Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
RIP Shawn White or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I was browsing wiki on previous Olympic mascots and came across this...thing for the Atlanta games.

Apparently he didn't go over so well.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Curling Owns and don't forget this happened.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MA-Horus posted:

Curling Owns and don't forget this happened.

Love me some golden showers.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

teen witch posted:

I was browsing wiki on previous Olympic mascots and came across this...thing for the Atlanta games.

Holy poo poo I forgot that guy existed. Fucker gave me a couple nightmares when I was a kid. Wasn't there a sega games made where you play as him.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

teen witch posted:

Still not as nightmare inducing as London's Penis Monster From Outer Space

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Young Freud posted:

Whoa, wasn't there riots in 1988 Seoul Olympics? I recall they were still a military dictatorship at the time and part of the reason they transitioned to a democratic government was because of the public relations nightmare that was forming around the games.
South Korean politics were quite complex at the time, here's what I can crush into cliff notes.

The "riots" were the June Democracy Movement, which had been student protests since the 70's in an attempt to overthrow Chun Doo-hwan's military dictatorship which appointed himself president of the country without the people's vote and generally causing strife as dictators can only do.

The 1981 constitution finally limited a president into having seven years of power so Chun stepped down in 1987, appointing his long time friend and former General Roh Tae-woo.

Fearing more military rule, mass protests kicked up a gear and Roh Tae-woo realized that all of the pro-democracy rallies with the Olympics nearing weren't looking good for the country and it's goal to revitalize itself on the world stage, much like Japan did in '64, so decided to hold the countries first democratic election.
Roh won through a power play of bribery and merging his Democratic Justice Party party with Kim Young-San's Peaceful Democracy Party and narrowly won from splitting the vote.

When Kim Young-San succeeded him in 1993 he opened up a massive corruption investigation that saw Chun and Roh charged with a host of corruption and mutiny charges from their military rule.

Before that the Tlatelolco massacre that occurred ten days before the Mexico City Olympics could also be listed as one of the more politically charged games.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 8, 2014

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dundun posted:

Whats going on in the video? I tried watching it but only made it 10 seconds into "chick tries way too hard to look like she's funny".

You have to watch and bare it, like Ice Skating.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot that guy existed. Fucker gave me a couple nightmares when I was a kid. Wasn't there a sega games made where you play as him.

Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings

Where's Izzy when he's needed? OOOO* :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

^ I just know it helped legitimize South Korea.

I had to look it up to remember it, the democracy demonstrations happened a year earlier, but were largely spurned on by the upcoming Olympics. They had gotten so heavy and numerous that the IOC had considered suspending the Olympics, but the Chun Doo-hwan government didn't want to use violence against the demonstrators (which would have probably got them pulled if they did), so they compromised with elections in December, thinking that they'd have a lock on them.

e:fb by WebDog. It was less rhetorical, because I had forgotten a lot of that game. Never heard of the massacre before the Mexico City games.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 8, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Young Freud posted:

I had to look it up to remember it, the democracy demonstrations happened a year earlier, but were largely spurned on by the upcoming Olympics. They had gotten so heavy and numerous that the IOC had considered suspending the Olympics, but the Chun Doo-hwan government didn't want to use violence against the demonstrators (which would have probably got them pulled if they did), so they compromised with elections in December, thinking that they'd have a lock on them.

Chun's government had a bad reputation for violence against it's own people. See the "Gwangju Massacre" in 1980. I used to live in that area, people haven't forgotten.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MA-Horus posted:

Chun's government had a bad reputation for violence against it's own people. See the "Gwangju Massacre" in 1980. I used to live in that area, people haven't forgotten.

Haha, you lived in a place that isn't Seoul, what a loser.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing about the Gwangju massacre a few years ago. It's rarely talked about in the U.S. despite something having almost the same amount of people killed as 9/11 (depending on who you talk to, the government still claims a casualty figures in the hundreds).

But I remember seeing footage around that time and the June Democracy protests look very much like what we're seeing in the Ukraine right now.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Awww, I kinda liked the dick monsters.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009

Arian_Samurai posted:

There isn't any snow in Sochi this year. This isn't unusual though, it rarely snows in Sochi.

They should have the winter Olympics in places where it snows.

That's where all the money went, on snow. ;)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Davelord Cheeto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

^^^^^ The rest of so-called "industrialized" so-called "advanced" so-called "capitalist" so-called "economiies" so-called "and/or" so-called "societies".

I frequently browse a forum where on any given day clicking a link might reward you with a gaping anus, skin sloughing off a krokodil addict, or some idiot blowing his finger off trying to light a game console on fire, and none of that is as cringeworthy as this video.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I frequently browse a forum where on any given day clicking a link might reward you with a gaping anus, skin sloughing off a krokodil addict, or some idiot blowing his finger off trying to light a game console on fire, and none of that is as cringeworthy as this video.

EPEC FOR TEH WEEEEN.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
shaddap or it's a polonium shower for you :argh:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Speaking of mascots, Australia produced the unofficial Fatso the fat-arsed wombat.

