Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I didn't see this in the first few posts but what's the cost per month on elite and the rewards? I haven't played since this came out and I appear to have Founder status when I log in but no indicator to what that gets me. About the only thing I care about is having like 4 or so character slots and maybe grabbing an account mount.

Edit: Even the en masse account website says gently caress all about what seems to be included.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Founder gets you a free account-wide mount (It's an electric blue horse... thing), the full 8 characters per server, full bank slots 30 brokerings. Founder will never cost more money.

Elite gets you a unique mount that is on rotation (It changes relatively frequently). Two entrances of the "once-daily" dungeons, a double xp from quest (1 day cooldown), double money from quest (same as other) and double daily reputation turn-ins. 50 brokerages and 0% broker fee. You also get a book that lets you teleport to any flight area instantly with no cd, great for new 60s to do their rep grinds. $15 per 30 days.

That should be everything important (Haven't used elite since around the turn to F2P, but things shouldn't have changed much)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
They recently changed some of the elite benefits so now you get a free permanent item every month. For Jan, its a dyeable steampunk outfit.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/kumasylum-opens-and-elite-changes

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Been playing with my Popori berserker I had left at level 30 back in the day, and with the elite status + avatar weapons I'm really having a LOT more fun playing Tera, very glad I came back to it.

Plus I remember why I loved the popori animations so much.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I might just be really dumb, but is there a way to get more bag slots?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Been playing with my Popori berserker I had left at level 30 back in the day, and with the elite status + avatar weapons I'm really having a LOT more fun playing Tera, very glad I came back to it.

Plus I remember why I loved the popori animations so much.

Speaking of Avatar weapons, am I missing something obvious or do you just level waaaay too fast to actually get one early game? I got to 4/10 for the first one and I'm already level 20, where I'm getting blue weapons with better stats than that.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

AlphaDog posted:

I might just be really dumb, but is there a way to get more bag slots?

Once you get off the newbie island, you should get a quest 'inventory expansion' or something which will give you an extra row of slots for free. Then you can buy 4 additional rows from the popori guy there for 15silver, 3g, 80g, and 100g respectively. Finally, you get another row of slots each from getting to lvl50 and lvl60. In total, you'll end up with 12 rows / 96 slots. Someone correct me if I missed one!

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of Avatar weapons, am I missing something obvious or do you just level waaaay too fast to actually get one early game? I got to 4/10 for the first one and I'm already level 20, where I'm getting blue weapons with better stats than that.
The piece drops are normalized to your exp, so you should always complete your avatar weapon around the end of the level it's for. ie. your level 20 weapon should complete when you're getting close to level 21. The stats are a little low for their level but they have a bonus crit rate on mobs 'close to the same level', which makes them awesome for dungeons which are almost always around the same level as your latest avatar weapon. It's not obvious because it doesn't say anything on the tooltip about it.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah the stats seem lower but they have a near 100% crit chance so everything explodes. They are super OP.

Elite now gives you:

6x double exp boosts per day.
6x double gold boosts per day.
6x double quest gold boosts per day.
6x double reputation boosts per day.

a unique 280 movespeed mount.
a 30 day village atlas (which lets you teleport to every town/city rather than go to pegasus platforms or buy teleport scrolls).
a 30 day travel journal (set 5 waypoints that you can teleport to).
a free costume.

up to 5 pages of broker listings per character (non elite = 2 pages per character).
broker listings are free (no tax).

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
KTERA has a few more instance changes coming after the Reaper update. They cannot use the same gear everyone else uses. They have their own specific set. HOWEVER, Balder's Temple (both 5 man and solo) will have a new set of gear that has stats EQUAL to +9 Steadfast. This applies to all classes. Otherwise outside of a few instances (and a particular area), Reaper gear will not drop. Wonderholme will have reaper exclusive gear, and places like Channelworks will drop "styled gear (replaces the remodeler)".

As for the Reaper class itself, they will start out at level 50 (you need at least a level 40 character on the server you are playing on), and have their own area to level from 50-58. Exp gains will be dramatically increased there. Gear will drop there, and some cosmetic items will drop as well.

Otherwise there is no news on if the reaper class will be released for the other races, but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't happen. Nor do I honestly care, because from what I've read, the class is really mediocre. Sorc has shorter downtime when chaining skills. If you manage to complete a full chain, have fun not having any skills for 6 seconds. They also have one or two small invincibility frames, but that's it. People have said its incredibly hard to get behind BAMs, and avoid damage. Burst potential is low as well.

Given, this will change over time.

If you don't want to read that wall of text above: The reaper class sucks right now.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 19, 2014

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
To be quite honest since I am a sucker for that type of character class I will probably make myself one despite it's terribleness.

