Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The oleophobic layer will probably scratch but you won't feel it and the layer will rub off eventually so don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

vulturesrow posted:

Never really got a solid answer to this, are their any upcoming announcements/conventions/tradeshows etc, that might make it worthwhile to hold off on my subsidized upgrade? Right now I'm leaning towards the Moto X.

Samsung is announcing the Galaxy S5 at the end of the month, but just go with the Moto X unless you would otherwise want to buy Samsung crap.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Idling shouldn't really be doing much of anything, because the majority of the time it should be in deep sleep. Any performance boost would just be on the tiny fraction of the time it's awake, and we all know Android can be very variable about wakelocks and idle performance. A sample size of two phones is... wacky.

From that survey there was about a 5% increase in battery life for N4 and N5 on idle performance and those two devices have some of the very best idle performances of any phone ever. I said I had about a 25% increase in battery life switching to ART, and I think it was true the first run down, but since then I'm getting a slight performance increase and slight battery (5-15%) increase. The Art part 2 showed significant performance increases on certain tests. If the device completes a task 25% faster on ART then it can slow down the clock 25% faster and would lead to an increase in battery life that could approach 25%.

But I'm on a Moto X Sprint (near constant searching) with Wi-Fi set to never sleep and Bluetooth constantly steaming so my battery life is poo poo anyway (10 hours or so). N5 is not an option for me or I would have gotten that from the start.

I kind of wish I would have gotten a G2 for as poo poo the software is I would probably would be able to get through a single 24 time period without charging. I'm hoping for a Moto X MAXX with a bigger battery and wireless charging soon.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 7, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4.4.2 should be rolling to the X soon (already rolling out to some carriers/devices) and that should hopefully help battery life (and may help with ART crashing play services.)

I know my Nexus 7 had a SUBSTANTIAL jump in battery life after going to 4.4.2 from 4.4. 4.4 is actually pretty poo poo.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

vulturesrow posted:

Never really got a solid answer to this, are their any upcoming announcements/conventions/tradeshows etc, that might make it worthwhile to hold off on my subsidized upgrade? Right now I'm leaning towards the Moto X.

Mobile World Congress is the end of this month and where a ton of announcements of new products are made.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

GokieKS posted:

Mobile World Congress is the end of this month and where a ton of announcements of new products are made.

However those products that might be announced won't be for sale for probably a couple months afterwards. He should really just get the Moto X

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

bull3964 posted:

4.4.2 should be rolling to the X soon (already rolling out to some carriers/devices) and that should hopefully help battery life (and may help with ART crashing play services.)

I know my Nexus 7 had a SUBSTANTIAL jump in battery life after going to 4.4.2 from 4.4. 4.4 is actually pretty poo poo.

It's already available if you want to download and install. I just applied it and it does include the single most important feature change from 4.4 to 4.4.2...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

It's already available if you want to download and install. I just applied it and it does include the single most important feature change from 4.4 to 4.4.2...

He's on sprint. So, different update.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GokieKS posted:

Motorola has already stated that they're not doing any new hardware announcements.

As stated: He should just get the X

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

vulturesrow posted:

You shouldn't be using an upgrade for an X anyway.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ilkhan posted:

You shouldn't be using an upgrade for an X anyway.

Can you clarify that? Why is that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

It's only like $330 new right now.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's only like $330 new right now.

So does that mean I still exercise the upgrade whenever?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I know this is weird for me but I'm kind of excited about the S5 announcement. Unless people have been going through a lot of trouble making fakes, it looks like it will have the correct buttons (as defined by our lord Sundar), TouchWiz will look less like poo poo and the exterior might be made of metal. I certainly don't plan on getting one but I want to see what happens. If Samsung starts making nicer devices then the other manufacturers will have to and we'll all get better stuff as a result.

vulturesrow posted:

You can get one off-contract for $330. You could instead burn your upgrade on a phone that's worth much more (like an iPhone), sell it to someone and end up $400+ ahead, which you use to buy the Moto X.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

So does that mean I still exercise the upgrade whenever?

If you buy it from Motorola directly, your upgrade eligibility isn't used.

So you can use that upgrade on a different phone and sell it, or let a relative use it, or just sit on it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I know this is weird for me but I'm kind of excited about the S5 announcement. Unless people have been going through a lot of trouble making fakes, it looks like it will have the correct buttons (as defined by our lord Sundar), TouchWiz will look less like poo poo and the exterior might be made of metal. I certainly don't plan on getting one but I want to see what happens. If Samsung starts making nicer devices then the other manufacturers will have to and we'll all get better stuff as a result.

You can get one off-contract for $330. You could instead burn your upgrade on a phone that's worth much more (like an iPhone), sell it to someone and end up $400+ ahead, which you use to buy the Moto X.

I hope I'm not derailing too much , but whats the best means of reselling? Ebay? Does the fact that Im on a family plan matter?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The phone is independent of your plan once you pull the SIM out of it (or in this case never insert it.)