"the battlers' prince"

The statue was to commemorate the volunteers who worked at the event. Someone pinched it a few years ago.

Fatso was created by the team behind The Dream a late night satire on the Olympics that gleefully shredded events with adding music and absurd commentary.
He was a piss-take on the official Sydney mascots and ended up becoming more popular than them.

It caused a small PR disaster when the Australian Olympic Committee attempted to ban a Fatso stuffed toy from appearing in the arms of medal winning athletes (subsequently appearing on a commemorative stamp) as they'd spent $15 million buying the rights of the boxing kangaroo and promoting the death out of the official mascots that were dubbed "Olly, Millie, and Dickhead" by the show.

You can see they were pretty bloody unremarkable.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

shaddap or it's a polonium shower for you :argh:

You get a polonium shower every time you go to the bathroom in Sochi. At least you'll know what you're getting when they force it on you

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Polonium good for you have some nature's own dog repellant Russian invention da

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Arian_Samurai posted:

There isn't any snow in Sochi this year. This isn't unusual though, it rarely snows in Sochi.

They should have the winter Olympics in places where it snows.

But then rich Russians would have to be in the cold the entire time. And they need to be near shopping.
Besides, you don't need snow when Putin can just make it rain.

Spacedad posted:

No, but this particular door happens to be made of extremely cheap materials in an ongoing pattern of cheap and lovely materials with everything else.

And there was the original problem with the door mysteriously locking/jamming all by itself.
Not to mention that door probably cost $5000 - $10000 U.S., and was billed to three different people at various times. In a classic display of post-soviet Russian style capitalism all three owners of the door will now come after him for reimbursement making it a $30.000 door. At no time will the door be replaced. It will be flipped upside down and resold as a door with easy access for dogs, and it will cost $12,000.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

What's more, the door probably gave that guy the fail aids. What the gently caress is going on in Russia nowadays...?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

conceitedguy posted:

the fail aids.

get the gently caress out

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

conceitedguy posted:

What's more, the door probably gave that guy the fail aids. What the gently caress is going on in Russia nowadays...?

I think the bigger question is what the hell is going on with you because you can take your "fail aids" and choke on them

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Fauxtool posted:

Most interior doors are made of particle board and spit. Generally its the doors that lead to the outside being made of real wood.

Its not really an example of "russian construction"

I'm not sure what kind of poo poo hole you are living in to think a door made out of honeycombed cardboard is normal, but I assure you it is not normal. Especially when it comes with a price tag of 51 billion dollars.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 8, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

:frogout:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Who has a link where I can watch the bloody Slopestyle finals?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Purno posted:

Same thing happened with the woman slopestyler who faceplanted thursday, it took well over a minute for someone to check up on her when she was limping of the track in obvious pain. If you're going to make overly dangerous venues at least put more than one doctor along the track.

This makes me wonder just how crazy the ski and snowboard cross course are going to be.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BexGu posted:

This makes me wonder just how crazy the ski and snowboard cross course are going to be.

I anticipate tons of broken clavicles and hairline fractures of wrists.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Agrajag posted:

I may actually watch the Olympics this year

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the same thing happen to me in a UK apartment block (a relatively nice one) and to this day I thank the crappy cardboard honeycomb door as I had to do the same thing. If it was the same wooden construction as our outer door, I'd have been screwed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrajag posted:

It's the only way the labourers will understand that everything needs to work properly for the closing ceremony.

:commissar:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wait, did NBC not show the mascots during the opening ceremony? I was talking to one of my friends about it this morning and she didn't believe that there were these nightmareish mascots skating across the arena at one point.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I mean they fixed the deathslope but other things must still be messed up.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Agrajag posted:

I'm not sure what kind of poo poo hole you are living in to think a door made out of honeycombed cardboard is normal, but I assure you it is not normal. Especially when it comes with a price tag of 51 billion dollars.

They're commonplace here in the U.S. I managed a rental complex here in the Midwest while it was being finished and every one of the newly-constructed $350,000 homes had them for interior doors. They're lightweight, durable, and cheap as hell. Plus, if you're going green for the tax incentives, lots of construction supply places sell doors made of recycled pressboard that are just as nice. Hell, with a coat of paint on them you can't even tell they're mostly cardboard.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I don't want people to get like seriously hurt but I also want to see some pretty sick jumps

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I just want this to happen at some point:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They're commonplace here in the U.S. I managed a rental complex here in the Midwest while it was being finished and every one of the newly-constructed $350,000 homes had them for interior doors. They're lightweight, durable, and cheap as hell. Plus, if you're going green for the tax incentives, lots of construction supply places sell doors made of recycled pressboard that are just as nice. Hell, with a coat of paint on them you can't even tell they're mostly cardboard.

Hollow-core doors and doors literally made out of cardboard are not the same.

The way the facing tears off like paper lends credence to these doors being especially cheap.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 8, 2014

• Locked thread