Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010

Heyyyyy I know this guy! We met you two yesterday at Sante Adairius. My husband and I own Buddy, the dumb little mutt puppy.

Seriously guys this dog is so sweet and also the entire reason I was brought to this thread. Now I want five greyhounds at least. I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah Union had three beds, but mostly because I couldn't be arsed moving one bed all over the place. She did always want to be in whatever room I was in.

This came up on my tumblr, http://youtu.be/RGkiq3W-XGo It is a yearlong video of a greyhound taken in one-second-every-day clips. You get a surprisingly good picture of a sweet doggie :)

Egads did that re-ignite my want of a greyhound

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

RazorBunny posted:

I think at Maximum Dog Bed we had six of the big Costco beds in our house - one in the kitchen, one in the dining room, one in the den, one in the basement, one in our bedroom, and a "floating" one we moved around if we needed to.
My mother had one dog bed for her dog, then the cat took it, then she got another dog bed, then the other cat took it. The dog sleeps on a rug now.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

a life less posted:

I want one of these.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/oddities.html doesn't know much about it. Those are cool-looking dogs though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

My mother had one dog bed for her dog, then the cat took it, then she got another dog bed, then the other cat took it. The dog sleeps on a rug now.

Nibbler likes to sleep exactly in the middle of the biggest dog bed he can find. Fortunately Leela has a certain level of disdain for dog things, and prefers to sleep in a cat bed or on one of the high platforms of the cat tree. Or on my clean laundry.

I didn't manage to get a photo before they moved, but at one point I had three dog beds in a row in my living room. Husker was in one, Aslan the 4-month-old GSD puppy was in the next, and Nibbler was in the third.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEQTi9L3dE

It's 5 degrees out, let's go to the dog park! No matter the weather, she typically only does a few laps and then goes to stand by the gate until I get the idea and take her back home to her beloved futon.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Chainsaw McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEQTi9L3dE

It's 5 degrees out, let's go to the dog park! No matter the weather, she typically only does a few laps and then goes to stand by the gate until I get the idea and take her back home to her beloved futon.

Hee hee hee hee, Bean is a cute name. :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Birthday party for my girl Abby (you can see a bit of her face, just to the left of the hot dogs) and Sugar (her owner, who hosted, is in the center, and Sugar is the one next to her with the pink bandana). I'm the headless person to the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

actionjackson posted:

Birthday party for my girl Abby (you can see a bit of her face, just to the left of the hot dogs) and Sugar (her owner, who hosted, is in the center, and Sugar is the one next to her with the pink bandana). I'm the headless person to the right.

If that was my house all the time, I think I would finally be happy.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

actionjackson posted:

Oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!! And aww look at that little 'un sitting on the chair. :3:

So cute to see Abby again, too. I hope she's settled in finally!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, she's doing just fine. She's six now, weighs about 72 pounds and it's going in the house anymore (I keep her in my/her bedroom when I'm at work).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you know how many dogs there were in that?! I think I counted 13 but I suspect there are more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got 15. I think there were 16 there total.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Guys...I'm getting a dog. NEXT WEEKEND. :stare:

Her name is Atascocita Venus. I usually try not to name pets before I actually own them, but I had really wanted to name a dog Freya and it seems fitting that she's already named after another goddess of love!

lol look at her big jackass ears :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congrats, that's a huge female, just like my Abby. What is her weight right now? I assume she is just off the track.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

She's only 55 pounds oddly enough. She must have some crazy proportions in real life.

Right now she's in the custody of the Sunburst Project, which is an intermediary kennel for dogs straight off the track. According to her profile on the greyhound data site, her last race was in June, so she hasn't raced in a while it seems.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 1, 2014

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Girl ran in a lot of races, wow.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Seriously. 154 races, 20 wins, 36 second places. The most any of her litter mates ran were 63. :psyduck:

Speaking of greys, there were two in the ER yesterday who had gotten into a bottle of Motrin and were on an ibuprofen toxicity watch. The little female was the sweetest thing. I was talking to her through the kennel door and she would roll over on the side for a belly rub. I deeply regret being too busy at the time to stop and oblige her. :3:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Adam ran in 177 :colbert: winning 20 and placing in 34. And yet did no breeding, I dunno.