If you buy a Moto X from Motorola, all you do is put the SIM in it. If you're coming from a Galaxy Nexus you may need to get a different sized SIM, but that's a basic service. You can just walk into any Verizon store (they have those, right?) and get that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

A MotoX direct from Motorola will come with a new nanoSIM preinstalled.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

But i would still have to get one from Verizon, no?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

But i would still have to get one from Verizon, no?

Nope. Just log into your account and activate it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks for the info guys, I'm glad that aspect was brought up. Might get the wife a new iPhone with my upgrade then and buy the Moto X outright when the tax return rolls in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

AlexDeGruven posted:

An off-contract one from Motorola will come with a T-mobile sim. OP will need to go to the Verizon store to get a sim that's associate with his account and pop it in.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just got my Moto X yesterday (did the limited-time $100-off thing) and the device has, so far, exceeded all of my expectations. Everything feels great. In retrospect it's really hilarious that nerds were raging over its display resolution because the screen is pretty impeccable. It's really odd how slick it feels in the hand compared to how underwhelming it looks in photographs - it could just be that Apple is so stupidly good at product photography that all photos of android phones look like garbage in comparison.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

TraderStav posted:

An off-contract one from Motorola will come with a T-mobile sim. OP will need to go to the Verizon store to get a sim that's associate with his account and pop it in.

You can choose off contract for Verizon on the site. If that comes with a tmo sim, that would be beyond loving stupid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

You can choose off contract for Verizon on the site. If that comes with a tmo sim, that would be beyond loving stupid.

Correct.

Off contact Moto X works for whatever carrier you buy it for out of the box (aside from needing to activate it.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Just got my Moto X yesterday (did the limited-time $100-off thing) and the device has, so far, exceeded all of my expectations. Everything feels great. In retrospect it's really hilarious that nerds were raging over its display resolution because the screen is pretty impeccable. It's really odd how slick it feels in the hand compared to how underwhelming it looks in photographs - it could just be that Apple is so stupidly good at product photography that all photos of android phones look like garbage in comparison.

I wasn't sperging out, when you have the Nexus 5 right next to it it becomes abundantly clear the challenges the AMOLED faces. I still went with the Moto X and the memory of the N5 screen is slowly fading. Still loving this device.

AlexDeGruven posted:

My mistake, I saw the subsidized options for the carriers and the off-contract for T-Mo and assumed it was the only way to get an off-contract version. I had no reason to fart around in the carrier pages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

I don't get it. It's just a different cog.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Not unless you like Samsung. (Get the X.)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mister Macys posted:

We're all just cogs in the machine.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

It's a joke jesus christ. :cripes:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Look closer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

All I see is goatse.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

A few more questions on this: if I were to "upgrade" to an iPhone in order to resell it, are their any gotchas? How much can I expect to get for it? Where is the market coming from? Where do you resell, eBay?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

vulturesrow posted:

A few more questions on this: if I were to "upgrade" to an iPhone in order to resell it, are their any gotchas? How much can I expect to get for it? Where is the market coming from? Where do you resell, eBay?

Sell on eBay or SAmart.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, I bought a nexus 5 at launch which served me admirably until it slipped as I was pulling it from my pocket and cracked. I was quoted $250 and two weeks for repairs. Two months later, I can barely see the screen because it's so fractured and some of the inner workings are visible. I'm also at a training course until the end of the month. My question is this: I have a free upgrade with at&t, so, when I get home in early March, is there a new "killer phone" for at&t I should get or should I send it in to get the screen repaired?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

A few more questions on this: if I were to "upgrade" to an iPhone in order to resell it, are their any gotchas? Where do you resell, eBay?

Don't open the iPhone box, and if you buy at a carrier store, make sure nobody there opens it either.

In addition to eBay and SA-Mart, Craigslist is a good place to try if you live in a decent-sized city.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

Don't open the iPhone box, and if you buy at a carrier store, make sure nobody there opens it either.

In addition to eBay and SA-Mart, Craigslist is a good place to try if you live in a decent-sized city.

I'm looking at the prices on eBay and some 5s are going for what you can get them for in the store unsubsidized...I don't understand the advantage in doing this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

The only downside is that you will be paying a higher monthly rate than you would on prepaid or on AT&T without having a contract. With their new shared plans you pay $15 a month for off contract phones and $40 for on. You can get 2.5gb and unlimited talk and text with At&T service for $45 or 5gb for $55 with AIO. The market is really becoming more favorable for off contract service.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I'm looking at the prices on eBay and some 5s are going for what you can get them for in the store unsubsidized...I don't understand the advantage in doing this.
Well you surely see the advantage if you're the seller. For the buyer the fact is that many users don't understand how the cellphone industry works and don't know you can buy unsubsidized phones without a plan/contract for ****UNLOCKED IPHONE 5S**** is the only way they know to go about getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TraderStav posted:

The only downside is that you will be paying a higher monthly rate than you would on prepaid or on AT&T without having a contract. With their new shared plans you pay $15 a month for off contract phones and $40 for on. You can get 2.5gb and unlimited talk and text with At&T service for $45 or 5gb for $55 with AIO. The market is really becoming more favorable for off contract service.

So people are willing to drop 600 bucks on a phone to save 15-25 bucks a month over two years? I must be missing something still because that doesn't make sense to me.

• Locked thread