Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please help me with playing a German count or duke in the HRE. I don't understand how to do anything being under the control of a greater liege. Also are there any Hohenzollern?

Play as the Duchy of Saxony. It's fun and very straightforward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please help me with playing a German count or duke in the HRE. I don't understand how to do anything being under the control of a greater liege. Also are there any Hohenzollern?

It's the same as being independent except that your liege sometimes raises part of your troops for warfare. As long as the realm has medium crown authority or less, you can still wage wars outside the realm. Also you get to be on the receiving end of things like nominations to council positions, competing in tournaments, being invited to feasts, etc., and on the giving end of things like starting factions. I think it's actually more fun to be a vassal than to be a liege!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Something to keep in mind is that you have no special relationship with your fellow vassals, you can falsify claims on them, declare war on them, all the stuff that you can do to independent realms. Also, your liege is not allowed to aid either one of you. So, for all intents and purposes, a liege is just a guy you owe taxes and troops. Higher crown authority changes this up, especially if you've got a liege who like to revoke titles, but that's why God made factions.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also are there any Hohenzollern?

There is one in the barony of Zollern. I think it's in the county of Furstenberg. You need to start the game as the Holy Roman Emperor/King of East Francia and give him a county somewhere so that he is playable.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Disco Infiva posted:

There is one in the barony of Zollern. I think it's in the county of Furstenberg. You need to start the game as the Holy Roman Emperor/King of East Francia and give him a county somewhere so that he is playable.

Is that even possible in Ironman? Do they ever get a county title on their own in some other year?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that even possible in Ironman? Do they ever get a county title on their own in some other year?

I can't remember :shrug: Check Brandenburg or Shwabia, they should be there if they are.
If you have COA packs they have a neat unique COA!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I have a question about the events that activate crusades. Here's an example:

pre:
# THE START OF THE CHRISTIAN CRUSADES - ROME HAS FALLEN
narrative_event = {
	id = 39662
	title = EVTNAME39660
	desc = EVTDESC39662
	picture = GFX_evt_pope
	border = GFX_event_narrative_frame_religion

major = yes

show_ROOT = yes
	hide_new = yes

only_playable = yes
	min_age = 16
	only_men = yes

trigger = {
		religion = catholic
		controls_religion = yes
		NOT = { has_global_flag = christian_crusades_unlocked }

333 = { # Rome
			owner = {
				OR = {
					NOT = { religion_group = christian }
					is_heretic = yes
				}
			}
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 3
	}

immediate = {
		set_global_flag = christian_crusades_unlocked
	}

option = {
		name = EVTOPTA39660
		trigger = {
			religion_group = christian
		}
	}

option = {
		name = EVTOPTB39660
		trigger = {
			NOT = { religion_group = christian }
		}
	}
}
Who do the highlighted clauses apply to? I would have assumed all the clauses in the event would apply to the Pope, not the player, but the "only_playable" seems to suggest this is refers to the conditions for me, the player, since the pope is not playable. But if "only_playable" means the event only fires for me, does this mean that running enatic succession means crusades will never activate because my character is never going to meet the "only_men" clause?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I would guess that is_playable is not the same thing as "is the player's character". So maybe if every single playable character was a woman in an enatic kingdom then it might be an issue. Basically, as soon as the event ticks for one of the 1000~ rulers, everybody gets the notification that it's unlocked.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Allyn posted:

I would guess that is_playable is not the same thing as "is the player's character". So maybe if every single playable character was a woman in an enatic kingdom then it might be an issue. Basically, as soon as the event ticks for one of the 1000~ rulers, everybody gets the notification that it's unlocked.

That seems plausible. Certainly, the event fired despite my ruler being a woman, so it can't be either of the options I had put forward.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It applies to the pope, and is largely unnecessary in light of the other conditions. is_playable, to the best of my knowledge, just rules out unlanded people and barons; it doesn't look at government type.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jolan posted:

How do you ever get enough money to buy those things? If I'm not going NK, I'm lucky to have enough gold to go hunting every year. If I'm a duke/king/emperor, raising taxes even a bit leads to loads of opposition. I really don't get how to make money in this game.

