Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This post is brought to you by Girl Gamz.

The z is how you know these gams are coooollllllzzzz

----------------------------------------------------

Cooking. As the game Fried Little Onion Ring puts it, “all girls like spending time on the kitchen and cook something tasty and delicious.” I should know, there’s nothing my gal pals love more than mixing up something scrumptious in the kitchen. :yum:

Oh wait, no. They all hate cooking and I’m the only one who can be trusted in the kitchen to not poison everyone.
ANYWAY. “Games that purport to teach you how to cook” is one of the largest genres of Girl Games, right up there alongside dress-up games and makeover games. There are even entire sites dedicated solely to these types of games. There are hundreds upon hundreds of these games, and they all fail in the same, easily avoidable ways. I cannot stress enough how completely most of these games fail at their intended purpose, and I will be doing so many times over the course of this post.

The first and most obvious problem is the “learning to cook” angle. That is, you’re not going to learn poo poo. If you’re lucky, the game will provide you a copy of the recipe they stole from Food Network. If you’re not lucky the best you can hope for is “a bowl of flour” and “a spoonful of baking soda”,

(What the Christ is “Weizeu Mehl”?)

I also can’t help but doubt the creators of these games’ culinary knowledge.

Pasta: a notoriously unfilling food.

But enough talk. It’s time to…

Or else! :argh:

This one starts out as many of them do; by making us rummage through the pantry. At least I think it’s the pantry? Either they’re keeping their milk and cheese in the pantry or their bananas in the fridge, and I’m not sure which possibility I find more offensive. :colbert:

Whoops, I think we lost two eggs in the transition there.
Anywho, this part is just pouring stuff in the bowl in order. What? Nah, you don’t need measuring cups. Baking isn’t all about precise measurements and poo poo. Just pour it straight out of the bag. It’ll be fine.

Add in the eggs.

Don’t forget to leave one egg alive to spread the tale of your terrifying might.

Ooh, it even gives us a choice of cake pan. Obviously I pick the heart. This is the Girl Games Thread, after all. ;-*

Aah, the ubiquitous microwave oven. This strange contraption appears in every single one of these cooking games. It’s the most inexplicable thing about all these games. Have these people never heard of a conventional oven? Are tiny microwave-sized ovens an actual thing that exists? Who is making all of these thousands of games? Is this where they imagined themselves when they got into the video game business? Am I ever going to fulfill my dreams? Do my friends actually like me or are they only pretending because they pity me? If I ever had to kill someone, will I have the guts to do it? Is there any reason for living, or is life just an endless parade of Girl Games? Will I be able to finally go to the grocery store and get some juice, or is it going to snow forever until I die from juice deprivation?

Whoo, sorry about that. Unconventional kitchen appliances send me to dark places.
This game also gives us the ability to decorate the cake we made, as well as two other cakes that appeared out of the ether. The options are kind of anemic, but still more plentiful than a lot of people dress-up games I’ve played.

I tried making Hell Cake, but there was no severed head topper option, so I had to settle for the decorations that kind of look like little faces. Lame. :sigh:

Alright, coming up next on our list is GAH!

Oh god I can’t see the spirit of the American Dream is possessing me arglblrgrlg!

That’s… not much better. :911:

This little number is nothing but clicking on things that you’re told to click on and watching far-too-long animations. The only real challenge comes from grappling with the shoddy click detection and trying not to go blind from the patriotism. :patriot:

Cheese? Cheese!? CHEESE!? loving CHEESE?! Are you making GBS threads me game?
Alright. Okay. Calm down. It’s probably just cream cheese. Yeah, that’s what they meant…

That is not a cream cheese color. No that is loving queso dip right there. :barf:

You can cover it up with whipped cream and raspberries, baldy, but you can’t erase your sin.

Good job. You are now all complicit in what has transpired here.

Let’s continue this theme of “things that shouldn’t be on desserts” with…

Life Hack: Got old shoes that don’t fit anymore? Turn them into a unique cake topper that’s fun and appropriate for any occasion!

