotholes and fan outrage are pretty much a bioware staple at this point so I am not sure they learned anything from it. Whatever they do with the fourth, something tells me they probably shouldn't get "too creative".

ME4 is probably going to be the game that gets me to get either a PS4 or Xbox One. Hopefully it's a good game and one of those consoles has other games worth getting at that point. I could totally see it not being good though, so I'm not sure if I'll do a day 1 purchase or wait a week to see the reactions in this forum.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Spacebump posted:

ME4 is probably going to be the game that gets me to get either a PS4 or Xbox One. Hopefully it's a good game and one of those consoles has other games worth getting at that point. I could totally see it not being good though, so I'm not sure if I'll do a day 1 purchase or wait a week to see the reactions in this forum.

NEVER EVER pre-order video games or buy them on day one. Never, ever do this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I'm going to be wishing, I'd like to see ME4's campaign focused in a part of the galaxy about as far away from Earth or Council space as they can get. Let the world and character building show how people who didn't have Alliance or Council resources pulled back together, and make the main character the captain of a private ship.

If they want to make the Normandy a cameo, have the player and her crew recover it and reboot it during their journey--if they want to bring EDI back they can do it then, but it's a back-up copy and has damaged or imperfect memories of the events of ME3, so you can gloss over inconsistencies. You could have the entire game actually be retconning the end of ME3: Survivors on the outside have all these different stories about what happened and in the hero's quest to reconnect his or her system with the rest of the galaxy, they learn how things really went down.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'd say it's incredibly unlikely that they make a game without a human as the protagonist, and without humanity as a sizeable presence. Note that this somewhat rules out low EMS endings as well.

On another note, and since I'm too lazy to look it up, anyone know who wrote the Citadel DLC?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently all of them? I dunno, really; the wiki doesn't say.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lotish posted:

If I'm going to be wishing, I'd like to see ME4's campaign focused in a part of the galaxy about as far away from Earth or Council space as they can get. Let the world and character building show how people who didn't have Alliance or Council resources pulled back together, and make the main character the captain of a private ship.

They'd just turn this into Firefly: The Game, and the LAST thing Bioware writers need to be doing is giving themselves more excuses to ape Joss Whedon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, you gotta have control of your own ship in order to see more than one planet, so it's either be a private captain or retread special military operative ground. Unless they make the player use public transportation or stow away on cargo ships, which could be a funny plot point to really emphasize how different the new hero is from Shep.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Burning Mustache posted:

NEVER EVER pre-order video games or buy them on day one. Never, ever do this.
I'm getting Dark Souls 2 on 3/11 and nothing you say will convince me otherwise :colbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm getting Dark Souls 2 on 3/11 and nothing you say will convince me otherwise :colbert:

I've never played a Dark Souls game v:shobon:v

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Crappy Jack posted:

They'd just turn this into Firefly: The Game, and the LAST thing Bioware writers need to be doing is giving themselves more excuses to ape Joss Whedon.

gently caress Joss Whedon in general.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game v:shobon:v:
Mandatory JJJOOOIIINNN UUUSSS reply. Really though, it's cheap and once you get used to the stats and upgrade system it's simultaneously the best challenge / reward you'll get from a game. Unless you get it on PC in which case half the challenge is in getting it to work.

I've been thinking and it would be interesting to tell the story of one cut off system. Within that system there are say 3 clusters with 4 habitable planets each, with 3-5 locations per planet. Maybe a bonus mission or 2 on the inhospitable planets.

You could still have the big 'feel' of Mass Effect, but get to explore the story, aesthetic style and history of each planet through gameplay rather than a text chunk that most people ignored.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Don't kid yourself, the only ones who are passionate enough to throw a fit if Bioware goes with one of the canon endings that they don't like are also some of the first to pre-order ME4 because "OH GOD NEW MASS EFFECT I CAN HARDLY WAIT!".

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been thinking and it would be interesting to tell the story of one cut off system. Within that system there are say 3 clusters with 4 habitable planets each, with 3-5 locations per planet. Maybe a bonus mission or 2 on the inhospitable planets.