As Norse? Raid the hell out of southern England and Ireland. The residents of Kent, Desmond and Ormond should never know what it's like to live in a town not on fire.

DrSunshine posted:

I think it's actually more fun to be a vassal than to be a liege!

It really is, even if just playing normally means it'll never last. More plots, more decisions and you get to be on the receiving end of the vassal rear end kissing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

It applies to the pope, and is largely unnecessary in light of the other conditions. is_playable, to the best of my knowledge, just rules out unlanded people and barons.

would this mean a catastrophically unsuccessful Pope who loses Rome before any of the other triggers would be unable to ever call Crusades?

...:getin:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Excelzior posted:

would this mean a catastrophically unsuccessful Pope who loses Rome before any of the other triggers would be unable to ever call Crusades?

...:getin:
No, because he would still hold the papacy itself, which is a king-level title.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Looking at their family tree from the last start date it looks like they become counts of Nurnburg in 1192.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

No, because he would still hold the papacy itself, which is a king-level title.

The papacy also has a special tag making it indestructible. No matter what, there will always be a pope.

This actually screwed me once while trying to make a mod: I'd accidentally set my new custom title to have that tag, and set it up to be created via a decision. However, as you'd expect, one of the conditions for the decision was that nobody hold the title; which could never occur given the tag I'd (stupidly) added. I figured out what was going on when I did a Title Search for my modded title, and found it being held by some schmuck in Paris.

(the tag is is_unlanded)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Allyn posted:

Oddly it's actually only_playable, not is_playable. Is there any difference between the two at all?

(It always surprises me how little information is readily available for modding this game, the wiki is really terrible)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oddly it's actually only_playable, not is_playable. Is there any difference between the two at all?

(It always surprises me how little information is readily available for modding this game, the wiki is really terrible)

You know what, since I keep starting up mod ideas only to reconsider or realize I can't implement them, I think my next project is going to be filling out the CKII wiki's modding resources. Because there really should be some proper documentation somewhere.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Being a vassal restricts you in basically three major ways. First of all, you're subject to the vassal restrictions in the Crown Laws, and can't change them except by forming a faction; how much this really affects you depends largely on the kingdom's crown authority. Secondly, depending on the Crown Laws, your liege will be able to raise a certain portion of the troops from each of your holdings as their own levies, and if the realm has feudal taxes then you'll also forward a percentage of your monthly tax income to your liege. Thirdly, there'll be a lot of interactions independent characters never see, such as being invited to (or having an ambition to be) a member of your liege's council, having your liege force you to end your plots or faction membership, or having your liege scheme against you; whether your liege treats you well or poorly depends a lot on his traits and on your relations with him.

Aside from that, your relationship with your liege is largely neutral. He typically won't interfere in your wars, and other than the levies you're obligated to provide him, you're not required to participate in his wars. You can go to war against people outside the realm unless Crown Authority is maxed out, and if Crown Authority is low enough then you can even go to war against fellow vassals (lieges are prohibited from joining either side in a war between their vassals). There's also a whole lot of stabbing and scheming you can do, and it's usually pretty easy to set up favorable marriages among your fellow vassals. And the whole time you're doing all this, your lord is protecting you from outside entities who'd otherwise pick a fight with you, so the only real threats to you are your liege, your fellow vassals, and any wars you started. As long as you don't piss off your king/emperor too badly, it's a lot like Ireland in that it's a great environment for getting a nice, streamlined experience of clawing your way to the top while only really having to deal with your immediate neighbors of comparable size and being isolated from strong foes.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I just took over the Byzantine Empire because my momma was a born in the purple, legit Princess. How do I start the event to remake the Roman Empire?