Oh, it’s just a cake dress-up game. Man, at least Enjoy Your Love Cake had some token baking beforehand.
Also, notice that little girl walking back-and-forth in the background? If you accidentally click on her (and you will because she walks in front of the things you’re trying to click on) it opens up a link to a website. This is the only dress-up game I’ve ever seen with moving obstacles.

NEXT.

Next up is one I’ll admit I’m looking forward to.

I love fruity pastries, and I’ve never had apple strudel before. A tragedy, I know. :(

First step, simple enough, we gotta’ cut up some apples. Can’t make apple strudel without cutting a few apples , my grandma always used to say. (My grandma never actually said that, to my knowledge.)
Just steady the apple on the cutting board and…

Chop!

Heh.
Wh-… What are you all looking at? What are you looking at me for? S- Stop it.

Stop! Quit it! Why are you looking at me like that! Why-
Wait. I-Is it the apple? Is that what-?

Oh. Wait. Oh god. Oh my god I’m so sorry.

I didn’t realize. I-I-I was just trying to make- I mean I was just following- I mean, please, you have to forgive me. I didn’t know what I was doing! It was just a mistake! That’s all it was! A terrible, awful mistake!

NO! PLEASE! STOP IT! GET AWAY FROM ME! GET OUT OF MY HEAD! IT HURTS! IT HURTS SO BAD! I’M SORRY! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!? WHAT DO YOU WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

(What the Christ is “Weizeu Mehl”?)
It`s a typo I assume, it should be Weizen Mehl, which is German for wheat flour, seeing the rest of the game I think it is safe to assume this high quality product was not developed by anyone with any kind of grasp of the English language.
The descriptions of many of these games are so awful that it physically hurts...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

dijon du jour posted:

Aah, the ubiquitous microwave oven. This strange contraption appears in every single one of these cooking games. It’s the most inexplicable thing about all these games. Have these people never heard of a conventional oven? Are tiny microwave-sized ovens an actual thing that exists? Who is making all of these thousands of games? Is this where they imagined themselves when they got into the video game business? Am I ever going to fulfill my dreams? Do my friends actually like me or are they only pretending because they pity me? If I ever had to kill someone, will I have the guts to do it? Is there any reason for living, or is life just an endless parade of Girl Games? Will I be able to finally go to the grocery store and get some juice, or is it going to snow forever until I die from juice deprivation?

The closest I can think of is these.

Of course, certain recipes explicitly advise against using toaster ovens, so YMMV.

RIP dijon du jour. First life lost to Girl Games.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
"Microwave oven" is what people over here would call a microwave if they were being formal, but it is just a name. And trying to bake a cake in a microwave would not go well at all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A microwave oven is pretty common in student flats in my experience, at least in the UK. It's just a microwave with a conventional heating element as an option.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Tenebrais posted:

A microwave oven is pretty common in student flats in my experience, at least in the UK. It's just a microwave with a conventional heating element as an option.

I forgot about those! Those are usually called combination microwaves though, aren't they? I can see why a translator would be confused.

I've never had one - do they operate the way the ones in the games do, with a timer and a digital temperature setting?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Kloro posted:

I forgot about those! Those are usually called combination microwaves though, aren't they? I can see why a translator would be confused.

I've never had one - do they operate the way the ones in the games do, with a timer and a digital temperature setting?

I've never heard about those either. It seems like a good idea, an extra heat element would be super useful in a small apartment without a proper oven. But what about the steam coming off of cooking? Wouldn't that just melt the top off of the device, or blow all the steam at your face? What is this thing, how do you use it?

Games > Let's Play! > BACHELOR COOKING ADVICE <3

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I never used one myself, I just know the dorms I used to live in had some. You set the temperature with the digital display; I assume the timer worked the same as any conventional oven timer. A friend of mine nearly roasted a duck in one once. I say nearly, it was still mostly pink. I've never seen one that's a good oven, but you could definitely bake biscuits or cupcakes in them.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!

Kloro posted:

They just work like a normal oven, not sure why a digital temp setting is seen as a farfetched idea regardless of the microwave. Doesn't just start cooking at full power instantly of course, needs to heat up, they should really be pre-heating for a lot of these things! Mine can microwave (obviously), has a convection oven option and has an extra rack thingy to grill stuff. I have only ever used the oven option once, it worked fine but is just too small for most things. Did not realise they were uncommon, just a tad expensive. I only got it because it was the only microwave they had with a digital timer in the staff shop where I worked (where everything was at least 75% off).

