Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah I was looking for the comic Loquacious mentioned. Couldn't find it offhand, but I did find these Eric Allie megaposts by Saint Sputnik. And this breakdown of UNEMPLOYMENT HIGH cartoons, by Rorus Raz. Both are from the old thread, so you'll need archives to dredge through it.

And here is the comic that perfectly predicted the incredible success of the American economy in the 21st century, a post or two after that Rorus Razpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My favorite Bush Economy cartoon is the McCoy that depicts an Obama voter as a drolling idiot saying they're voting for change while a guy is rolling his eyes as he reads a news paper that says "Economy humming! DOW soars!"

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

This almost gave me an aneurysm, especially because it seems like a Kanye reference, then I realized that this is a genuinely good cartoon. :unsmith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey I'm looking for an old cartoon which shows a "poor stressed out boss at his desk" and a "happy go lucky worker", anyone knows it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kurtofan posted:

Hey I'm looking for an old cartoon which shows a "poor stressed out boss at his desk" and a "happy go lucky worker", anyone knows it?

This one?

Biggest size I could find off hand, sorry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This one?

Biggest size I could find off hand, sorry.

Exactly this one, thanks a bunch!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheDarkFlame posted:

And here is the comic that perfectly predicted the incredible success of the American economy in the 21st century, a post or two after that Rorus Razpost:

That's the one. Good lookin' out. :golfclap: So... was Allie's intelligence faulty, or did he lie? :haw:

Post 9-11 User posted:

This almost gave me an aneurysm, especially because it seems like a Kanye reference, then I realized that this is a genuinely good cartoon. :unsmith:

Darrin Bell is the anti-Skelley. Both of them are responsible for preachy comic strips that not-so-subtly push an agenda as well as much more overt political cartoons. The difference is that Skelley's strip and cartoons are both awful, and Bell's strip is kinda bad but his cartoons are really good (kind of like Mike Peters).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

There were quite a few wingnut cartoonists who spent 2006, when it became evident that the Democrats were about to retake the House (them retaking the Senate was an election day surprise), whining to anyone who'd listen about how Bush's economy was super-great and everything was super-great in Iraq and we should just clap louder and it was so mean that voters were about to throw the GOP out on its rear end. Recall:

"No Domestic Acts of Terror." This freaking guy!

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

"No Domestic Acts of Terror." This freaking guy!

The "white space of nothingness" around the important object is for some reason especially grating in this cartoon.

I think its because the metaphor itself solely relies on the fact that the "Foley tree" is supposed to be, in the reality of the comic, small and insignificant compared to the towering woods.

But when it literally looks like the Foley tree is surrounded by a reality-devouring white light the background forest, along with its labels, does seem completely insignificant.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somebody a couple pages back was complaining about conservatives calling Obama a lame duck without knowing what it means. I'm pretty sure its really just wishful thinking on their part as Obama is steadily becoming more and more powerful as many mainstream republicans are working with him to save face in light of a long series of tea party disasters. At the same time it reminds me of the Bush administration pre-9/11 where they had pretty much lost all their steam just getting in to office because of the election controversy. The first 8 months of Bush's presidency were 6 months of doing nothing and 2 months of vacation.

Can't see the forest through the crosshatching.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The GOP "all fags are evil deviants" party harboring a rampant pedophile? Liberal media bias! That morality gets skewed within a political party is something I can understand, that paid sycophants like Ramirez carry the party line blows my mind. It's not like FOX news, that owns a substantial share of the market by pretending to believe this horse poo poo, he would still have just as much cartooning work if he had reasonable opinions.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

Ahh, so I see this is where we're going next. They won't openly lie about the CBO report, they'll just roll with "waaaah MSM, waaaah Obama spin, etc."

Conservatives actually believe a 60 year old with the financial means to retire actually being able to retire because they no longer need their employer's health insurance is a bad thing. "Because if they want insurance then they should get a loving job instead of stealing my tax dollars."

I think the cartoon is complaining that the media, now that they're correctly reporting on the CBO findings, is portraying this as a good thing. Which is a symptom of them being in love with Obama, and certainly not because it's the truth.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Theris posted:

Conservatives actually believe a 60 year old with the financial means to retire actually being able to retire because they no longer need their employer's health insurance is a bad thing." Because if they want insurance then they should get a loving job instead of stealing my tax dollars."

