Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Polite Tim posted:

By that definition the story is going to get hella complicated by Bravely Default IV: Blades of the Patriots
You see, in IV, we learn that no one actually knows any magic. It was actually just nano-machines. All of it. Oh, but there are still ghosts and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For all of Final Fantasy XIII-2's numerous flaws, Chronobind from the Sazh DLC is awesome fun.

I don't suppose anyone made a fan made online version you can play?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

DarkstarIV posted:

I don't think so. Right now the Aeris outfit seems exclusive to the collectors edition of Lightning Returns. Give it a few months and it will probably be released on the PSN/XBL store. CE is $89.99 and can only be gotten through the Digital River/SE store. That's assuming you live in North America. If not, I have no idea how you get the costume.

Digital River does ship internationally. I got my FFXIV Before Meteor OST from there, and I live in Argentina. It took a long time to get here though, and I couldn't track it.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I just checked my local webshops for LR:FFXIII-III and apparantly the Benelux gets its own preorder limited edition. That's...Oddly region specific...

It has both the Cloud outfit and the samurai outfits. A different case cover and that's it. no mention of the Aeris gear.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Butt Ghost posted:

You see, in IV, we learn that no one actually knows any magic. It was actually just nano-machines. All of it. Oh, but there are still ghosts and poo poo.

I'm just looking forward to the spin-off series that uses a Tales-esque action battle system plus a precise-cutting ability to remove the asterisks from bosses' bodies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I hope this is the case, but I'm apparently an Extremely Slow Player. I routinely take over 50 hours to beat FFVI, which I've completed 10+ times already. Of course, I think I waste most of my times in menus or in battle, where time apparently doesn't flow in LR, so maybe I'll be OK.

The thing is that it doesn't really matter how slow you are. You have access to what amounts to nearly infinite stoppable time.

It costs 1 EP to stop time. Fights give between .09 and 2(!) EP a battle. As long as you can finangle getting at least 1 EP per time stop period you'll never run out of time stop. This is slightly harder in town (where there are fewer enemy spawns) but each town areas has a place with a lot of high-level enemy spawns, including 2 EP enemies. The Wilderness and Dunes throw so many enemies at you that it's pretty trivial to remain topped off, at least unless you start exterminating species and if you exterminate species you're probably pretty far into the game anyway.

There are also Chaos Zones which semi-randomly spawn and where enemies are a little harder but which assure you at least 1 EP prize.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 7, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm just looking forward to the spin-off series that uses a Tales-esque action battle system plus a precise-cutting ability to remove the asterisks from bosses' bodies.
Defaulting, son! My body hardens in response to physical trauma. You can't hurt me, Tiz!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You mean Ringabel? You see, Tiz is a sword now, and Ringabel is a steampunk cyborg.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 7, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

You mean Ringabell? You see, Tiz is a sword now, and Ringabell is a steampunk cyborg.

There is no force on earth that would make Ringabel give up his lower body.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Besides, everyone knows Edea is the natural Samurai choice anyway, she even comes with her own katana! And It Has To Be This Way works perfectly for like all of her bossfights!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the X-2 Yuna outfit is from Amazon. Buying FFX HD gets you the FFX outfit (PS3 version only.)

Huh? Square said it was the FFX outfit that you get from Amazon. Not the FFX-2 one.

e: Yeah, from Amazon's page:

quote:

Pre-order Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and get the Cloud Strife’s SOLDIER 1st Class Uniform and Buster Sword DLC PLUS the Amazon exclusive Yuna’s ‘Spira’s Summoner’ outfit, staff and victory pose DLC from FINAL FANTASY X.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DarkstarIV posted:

Huh? Square said it was the FFX outfit that you get from Amazon. Not the FFX-2 one.

That's lovely. I was going to buy X/X2 HD anyways but I would have rather got the summoner outfit than the X-2 one.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's lovely. I was going to buy X/X2 HD anyways but I would have rather got the summoner outfit than the X-2 one.