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Related to the Cooking Game outbreak, one thing I'm sick of seeing in media (and oh god is it prevalent in Japanese stuff) is the "Ha ha ha! Look, this girl can't cook! It's a character trait!"

Then you get two varients; the one where they know that they're a terrible cook and feel really ashamed about it (because if you're a woman and you can't cook, you are worthless) or the ~wacky~ one where they think they're good at it and force their toxic food on their friends.

I'm just so loving tired of that particular trope.

...that said, I do think that if you're an adult and you literally can't prepare an edible meal of any kind, you should feel ashamed. But that applies equally to both men and women.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So I couldn't take it anymore and just had to check out League of Angels to see how terrible it was. First impressions weren't great, with different account set-up screens depending on where you came from.

Girl.me advertisement:

Google.com search result advertisement:

(Yes, there really is that much of a difference between the music quality, that's not a recording screw-up on my end. The in-game music is much better than either example, though still only mediocre at best.)

Once you get into the game it actually looks pretty good, aside from a pretty serious chainmail bikini issue. Battles are initiated simply by touching enemies, and once they start you have absolutely no control over them. However, there is eventually* a decent amount of depth due to a good selection of recruitable heroes, mounts, Angels and chance-based Aegises. For a quick example, in the last image I linked I'm using the Angel Sylvia. Sylvia's Halo, a passive stat buff provided based on a character's position on the battlefield, gives the Rose Knight (tanky character in front) an HP boost, Saianna (my Warrior PC behind the Knight) a Physical Attack buff and the Mermaid (magic based support character at the bottom) a Magical Attack buff. Every piece of gear has at least one open and at least one locked socket, more as the quality goes up, for gems which allow for you to either compensate for a character's weaknesses or compliment their strengths. Aegises are unlocked a decent way in and provide a minor proc ability and significant, stackable boosts to your Angel's stats.

*I say eventually because they unlock game mechanics as you level up. It's paced fairly well so you don't get overwhelmed right off the bat with 20 different things to tweak, interact with or do. There was a time or two that I wanted to mess around with a new mechanic before it was unlocked though, so it isn't perfect.

As for what you actually do, it's based on either Stamina (used for individual gameplay levels used for progression) or daily usage limits (everything else). Stamina starts high (60 levels worth) and regenerates slowly with a full reset every day, also given as an occasional quest reward. Daily usage limits are fairly low, but you can get more by logging in every day or paying with Diamonds, the real-money currency which can also be used for a ton of other stuff as well. Fairly standard FTP stuff, and nothing obviously pay-to-instawin.

The actual text is pretty good as far as these tend to go, with only one or two painfully Engrish sentences and only a few lines of dialogue too long for the box. There was one fairly painful reference (the Tauren Cain Bloodhoof in a place obviously meant to be Thunder Bluff, and a couple NPC and enemy designs in the area which look like better versions of World of Warcraft Orcs and Tauren) which makes me worry about other zones farther in. I can go into more specifics and post a video or two if people want and Devious Vacuum says it's okay, but for now this is more than enough of a side-track. I wound up putting in upwards of 6 hours into the game before putting this post together and threw $5 their way for a giving a decent experience, and I'm surprised to say it isn't complete poo poo as it goes for a browser based FTP MMO-lite. As long as you stick to the gameplay and background art that is.

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
^ That pulsating boob is hypnotic

To provide more nightmare fuel for you, our beloved baby hazel has her own corner of hell! Please look into the Baby Hazel and Liam dating game on there! She shouldn't be dating if she still drinks from a bottle!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Onean posted:

Girl.me advertisement:

Google.com search result advertisement:

(Yes, there really is that much of a difference between the music quality, that's not a recording screw-up on my end. The in-game music is much better than either example, though still only mediocre at best.)

