Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man, the talking heads in Zachary Nixon Johnson drone on about more far-out futuristic space stuff than any other talking heads ever! Maybe next time they'll talk about a space battle, or time travel! :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Here, have a partial catchup post...

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

This must be the part where the Judge charges people to watch the webcam he 'accidentally' left on.

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so that's why Brooke has never managed to successfully tell one.

Pibgorn

Most of the audience already guessed that this production would be a sinking ship weeks ago.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I think I figured out what doesn't sit right with me about this. The art is amazingly static. Even with the motion lines it doesn't look like Colin Mochrie's head actually moved. That's also part of what bugged me about the "I'm the hottest zombie ever!" page. It's just amazingly static art.

e:

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so that's why Brooke has never managed to successfully tell one.

Sick burn on the Nazis, there, Brooke.

Seriously, was his goal with this storyline to make people sympathize with the Nazis by having his non-Nazi character be so insufferable?

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 8, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sporange. :colbert:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Going out of town until Monday and will do a Scary Gary catchup then.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

In addition to being a word that nobody uses, it's pronounced spor-ange and not sp-orange. It's only a rhyme is the most technical of senses, in the same way that hinge or syringe are.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Wanamingo posted:

In addition to being a word that nobody uses, it's pronounced spor-ange and not sp-orange. It's only a rhyme is the most technical of senses, in the same way that hinge or syringe are.

In addition, that page doesn't actually have "sporange", it's a redirection from "sporangium", a word I actually used with some frequency when I took seed plant taxonomy, but never since. I doubt "sporange" is even a word. A better rhyme IMO is door-hinge.

In historical newspaper comics news, been too drat busy making a course readings app to fart around in the archives.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Free meal! The divorce con worked again!

Rex Morgan MD

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

"Aunt" has got to be the wrong word here. That guy can't possibly be chief Dharma's grandchild.

This is really late, but what I think the translation is going for is that the young woman is technically the male relative's aunt, making her the "older" person, and as such, the one that the "younger" relative would ask money from.

It would be really kind of odd but for example if your mother had a kid (Billy) at an early age, Billy has a child (Timmy) at a young age, and then you mother gave birth to you some time after that. Then technically, you are Timmy's aunt/uncle (Timmy, being your brother's kid, is your nephew), even though Timmy is older than you.

It's a strange set of circumstances, and given the apparent age difference of the characters pretty crazy, but certainly possible.

I'm having a hard enough time explaining it in English, I can't imagine starting in Korean and moving on from there.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Lio has finally been weirded out by something in his comic strip: a talking rear end.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

No there's already a show like that called Tosh.0 and both are terrible.

Retail

You can always hope that nondescript red box has some horrible death-chemical in it and will be recalled a month later after the guy has used the contents of the whole box on himself.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

This is way more exciting than any lame sledding!

Dustin

I'm pretty sure she asked for something different last year and the year before.

On the Fastrack

Turns out the Computer Bug was a poseur all along but I think we're all just glad the courtroom theatrics didn't last three months.

Safe Havens

To hell with rules, it's space! We can do whatever we want!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Turns out the Computer Bug was a poseur all along but I think we're all just glad the courtroom theatrics didn't last three months.
And yet if I punched Holbrook in the face for every terrible comic he did to inspire him to make better ones they'd put me in jail.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

You can always hope that nondescript red box has some horrible death-chemical in it and will be recalled a month later after the guy has used the contents of the whole box on himself.

This is definitely a re-run, but yeah, everyone who actually does this to a cashier deserves a punch in the throat.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

It is raining outside today. Notice that Slylock is carrying a dripping umbrella. Lady Lynx's hat is wet to the touch.

Slylock Fox

Because no one watches the sun rise in the middle of the day and there's not even any real crime here. Back to picking up trash.

Moose and Molly

Why did the nurse run away? Why is Moose in the hospital? Why is the gurney so short? So many questions.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Whatever.

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 2/8/2003

Don't you need a car for that?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:ughh: That's just stupid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gene's way ahead of you.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac is a scatter-plot of bad behaviors.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts, in which the Masked Marvel's path to victory hits a snag. (February 11, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

"So, you just pressed 'send'. Are you Joe Eszterhas now?"
"Not yet, dear."
"How about now?"
"Shut up or I'll get the depression cat back in here."
"Is there a depression cat in Showgirls 2, Mister Eszterhas?"
"I'm going to shovel the sidewalk with ghost wife until you get over this crap..."