You could still have the big 'feel' of Mass Effect, but get to explore the story, aesthetic style and history of each planet through gameplay rather than a text chunk that most people ignored.

I've said it before: Taking back the destruction of the Mass Relays was the biggest mistake Bioware made with the new extended cut DLC. Humanity could have been forced to slow-fly to near star systems they did not bother to visit because they were too far away from the nearest Mass Relay, and you would basically have the kind of game you describe here. Play as one of the humans in the Terminus Systems, and you would be severed from the rest of humanity, exploring the near space.

But no, idiot fans threw a hissy fit and Bioware chickened out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Bioware chickened out because the original ending was legit terrible, now it's just slightly terrible.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Don't kid yourself, the only ones who are passionate enough to throw a fit if Bioware goes with one of the canon endings that they don't like are also some of the first to pre-order ME4 because "OH GOD NEW MASS EFFECT I CAN HARDLY WAIT!".

I've said it before: Taking back the destruction of the Mass Relays was the biggest mistake Bioware made with the new extended cut DLC. Humanity could have been forced to slow-fly to near star systems they did not bother to visit because they were too far away from the nearest Mass Relay, and you would basically have the kind of game you describe here. Play as one of the humans in the Terminus Systems, and you would be severed from the rest of humanity, exploring the near space.

But no, idiot fans threw a hissy fit and Bioware chickened out.

Bioware would almost certainly have come up with some other way to travel vast distances almost instantly and it would have been functionally identical.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Just go the Deus Ex: Invisible War route and say that all endings happened. (not sure if spoilers are still needed but just in case) Shepard merged organic and synthetic life; in the process, he/she gained control of the Reapers, who helped to rebuild until they, along with the Geth and EDI, eventually were destroyed due to *insert reason here*

Not saying I want that to happen, mind you, but it's the sort of cop-out I could see Bioware going with.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Aren't there still a bunch of mass relays that haven't been activated yet? I thought there was some note about how there's a bunch dormant relays sitting out there, but after the Rachni War everybody thought exploring was a bad idea, so they stopped activating new ones. Seems to me there's a lot of story you could get out of that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

As I recall, yes, inactive and lost relays are very much a thing. Not sure if they ever explained how you turn one on, though.

A game where you get sent on an expedition to a lost part of the galaxy through a relay that only works one way, and have to bounce around activating and using other relays until you find one that completes the circuit could be a very cool adventure and possibly explain where a new crisis might emerge.

I understood that one of the planets in ME1 that described "beings of light" that were fighting "devils from outer space" was a reference to a book, but I still thinking some kind of "anti-Reaper" might be interesting to meet. Perhaps they took all the species of their time to a part of the galaxy the Reapers would ignore and then damaged the relays, waiting for a time when the Reapers would move on. Being cut off, they didn't know how long that would take, but our plucky expedition brings news of the Reapers defeat! Now they can begin their true purpose of conquering the galaxy, and this time there's no Catalyst to stop them!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 7, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Captain Geech posted:

Aren't there still a bunch of mass relays that haven't been activated yet? I thought there was some note about how there's a bunch dormant relays sitting out there, but after the Rachni War everybody thought exploring was a bad idea, so they stopped activating new ones. Seems to me there's a lot of story you could get out of that.

Yeah that's a good way to introduce new races, after all shortly before the Reaper's War the Raloi made contact with Citadel races: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Raloi

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha poor loving bird dudes. So amped up to enter the galactic community and as soon as they get there:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I have the feeling a fourth one could have made the whole story arc not terrible.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I think the only way to really continue the franchise without things being too weird is to go with Destroy, which I think would honestly piss off the fewest people because most fans went into ME3 wanting to beat the Reapers, right? Other synthetics getting caught in the crossfire would be acceptable casualties, and the series is mostly about humans and aliens anyway.
Yes, I fully expect BioWare, being the terrible, lowest common denominator serving people they have become, to go with that ending. Lets return to the status quo, instead of doing something, you know, actually weird and interesting. Who cares about synthetics anyways. :downs: Besides, we can just have all the ones we like rebuild and spit on the very concept of choices having consequences because we never pay attention to that anyways, right? :downs:

No, that's stupid. I'm really, really hoping BioWare doesn't go with the Destroy ending simply because it is the one people normally chose. These are people who when they play, care more about their Shepard living than wiping out an entire race. Either that or they just hit the Paragon button every time and don't give a poo poo. I view Destroy as a return to the status quo, where technology and civilization are stagnant, and most people are racist fucks when it comes to AI.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I don't give a poo poo about synthetics, and lol if you think the synthesis or control endings are the embodiment of choices having consequences.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Inverness posted:

Yes, I fully expect BioWare, being the terrible, lowest common denominator serving people they have become, to go with that ending. Lets return to the status quo, instead of doing something, you know, actually weird and interesting. Who cares about synthetics anyways. :downs: Besides, we can just have all the ones we like rebuild and spit on the very concept of choices having consequences because we never pay attention to that anyways, right? :downs:

No, that's stupid. I'm really, really hoping BioWare doesn't go with the Destroy ending simply because it is the one people normally chose. These are people who when they play, care more about their Shepard living than wiping out an entire race. Either that or they just hit the Paragon button every time and don't give a poo poo. I view Destroy as a return to the status quo, where technology and civilization are stagnant, and most people are racist fucks when it comes to AI.

Well personally I wouldn't have made the endings they did, but they've made this bed and Synthesis is stupid as gently caress. You could do interesting things with Control*, actually, like casting them as essentially an immortal, omnipotent police force, but that doesn't leave much room for a new threat to galactic peace because you can just throw a Shepard-Reaper or hundred at it, so you'd have to make them the antagonists to galactic freedom, so we're just fighting reapers again. If they want to go anywhere new, Destroy gives them the most options.

*I say this as someone who hasn't gone back and done the Extended Cut, so my understanding of the ending may be incomplete.

edit: You could probably do something like the Revan questions in KotoR 2 where in game dialogue gives you the chance to establish what kind of world Shep left behind, but then planning around the huge differences between the endings is going to be prohibitively nightmarish.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 8, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Potential interesting conflicts in a galaxy of synthetic machine people who all have an intimate and shared understanding of eachother:

-

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lotish posted:

Well personally I wouldn't have made the endings they did, but they've made this bed and Synthesis is stupid as gently caress. You could do interesting things with Control*, actually, like casting them as essentially an immortal, omnipotent police force, but that doesn't leave much room for a new threat to galactic peace because you can just through a Shepard-Reaper or hundred at it, so you'd have to make them the antagonists to galactic freedom, so we're just fighting reapers again. If they want to go anywhere new, Destroy gives them the most options.

*I say this as someone who hasn't gone back and done the Extended Cut, so my understanding of the ending may be incomplete.

Extended Cut Control ending is even more explicit since you get a voiceover of Shepard either being Paragon motherly ("I will be their guardian" or something) or Renegade scary ("I will destroy those who threaten the future").

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Imported saves in ME4 affect how the giant monument to Shepard and the Reaper war looks like, and some flavor text.

Nothing else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Laughing Zealot posted:

Imported saves in ME4 affect how the giant monument to Shepard and the Reaper war looks like, and some flavor text.

Nothing else.

Kai Leng takes the place of Anderson as the protagonist's mentor, and each mission ends with an unskippable scene where you have to sit there and listen to him talk about how much cooler he is than you and how he could have done things better. A randomized series of button prompts flash on the screen during the cutscene that you must push in time in order to continue the scene, failure to do so will loop the scene back to the start, so you MUST sit through the entire thing in order to continue playing the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The only thing a save game import should keep is where the memorial is at the SR1 crash site. If it's at the Mako, it's still there, otherwise it's not.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jerusalem posted:

Kai Leng takes the place of Anderson as the protagonist's mentor
Nah, because I killed that motherfucker :unsmigghh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nah, because I killed that motherfucker :unsmigghh:

So they bring him back just like they did Shepard...with upgrades! :pcgaming:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bioware is just going to have ME4 be another shepard game with the real shep if you picked destroy and lived and a clone shep otherwise ala Citadel

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

The games tell you pretty much every piece of information related to time that you need to know, or give you the information necessary to work it out yourself. Why would they put in an in-game clock? It might not be much effort, but not much is still too much for no benefit.