Once you get into the game it actually looks pretty good, aside from a pretty serious chainmail bikini issue. Battles are initiated simply by touching enemies, and once they start you have absolutely no control over them. However, there is eventually* a decent amount of depth due to a good selection of recruitable heroes, mounts, Angels and chance-based Aegises.

Wow. That actually sounds like a passable game for once. Not amazing, but at least able to whittle away a few hours on. And of course vastly different signup pages, one of which is a lot less decent than the other.
And pulsating virginal referencing boobs.

Unlike some of the other MMOs I've seen.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

Mesimean posted:

To provide more nightmare fuel for you, our beloved baby hazel has her own corner of hell! Please look into the Baby Hazel and Liam dating game on there! She shouldn't be dating if she still drinks from a bottle!

I didn't even notice it before you pointed it out. Why did they make her breasts pulsate? That's not attractive, it's worrisome and downright scary because either her muscles are having a goddamn rave party without inviting her, or she has a predator baby in both of her breasts.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mesimean posted:

It really is, and not pleasantly. :stare:

Veloxyll posted:

Wow. That actually sounds like a passable game for once. Not amazing, but at least able to whittle away a few hours on. And of course vastly different signup pages, one of which is a lot less decent than the other.
And pulsating virginal referencing boobs.

The different signup pages actually kind of surprised me. I did a Google search first, and then decided to grab the link off of the other site's ad when two sites came up for LoA. I can see why they do it though. And yeah, it's pretty good as a way to pass an hour or two if you've got nothing better to do.

Jynxite posted:

I didn't even notice it before you pointed it out. Why did they make her breasts pulsate? That's not attractive, it's worrisome and downright scary because either her muscles are having a goddamn rave party without inviting her, or she has a predator baby in both of her breasts.

It was actually the first thing that drew my attention when I opened the window. Which doesn't even make sense, as you don't see it until it's distracting you from what they're trying to sell and doesn't happen In any of the other places she or that asset are.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but that's an amazing show. Can't remember the name of it though. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 8, 2014

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Development Chest.

Development Chest.

That eye surgery game reminded me of why after Trauma Centre 1, the organs of patients became a lot more abstract and unrealistically coloured. It wasn't especially bad though - I'd be totally down for other games that broke down a medical process accurately. 'S better than cooking games that don't teach you how to cook.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 8, 2014

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Jynxite posted:

or she has a predator baby in both of her breasts.

I'm not sure what it says about my mind that that's the first thing I thought of. Oh god there's some kind of larval alien monstrosity gestating inside her boob why :gonk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Six Of Spades posted:

That eye surgery game reminded me of why after Trauma Centre 1, the organs of patients became a lot more abstract and unrealistically coloured.
Virtual Surgeon: Open Heart, a sort of sequel to Life & Death 1 and 2, mixed in photos here and there, and that's a game where you spend most of the time either staring at the heart amidst an open ribcage, or diagnosing Mr. Chesthair Manboobs. The 90s were awesome.
I prefer L&D2, though. It has "ripping off a skin flap off the patients skull with your bare hands and holding it up with seel hooks" as a standard start for the surgery.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Onean posted:

So I couldn't take it anymore and just had to check out League of Angels to see how terrible it was. First impressions weren't great, with different account set-up screens depending on where you came from.

The game was published R2Games. It's a Chinese company that specializes in creating/licensing micro transaction heavy F2P Chinese browser games and localizing them for English speaking audiences. Watercooler/Kabam, who hosts the English version of some of their games, said that the publisher handled the advertising for the games.

However, these games are notorious for their English ad campaign. Not unlike the ads for Evony Online, they've come under fire for heavily using sex and misleading information in their ads. For example, the ads for Wartune were infamous for saying "For male gamers only!" and "You deserve an orgy!" It also illegally used the ESRB's AO rating without submitting the gaem to them. There are other issues such as how these ads do not accurately reflect the game's art and going as far as to use assets from other games.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh this is a wonderful thread.

I think either I'm legally restricted from doing these games due to NDAs, or I just don't have the wherewithal to do them. But I'm posting this anyway for the thread's benefit.

Since we're discussing games that send terrible messages to girls, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Otome Games (As presented by Voltage).