Popeye

They're building a scaffold with a booster seat in the courtyard.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (February 11, 1967)

Out Our Way (May 28-29, 1924)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/8/2003

Don't you need a car for that?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Clitch posted:

This is definitely a re-run, but yeah, everyone who actually does this to a cashier deserves a punch in the throat.
This is basically the Worst Thing, and the runner-up is the earnest, cheery way it's always said. Because each and every time you hear this, it's from someone who imagines they're being sincerely original and funny. And there's always a microscopic hint of honesty behind the joking, because the tiny barely-there hope is that one day when you say this the cashier'll agree with you and you will get a free Stuff because you were just that good-natured and humorous. You rear end in a top hat.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I have said this all along, ET is the worst kind of vicarious entertainment for motherfuckers with no balls but a big hard on for social and political propriety. gently caress condo and and gently caress his power fantasies

This is an amusing statement. You are an amusing person.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I wonder if Gilchrist is single. Probably.

This seems like a really bad attitude to expose kids to, just one man's opinion.

Gilchrist is definitely not single though--he posts about his fiancée, or wife, I don't know which, on Facebook all the time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Now I have The Last Unicorn stuck in my head, but with all the lyrics replaced with the word 'unicorn.' I tried to get it out by busting out the axe (ukulele) and playing through a cover of Walking in Memphis I've been working on, and now the same thing is happening with that. I have to stop before I forget the lyrics to everything. Just Digging Yourself Deeper Comix.

Pooch Café

Aw, they're so proud of themselves. Nobody tell them he's already dead.

Ballard Street

Golf comics? Really? You're better than that, Jerry. Of course, Ballard Street is probably the one strip in the papers where every character could realistically be depicted as an avid golfer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Bleurgh.

This is standard policy for all small-town news-papers.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Dark Side Of The Horse is usually more surreal than this. At least, it used to be; I went back over the past week's strips, and there was nada that measured up to the old dream-jokes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Kingdom posted:

Gene's way ahead of you.

:argh:. Mine's in a higher resolution though so :colbert:.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I never knew a scifi detective story could be so boring until I read Zachary Nixon Johnson.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones' Drawn Out Dramas
Assortments of Sergio's margin drawings, enlarged so that you can actually see them! Comes from several Mad magazines, 1989-1991 era.

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #104, July 1966)

Thorn / 50% More Absorbent Comix Crossover Extravaganza (February 27-28, 1984)
Okay, this is a start of a crossover. In The Lantern, right under Thorn was another strip called "50% More Absorbent Comix" by Steve Spencer, who himself is a professional cartoonist. One day, they decided to do a crossover. Basically, Jeff Smith would tell one half of the story in "Thorn", then Spencer would tell the second half in "Absorbent Comix" right under. You had to read both strips to understand what was going on.

It's...well, crossovers were never great, and this is no exception. This went on for TWO WEEKS when it was being printed, and Bone, Thorn, etc. never appeared during those times. And after it was over, it was Spring break at the college, so there was another one week gap before Jeff Smith finally got around continuing the story.

Lucky Cow (April 29-May 1, 2004)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominparty

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Dr. Dos posted:

How come Luann's the comic that gets mp3s of songs in the strip and not Sally Forth?

Ces: "We are working on it. Just want to make it right (or wrong in the best way possible)." But until then, Jim Keefe preemptively did what we were all thinking:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 8, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Guys, he's standing right there.

Quincy

Office Hours

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure this current Moomin story has been my favorite of them all. It's just been really fun the full way through.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Simian_Prime posted:

You mean Octon... called Cobra... called Luciphor? Mandrake's brother goes through aliases the way other people go through toilet paper!

Mandrake is the loving best.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

I'm going to try this one next saturday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ham Shears

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW posted:

Ces: "We are working on it. Just want to make it right (or wrong in the best way possible)." But until then, Jim Keefe preemptively did what we were all thinking:

gently caress that, I want to hear one of the werewolf songs.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

DON'T WORRY BOYS, IT'S A GOOD THING THAT WOMAN YOU LOVED WAS DEAD, SHE'S HAPPIER THIS WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

:effort:

• Locked thread