Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Updated the Cobra display:

Sideshow is just sending a replacement breastplate for Baroness so I don't need to do a full exchange which is awesome, although I need to smash the scuffed one with a hammer and send them pictures, I assume to avoid people scamming them out of expensive parts (breastplates sell for $50 on eBay).

She's an amazing figure, they really knocked the female body out of the park; no awful knee joints like with the Prometheus 2.0 body, good range of motion for realistic poses, stands reasonably well on its own. I'm even more excited for Harley now at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sanschel posted:

Sideshow is just sending a replacement breastplate for Baroness so I don't need to do a full exchange which is awesome, although I need to smash the scuffed one with a hammer and send them pictures, I assume to avoid people scamming them out of expensive parts (breastplates sell for $50 on eBay).

She's an amazing figure, they really knocked the female body out of the park; no awful knee joints like with the Prometheus 2.0 body, good range of motion for realistic poses, stands reasonably well on its own. I'm even more excited for Harley now at the end of the month.

Oh God, that's a thing of beauty. All it needs is a Destro...

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
You all remember Super7's ReAction, the line of Kenner style Alien figures? Well Super7 and Funko just announced some of the other licenses that are getting the same treatment:

quote:

Universal Monsters

Modern Horror

The Crow

Escape from New York

Terminator

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Goonies

Pulp Fiction

Predator

Firefly

Nightmare Before Christmas

The Rocketeer

Back to the Future

For a full list of what's getting made, check here.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
drat it... I'm gonna need to get that Predator and all of it's variants.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They do nothing for me.

Some of them feel like they are trying too hard for the retro thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's why the Alien ones worked. They were real figures from the 70's. If they weren't 20 bucks each, i'd pick up more.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I kind of wish they'd do more Alien ones (specifically Parker, Brett, and Lambert).

These new ones are alright, but not as cool as they could have been. I like that Rocketeer one, but that Snake Plissken is kind of "ehhhh". I'll likely be passing on the Predator, too.

The heads all seem a bit too big. It's weird because the actual Alien ones they released don't have that problem.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 8, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm interested in seeing the Nightmare Before Christmas ones in person, just because I'm a pretty big fanboy of that movie. I'm sure some of my friends who like Firefly will froth at the mouth to pick up the Firefly figures once they hear about them, too. I do agree that a lot of the cool appeal is lost since these aren't reproductions of actual retro figures, though.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That sucks because I'd like a solid Rocketeer figure that doesn't go for a million dollars on eBay and retro figures suuuuuuuuck. You can buy poo poo like that at the dollar store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Duke Igthorn posted:

That sucks because I'd like a solid Rocketeer figure that doesn't go for a million dollars on eBay and retro figures suuuuuuuuck. You can buy poo poo like that at the dollar store.

Diamond Select is allegedly working on getting the Rocketeer license.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Agrias120 posted:

I'm interested in seeing the Nightmare Before Christmas ones in person, just because I'm a pretty big fanboy of that movie. I'm sure some of my friends who like Firefly will froth at the mouth to pick up the Firefly figures once they hear about them, too. I do agree that a lot of the cool appeal is lost since these aren't reproductions of actual retro figures, though.
Entertainment Earth has some other pics, including the Nightmare before Christmas ones.

I won't lie, the masked Predator is pretty neat, and I like the chrome Terminator endoskeleton. Even the Sarah Connor one is pretty neat for what it is.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
You know, I didn't suffer through the bad ol' days of the early eighties limited-articulation action figures just so in the year of our lord 2014 we could re-live them. :argh:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You know, I didn't suffer through the bad ol' days of the early eighties limited-articulation action figures just so in the year of our lord 2014 we could re-live them. :argh:
When it comes to retro callbacks, I much prefer NECA's approach of remaking old-school figures using modern sensibilities.