You are getting the summoner outfit. You are not getting the FFX-2 one. This is the one you get when preordering Lightning Returns. The FFX-2 one was paid DLC released later on, at least in Japan.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 7, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Nope, read my post again. I pre-ordered X/X2 HD which comes with the X2 outfit on PS3 (because I mis-read somewhere that it came with the summoner one). I pre-ordered LR from Gamestop, which comes with the Samurai outfits (and Cloud), so I will not be getting the summoner suit unless I buy it later. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred it the other way.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Anyone want a new Final Fantasy XV trailer?

Well, prepare to be disappointed since it's an abridged version of the e3 trailer. It along with other game trailers were made to hype up the Japanese PS4 launch and trick encourage Japanese players into thinking that the game will come out in a reasonable time frame buying the next installment of the epic Final Fantasy series made possible by the power of the PS4 (and the Xbox One).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sunning posted:

Well, prepare to be disappointed

Fucker.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

Well, prepare to be disappointed since it's an abridged version of the e3 trailer.

As someone who has been waiting over a third of their entire life for this game, that hurt.

I can't believe The Last Gaurdian was confirmed for Winter 2010 at one point, and hasn't been heard from since.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

You're in a Final Fantasy thread and I don't see Yoshida mentioned anywhere.

That loving Sned posted:

As someone who has been waiting over a third of their entire life for this game, that hurt.

I can't believe The Last Gaurdian was confirmed for Winter 2010 at one point, and hasn't been heard from since.

Probably the same thing that happened to Nomura's team also happened to Team Ico. A Japanese developer with a lead designer known for being finicky with details had an ambitious idea for a next gen game. However, an inadequate development philosophy, ballooning manpower costs for HD game development, and a development team that was periodically cannibalized by other internal projects led to numerous development difficulties. In The Last Guardian's case, there should have been an inquiry at Sony about reevaluating the game's scope and repositioning it as a PSP or PSN title in order to get the game out at a reasonable time and quality.

In either case, I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is substantially different from the trailers. Bioshock Infinite was significantly altered from its original trailer due to several development issues. Take2/2K brought in Rod Fergusson from Epic games to do a hatchet job on the game and ship it in on time. It's not unusual for AAA games with development problems to have significant content cut at the 11th hour in order to push the game out and recoup costs.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

From the sounds of it Versus XIII didn't begin production for a long time after the initial 2006 trailer, since both XIII and XIV: A Realm Reborn required all the people they could use to get them finished on time. It was around September 2011 that the game had finally entered full production, with the 2010 gameplay trailer being the work of a small team experimenting with the battle system during pre-production.

I didn't think The Last Guardian had faced similar problems, but Sony's Japan Studio apparently had over a hundred simultaneous projects at one point. There were also rumours that they couldn't get the AI for the creature to work as well as they planned, but Shu insists that the game is still in production, but will not say what console it's being made for.

Another thing holding back FFXV's development is the Luminous Engine, which sounds similar to the problem XIII had with the Crystal Tools engine. Other studios have developed their engines around smaller games that ensure it's ready for the next major title, like Zone of the Enders before Metal Gear Solid 2, and Rockstar Table Tennis before Grand Theft Auto IV, but Square Enix is still trying to make XV on an incomplete engine.

E:

I never noticed the Cactuar there! :3:

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 8, 2014

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

That loving Sned posted:

From the sounds of it Versus XIII didn't begin production for a long time after the initial 2006 trailer, since both XIII and XIV: A Realm Reborn required all the people they could use to get them finished on time. It was around September 2011 that the game had finally entered full production, with the 2010 gameplay trailer being the work of a small team experimenting with the battle system during pre-production.

I didn't think The Last Guardian had faced similar problems, but Sony's Japan Studio apparently had over a hundred simultaneous projects at one point. There were also rumours that they couldn't get the AI for the creature to work as well as they planned, but Shu insists that the game is still in production, but will not say what console it's being made for.

Another thing holding back FFXV's development is the Luminous Engine, which sounds similar to the problem XIII had with the Crystal Tools engine. Other studios have developed their engines around smaller games that ensure it's ready for the next major title, like Zone of the Enders before Metal Gear Solid 2, and Rockstar Table Tennis before Grand Theft Auto IV, but Square Enix is still trying to make XV on an incomplete engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they produced a good deal of assets for FFvsXIII/FFXV but had to throw it out because the game wasn't coming together. This is a bad habit that started to have a huge impact on development costs. They also produced a good deal of expensive CGI for the game which haven't seen the light of day. According to Nomura, several scenes have been changed from real-time to CGI and vice-versa which it not at all a trivial decision.

