Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sometimes I think Tom sets up these scenarios that are just vague enough (for crazy obstinate people) to misinterpret, in order to start fights among his fans. Comic art is just his hobby, his real life's work is poking crazy internet people and watching them argue while he laughs. To which I say, well done sir.

Also, totally called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

JT Jag posted:

You guys who were so certain everyone was seeing the same thing and Annie was just Super Naive or something must be feeling kinda silly now!!

I'm still not convinced.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sometimes I think Tom sets up these scenarios that are just vague enough (for crazy obstinate people) to misinterpret, in order to start fights among his fans. Comic art is just his hobby, his real life's work is poking crazy internet people and watching them argue while he laughs. To which I say, well done sir.

Also, totally called it.

You think so? Then I'll start!

Notice how when Kat asks a question, he points out that Annie is an afterlife guide and should know, not that Kat does.

Kat isn't an afterlife god :colbert:

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

KittyEmpress posted:

You think so? Then I'll start!

Notice how when Kat asks a question, he points out that Annie is an afterlife guide and should know, not that Kat does.

Kat isn't an afterlife god :colbert:

Or maybe Coat Man also doesn't recognize Kat's symbol, just like Skeleton Greeter Man, so he just defaults to something he knows.

...Wait poo poo we're doing it again nooooo

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HoboNews posted:

Or maybe Coat Man also doesn't recognize Kat's symbol, just like Skeleton Greeter Man, so he just defaults to something he knows.

...Wait poo poo we're doing it again nooooo

Next I will discuss how all of Kat's abilities are etheric in nature - she's not a genius, she's just capable of comprehending etheric concepts.

But on a serious note, the comments demanding he move on and get to the point are obnoxious, on the official comments. I don't get why people are so impatient.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Well, this is the only chapter since chapter 30 that has to do with Jeanne, and that was about four years ago so I can see how some people would be impatient.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
My inner old man wants to say "You waited four years, what's a few more weeks?" but while I don't feel the frustration myself I don't get what's such a big deal about airing it in one of the few places people will even know what you're talking about so that they can maybe sympathize.

Heavy Zed fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 8, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
poo poo, was that really four years ago?

I reread huge chunks of Gunnerkrigg from time to time (say, every time someone in this loving thread links a reference stop it you assholes I got poo poo to do) so I sort of lose track of how much time's really passed since Tom wrote a given chapter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea how long it's been since any specific part of GKC really. :shepface:

Although I really don't care, so it doesn't matter v:v:v

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Buttass posted:

poo poo, was that really four years ago?

I reread huge chunks of Gunnerkrigg from time to time (say, every time someone in this loving thread links a reference stop it you assholes I got poo poo to do) so I sort of lose track of how much time's really passed since Tom wrote a given chapter.

You know what my favorite page of Gunnerkrigg Court is?

This one!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Funny enough, I just checked the first page of this thread and we're talking about CH30 in real time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jon Joe posted:

You know what my favorite page of Gunnerkrigg Court is?

This one!
If you're trying to trick me into rereading the entire comic then nice try, I already did that two months ago!!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Tupperwarez posted:

This. It's going to be like, a few paragraphs about the wing's brief (but momentous) existence on the first page, and the rest is blank.

Printed in dot matrix font, of course.

Yeah, due to lack of use the Realm of the (Robot) Dead just doesn't get the same level of departmental funding as the human realm that Annie and Mort are familiar with. Plastic bats, tacky hangings, cheap robes...they had to cut a lot of corners to make that shoestring soul-budget work.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Yeah, due to lack of use the Realm of the (Robot) Dead just doesn't get the same level of departmental funding as the human realm that Annie and Mort are familiar with. Plastic bats, tacky hangings, cheap robes...they had to cut a lot of corners to make that shoestring soul-budget work.
That would be funny if what Kat sees isn't her idea of what the ROTD is like, but rather what the robots think it's like. But they've only sent one guy/piece to the Ether, so their influence is... not impressive.

I'm sure it's probably just her perception of the ROTD, though. Still, would be a fun idea.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tupperwarez posted:

That would be funny if what Kat sees isn't her idea of what the ROTD is like, but rather what the robots think it's like. But they've only sent one guy/piece to the Ether, so their influence is... not impressive.

Which makes me wonder: Does something need a mind in addition to organic functions in order to be sent to the Ether?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How could Jones be an effective "consultant" or whatever if she has no imagination? It makes no sense she would be totally useless.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Unparalleled depth of experience? Why would a consultant need imagination? She's not there to help them come up with stuff.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Unparalleled depth of experience? Why would a consultant need imagination? She's not there to help them come up with stuff.

Some kind of imagination is usually thought to be necessary for very basic problem solving. Jones seems to consult the court on a pretty broad variety of poo poo; I find it implausible that she'd be very good at her job with no imagination.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Ogmius815 posted:

How could Jones be an effective "consultant" or whatever if she has no imagination? It makes no sense she would be totally useless.
Dude, Jones has seen everything first-hand, going all the way back to the Hadean Era. It makes total sense to have her as a consultant - obviously she can't impart knowledge from the past onto the people of the present (case in point: her refusal to tell Annie about the dinosaurs), but she's still got a planet's lifetime's worth of wisdom.

If you've already seen everything that this planet and its creatures have to offer, what's left to imagine aside from nonsensical fantasy?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Example:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zero Star posted:

Dude, Jones has seen everything first-hand, going all the way back to the Hadean Era. It makes total sense to have her as a consultant - obviously she can't impart knowledge from the past onto the people of the present (case in point: her refusal to tell Annie about the dinosaurs), but she's still got a planet's lifetime's worth of wisdom.

If you've already seen everything that this planet and its creatures have to offer, what's left to imagine aside from nonsensical fantasy?

