Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Honorific! posted:

More importantly, I have discovered that there is NO LIMIT to the amount of bows you can put on your character!

UNLIMITED BOWS (and ruffles, probably) does sound like Rococo in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Midnight Voyager posted:

Doll Divine has the kind of dollmaker games I futz around with. They're the sort made by experimenting artists, not actually games for young girls. They have their problems, but it's less of a crapshoot there!

Rinmaru's also not terrible, but it also has loving ASCENSION AHGHHH
The Ascension couple creator is great.

Don't talk bad about the Ascension couple creator.

Rinmaru also has the pirate lolita dressup, so you can be the most anime pirate ever:

Sometimes I just want to be prim and proper while burning villages and stealing their everything.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 6, 2014

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Does it have a variety of silly hats?

It has one very large silly hat, a crown, and a bunch of other hair fripperies such as feathers and jewels. And bows of course.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Rinmaru and a few other websites have really pretty, really elaborate dressups, and I wasn't sure how I was going to incorporate them, but now I think I will just post them in the thread and you guys can see how elaborate of dolls you can make! Check out that pirate one, and also THE CRADLE, a very sPoOkY dress up game!

I made Claudia:

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
You can't mention DollDivine and Rinmaru without bringing in Azalea (http://www.azaleasdolls.com/index.html)!
She tends to make some rather decent dress ups too, at least in comparison to some of the others I've seen in the stream/videos. Also those three sites seem to have a relatively good representation of people who are anything other than white.

I'm loving this thread, even if it has made me lose hours with the teeth pulling games. Why the hell do these exist? How are they specifically girl games?!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Mesimean posted:

You can't mention DollDivine and Rinmaru without bringing in Azalea (http://www.azaleasdolls.com/index.html)!
She tends to make some rather decent dress ups too, at least in comparison to some of the others I've seen in the stream/videos. Also those three sites seem to have a relatively good representation of people who are anything other than white.

That's true!! I have selections from all 3 of these sites lined up for videos, but I had all 3 in mind when I thought it might be better to just release them to the thread! Should I do it a couple at a time, or all at once?

Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
The difference in quality with these sites and what we've seen so far as pretty big.
Here's Geisha Scene for example. Lots of options, including putting things in the background! :aaa:

As for the vids. It wont be as :magical: as the other videos with terrible games, so keeping it bite sized makes sense to me. Maybe as sort of an interlude between the other games, to keep a contrast?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i feel discriminated against because the only moon dress-up games are sailor moon.... cultural appropriation at its worst imo

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Zyrden posted:

As for the vids. It wont be as :magical: as the other videos with terrible games, so keeping it bite sized makes sense to me. Maybe as sort of an interlude between the other games, to keep a contrast?

Ah, I didn't mean post videos, I meant just post links to the dress up games and have y'all play with them and post your results!

Such as Fairy Tale Prince:

llllllllladies

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You should try some flash dating simulators for girls. Unless it's not considered girl games~ since dating sims also exist for boys.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Tired Moritz posted:

You should try some flash dating simulators for girls. Unless it's not considered girl games~ since dating sims also exist for boys.

SEVERAL PEOPLE have PROMISED me that they would be posting dating sim games in my thread, but it appears that none of them could handle it! Ragny downloaded a bunch of boyfriend games onto his tablet, but he only lasted like 24 hours and 15 tweets before purging them all forever.

EDIT: This is all you need to know

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2014

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

The other day I got a very important message on Ask.fm, and that person convinced me to make a clarification for this thread:

The message I got was related to Girl Games and trans women. I want to clarify that while the games we're making fun of are blatantly exclusionary on many levels, in this thread, we are all girls. These games want to define "girls" strictly and narrowly, so in this thread, I want to do the opposite. The bad messages in these games effect everyone, so therefore everyone is girls. Including everyone who identifies as female, which includes trans women, or, as I like to call them, women.

When I react to and analyze these games, I am going to start with what offends me personally, but of course that is not going to always be the same for the rest of you. People with different experiences and backgrounds will have additional things to say about why these games are dumb and bad. I have no authority to speak on behalf of a trans woman, a queer woman, a woman of color, A MAN, and so on, about how these games affect them except on a very superficial level. But that's why I made this thread!

I want you to tell me, and I am eager to hear your opinons and experiences. Ultimately, I want to increase my own awareness of all these issues and the awareness of the entire thread as well! It's no good to go around tearing down only some problematic aspects of these games. If you are reading the thread, if you are experiencing these games, then your opinions are valid and you will be heard here.

Okay, now go back to making silly .gifs, thank you everyone.

I know this was literally 200 posts ago (I'm catching up ok get off my back GOSH), but I love you for this. Just wanted to let you know~

As a trans woman, I might well have somewhat of a different point of view on certain bad things these games do, and I'll be happy to share my opinions on things, if people care.