Pictured above: Be My Princess, an Otome Game about a regular girl falling in love with a prince of your choice

Voltage-style Otome Games are sort of like dating sims, in the vague sense. If you've seen Tokimeki Memorial or Sakura Wars, you'd know that the more video game style dating sim involves managing a schedule and time, and making challenging decisions with the possibility of failure. You will find none of that here.

The typical Voltage Otome Game format is that you play as a girl and go through a prologue. Then you choose the boy whose story you want to see. And it is a story. There are choices, but they offer the illusion of interaction without any meaningful alteration to the flowchart. A typical choice will go as follows:

Boy: "Hey, Girl. Let's sneak out past curfew and hit the town."
Girl: "Hmm..."

(BEGIN FLOWCHART)
A) Say yes -> "Okay!"
B) Say no -> "We shouldn't do that." "Oh don't be such a spoilsport." "Well, okay."
C) Dither -> "I don't know..." "C'mon, it'll be fun." "Well, okay."
(END FLOWCHART)

As you can see from this standard exchange, the girl has zero agency in the plot and no say in anything that happens. It's all about the guy and how much the girl likes him. The girl is also typically stupid. Like really stupid. The choices give you points to determine which of two endings you get, but the endings are both happy endings, so it gets sorted into categories like Happy Ending or Super Happy Ending.

Pictured: The same game, but you can pay for extra stories with each prince's respective butler.

Oh, payment. Yes. The games are free-to-play, but they have a minigame model that requires spending daily points to win the minigame to unlock the next portion of the story. Of course, the easiest way to do this is to just pay money for the points and do it all at once.

I have spent the past several years translating these games for a living, and even when I tried to download one from Google Play to see how the finished product turned out, I just couldn't play it. The interface was clunky, and I wasn't ready to pay actual money to get past the prologue.

If any of you have actually played these things, I would love to hear some impressions from non-Tumblrites. If you're curious, well... Godspeed.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 8, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

As a concern, if it's anything like every microwave oven I've ever seen, attempting to use the conventional element will make your food, kitchen, hair, and entire house smell and taste like burning plastic. Though that might be just because they're used so infrequently.

If you like your cakes rated as an environmental hazard though that's a plus.

Great now I have the dungeon heart sound effect/combine dark energy reactor sound effect stuck in my head.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 8, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sunning posted:

The game was published R2Games. It's a Chinese company that specializes in creating/licensing micro transaction heavy F2P Chinese browser games and localizing them for English speaking audiences. Watercooler/Kabam, who hosts the English version of some of their games, said that the publisher handled the advertising for the games.

However, these games are notorious for their English ad campaign. Not unlike the ads for Evony Online, they've come under fire for heavily using sex and misleading information in their ads. For example, the ads for Wartune were infamous for saying "For male gamers only!" and "You deserve an orgy!" It also illegally used the ESRB's AO rating without submitting the gaem to them. There are other issues such as how these ads do not accurately reflect the game's art and going as far as to use assets from other games.

This was honestly exactly what I was expecting. However, either they've turned over a new leaf, or they got into some serious legal trouble as that doesn't seem to be the case here. The first signup image looks exactly like something a Mage, the second (of two) classes you can play as. The second is used as the background for a different promotion they have to try and get you to buy Diamonds.

I was pleasantly surprised by that.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dijon du jour, I just wanted to say that your avatar is probably more fitting for your posts than anything I could imagine. It's just such a beautifully enraged, horrified expression, staring straight at the post, and I love it. I hope someone rescues you from Treebeard, Whispy Wood, and Derp Apple!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

What do you mean League of Angels is decent?! I hate it when Kaubocks is right.

EDIT: Me irl

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Hokuto posted:

The typical Otome Game format is that you play as a girl and go through a prologue. Then you choose the boy whose story you want to see. And it is a story. There are choices, but they offer the illusion of interaction without any meaningful alteration to the flowchart. A typical choice will go as follows:

This is the typical format for a few certain brands of otome games (almost entirely made by Voltage and Solmare) delivered on mobile phones, not for otome as a whole.