Strictly speaking without any imagination she would not be able to string together sentences she hasn't heard before. And learning her first language would be impossible.

It's pretty implausible she has no imagination.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I don't think she means it so literally when she says she has "little or no imagination". What she's talking about is not having the human propensity to see things that aren't there. Jones can observe what things are and can reason and even invent and predict when she has enough information, but she could never create a myth or guess or speculate. She simply lacks any ambition to use her mind in that way.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jones is pretty much full of poo poo when she talks about how inhuman she is. Yeah sure, keeping a scrapbook of everyone you knew and changing your name for them sure seems like no emotions, yep.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They're not emotions but an incredible simulation of them

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Devil Ed posted:

They're not emotions but an incredible simulation of them

What's the difference?

(serious question)

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

What's the difference?

(serious question)

Whether or not they're spontaneous and internally-driven. An extremely good facsimile of emotions would still primarily be for the observer rather than the one emoting.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Portals posted:

Whether or not they're spontaneous and internally-driven.

Emotions are behavioral responses to external influences filtered through a brain/endocrine system. They're not "spontaneous" in the sense of coming from nothing; they come from the activity of the brain/endocrine system, whose states in turn arise from external stimuli. And they're not "internally-driven" except in the sense that those external stimuli are internalized before they are reacted to. Jones has a mind, and regardless of the nature of that mind (I doubt it is contained in a brain/endocrine system like a human's), she internalizes stimuli and responds to them with behaviors similar to a human's. I don't really see that you've identified any kind of difference.

Portals posted:

An extremely good facsimile of emotions would still primarily be for the observer rather than the one emoting.

I'm not sure that I buy the idea that emotions are "for" anything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Goons trying to understand feelings in this thread.

There's the subjective experience of an emotion, and then there is the objective action which attempts to express the emotion. In humans, the latter is involuntary, and perceiving it often results in the observer experiencing something akin to the same emotion. (This is why it's possible to believe that other people have feelings.)

Jones claims to have extensive experience in understanding and falsifying humans' emotional signifiers, and that despite the intentional outward similarity of her behavior to that of a human, the mind from which that behavior originates is different.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Faking the display of emotions (like smiling to fake being happy) can often be detected because it will look fake. (Hence why people say that you smile with the eyes, not with the mouth.) Jones' smiles is apparently fake in an uncanny way.

And inversely, attempting to prevent your emotions to show through is hard. This is why dedicated poker players may use botox -- not to erase wrinkles and appear younger, but to kill their facial muscles and ensure a constant poker face.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DontMockMySmock posted:

What's the difference?

(serious question)
To an observer? Nothing. To the observed? Everything.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

All Goons are actually robots.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Beep boop I am a robot

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Goons trying to understand feelings in this thread.

There's the subjective experience of an emotion, and then there is the objective action which attempts to express the emotion. In humans, the latter is involuntary, and perceiving it often results in the observer experiencing something akin to the same emotion. (This is why it's possible to believe that other people have feelings.)

Jones claims to have extensive experience in understanding and falsifying humans' emotional signifiers, and that despite the intentional outward similarity of her behavior to that of a human, the mind from which that behavior originates is different.

None of this is actually clear.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Philosophy aside, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp. When you want to fake a smile or a laugh, you generally don't just smile or laugh, you make yourself feel like smiling or laughing. Or at least I do.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Splicer posted:

To an observer? Nothing. To the observed? Everything.

Exactly. My point is, if there is a difference, which there probably is, it's entirely internal to Jones and we only have her word on that part of it. So there's not really any practical difference, and she should be treated just as if she did have the emotions it looks like she has.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DontMockMySmock posted:

Exactly. My point is, if there is a difference, which there probably is, it's entirely internal to Jones and we only have her word on that part of it. So there's not really any practical difference, and she should be treated just as if she did have the emotions it looks like she has.
This doesn't hold up for two reasons.

1) Jones has some form of motivation, otherwise she would have spent the past several billion years standing perfectly still staring off into the distance. I'm not saying she has a long term plan, but she is not a completely blank slate. Something caused her to wander around amidst the dinosaurs and (eventually) start trying to emulate and fit in with Humans. If she really is just mimicking our social behaviours it begs the question; why bother?

2) Even if the above weren't true, Jones is still a character in a story we are reading. Character motivations in a story are something the reader cares about even if they aren't practically relevant. What's going on in Jones's head does matter, if only because we, the readers, care about it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 9, 2014

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
So what is our conclusion on Jones?

...Have we reached a conclusion yet? I'm completely lost on this whole conversation :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She doesn't have human emotions. That's not the same as not having intentions, only of experiencing intention in a different way than human minds do. One subjective description of her mind that she offered - that of having perfect recall of everything she has ever experienced - is already extremely alien.

She intentionally gives the impression of being something like a human in order to gain access to human society, which is useful to her. That includes faking the emotion that is most superficially consistent with her demeanor, which is to say, slightly condescending and dispassionate curiosity. She hasn't perfected the subtleties of emotional expressions she needs less.

Humans can - and are eager to - describe the subjective experience of having a human mind, as is Jones of having Jones' mind, so I think she can be trusted when she says they're not the same. However, it's probably the case that, because she's never contacted a mind like hers and seen it, as it were, from the outside, there are things she does not know about her own mind.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I don't think there's a conclusion we can reasonably come to, and I feel like that's explicitly the intent. Tom laid out two points of view in The Stone; one from Jones and one from Annie. We can believe one or the other or some mixture, but there is no definitive statement on which is correct. There may be additional evidence in future chapters that sheds light on it, or there might not be. This is one of those things that may be more interesting as a topic of discussion than a settled fact; just look at all the interesting things people have been saying about it for the last couple of pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Jones exists as a character to get us to think about Mind and the true source of emotions.