..maybe even if they don't care, fuk da po-po

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well if we're supposed to post our results, then... I'm having way too much fun with that elegance dressup game.

Here's Shiva, a character I made for a thing and that I knew I had to try to make because purple was a skin colour option. More of these dressup games need non-regular skin colours, damnit. She turned out well.

Also tried making Marceline from Adventure Time and realized that this was the best I'd be able to do due to the lack of pants. Half-decent, I guess.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I might consider Dating Games as a later topic to explore, if I ever finish my current one. My research so far has taken a week off my life and given me enough material for at least two posts, and I'm only a little over halfway through the list from one website. :shepicide:
I think I'm going to have to make some painful cuts at some point. Curse these games for loving up so consistently and in such an amusing variety of ways!

I also have an... idea brewing for something to make for this thread after this current game showcase I'm working on.

What I'm trying to say is someone please do dating games so I don't have to please god I beg of you. :cry:

Also I'd like to thank D-Vac for finding some actually really good dress-up games. Those are really cool and fun and it's nice to have a reminder that there are actually some well done "girl games" out there. :shobon:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

SPEAKING OF DATING GAMES

Brave volunteer and friend The Moon (aka Fat Larry) is going to be streaming something anime and date-related soon right here: http://www.twitch.tv/fatlarrywithanF_A_T

I have to go to class so I won't be there. You have been warned.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

OBJECTION!

Alas, you can't have a waistcoat underneath a jacket.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

starting stream in 5 minutes

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Devious Vacuum posted:

Ah, I didn't mean post videos, I meant just post links to the dress up games and have y'all play with them and post your results!

Such as Fairy Tale Prince:

llllllllladies

Oh my god I love it

The Monarch Formerly Known As Prince

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Also tried making Marceline from Adventure Time and realized that this was the best I'd be able to do due to the lack of pants. Half-decent, I guess.

:swoon:

Here's what I ended up making in that game.

HI

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I was considering making a dress-up game thread but I was too lazy to bother posting the stuff I've made with them.

So I'll just link a handful of games that I enjoy here.

Game of Thrones

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter students

Rockabilly pin-ups

Disney heroines

Tinker Bell fairies

Goddesses

Male warrior

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Can I request someone stream or record Speed Dating 2? I'd do it myself but my laptop is on the fritz. But it is a good game that teaches you the ways of love.

Edit:
Seduce all the boyz

Edit 2:
And you have to google the boyz before each date. This owns.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 6, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I'm kind of starting to feel bad about watching some of these videos on Youtube. Because then I get suggestions like this. :(

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

chocolatekake posted:

I'm kind of starting to feel bad about watching some of these videos on Youtube. Because then I get suggestions like this. :(

Devious Vacuum revealed as secret MRA

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

Antistar01 posted:

UNLIMITED BOWS (and ruffles, probably) does sound like Rococo in a nutshell.

I made a new ultimate ruffle dress just for you. And added the HUGE FABULOUS HAT for Small Frozen Thing.

It's not as outrageous as the bow gown, because unfortunately there is a hard cap on ruffles. (Secretly, the reason the first one is so bow-tacular is that on the last screen there's a section of things that you can recolor and drag n drop anywhere on your image. Most of those bows on that dress were painstakingly hand positioned. :ssh:)

I decided to take a look at other "historical" dress up games, since history is something I've been interested in since I was a kid and so those dress up games are the ones that would probably appeal to me most. I was also interested to see how much they butcher the source material. So here are a few images from my travels.

First up is from the Marie Antoinette dress up game, which is just an all around lamer version of the Rococo dress up game.

Next is Play History: Colonialist Fashion. The game for when you need to express your inner sexy patriotic pilgrim.

Check out those feet!

Finally, no selection of historic dress-up games would be complete without a look at Dandy Maker!

"Milady, wouldst thou care for a jaunt on my unicycle?"

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship
I think one large influence in the dress up game phenomenon is the history of Dollz or pixel dolls/art. Dollz started out as one person's creation that others used for avatars and signatures or in profiles of bios but then communities grew out customizing them, then creating their own.

You would either hand draw the whole thing, or use a doll base someone else made. Simple dolls were made by using the bases and clothing and props and just copy and pasting them. For those who didn't want to draw the dolls there were "doll makers" which could be a flash-game type dealie or literally just a large sheet with the base doll and different hair and clothing on it.