I think the cartoon is complaining that the media, now that they're correctly reporting on the CBO findings, is portraying this as a good thing. Which is a symptom of them being in love with Obama, and certainly not because it's the truth.

No no, people leaving the workforce voluntarily because they can do so without risking death by preventable disease is a bad thing because we have high unemployment and some of the resulting open positions might thus go to those dirty millenials who otherwise won't buy into obamacare or pay for boomers' social security. It all makes sense if and only if you assume the only goal is complete destruction of civil society.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Post 9-11 User posted:

The GOP "all fags are evil deviants" party harboring a rampant pedophile? Liberal media bias! That morality gets skewed within a political party is something I can understand, that paid sycophants like Ramirez carry the party line blows my mind. It's not like FOX news, that owns a substantial share of the market by pretending to believe this horse poo poo, he would still have just as much cartooning work if he had reasonable opinions.

You're clearly mistaken, Mark Foley is a Democrat.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rodbeard posted:

Somebody a couple pages back was complaining about conservatives calling Obama a lame duck without knowing what it means. I'm pretty sure its really just wishful thinking on their part as Obama is steadily becoming more and more powerful as many mainstream republicans are working with him to save face in light of a long series of tea party disasters. At the same time it reminds me of the Bush administration pre-9/11 where they had pretty much lost all their steam just getting in to office because of the election controversy. The first 8 months of Bush's presidency were 6 months of doing nothing and 2 months of vacation.

That's not what "lame duck" means either, though. It means an elected official who is on the way out and whose successor has already been named, and now they're basically just killing time until their term is up. Typically they spend this time pardoning criminals and setting up the transition of power and that's about it.

There's a Wikipedia article about it, even. It claims the term is supposed to be even more specific, referring to people who have lost their reelection bid when the guy who won hasn't been sworn in yet.

Wikipedia posted:

The term "lame duck President" traditionally is reserved for a President who is serving out the remainder of his term after having been defeated for re-election. In this sense, the following Presidents in the twentieth century were lame ducks: William Howard Taft, who was defeated for re-election in 1912, Herbert Hoover, who was defeated for re-election in 1932, Gerald R. Ford, who was defeated in 1976, Jimmy Carter, who was defeated for re-election in 1980, and George H. W. Bush, who was defeated for re-election in 1992.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I was about to make a joke about Conservapedia saying that "lame duck" means whatever they want it to be, then I decided to look it up. I am such a fool:

quote:

A lame duck is a politician who is in office during that period only, without any chance of reelection, ...
http://www.conservapedia.com/Lame_duck

The genuine definition is fitted into the entry, but the two fabricated definitions explain part of the story. Granted, BARRY OSAMA was a "lame duck" from the moment he was legitimately elected for the first time, so. But he was lame duck in 2013 because welp*.

*Conservapedia citation needed

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

It's powerful, but only if you already understand and agree with the concept of job lock. Conservatives will see it and just think Dems are playing the race card.

EDIT RESPONSE TO VVVVV: I totally hear you, Little Blackfly, but in this case it'll give Republicans ammunition-

loquacius posted:

I dunno if you got this part, but he actually lives in Israel and is a hardcore Likudnik. He's definitely a true believer. He left America in the '60s or '70s and apparently still thinks Jews are an actively oppressed minority instead of one that fratboys and :tinfoil: types are douches about sometimes but that's mostly it.

Um, it doesn't justify Israeli policy(indeed, Israeli policy feeds it), but antisemitism is still a big thing in many quarters, even in the US.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 8, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's powerful, but only if you already understand and agree with the concept of job lock. Conservatives will see it and just think Dems are playing the race card.

It's a political cartoon, it doesn't have to try to be a reasoned argument with the other side.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Have some more Antonio Prohias cartoons!

(not gonna bother translating all that. if anyone wants to try, feel free)

"The Eagle" doesn't hunt "Fly".

Post-Lethargy
"This time I closed my mouth and opened my eyes!"

Human Bridge
Cuba: "Hey Fidel, this is not the deal we agreed to!"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Well need more Bell in this thread, because I'm quickly falling in love with the guy

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

inthesto posted:

Well need more Bell in this thread, because I'm quickly falling in love with the guy

The guy also does Candorville and Rudy Park

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mister Beeg posted:

Have some more Antonio Prohias cartoons!

