Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
That's a badass infographic. Wow, way to go Census bureau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll say, very well put together. I didn't realize just how high immigration from Mexico has been. I mean, I know there are many millions, but graphs and firm numbers just make it so much clearer!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So why did the absolute number of foreign-born residents go down between 1930 and 1970? If anything, I would think WWII and its aftermath would lead to an influx in immigration, but for those numbers immigration would have to be less than death + emigration.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lord Hydronium posted:

So why did the absolute number of foreign-born residents go down between 1930 and 1970? If anything, I would think WWII and its aftermath would lead to an influx in immigration, but for those numbers immigration would have to be less than death + emigration.

There were specific laws restricting immigration, and the vast majority of migrants at the time were from Europe and it was kind of hard to escape the continent for a lot of that time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

There were specific laws restricting immigration, and the vast majority of migrants at the time were from Europe and it was kind of hard to escape the continent for a lot of that time.
Yeah, the US was rather slow to open up for new immigration, and when it did, the initial law favored rural refugees. Which, to the surprise of no one, meant it favored non-Jews. By the time the law was changed to not be so discriminatory, a lot of the Jews that might have gone to the US had gone to Israel instead.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Let's have some maps.

Names of Brazilian states in Portuguese and Tupi Guarani:

And their literal translations in English:

As I understand it, Tupi Guarani isn't easily translatable into English, so some of these translations are subject to dispute. The map makers chose the most plausible or most accepted translations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Brazil's pretty wet, huh?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thick Bushes

Thick Bushes of the South :effort:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Thick Bushes

Thick Bushes of the South :effort:

They used to be a single state, so they just..... yeah ok, :effort:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's have some maps.

As I understand it, Tupi Guarani isn't easily translatable into English, so some of these translations are subject to dispute. The map makers chose the most plausible or most accepted translations.

My favorite by far is "Bad for Navigation." I really wish more place names were like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chairface posted:

My favorite by far is "Bad for Navigation." I really wish more place names were like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Disappointment_(Washington)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What is Portuguese/Brazilian word for river? I see Rio, but also Parana. Maranhao is Amazon River, Acre is Green River, Sergipe is River of Crabs, it's maddening :psypop:

EDIT: Is it the letter "R", because that is the only thing that all the words have in common?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Fear_(headland)

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Disco Infiva posted:

What is Portuguese/Brazilian word for river? I see Rio, but also Parana. Maranhao is Amazon River, Acre is Green River, Sergipe is River of Crabs, it's maddening :psypop:

EDIT: Is it the letter "R", because that is the only thing that all the words have in common?

"Rio" is Portuguese for river. "Paraná", "Acre" and "Sergipe" are all from indigenous languages; "Maranhão" comes from Spanish "Marañón", another name for the Amazon which, given that it also means "cashew", is probably also from an indigenous language (but I can't say for sure).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Basil Hayden posted:

"Rio" is Portuguese for river. "Paraná", "Acre" and "Sergipe" are all from indigenous languages; "Maranhão" comes from Spanish "Marañón", another name for the Amazon which, given that it also means "cashew", is probably also from an indigenous language (but I can't say for sure).

Thanks! Didn't know that Tupi-Guarani is a whole family of languages.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Disco Infiva posted:

I like how you posted that rather bizarre conclusion instead of googling for the etymologies.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

chairface posted:

Cape Hatteras is also called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", its one of the few places in the Atlantic I genuinely fear and respect.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

It's "rio". The important thing to keep in mind is that Tupo-Guarani isn't a single language, it's a language family of around 50 related indigenous languages.

Edit: I should check for replies when I get interrupted while writing a post.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ras Het posted:

I like how you posted that rather bizarre conclusion instead of googling for the etymologies.

I'm sick so currently my brain isn't working properly.

And I wasn't that far off :)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Apparently the first language of most Paraguayans was some form of Guarani as late as the 1860s, even within the mestizo community. Just a little bit of trivia for ya

Language map of Pre-Colombian South America, excluding the Pacific Coast for some reason.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Paraguay has two official languages: Guarani and Spanish. Paraguayans will switch from one to another mid sentence without a sweat.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Squalid posted:

Apparently the first language of most Paraguayans was some form of Guarani as late as the 1860s, even within the mestizo community. Just a little bit of trivia for ya

Guarani is still more widely spoken than Spanish in Paraguay, dude.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That's cool. I don't know anything about Paraguay after 1860ish. No wait, I know Paraguayan leftists killed Somoza after his exile from Nicaragua. Err... actually maybe it was Uruguayans.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ElMaligno posted:

Cape Hatteras is also called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic", its one of the few places in the Atlantic I genuinely fear and respect.

Holy poo poo, why would you even sail there after like, the 50th ship has gone down?! :psyduck:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

DarkCrawler posted:

Holy poo poo, why would you even sail there after like, the 50th ship has gone down?! :psyduck:

Because you have to go through it if you want to sail up or down the eastern seaboard. Sticking to the coast is still a safer option that heading out to sea and it's faster because of the way the ocean currents work. the reason the cape is there is because it's where the north and south bound currents hit each other.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DarkCrawler posted:

Because people don't want things done right, they want them done fast.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This sounds like the setting for an R.L. Stine series.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

chairface posted:

Let's not forget
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_of_Storms

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's have some maps.

I still think it's Minas Tirith every time I read the first half of Minas Gerais. Then it's not and I'm disappointed.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DarkCrawler posted:

Cape Hatteras sucks, but its mostly safe to transit. Its only deadly when the sea conditions get really REALLY bad.

HMS Bounty replica sinking after super storm Sandy in 2012.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

I'll raise you a catastrophe ... http://www.abc.net.au/backyard/shipwrecks/sa/catastrophe.htm

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

The Door Peninsula in Wisconsin is so named because of the treacherous waters there; it's short for "death's door."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Golbez posted:

The Door Peninsula in Wisconsin is so named because of the treacherous waters there; it's short for "death's door."

It's a drat shame they didn't shorten it to "Death Peninsula". :black101:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

US National Trails System

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

sweek0 posted:

Colorado always shows up as very healthy in all research, doesn't it? I've seen a few maps with things like obesity rates demonstrating that in this thread.
Colorado has been the least obese US state for years (just looked it up: since 1990).

In my opinion it's because if you're inclined to be outdoorsy, there's a ton to do here. Denver gets 300 days of sunshine a year and if it isn't sunny then it snowed so hit the slopes.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

BerkerkLurk posted:

Colorado has been the least obese US state for years (just looked it up: since 1990).

In my opinion it's because if you're inclined to be outdoorsy, there's a ton to do here. Denver gets 300 days of sunshine a year and if it isn't sunny then it snowed so hit the slopes.

Sadly, the actual truth is that obesity is strongly correlated with poverty:

More.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poverty and urban planning are basically the two main contributors to obesity rates in north america.

You give people awful food and a city you can't really walk in and have to drive everywhere, you're going to get fat. The south has some of the worst urban sprawl and car-centric development in the US as well as the worst poverty. Outside of north america you will see places with worse poverty but way lower obesity rates due to the people actually walking around all day and their local "poor people food" being way healthier than north american "poor people food".

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Family Values posted:

More.
Huh, interesting, I knew the rich skewed fitter and I thought about all of the rich ski towns up in the mountains but figured it was negligible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Family Values posted:

More.

Does anyone know what's up with Colorado? I get why the mountains/cities would be healthier, but the counties near Oklahoma/Kansas are strangely healthy compared to the ones across the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What do the colors on the map mean?

e: Red areas are poor and blue areas are wealthy?