'Otome game' just means a story-based game with a female protagonist aimed at a female player. Dating sims with more stat-managing elements, puzzles, or RPG battles still count as otome. Otome games on PC/PSP/PS2 (the primary consoles for otome games, as far as I know... I think there are one or two on the DS? but not many) are far more likely to have branching plotlines and meaningful choices. Lead characters still tend to be a bit passive, but there is a lot of variation. Some are very much the movers and shakers of the plot. Some are action girls. Bad endings (and REALLY bad endings - some of these games include all sorts of abuse and end up with everyone dead!) definitely exist, and guaranteed happy endings are not the norm at all outside the phone market as far as I can tell.

Even with mobile phone games there are some that don't just have Happy and Super Happy endings (I think that's a Voltage trait, isn't it?). However, the format makes a big difference in the way the games are designed. Because they're working in either a free-to-play model or a buy-this-character's-storyline model, the phone games are much more about instant rewards and always leading to a happy outcome. If you've just paid for the chance to romance bachelor #3, you don't want it to turn out badly... Or at least, that seems to be the thinking.

I don't have a smartphone so I haven't played them myself but I've read several playthroughs of these games on a different forum. Some are really, really dull. Some are at least somewhat entertaining. The best of this type I've seen so far seem to be 'In Your Arms Tonight' (aka 'the one with the divorce') and 'Kiss Of Revenge' (aka 'the one with the murder plot')

quote:

I have spent the past several years translating these games for a living, and even when I tried to download one from Google Play to see how the finished product turned out, I just couldn't play it. The interface was clunky, and I wasn't ready to pay actual money to get past the prologue.

... I don't suppose you're willing to freelance translate some better games? No? Alas.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

gegi posted:

I don't have a smartphone so I haven't played them myself but I've read several playthroughs of these games on a different forum. Some are really, really dull. Some are at least somewhat entertaining. The best of this type I've seen so far seem to be 'In Your Arms Tonight' (aka 'the one with the divorce') and 'Kiss Of Revenge' (aka 'the one with the murder plot')

... I don't suppose you're willing to freelance translate some better games? No? Alas.

I can confirm that In Your Arms Tonight is the best thing I've seen out of the Voltage games, and even then, the amount of casual sexism in the game is staggering. Every time the heroine meets her in-laws, the first question out of their mouth is, "So, when are you going to quit your job and raise a family?" It's a woman who just landed her dream job but is still expected to do cooking and chores on top of working constant overtime at her job. And I don't mean American chores where you can throw clothes in the dryer and cook up some Hamburger Helper; No, this is Japanese chores where you have to spend 2 hours prepping dinner (because instant mixes above the tier of cup ramen don't exist) and hang all of your laundry by hand because dryer hookups physically don't exist in houses or apartments. Nobody ever questions this or considers it as anything but the norm, and nobody is ever expected to chip in. There's so much opportunity but it's squandered because the heroine is a stereotypical Japanese doormat.

I would love nothing more than to freelance translate better games (Toki no Kizuna looked interesting when I saw it), but generally that means getting paid for them, not doing them for free. :v:

I will also grant that the majority of my Otome Game experience has been with Voltage games, so I'll amend my post accordingly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Video says it's still being processed, but here it is. I woulda posted this earlier but I only just found out twitch can transfer over to youtube.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man, did cooking games as a thing even exist before Cooking Mama, or did everyone just see "wow, people really like this game on the DS, we could copy it in Flash"? They all seem to share similar features of using straight lines and/or single clicks to do all of your work for you, and also being about as educational for "how to cook" as Guitar Hero is.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

KataraniSword posted:

Man, did cooking games as a thing even exist before Cooking Mama, or did everyone just see "wow, people really like this game on the DS, we could copy it in Flash"?
They existed, but I think they rarely if ever made it out of Japan and if they did they did so without fanfare.

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Man, did cooking games as a thing even exist before Cooking Mama, or did everyone just see "wow, people really like this game on the DS, we could copy it in Flash"?

