Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zonohedron posted:

This is kind of what I meant by not being able to imagine doing errands without the mei tai - we didn't have a stroller initially (because the mei tai was so convenient), and then when we did, the prospect of lifting a 15-pound car seat plus however many pounds of baby out of the base and wrestling it into the stroller was really unappealing. Even when I was flying with him by myself, it was always easier for me to take him out of the seat, put him in the mei tai, move the car seat into or out of the stroller, take him out of the mei tai, and then put him back in the seat, rather than transfer him and the seat as a unit, even though writing it out makes it sound like three times as much work.

Alexandra, like most babies, would fall asleep in the car. Being able to move the seat with her in it into the stroller meant that I didn't need to wake her up to move her, which was hugely helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Cimber posted:

i have two kids under 5 year old. I love them both dearly but sometimes I WANT TO SLAP THE EVERLIVING poo poo OUT OF THEM

never have, never will but boy do they know how to piss me off sometimes.

Yeah. Some days are like that. :glomp:

Acrolos posted:

So, I have an 11 month old who has had a cold for pretty much the past 4-5 months, with only small breaks of health. For the most part, she is perfectly fine and other than an occasional cough and a constantly runny nose, she acts like nothing is bothering her. The problem is that she vomits...constantly.

She goes to bed around 8:00pm and usually while drinking her milk, she'll vomit. She wakes up at 2:00am and wants a bottle, more often than not, she'll vomit. She usually does ok after breakfast, but will usually vomit after eating lunch, and almost always does after dinner. It's insanely frustrating and the doctors refuse to give us anything to treat her respiratory infection...but I feel horrible watching her vomit (often projectile) multiple times a day.

Has anyone dealt with this, or have any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to help her?

She sounds like she might have reflux, although that usually presents younger than 11 months IIRC. Has she always vomited like that? My oldest had reflux (perpetual vomiting), starting at about 3 months. We started with Zyantac at the ped, but that didn't work and we went to the ped GI. I want to say he was about 6 months and was only holding down about 6 oz of formula a day and was outright refusing bottles unless he was half asleep during the night. He lived on cereal and baby food bananas I think exclusively for weeks at that point. His weight stagnated and he stopped wetting as much as he should have. Lansoprazole (Prevacid?) did the trick. He grew out of it by about 14 months.

If she's vomiting that much, and you're concerned about her perpetual snot (oh, and they have perpetual snot), have you considered getting a second opinion from another ped? Or seeing a ped GI because of the vomiting? She may be perfectly fine, no reflux and just in the typical throws of viruses. But if her respiratory symptoms are relentless and making her unhappy, and her vomiting is that often and consistent, it can't hurt to see another practice to make sure.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Volmarias posted:

Alexandra, like most babies, would fall asleep in the car. Being able to move the seat with her in it into the stroller meant that I didn't need to wake her up to move her, which was hugely helpful.

My oldest was colicie as a young baby. One night I had to drive around the housing complex we were staying at for two hours, just going in circles, to get him to fall asleep. When he finally did fall asleep i just left him in the car seat. No way in hell was I taking him out and waking him up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cimber posted:

My oldest was colicie as a young baby. One night I had to drive around the housing complex we were staying at for two hours, just going in circles, to get him to fall asleep. When he finally did fall asleep i just left him in the car seat. No way in hell was I taking him out and waking him up.

That reminds me, another nice thing was when Alex fell asleep in the car, we could just bring her inside still in the car seat, and put it down in her room with her still happily nestled inside of it. When she would wake up later to feed, we could take her out then, feed her, and put her into her crib. Taking her out of the seat to bring her inside would have woken her up, and we would have spent half an hour coaxing her back to sleep.

Whoever compared rocking a newborn to sleep to defusing a bomb was more right than they knew.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Volmarias posted:

That reminds me, another nice thing was when Alex fell asleep in the car, we could just bring her inside still in the car seat, and put it down in her room with her still happily nestled inside of it. When she would wake up later to feed, we could take her out then, feed her, and put her into her crib. Taking her out of the seat to bring her inside would have woken her up, and we would have spent half an hour coaxing her back to sleep.

Whoever compared rocking a newborn to sleep to defusing a bomb was more right than they knew.

absolutely! And the car seat itself rocked when placed on the carpet, so if he fussed a bit after we took him out of the car we would just rock the seat and he would settle down.

But let me tell you, i would not wish a baby with colic on my worst enemy.

I laughed when we were forced to watch the no shake video at the hospital before they would let us go home with our newborn, thinking "I would never do that to a baby, what the hell is wrong with people."
We did shift work with the baby for the first few months. I had to take care of him from 9 PM - 2 AM, and she took 2 AM onwards so I could get sleep before work. After a month of a baby with colic, there were a couple of times I had to very carefully put that little poo poo back into his crib and step away and let the wife take over for a few during my shift because I was about to go postal.

I never hurt him, but there were a few times that exhaustion, rage and near constant crying from him made me awfully close.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

absolutely! And the car seat itself rocked when placed on the carpet, so if he fussed a bit after we took him out of the car we would just rock the seat and he would settle down.

But let me tell you, i would not wish a baby with colic on my worst enemy.