(not gonna bother translating all that. if anyone wants to try, feel free)

The Two Owners, by Prohias
Once upon a time a man bought a dog...and took it home and petting it, said, "From here on out you're the owner of all this...All my family and I will be only complacent servants, you will be the legitimate owner of this house, you alone will enjoy its comforts...Additionally, starting now you'll be known as 'DICTATOR'."
And then that man concluded, "Such a terrible guardian envious of others deserves so many treasures...and who better than you to conserve them...So night and day you'll be 'provisionally' living in the yard and in order to keep awake you'll only eat a bone in order to avoid getting drowsy from eating."

MORAL: Also once upon a time, all the way in Russia, a military caste found some lowlife. Apparently they named him Owner of the Universe and gave him the suggestive title "Dictatorship of the Proletariat." But he's also been put to guard the yard of his paradise.

Prohias sure hates them Soviets and loves ellipses, huh?

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

To be facing forward while upside down, the skier must've been facing backwards while upright. Meanwhile, the motion lines show the skier finished his flip. Common Day, put some effort into your work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Prohias sure hates them Soviets and loves ellipses, huh?

Apparently, though its rather hilarious quite how wrong he's been proven to be as of now.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Kurtofan posted:

This is the largest version I've ever been able to find

WAGES EVERY WEEK

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Mother. loving. CHRIST.

:thurman:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I'm wondering what you all think of the Prohias cartoons so far. Did your view of "Spy vs. Spy" change because of them?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Not really, since Prohias didn't really use the comic for any meaningful political message.

It does remind me how lovely the Cold War was. Two superpowers exploiting the hell out of other, less powerful countries to try and gain an edge in their global pissing match. Worse, it got capitalism branded as some kind of perfect, benevolent force.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mister Beeg posted:

I'm wondering what you all think of the Prohias cartoons so far. Did your view of "Spy vs. Spy" change because of them?

I like them, it's nice to get some good art attached to the tired opinions of most of the Cuban exiles I've known. Dat Khrushchev and Castro :3:

Since Prohias is clearly cheerleading one side of the whole Cold War, of which Spy vs Spy is supposed to be an allegory, that makes me wonder when/if he changed his tune from "USA GOOD EVERYONE ELSE BAD" to "Both sides are locked in an ultimately farcical conflict." Also it makes me wonder if the Gray Spy represents any group in particular (I assume countries that didn't specifically align ie Yugoslavia, as well as the Third World in general).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

-Um, it doesn't justify Israeli policy(indeed, Israeli policy feeds it), but antisemitism is still a big thing in many quarters, even in the US.

I think this is basically verbatim a thing I've said in previous iterations of this thread (e.g. in response to a particularly tasteless Latuff), but considering the context of a man who has not lived in the US since the '60s claiming Jonathan Pollard is only in prison because he's Jewish I don't think what I said is particularly out of line either v:shobon:v

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Yes. This is exactly what is meant by liberals wanting guns not to fall into the hands of the mentally unstable. We mean republicans. Saw right through that one you did, Muir

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TheDarkFlame posted:

Thanks a bunch for these, guys! The second one especially is just devastatingly perfect.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

War Wizard posted:

Yes. This is exactly what is meant by liberals wanting guns not to fall into the hands of the mentally unstable. We mean republicans. Saw right through that one you did, Muir

No no no they mean veterans. Imagine! A veteran not allowed to own a gun! It's not like they'd have any kind of life experience to render them ill-equipped for that!

...Anyway, I have a request. Anybody remember the comic which had a black woman going off on a whole "mm-mm stimulus" rant that ends with a mummy woman in the background throwing her hands up in the and going "that's just crazy!" What was the name of that? I remember it being an allegorical political webcomic that's made almost no sense but who knows, maybe it's gotten comprehensible since the last year or two anyone's checked.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Government got this one right.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Good Cartoon

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Gravity, how does it work?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

W was the "last one." Obama is the current one. Just sayin'.
This is pissing me off. Being a senator from NY and Secretary of State isn't enough? Does Stantis think she just farted around all day at those posts? What does a woman have to do to be "qualified" to be president?

I know, be born with a penis

Did she just stick the letter in her cooter? :confused:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is the largest version I've ever been able to find

WAGES EVERY WEEK

This one's bigger but has some mildly gross jpeg artifacting.

I kind of want this oneupsmanship to continue until someone finally posts a 300dpi, leveled and cleaned-up lossless PNG of the original Nast Bristol Board, complete with his "seriously, gently caress unions" margin notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Did she just stick the letter in her cooter? :confused:

Well, she's been practicing a lot with that traffic cone lately...

• Locked thread