Ore no Ryouri, Playstation, 1999:

Ore no Ryouri was the cooking game, and was more game-like than pretty much anything Cooking Mama or derived from it because it had a time limit, competition, plenty of fail states, and so on. It seemed to help inspire the time-management genre if anything. And yes, it looks like a "boy" game rather than the "girl" games we see today.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're asking. I actually don't know... didn't one of those "girl games" sites claim to be around prior to 1999, or am I misremembering?

EDIT 2: Yeah, but it was "DressUpGames.com", which said it was started in 1998. Which I guess doesn't resolve the question. Well, I only remember weird ones like Taco Joe, nothing as systematic as the Cooking Mama clones.

Leximancer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 8, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Onean posted:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but that's an amazing show. Can't remember the name of it though. :(

Absolutely Tasty.

Available here, with english subtitles: http://www.teamgaki.com/more-subtitles/
Scroll down to where you see "Torrent 2 (8.3GB)", all the translated AT episodes are in that torrent.

Yeah, it's 8 gigs, but your friendly neighborhood torrent client should have options to get one file at a time. And after you see a couple of episodes, you'll probably want to get the 32 gigabyte all-inclusive torrent anyway.

Might be on youtube as well, haven't really checked.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 8, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Mesimean posted:

This game's art horrifies me.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
What young girl doesn't dream of raising Hector Hammond's babies?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I seem to be a little late to the party, but here's what I made. I have no sense of fashion so I just picked stuff I thought looked pretty.

With a closeup on my sweet hair.

Then I made a wizard

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pretty Art-nouveau wizard is the best. :)

I think I may have found a game that is both suitable for this thread and my awful MMO series over on the BAD games thread.

Girls like horses, right?

Riding lessons, or god forbid, actually owning a pony is bloody expensive.

Fortunately, Star Stable has the answer. It seems to be a kid orientated horse-themed MMO. There's always a chance that its not vacant and horrible and has actual good gameplay. Despite being a bit pink the website and company behind it seem like a proper professional outfit rather than the shoveware webgames.

I did look at some web-based horse games; there seems to be a mix of dress up games featuring horses ranging from mutant My little Ponies to semi-realistic looking ones, and a more actiony variant where you control a sluggish horse over jumps. These commit the game design flaw of requiring you to click on interface elements like the Start button with the mouse, but needing two handed keyboard control for the action.

There also seemed to be one that wanted me to build wells and lumbermills and so on on my ranch before I could do anything with the free horse - some mutant unicorn zebra thing that mewled piteously when I gave it apples or groomed it - and crashed before I could try out the eventing mini-games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can gauge the qualities of Star Stable in this video by the Coffee Men: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5J8vnqoYFo&list=UUYzWC4BG5DQ0-1pE83sinMw&feature=c4-overview

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

There is one pasta which has its origin from :airquote:Italy:airquote: and its name is :airquote:Cannelloni:airquote:.
I'm, uh, not sure you've quite gotten the hang of quotation marks there, game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinaldo posted:

I'm, uh, not sure you've quite gotten the hang of quotation marks there, game.

The author is a historical revisionist and doesn't recognize the legitimacy of unified Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

chocolatekake posted:

I seem to be a little late to the party, but here's what I made. I have no sense of fashion so I just picked stuff I thought looked pretty.

With a closeup on my sweet hair.

Then I made a wizard

I love this wizard.

Also, I think too many people in this thread are overthinking "having a sense of fashion". Picking stuff you like should be what the gameplay in dress up games is all about, as minimal as that gameplay may be, and moreover picking what makes you feel great should be what fashion is about IRL. In my experience, the people who have fun with fashion are the ones who dress however they would prefer to dress, not the ones who scour magazines for trends or whatever.

In that spirit, here's a few more of my beauteous creations.

First up, say hello to Disney Prince Satan!

Here's a slightly deranged Shirley Temple Carnie!

(Created in A Little Bit of Vintage here.)

Then I stumbled upon Tutti Frutti. I'm not sure why there are a plethora of fruit-themed dress up games? Are fruits an especially girly food or something? But, on the upside, it allows you to make something that is kind of like Hipster-Jem pre-fruit prom. So I'm cool with it.

And last but not least, There's Cute Pajamas Dress Up which I found totally accurate to my cute pajamas experiences.

• Locked thread