I'm happy to hear they start out at level 50 however, I'm already levelling a berserker and a sorc, I would be burnt to level another class in such a short time.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

WanderingKid posted:

Warrior damage is massive but requires you to:

1) build edge on your targets quickly so you can get in more Scythes. To build edge quickly, you can't get hit often or worse, get CCed/knocked down since edge stacks may fall off before you can recover.

2) use Blade Draw as much as possible. There are lots of skills that chain into Blade Draw so if one is on cooldown, your combo changes and you use different openers and setups.
Ok, this I've been getting better at. Because I'm still learning fights and tells and such, I've simplified it down to 2 basic attack chains + conditional stuff:

a) (opener, if debuffs aren't up) combative strike -> traverse cut (wait for 13 stacks) -> blade draw

b) pounce -> rain of blows -> rising fury -> blade draw

i. when I dodge with roll or DFA, I can follow up with vortex slash -> blade draw

ii. when I take damage, staggering counter -> cascade

I have rising fury on a separate key since it has a much shorter cooldown than the others, but I don't use it as much since it's kind of slow for the damage it does. As mentioned, it's better as a repositioning tool.

One thing I haven't figured out how to use effectively is Smoke Aggressor. It's hard to practice using on my own since it sacrifices a lot of health. Is there a particular point in the fight that it's best to use it? When a boss enrages? When they're stunned?

Gear and crystals etc. I've more or less figured out. I'm using power zyrks, +critdmg rings of pain, and running Wonderholme Hard every day for whimsories. Correct me if any of these are a bad idea.

WanderingKid posted:

Warrior also has alot of powerlinked glyphs so warrior combos are very fluid rather than rote learned.
Those extra few glyph points are starting to sound tasty. I haven't found much up to date info on the various ways of getting Master Glyphs. Are the ones from ToT badge vendors and Talent vendors all the ones that are available? Is it faster to just do PvP and buy glyph boxes? Buy them off the trade broker? Can the glyph boxes give you repeat ones? If so, what do you do with them?

etc.

WanderingKid posted:

If you want to practice, try Reaping Slash at 2 edge stacks i.e.

Combative Strike -> Rain of Blows -> Reaping Slash

This speeds up the animation of Rain of Blows and Reaping Slash and you keep the 2 edge. The Scythe debuff will be applied for 15 seconds. If you Reaping Slash with 3 or more edge, the stacks will fall off.

You can practice building edge by trying to get from 2 to 10 stacks and using Scythe (level 60 skill) before the debuff wears off.
This, on the other hand, is pretty darn tough. Do you use the 'extra edge' glyphs to make it easier?

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 22, 2014

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
You take less damage when using Rising Fury so you can face tank a little when re-positioning.

Rising Fury has 2x parts to it: a quick slash that moves you forward alot and then a slow slash that does most of the damage but doesn't move you forward much + has long frame recovery.

Only do the quick slash if you want forward movement. Its very noticeable if you are in combat or if you have a slow debuff on you because using Rising Fury to travel short distances is much faster than running. Follow up with the slow slash if you want want lateral movement and a Blade Draw setup, or if you want the +1 edge.

Charging Slash -> Blade Draw is also fast and stacks 2 edge (3 if you have Blade Draw glyphed)

Death From Above -> Vortex Slash -> Blade Draw is another quick way to get Blade Draw damage and 3 edge

I don't want to say you need +1 edge glyphs to stack 8 edge in 15 seconds but it does make it easier.

Smoke Aggressor is situational. It can take a debuff so you may use it on the first boss of MCHM to eat the DoT so another player doesn't have to.

As long as you don't attack, it can also take and hold aggro (whilst you rez up a dead party member).

It can knockdown and so can be used on Wonderholme when Bandersnatch does the KD shield.

quote:

I haven't found much up to date info on the various ways of getting Master Glyphs. Are the ones from ToT badge vendors and Talent vendors all the ones that are available? Is it faster to just do PvP and buy glyph boxes? Buy them off the trade broker? Can the glyph boxes give you repeat ones? If so, what do you do with them?

You can get master glyphs from Sirjuka Gallery and Temple of Temerity.

Completing Sirjuka gives silver and gold talents. 15x silver talents buys you an RNG box that can drop 1 of 5 SjG master glyphs and yes, duplicates are possible.

45x gold talents buys you an SjG glyph of your choice if RNG is not kind to you.

Temple of Temerity awards practicum badges and dire badges. 10x practicum badges buys you an RNG box that can drop ToT glyphs. 30x dire badges buys you a ToT glyph of your choosing.

Bellicarium RNG boxes can give both SjG and ToT glyphs.