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring supremacy 4 evarrrr.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
You guys bragging about races? Best this- one of our boys raced in ten races. FINISHED two.... That's right, not placed, finished :smug:

Watch out world

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Teacup what a great doggie smile!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They're getting along fairly well:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

No dog tomorrow. The hauler the rescue uses is stuck in Kansas because of a snowstorm and won't make it to Florida to pick up the dogs in time. D-Day is rescheduled for the 15th.

I've been waiting almost four years, but this next week might kill me! :emo:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

The waiting is so tough! We were approved to adopt 2 weeks ago but they haven't found the right dog for us yet I guess (haven't heard from them since they told us we were approved) I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas checking my email every couple hours. I keep telling myself to be patient but it's hard!

Hang in there Pastor!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Truthfully, next weekend is probably better anyway since I have off for four days. Much better for getting a new dog acclimated.

Crossposting these pictures from my TFLC log: Layla keeping the dog bed warm in the mean time.

In true catte fashion, she prefers the box it came in.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Gonna introduce Mona to the new baby today!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

teacup posted:

You guys bragging about races? Best this- one of our boys raced in ten races. FINISHED two.... That's right, not placed, finished :smug:

Watch out world

Was his racing name "Honorable Mention"? Because that's hilarious.

He seems like a big, happy, gentle goof so I don't think there's a problem in the world with this.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had a few questions for this thread. I recently joined a very dog friendly company, so I'm looking at getting a dog to bring to work, and I'm currently leaning towards a greyhound. I won't be able to actually take a dog home for about 5-ish months (which is when my current lease expires; I'll be moving to a dog-friendly apartment then). I've been to a couple events hosted by the local rescue organizations, confirming that they are indeed cool dogs. My questions:

The policy is if a dog ever attacks another dog (or person), then it's banned, and I might need to return it, which would be awful. I have no concerns about people, but there are other small dogs around. Should I only be looking at the cat friendly greyhounds just to be on the super safe side, or are small-dog friendly greyhounds probably trustable?

I suppose this is kinda a question more for one of the rescues, but is is too soon to consider meeting individual dogs, knowing that even if I found the perfect one I'd couldn't take it home for a few more months?

What should I be looking for when I go to visit some? I would assume look for the ones that come up to me and are friendly, but don't want to dismiss others who might be just as great, but are just kennel-depressed.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Small dogs and cats seem to be fairly different things for dogs. My dogs both go on high alert near cats, despite both fostered in a house with a cat, and I wouldn't trust them near one, but neither have had any trouble with small dogs. This depends on the individual dog, but as long as you are supervising, they are Probably Trustable.

I would wait until you're closer to a month away from when you're ready for a dog to start looking for an individual dog. It might be a good idea now to start figure out what personality you want and let the rescue find a dog that suits you, but I wouldn't get you heart set on one.

(http://camodad.com/archives/186)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

:lol:

No dog this weekend. :( The snow has ONCE AGAIN delayed the hauler so it's been rescheduled for the 22nd. I was kind of expecting this to happen again but I'm still really disappointed.

e: The more I think about it, it's probably better if the snow has all melted when she gets here anyway. These dogs are coming from Florida and have probably never even seen snow before, so that's one more "newness" factor to cut out. Still...:sigh:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 14, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I'm up in Canada and my greyhound is from Texas. He adjusted to the snow very quickly. I did get him in the summer though so it was a more gradual introduction though.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Well we finally heard back from the rescue on Tuesday, apparently their on-site coordinator was on vacation for the last three weeks and the local coordinator was ill. Five weeks in and we aren't really sure what happens next though our vague sense is that they are in the process of looking for a dog who will be a good match for us. Can't rush something that is this important!

Goons please post more pics to help me be patient! We know it will be worth it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Fuzz Feets posted:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Awwww you guys are the best! Looks like we are shooting for a mid March adoption day. Fingers crossed.

Berryblood
Sep 12, 2009

I need to make this for dog shaming/it makes me laugh/it's cold and he needs a hat purposes. That's beautiful.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

ugh I can't stop looking at martingale collars

i bought this one :ssh:

T-minus 6 days!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 19, 2014

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I've had a collar picked out for months, but I want to wait for an accurate neck measurement before I order :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I almost didn't order one because of that, but truth be told I will probably end up ordering another one anyway because my husband was pretty ">:-{" about my choice.