According studio head Allan Becker, the setup at Sony Computer Entertainment Japan is that all projects share a pool of manpower and teams grow and shrink depending on their needs. More team members are assigned or taken out depending on the stage of production and the importance of the game. It's not an unusual development setup for Japanese game developers since it can make an efficient use of a low headcount. This was manageable up until SCEJ had huge HD projects, such as Gran Turismo 5. According to Ueda (now a freelancer), Knack and Puppeteer took priority over The Last Guardian.

From interviews, FFXV is apparently running on a Frankenstein's monster of an engine comprised of Crystal Tools, Luminous Studio's lighting tech, and customized code.
I'm not sure how big a priority a cross-platform game engine made specifically for Japanese HD development is for the company and its new CEO. Luminous Studio was created to leverage their Visualworks CGI Studio but the Agni's Philosophy tech demo ended up taking months to produce. Square-Enix's focus on mobile and existence of several Eidos specific engines for HD development would mean they're investing resources for a shrinking part of their business.
One of the key people behind Luminous Studio has actually gone on to work at Konami on the Fox Engine. They last I heard about it was a series of tech demos for their Project Flare cloud computing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sunning posted:

From interviews, FFXV is apparently running on a Frankenstein's monster of an engine comprised of Crystal Tools, Luminous Studio's lighting tech, and customized code.
This sounds like a fantastic way to get all the way through development and then wonder why QA keeps complaining about how the game runs at 5FPS after twenty minutes of consecutive play.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Two things I swore I would never do again:

1) Pre-order a game
2) Buy a Final Fantasy XIII title

What has happened to my life?

Since I'm here though - this seemed a little ambiguous so can someone clear up whether the UK digital pre-order version comes with the Cloud stuff? All I saw mentioned on the page was the Theme, and the only people who seem to be talking about the Cloud stuff are GAME.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fedule posted:

Two things I swore I would never do again:

1) Pre-order a game
2) Buy a Final Fantasy XIII title

What has happened to my life?

Since I'm here though - this seemed a little ambiguous so can someone clear up whether the UK digital pre-order version comes with the Cloud stuff? All I saw mentioned on the page was the Theme, and the only people who seem to be talking about the Cloud stuff are GAME.

Based on this thread on the amazon UK site, (and Square's really confused-sounding customer support), seems like it is only available through Game: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloud-Costu...asin=B009E09FKS

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Too lazy to skim huge thread

Is Dimensions worth paying the price of entry? The free chapter was kinda fun but felt deprived of alot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Schwartzcough posted:

Based on this thread on the amazon UK site, (and Square's really confused-sounding customer support), seems like it is only available through Game: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloud-Costu...asin=B009E09FKS

Man, utter bullshit. Especially after they even put a teaser of the victory animation/fanfare in the demo.

I'm not buying a physical edition just for digital content (plus I never deal with GAME if I can avoid it), so I really hope Squeenix pulls their goddamn finger out on this one. It's loving Cloud for gently caress's sake, how would it even occur to them to make it a loving retailer exclusive?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dubious posted:

Is Dimensions worth paying the price of entry? The free chapter was kinda fun but felt deprived of alot.

No.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dimensions is a fun game but I picked it up at a discount; not sure it's worth the current asking price.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Grab it for whatever price point you're comfortable at (it sometimes goes on sale) if you like playing around with job systems. Don't expect terribly compelling story, characters, or environments.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I kind of like Dimensions, but I don't like how long it takes for the game to take the training wheels off. And by the time you get to that point, you're in the endgame chapter.

It's a shame because the game is kind of fun up until that point, it's like a mishmash of Final Fantasy tropes and the story is kind of shallow but is constantly moving until the end.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fedule posted:

Man, utter bullshit. Especially after they even put a teaser of the victory animation/fanfare in the demo.