If you get duplicate glyphs the only thing you can do is sell them to a merchant for a paltry amount of gold.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
The last hit of Rising Fury also has a pretty high KD rate on it. Not enough to regularly topple stuff that isn't specifically vulnerable to KDs, but it is useful in the right situations(it can really come in handy if you're on, say, the last part of the second platform in SG and the rest of your party forgets about the mobs you need to keep down while hammering the BAM; if need arises you can keep them both down by yourself without much issue).

If memory serves, it also comes out faster after a Combative Strike(along with a bunch of other moves), but it's been over half a year since I've played so I have no idea if that's still accurate or not.

May very well be fuzzy memory speaking here, but I think I recall SG boxes coughing up ToT glyphs on occasion. Not all that often, but don't be surprised if it happens. Regardless, you'll probably want as many of those glyphs as possible, they really do help. Well, most of them; nothing's going to save Poison Blade.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah, its been a while since I got SiJ glpyhs with silver talents. I mainly get them from Bellicarium boxes and gold talents. I wouldn't be surprised if the silver talent boxes gave you ToT glyphs. The RNG ToT boxes can give you random shite like refined alkahest and practicum badges.

Poison Blade is never worth glyphing because the damage is rear end. +15% of rear end and double stacks of rear end is still rear end. Its a free +1 edge though and beyond that has some niche uses.

If you can hurt but not finish someone in Corsair's Stronghold and they do a runner, its nice to have a poison stack on them before they jump off the wall. It will kill them when they hit the ground.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2014

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I read the OP but didn't see anything about the pay structure. I know it's F2P now but what in the game has to be paid for? Are there Premium/Subscriber memberships?

I'm considering which MMO to start playing after TOR and CoX.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Kaptain K posted:

I read the OP but didn't see anything about the pay structure. I know it's F2P now but what in the game has to be paid for? Are there Premium/Subscriber memberships?

I'm considering which MMO to start playing after TOR and CoX.

I've not played this game for a good while now but I think this still applies. Also note that the accounts that were actually bought are considered something like 'veteran' and have some benefits as well.

https://store.enmasse.com/tera/elite-status

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 22, 2014

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

WanderingKid posted:

You can get master glyphs from Sirjuka Gallery and Temple of Temerity.

Completing Sirjuka gives silver and gold talents. 15x silver talents buys you an RNG box that can drop 1 of 5 SjG master glyphs and yes, duplicates are possible.

45x gold talents buys you an SjG glyph of your choice if RNG is not kind to you.

Temple of Temerity awards practicum badges and dire badges. 10x practicum badges buys you an RNG box that can drop ToT glyphs. 30x dire badges buys you a ToT glyph of your choosing.

Bellicarium RNG boxes can give both SjG and ToT glyphs.

If you get duplicate glyphs the only thing you can do is sell them to a merchant for a paltry amount of gold.

I always found, if you're starting fresh, to do the trials and hoard the Dire/Golds while burning through the random rolls until you start getting more dupes than new glyphs. By then you should only have a couple glyphs you really need left to buy. Then just sell the leftover tokens on the AH :10bux:

Goes faster if you bring buds along who already have the glyphs and can just unload their tokens on you.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I used to just RNG it with practicum badges and silver talents until I got 80% of the glyphs I wanted. Then I just bought the last few ones with dire badges and gold talents. Now I just spam BG boxes instead and buy the last glyphs with golds/dires.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Leveling: funfunfunfun
Entering PVP arena at level 30: WOW THIS IS AWFUL

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I've come back to the game after bailing on it in early 2013, does anyone have any handy tips for someone that's likely going to just level solo? Things to do, places to avoid, anything?

I literally have no idea about the game at all and absent-mindedly leveled to 35 before returning so I honestly don't even know what's considered good or even essential, and don't want to end up stonewalled and confused.

I'm a Sorcerer, if that helps!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
New event starting in TERA on Tuesday.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/festival-time-in-tera-starting-january-28

I am looking forward to Salty Bets: BAM Edition.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
I have a question: How active is Corsairs nowadays? I played a couple months back but had to drop it due to being overloaded with work/life during the holidays. Only thing I really did was play CS with WanderingKid and my friends so if it's completely dead no point coming back.

Also did the Kuma BG failed hard as it did in Korea?

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Wassbix posted:

I have a question: How active is Corsairs nowadays? I played a couple months back but had to drop it due to being overloaded with work/life during the holidays. Only thing I really did was play CS with WanderingKid and my friends so if it's completely dead no point coming back.

I haven't experienced it myself, but this has to be the weirdest thing I've seen in an MMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWyNaI58Sk&t=47s

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Wassbix posted:

Its alive and well. Got some new tricks to show you too (i.e. hitting the crystal from a tank at mid pyre).

Alot of people do alliance pvp now which you'll like and you are certainly geared enough to hold your own there now.

DGKK is dead though so you should join No Fun Allowed (put DGKK/SA in your application).