Here is a pretty nice collection of doll makers including several Niki Minaj ones. You can also layer all of the stuff as much as you want. You just right click and "bring to top" and go crazy.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Honorific! posted:

:swoon: Well hello there :swoon:

Hi I'm here to drop off a bunch of avatars from Fat Larry's stream that I just watched, because oh my god. If someone can get an avatar-sized GIF of the LUV <3 LUV robot, that would be super great because I want that as my avatar so bad now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Probably tomorrow evening (depending on how my Homework goes tonight), I'm going to see if I can stream Cartoon Network girl games. I have like 9-ish (mostly, though not all Powerpuff Girls-themed) games lined up if anyone wants to watch.

Originally, I was going to just get some of my college friends to watch and commentate and then upload the recording to youtube, but none of them wanted to watch me play Girl Games. I'm shocked.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Honorific! posted:

Finally, no selection of historic dress-up games would be complete without a look at Dandy Maker!

Clearly a penny-farthing. Shameful.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Honorific! posted:

I made a new ultimate ruffle dress just for you. And added the HUGE FABULOUS HAT for Small Frozen Thing.

Oh yes, it's definitely silly enough. Danke.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

chocolatekake posted:

Jesus! And I thought I was gonna get tospend the weekend creeper free.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Honorific! posted:

It's not as outrageous as the bow gown, because unfortunately there is a hard cap on ruffles. (Secretly, the reason the first one is so bow-tacular is that on the last screen there's a section of things that you can recolor and drag n drop anywhere on your image. Most of those bows on that dress were painstakingly hand positioned. :ssh:)

Oh well, maybe the game's based on the 'Ruffle Drought' period of Rococo, in which demand for ruffles outstripped supply. (I am making this up.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

I love when these things don't automatically remove anything.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Had some fun with the Geisha game

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Compared to all the wonderful submissions already, here is my dull, humble submission for this thread.

Word of the Day is: Date

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Devious Vacuum posted:

If someone can get an avatar-sized GIF of the LUV <3 LUV robot, that would be super great because I want that as my avatar so bad now.

Done. With three flavors, slow, regular or spastic.

Edit: Here's another one. I could probably make one with a better zoom to really capture the Luv <3 Luv or do the zoom with a different speed.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 7, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Honorific! posted:

:stare: I need this for things.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

Mordaedil posted:

:stare: I need this for things.

Here's the link. Have fun!
http://www.dolldivine.com/dandy-maker.php

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Loving this thread. I'm not much of a general gamer, but I have to admit to liking a lot of female-oriented games. I grew up playing all the King's Quest games with my mom so I still like point n clicks and by extension hidden object games. I also get way sucked into match 3 and time management games. Generally, I'm just not into killing things so much, so a lot of games are just not my bag, but even so I have never come across these weird "girl games" somehow.

I find all these games equally as horrifying as anyone else, but one positive I did note from these beauty makeover games is that at least they acknowledge that most people, even celebrities like Selena Gomez, get zits and hairy legs and bushy eyebrows. Even though the messages they send are terrible (that you can't be caught dead with any of these things on your body at any time), at least it's slightly better than a typical teen magazine, which makes you feel that YOU have gross stuff all over your body that you have to take care of, but the girls they feature in their pages are just effortlessly, naturally beautiful.

I also have to say I think I met get the appeal of the facial part of the games. One thing I like about some of the time management/city builder games is the ability to take a messy or run down area and clean it up and transform it into something nice. I personally get a lot of satisfaction out of tidying up, organizing and beautifying a space, it's just the way my brain works, so I can see getting the same satisfaction out of taking a messy looking face and neatening it up. Unfortunately you are also absorbing the terrible message it sends as you do that. :(

I think I'm now going to lose a lot of time on the pretty dress up games. This was my attempt to make a more elegant version of myself (with bonus birds):

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Welp, looks like I made anime PROFESSOR FATE!

Push the button Max...desu

Eh, close enough.

I think I like these dress up games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Lowly posted:

I also have to say I think I met get the appeal of the facial part of the games. One thing I like about some of the time management/city builder games is the ability to take a messy or run down area and clean it up and transform it into something nice. I personally get a lot of satisfaction out of tidying up, organizing and beautifying a space, it's just the way my brain works, so I can see getting the same satisfaction out of taking a messy looking face and neatening it up. Unfortunately you are also absorbing the terrible message it sends as you do that. :(

Speaking of which...
You guys remember the movie Shrek, right? Remember how its message was that you should love and be yourself without trying to conform to other peoples' standards?

Yeah, gently caress that, let's give Fiona a makeover.

Also it's only been a month or so but there's already a dress-up game based off Frozen. http://www.starsue.net/game/Elsa-The-Snow-Queen.html

The background music seemed suspiciously high quality for this type of game ("high quality" being "anything but a five-second loop that's just drums") and I finally managed to find the source which is a song called Little Me by some group I've never heard of. :crossarms:

There is an approximately 0% chance that the site got the license to use this song in its game.

• Locked thread