Having said that, I do like the 'Alien' retro figures just for their novelty and the fact that they're reproductions of unreleased 1979 prototypes. I do agree that making an entire line based around the concept is kinda pushing it. If anything, I'd want them to limit the figures to be retro figures for licenses that existed at the time those figures would have been produced, but didn't get figures back then. Retro-style figures for, say, old-school Battlestar Galactica, The Terminator, Escape from New York, The Thing, etc, makes sense to me. Modern stuff like Firefly? Not so much. Even moving too much past, say, 1985 is pushing it for me.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Xenomrph posted:

When it comes to retro callbacks, I much prefer NECA's approach of remaking old-school figures using modern sensibilities.

Having said that, I do like the 'Alien' retro figures just for their novelty and the fact that they're reproductions of unreleased 1979 prototypes. I do agree that making an entire line based around the concept is kinda pushing it. If anything, I'd want them to limit the figures to be retro figures for licenses that existed at the time those figures would have been produced, but didn't get figures back then. Retro-style figures for, say, old-school Battlestar Galactica, The Terminator, Escape from New York, The Thing, etc, makes sense to me. Modern stuff like Firefly? Not so much. Even moving too much past, say, 1985 is pushing it for me.

Don't worry, there are 70s Battlestar Galactica figures from that era and they are glorious.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I like retro style figures so I jumped on the Alien line. When I got them I was happy with the figure itself but the card was awful. Very thin cardboard and all but one was majorly damaged when I received them. This is right out of the original "1 set box" shipped to dealers. The retro style artwork on the package is one of the major selling points and was really disappointed with how cheap they felt.

That said, I'm curious to see if they are doing the original Buffy movie or the TV show.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

therealjon_ posted:

They do nothing for me.

Some of them feel like they are trying too hard for the retro thing.

This is mostly how I feel, but I can't say no to a Doc Brown figure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I like retro style figures so I jumped on the Alien line. When I got them I was happy with the figure itself but the card was awful. Very thin cardboard and all but one was majorly damaged when I received them. This is right out of the original "1 set box" shipped to dealers. The retro style artwork on the package is one of the major selling points and was really disappointed with how cheap they felt.

That said, I'm curious to see if they are doing the original Buffy movie or the TV show.

Definitely the TV show. A website someone linked to (Entertainment Earth) had listed Buffy, Angel, Spike, Willow, Oz, and The Master.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
I could see myself getting the Nightmare Before Christmas ones.

and maybe Pinhead and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

The thing about these toys is they are some of the few toys that actually lose display value if you open them. their card is part of the aesthetic value. Which is nice in this case cause they wouldn't take up any shelf space.

I realize they're kind of a ...half-assed attempt to drum up nostalgia but I dunno, I kinda like it

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Entertainment Earth has some other pics, including the Nightmare before Christmas ones.

I won't lie, the masked Predator is pretty neat, and I like the chrome Terminator endoskeleton. Even the Sarah Connor one is pretty neat for what it is.

The coolness of that Predators mask is totally ruined by his sandals.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

The Rage posted:

Isn't that part of the charm of those old toys? That they're lovely and almost look nothing like what they are portraying?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They all look like poo poo and I know thats the point but as mentioned, the Alien ones were cool because they were unreleased and were cool molds. These are just a bunch of poo poo capitalizing on nostalgic nerds (rocketeer, firefly, escape from New York, etc). Let me guess, Dr.Who is next and eventually they will do Buffy and other crap.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Actually Buffy is part of the initial announcement!

But yeah this is basically them going "hey, this Alien thing worked out ... lets flood the market with RETRO figures from NERD PROPERTIES!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Rage posted:

The Predator in the movie had sandals. :eng101:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

I pretty sure Funko is treating these like their Pop! line: one style, loads of franchises.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Don't worry, there are 70s Battlestar Galactica figures from that era and they are glorious.

I had a Centurion, their weirdo pink bighead boss dude, and the dog. I chewed the poo poo out of that dog for some reason, loved that little guy.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Vintersorg posted:

They all look like poo poo and I know thats the point but as mentioned, the Alien ones were cool because they were unreleased and were cool molds. These are just a bunch of poo poo capitalizing on nostalgic nerds (rocketeer, firefly, escape from New York, etc). Let me guess, Dr.Who is next and eventually they will do Buffy and other crap.