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Trip report on the festival so far: Good luck trying to play any of the mini games, as they are limited to one person at a time. The odds of you getting in are slim to none. May as well wait a month or two until you are able to get in without having to fight for the spot. It's not instanced either, so its first come, first serve.

I have no clue what BHS was thinking when they designed this event. :psyduck:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
:shobon: "I guess we'll set up TELEPORTALS and instances for these events...?"
:engleft: "Nah, nobody plays this game anymore so who loving cares. We'll just PS Home it, it'll be fine."
:razz: "Good point, back to making Elin animations and bizarre baby-themed content!"

I'm not sure I understand the direction they're going with development; maybe they're trying to pander to adult babies?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Can you win anything cool? I played the halloween game till I got a horse

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

i am harry posted:

Can you win anything cool? I played the halloween game till I got a horse

I guess if you got all the achievements from the event last summer, you can get a permanent mount during this event. Otherwise its just a 21 day mount. Otherwise the only thing worthy of note is the BAMARAMA, which is basically salty bets. You bet gold tickets on the outcome of BAM vs BAM fights. You can then sell the tickets back to the merchant for 90 silver each.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I just see these events as extra xp for my low level characters, plus some consumables to help with leveling. Also, if you ever wanted to level your gathering skill for some reason, this is a good opportunity (you get an amulet that speeds up gathering)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KinkyJohn posted:

I just see these events as extra xp for my low level characters, plus some consumables to help with leveling. Also, if you ever wanted to level your gathering skill for some reason, this is a good opportunity (you get an amulet that speeds up gathering)

It's been awhile since I've played a non-capped character but doesn't gathering give some EXP? Like as much as killing a monster or two for a tiny time investment or whatever.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
It gives exp that scales with your level but its so trivial you can't level solely by gathering in any reasonable length of time.

At level 54 you'll get 210,000 exp for killing a Tirkai Grizzly (Bear) whereas you would get maybe 2,600 exp for gathering a plant?

You nevertheless want to max plant/ore/essence gathering because it unlocks an extra row of inventory space.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I always found that the gathering buffs you get while gathering made it worth it to go after any node you see. They were the difference between normal play and burning everything down with 0 downtime.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Its definitely worth stacking the gathering buffs 3 times. They last 10 minutes and give you nice mana/health regen etc.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Re-installed it and planning to hop back in with a friend. He's completely new so we're making new characters can someone explain the new relic thing? I sounds like quality of life thing for leveling but I have no idea where I can get information on it.

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

They're used to make avatar weapons. Basically, they're incredibly powerful weapons for leveling faster; on enemies around the level of the weapon, they get nearly 100% crit rate. To enchant them, you use 'godly' alkahest and refined 'godly' alkahest, which drops from low level mobs and is extremely cheap on the broker. I've never actually made one myself, but from what I understand you get however many shards you need and craft the weapon, though i don't know the exact process. If I understand it correctly, there is a certain weapon you can make for each level range, and as the level increases so does the number of shards you need. It speeds leveling up tremendously from what I hear.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
I just redownloaded this after like a year, is there any way to turn off the stupid "Founder Status" icon in the UI? I have a memory spanning more than 4 seconds so I don't need it cluttering up my UI.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

rainy day posted:

I just redownloaded this after like a year, is there any way to turn off the stupid "Founder Status" icon in the UI? I have a memory spanning more than 4 seconds so I don't need it cluttering up my UI.

Can't remember it exactly but I think its under achievements and you can change your title there.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Wassbix posted:

Re-installed it and planning to hop back in with a friend. He's completely new so we're making new characters can someone explain the new relic thing? I sounds like quality of life thing for leveling but I have no idea where I can get information on it.

Relic pieces will start dropping for you after level 20ish and it'll be incredibly obvious because they have a giant pillar of light coming out of them. When you pick one it it'll be like "YOU JUST GOT x OF y PIECES!". Once you get all the pieces you can assemble the weapon and start enchanting it with the shards/alkahest you've also been collecting (you'll get a new one every 5 levels or so). The weapons are superpowered and the only thing you need to use until the cap*.

Don't farm for the pieces, they seem to only drop as you enter new questing zones. I just started playing this game with my roommate and we've just been following the main story quest and doing every quest we come across and we've gotten new weapons at the pace of "right before the next dungeon we need to do" almost every time.

Also hello thread. I'm a long-time WoW tank struggling to figure out how to transfer my skills to a game where you actually have to play to win :confused:

*I assume, I'm only level 46

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 8, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Wow, that's a great leveling enhancer and it figures I maxed like 3 characters the long way and quit before it ever existed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

Don't farm for the pieces, they seem to only drop as you enter new questing zones.

I think its more like a certain monster type only giving so many pieces. I'd have 2-4 drop off 1/2 kills then nothing until I moved down the line to the next mob.

• Locked thread