I'm Norse, if it makes any difference.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

I just took over the Byzantine Empire because my momma was a born in the purple, legit Princess. How do I start the event to remake the Roman Empire?

I'm Norse, if it makes any difference.

You have to be Christian (of any type) to recreate Rome. Otherwise, you just need to collect certain duchies in Italy, Byzantium, and the Middle East.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I have a question about the events that activate crusades. Here's an example:

Who do the highlighted clauses apply to? I would have assumed all the clauses in the event would apply to the Pope, not the player, but the "only_playable" seems to suggest this is refers to the conditions for me, the player, since the pope is not playable. But if "only_playable" means the event only fires for me, does this mean that running enatic succession means crusades will never activate because my character is never going to meet the "only_men" clause?

"only_men" and "only_playable" means the event filters out every character who is not a playable male (i.e. no barons, inland republics, theocracies or unlanded [depending on the DLC you have, non-christians and patricians may or may not get filtered out] ) before it bothers to check the trigger conditions for the event.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

You have to be Christian (of any type) to recreate Rome. Otherwise, you just need to collect certain duchies in Italy, Byzantium, and the Middle East.

RIP

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you play as a Pagan ruler trying to form Russia can you convert to Christianity at some point?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you play as a Pagan ruler trying to form Russia can you convert to Christianity at some point?

Yes. In fact, there will usually be a line of priests charging into your desmense to convert you or your vassals. This is a great renewable source of cash (imprison, ransom) until you reform the pagan faith.

E: Also, if you send your heirs to the Varangian Guard at every opportunity, they will eventually get converted to Orthodoxy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EightDeer posted:

"only_men" and "only_playable" means the event filters out every character who is not a playable male (i.e. no barons, inland republics, theocracies or unlanded [depending on the DLC you have, non-christians and patricians may or may not get filtered out] ) before it bothers to check the trigger conditions for the event.

only_playable can't be filtering out unlanded characters or theocracies though, because the Papal States is a theocracy, and the only person who meets the trigger conditions is the pope. Someone else suggested that only_playable merely filters out characters ranked baron or untitled, that seems to make more sense.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Reveilled posted:

only_playable can't be filtering out unlanded characters or theocracies though, because the Papal States is a theocracy, and the only person who meets the trigger conditions is the pope. Someone else suggested that only_playable merely filters out characters ranked baron or untitled, that seems to make more sense.
Maybe it's checking to make sure there's a Christian leader who is potentially playable, i.e., it won't trigger if you can wipe out Christianity entirely first?

I don't know :confused:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got it into my head to play a Norse Georgia game (so that I could convert and mod in a Nordic Cross Georgian flag for myself), and soon in Armenia declared a holy war while I was out of money to get some mercenaries to protect myself. So, converted a bit early, whatever. More marriage choices in the area. Things are going pretty good so far, it's been 20 years, I got my son married to a Byzantine Princess, which led to me being called into the Byzantine holy war for Cyprus. Ok, whatever, small country. Turns out that the Byzantines don't know how to get their armies onto boats. The Cyrpus muslims have like, 1080 guys, the Byzzies have, just in one province, over 5000. But they keep moving their boats over, not loading any troops, raising and dismissing vassal levies over and over, sailing boats by Cyrpus... I just watched (I couldn't raise any boats, I just joined for assuming they'd handle it) as the war score ticked to -100% and the Byzantines lost.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
What was the advantage to creating vassal theocracies again? I know republic vassals are good for bringing in the big money, so I've created two during my Byzantine expansion, but I seem to recall theocracies being regarded as great for some reason but I can't remember why. Was it just that they're particularly stable since they tend not to get involved in feudal power games, or something like that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Main Paineframe posted:

What was the advantage to creating vassal theocracies again? I know republic vassals are good for bringing in the big money, so I've created two during my Byzantine expansion, but I seem to recall theocracies being regarded as great for some reason but I can't remember why. Was it just that they're particularly stable since they tend not to get involved in feudal power games, or something like that?