I'm not buying a physical edition just for digital content (plus I never deal with GAME if I can avoid it), so I really hope Squeenix pulls their goddamn finger out on this one. It's loving Cloud for gently caress's sake, how would it even occur to them to make it a loving retailer exclusive?

The Fight With Style pack (two costumes and Omega Weapon fight in the Colosseum) for XIII-2 was a Game pre-order exclusive as well, before it wound up as DLC, so hope is not lost. Probably your best bet would be to go hunting ebay after release for people selling the codes off. That tends to happen with retailer exclusive DLC these days. I found someone selling off the FFXIII-2 steelbook, the extra preorder stuff (artcards and a novelia, I think) and the DLC for about £4 on ebay. Considering the price of the DLC alone is about £8-9, that's a bargain.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Whenever I rebuy my ps3 i'm likely going to get ff13-3 even though it looks like it took two steps back for every step forward ff13-2 took

also because it's the only final fantasy games I've ever beaten.

Played FF7 till the train graveyard before I put it down and never went back.
Then years later tried again. Made it to the boss.
Years later tried again on steam and used a bunch of mods so it didn't look like poo poo. Made it to the first savepoint.

Ugh. I wish the older games didn't feel like pulling teeth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dubious posted:

It an episodic mobile game glued together so you get one new job every chapter and every chapter follows the exact same design structure (dungeon - linear world map - dungeon - linear world map - dungeon - linear world map - dungeon - JOB!) with close to zero opportunities to go off the game's rails and explore or sidequest. As someone who really enjoyed both FF V and Bravely Default I found the whole experience really lifeless and dull. Of course I quit halfway through so maybe the lategame is amazing and open ended but the same's been said of FF XIII and I didn't think that justified the first 20 hours of corridor running.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
There really is no excitement to be found in LR's release when Type-0's translation is currently being beta tested, and there's even a sample video!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dubious posted:

Dimensions is pretty good, but I cannot imagine a reason to buy it now that Bravely Default is out, unless you've already finished Bravely Default and are in dire need of even more FFV-esque content.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

There really is no excitement to be found in LR's release when Type-0's translation is currently being beta tested, and there's even a sample video!

It looks like they do more interesting things with the l'Cie concept that the entire XIII trilogy does. Apparently it's now working with the emulator PPSSPP, so I won't have to play it on a PSP and get used to The Claw again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah, Dimensions is fine, all in all, but it has its problems, including how basically half of your main cast of characters are either stupid as hell or annoying.

EDIT: Also, just like every FF game, the balance breaks wide open once you get to the endgame. After grinding the Cactuar superboss a couple times and getting enough coins to max every job Aegis had, then having him learn Final Heaven, Shock, White Wind, and Mighty Guard, then getting him into Freelancer and giving him a maxed Memorizer ability set (once you max every job a character has their Freelancer job gains 4 more ability slots), he basically became a walking death nuke that only had half the HP of the rest of the party...but this was post game, and Dimension doesn't really have a post game other than three superbosses that grow in level as you beat them.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 8, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Friends, let us talk briefly about the Tonberry.

I love Tonberries. I've been stoked by them ever since getting mowed down by one in FFVII (though the basic version wasn't even in that game, ha-ha, FFVII had issues). You've got all these technocolored monsters the size of a tractor-trailer stomping around the endgame of FF titles, and in their midst is this little...thing (overlook the fish tail and I can see them as a kind of hobo penguin), stalking around with a lantern and an ordinary kitchen knife. A knife that probably does enough damage to make the game's endboss go cross-eyed and pass out. They're totally inexplicable right down to that little croaking noise they've made in games like FFVIII and FFX, and Square's later characterization of them as cuddly little darkness-dwelling critters which only know supernatural hate makes them even better.

Anyway I just got bushwhacked by one in FFXIII-2 - oh, they learned how to jog on their tiny little legs, how nice, all hope is lost - and it made me nostalgic. I totally need to recruit one of those things at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's an endgame dungeon in FF14 where your party is being constantly stalked by a giant tonberry. If he catches up to you it's pretty much a wipe. Tonberries are great.