That's exactly it. And I'm sure the sales of this first wave of releases will determine if this is going to be like their next POP Vinyl line. If they sell well, you'll see everything from the Big Bang Theory to Disney Princesses.

While I'm not entirely sure I like this "Fake nostalgia" and it is fake because they aren't re-releases of actual old toys (except for the Alien ones), I have to admit it's a novelty. And I am planning to get Jack Skellington and the Mayor from the Nightmare before christmas. I have a lovely art frame from the film, and those figures would look great hanging up on either side of it, in their packages . Then again, apparently the cards are really thin so they might not hang well. So I'm on the fence as of right now

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cryptobotanist posted:

Isn't that part of the charm of those old toys? That they're lovely and almost look nothing like what they are portraying?

At $20 each charm is not the first word that comes to mind.

Xenomrph posted:

The Predator in the movie had sandals. :eng101:

Not the movie sandals, the ones on that action figure. Look at those leather hippie sandals and weep for the Predator.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

To be fair, these new figures are $10 each rather that $20, so they're slightly more affordable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gann Jerrod posted:

To be fair, these new figures are $10 each rather that $20, so they're slightly more affordable.

True "retro" would be $3. :colbert:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Valid point

Red posted:

True "retro" would be $3. :colbert:

More valid point

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Don't have to go back nearly that far

Some characters were released for the first time (and, most likely, the last) ever in toy form and we got these McDonald's toy bullshit

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And for several years (2004-2008-ish), you could pay $5 each for them, or better yet, $10 for a 3-pack or $20 for a 6-pack. They weren't the greatest action figures in the world, but they captured that Bruce Timm "animated" style very well and gave us a huge range of characters that look great displayed en masse:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

For a full list of what's getting made, check here.

That might be the happiest predator I have ever seen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

Looks awesome!

Weirdly enough I had the different experience with sideshow. I got my evil superman in but it had a broken fist/peg. I emailed em about it, and about 4 days later I got an email asking me for pictures of it?

It's a broken fist/peg. Not really a high end item. I'd have just imagined they'd send me a replacement fist.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And for several years (2004-2008-ish), you could pay $5 each for them, or better yet, $10 for a 3-pack or $20 for a 6-pack. They weren't the greatest action figures in the world, but they captured that Bruce Timm "animated" style very well and gave us a huge range of characters that look great displayed en masse:

As long as ya didn't let them try to stand on their own.

I feel ya, I get the point that it wasn't too long ago before you could still buy 5 POA figures on the shelves, but it seems like it's a been a long fight for a while for well articulated figures vs the standard 5 points.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looks awesome!

Weirdly enough I had the different experience with sideshow. I got my evil superman in but it had a broken fist/peg. I emailed em about it, and about 4 days later I got an email asking me for pictures of it?

It's a broken fist/peg. Not really a high end item. I'd have just imagined they'd send me a replacement fist.

I actually just took some pics and sent them when I filled out the online product exchange form, but then I didn't hear from them for nearly a week so I used the online chat to bug them and they sent me an e-mail with the replacement info like 20 minutes later.

I wonder if the difference is because Superman was Hot Toys and Baroness is Sideshow? I know they're the primary North American distributor for HT but I don't know if they'd have spare parts on hand.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hooooooooly poo poo, I need that Pyramid Head.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sanschel posted:

I actually just took some pics and sent them when I filled out the online product exchange form, but then I didn't hear from them for nearly a week so I used the online chat to bug them and they sent me an e-mail with the replacement info like 20 minutes later.

I wonder if the difference is because Superman was Hot Toys and Baroness is Sideshow? I know they're the primary North American distributor for HT but I don't know if they'd have spare parts on hand.

They do, yeah, but its the same requirements. If you end up with a broken anything, they want pictures and then they send you the replacement if you send pictures of it destroyed. I've even heard the penalty is half the cost of the item if you don't destroy it. So it discourages trying to scam extra parts.