This. You get no "wrong government" penalty from theocracies, the bishop AI basically does not expand, they cannot get big realms through inheritance, they cannot form alliances through marriages, they are pretty tame and will not really try to plot or form factions against you, you can have temple taxes without an opinion penalty and (if you are Christian) free investiture is a big opinion boost.

Basically, in the pre-SoA times when you made a realm only consisting of theocracies you would never ever have trouble with vassals unless you deliberately provoked them.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm dumb. When I get asked to join a war by my brother in law (or whatever), is there any easy way just to say 'Sure, here's a few troops.'? There's so many soldiers stamping about all over my map right now that I have no idea who is who and don't know where to send my own army.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Are there any decent flavour event pack mods out there? Just looking for something to add some life to my court and family, without a load of extraneous poo poo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe it's checking to make sure there's a Christian leader who is potentially playable, i.e., it won't trigger if you can wipe out Christianity entirely first?

I don't know :confused:

Nope, that couldn't be it because the event has a clause to show the root character of the event, and when the event fires it shows the Pope. It is definitely firing for the pope, which means the Pope's title must fall under the "only_playable" clause.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rather Dashing posted:

I'm dumb. When I get asked to join a war by my brother in law (or whatever), is there any easy way just to say 'Sure, here's a few troops.'? There's so many soldiers stamping about all over my map right now that I have no idea who is who and don't know where to send my own army.

Well, you could just ignore the war, he won't hold it against you as long as you officially joined him.

To see who is who, allied troops are colored blue, and enemy troops are colored red (and yours green), so you can either follow one of the blue armies around with your troops to help them fight/siege, or you can go around smashing red armies.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ulmont posted:

Yes. In fact, there will usually be a line of priests charging into your desmense to convert you or your vassals. This is a great renewable source of cash (imprison, ransom) until you reform the pagan faith.

E: Also, if you send your heirs to the Varangian Guard at every opportunity, they will eventually get converted to Orthodoxy.

You can also just convert by decision if you have a wife/concubine of the appropriate religion. Or if someone Holy wars you.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rather Dashing posted:

If you can find your brother's troops, and you don't feel like actually paying attention to their war: you can move whatever troops you want to give them to their stack, and while in the same province you can select the little chain-link button on your army to link them to their army so they'll just follow them automatically.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've found a few interesting effects you can tie to historical character dates: name, culture and religion can change. Anyone know if traits can be added or removed? I've tried date={add_trait="whatever"} but that crashes the game when you look at the character.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Maybe you just tried to add a trait that doesn't exist/has a typo.

You're doing this in the character files and not an event, right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I tried it with 'strong', and inside the character entries.

Maybe it requires a slightly different format?

1000.1.1={effect={add_trait="strong"}} ? That's what culture and religion use.

I don't know why it would crash only when you look directly at something, but CK2 seems to do that in general. For example, if you make a nonsensical family tree, it will work as normal until you look at the family tree panel, which crashes the game when it tries to render someone as their own parent. Another time it would crash when you zoomed in closely to a particular province, and presumably it was caused by the game failing to render the 3D city objects after being given broken holding entries.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 8, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shadeoses posted:

I tried it with 'strong', and inside the character entries.

Maybe it requires a slightly different format?

1000.1.1={effect={add_trait="strong"}} ? That's what culture and religion use.

did you try it without the quotation marks? And/or without the effect clause?

EDIT: Missed that you'd mentioned you'd first tried it without the effect clause. Alternative, have you tried it with just the clause "trait" instead of "add_trait"?

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

did you try it without the quotation marks? And/or without the effect clause?

The first attempt was like this:

1000.1.1={add_trait="strong"}

Which is consistent with other date entries, but didn't work. The effect clause is used to make religion and culture changes happen, so it may apply to something like traits.

• Locked thread