This is a way old post but I still wanted to reply.

I'm baffled by how you can say that given how bad the intro of ME3 is. The connection to ME2 is abysmal; there's no mention of what year it is or even how much time has passed since the end of ME2 :psyduck:

YES, players can make guesses about the timeframe involved, but it's much more satisfying to actually SEE or even be told that in an opening blurb, rather than having to make assumptions. It's pretty pathetic and kind of bizzare that people have to use Wikis and BSN forum posts to piece together what happened between the games, or even just to find out which books/comics they need to read. The intro to ME3 is possibly the worst I have ever seen in a sequel to anything.

To me there is great value in communicating timeframes as they make stories feel more relatable, realistic and grounded. For example, I feel the storytelling in Halo Reach-to-3 would have been much more effective if time was actually communicated in-game, to allow players to really engage with just how intense and desperate the end of the Human-Covenant war was. The entire events of the decade-long Halo series (excl 4) take place over only 2 months or so from late Sep to Dec 2552, yet you would have no idea going by the games.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Psion posted:

The only thing a save game import should keep is where the memorial is at the SR1 crash site. If it's at the Mako, it's still there, otherwise it's not.

Hire this man Bioware.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

psyman posted:

This is a way old post but I still wanted to reply.

I'm baffled by how you can say that given how bad the intro of ME3 is. The connection to ME2 is abysmal; there's no mention of what year it is or even how much time has passed since the end of ME2 :psyduck:

YES, players can make guesses about the timeframe involved, but it's much more satisfying to actually SEE or even be told that in an opening blurb, rather than having to make assumptions. It's pretty pathetic and kind of bizzare that people have to use Wikis and BSN forum posts to piece together what happened between the games, or even just to find out which books/comics they need to read. The intro to ME3 is possibly the worst I have ever seen in a sequel to anything.

To me there is great value in communicating timeframes as they make stories feel more relatable, realistic and grounded. For example, I feel the storytelling in Halo Reach-to-3 would have been much more effective if time was actually communicated in-game, to allow players to really engage with just how intense and desperate the end of the Human-Covenant war was. The entire events of the decade-long Halo series (excl 4) take place over only 2 months or so from late Sep to Dec 2552, yet you would have no idea going by the games.

I don't remember typing the post you're responding to but you sound like the Clock King.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

psyman posted:

To me there is great value in communicating timeframes as they make stories feel more relatable, realistic and grounded.

I'm just now doing my second playthrough since launch and couldn't agree more.

The codec entries all refer to dates but there's no dialogue mentions of the year nor any quest timestamps.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know in dialogue in ME3 they say it's been 3 years since Eden Prime (it came up in a conversation with Liara), which seems pretty crazy, given they say in ME2 that Shepard spent two years as a pile of meat on a table. So given that he turned himself into the Alliance and they held onto him for a while (I don't think I've heard how long though), that means there's something like 11 months split between the events of ME1 and ME2. (Well, when people talk about past events, 3 years can refer to a range on either side, so it might be closer to 4, which seems more reasonable.)

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 8, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm fairly certain they say you've been locked up for 6 months in some side dialogue early in ME3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So yeah, if by three years Liara meant three years, that means 2.5 of them are in downtime, and the first games take place over a combined six months, including the time between the end of ME1 and being blown up in the intro to ME2.

Which reminds me: Why the hell did Bioware including unskippable cutscenes in the intro of the game they designed specifically for multiple replays? It was bad in ME2 and it's still bad in ME3.

• Locked thread