I laughed when we were forced to watch the no shake video at the hospital before they would let us go home with our newborn, thinking "I would never do that to a baby, what the hell is wrong with people."
We did shift work with the baby for the first few months. I had to take care of him from 9 PM - 2 AM, and she took 2 AM onwards so I could get sleep before work. After a month of a baby with colic, there were a couple of times I had to very carefully put that little poo poo back into his crib and step away and let the wife take over for a few during my shift because I was about to go postal.

I never hurt him, but there were a few times that exhaustion, rage and near constant crying from him made me awfully close.

Have you seen this article?:
http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2011/10/1/my-baby-wont-stop-crying.html

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Acrolos posted:

So, I have an 11 month old who has had a cold for pretty much the past 4-5 months, with only small breaks of health. For the most part, she is perfectly fine and other than an occasional cough and a constantly runny nose, she acts like nothing is bothering her. The problem is that she vomits...constantly.

She goes to bed around 8:00pm and usually while drinking her milk, she'll vomit. She wakes up at 2:00am and wants a bottle, more often than not, she'll vomit. She usually does ok after breakfast, but will usually vomit after eating lunch, and almost always does after dinner. It's insanely frustrating and the doctors refuse to give us anything to treat her respiratory infection...but I feel horrible watching her vomit (often projectile) multiple times a day.

Has anyone dealt with this, or have any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to help her?

Could the problem be with the milk? I was like this as a child, for years and years. Sick with a cold, then sick with allergies, then sick with a cold, repeat. Finally my parents took me to an allergist and she recommended a milk-free trial, and within three days, pretty much all the throwing up had stopped, and within two weeks, all the colds and runny noses had stopped as well. She said that milk is mucus-forming and that more and more children are having problems digesting it. Granted, this was decades ago, but I still can't have milk without getting sick. Could you try a milk-free week with soy formula instead? Would your pediatrician refer you to an allergist? It sounds like your little girl is so miserable. :-(

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

LOL that's great, and very true.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

THanks for all of the thoughts - we ended up taking her to the urgent care this morning after she had a fever on top of everything else. It turns out that she has RSV and the phlegm in her throat is simply causing the regurgitation.

Sucks that she has to deal with it, but since she's 11 months old, hopefully that will end soon (although I know the RSV is a longer term thing).

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

LOL that's great, and very true.

Pretending that our baby was singing part of the Led Zeppelin immigrant song helped us a great deal!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My friend's baby was diagnosed with colic and for the first 6-months he just screamed and screamed. Then somebody decided he might be lactose intolerant, they switched to soy formula and he's a whole new kid. It made me wonder, is colic even a real thing?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^ I was a colicky baby - I screamed for hours every day for the first three months or so of my life, then stopped pretty much over night, and I'm as far from lactose intolerant as you can get. It's a thing in the sense that some babies scream way more than your average baby and nothing seems to help, untill they just magically stop, so you might as well give the condition a name other than Banshee Baby Syndrome, but the cause is generally unknown (according to wikipedia less than 5 % of babies that fit the colic criteria of crying for more than three hours a day, for more than three days a week for a three week duration while being otherwise healthy, turn out to have an underlying medical condition). My not-supported-by-anything-remotely-sciency-armchair-doctor-theory is that it has something to do with an underdeveloped digestive system, since the colicky babies I've seen basically looked to me like they had an awful stomach ache, and the whole getting-better-without-any-obvious-cause seems to me to point to something intestine-related just maturing to the point of functioning normally.

We had our baby decorate cards (fine, we smeared her hand with red paint and pressed it against some sheets of paper while distracting her with a toy to keep her from flailing wildly and/or eating the paint) for various grandmothers and great grandmothers for Mothers Day. It basically looks like a massacre took place. Nothing says "I love you, grandma" like an ax murder motif.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Lactose intolerance isn't really a thing until much older (around age six). The baby probably had a milk protein allergy or intolerance and luckily wasn't one of the ones with a soy intolerance too.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Underdeveloped digestive system is the latest research I've seen as well. Removing milk may be helpful in the short term while his digestive system catches up as it's tougher to digest but you may want to consider reintroducing it later.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My mom keeps telling me that kiddo will start being colicky at any time because me and my sister both were. He's seven weeks as of Monday and is only occasionally fussy in the evenings - which is solved with a boob in his face. Honestly, how will I know if he is or if he passed through prime time for colic?

Side note - latch issues had finally resolved and we are champs at breast feeding now. My nipples are so excited.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Anya posted:

My mom keeps telling me that kiddo will start being colicky at any time because me and my sister both were. He's seven weeks as of Monday and is only occasionally fussy in the evenings - which is solved with a boob in his face. Honestly, how will I know if he is or if he passed through prime time for colic?

Side note - latch issues had finally resolved and we are champs at breast feeding now. My nipples are so excited.

Did you have to deal with breast feeding nazi's at your hospital? Ours were terrible. My wife tried to breast feed our first kid, but it didnt work very well so we switched to bottles.

The nazi told us, and i directly quote "If you really loved your baby you would keep trying to breast feed."

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Anya posted:

Yay! It can be so hard to get things figured out and to push through the pain, but when everything works out, breast feeding is such an easy and convenient way to feed baby!

And I was, as I mentioned above, a colicky baby, but my kid just had the normal evening fussies. Colic karma is not guaranteed ;)

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Anya posted:

Colic/fussiness is said to typically start around 2 weeks, peak at 6 to 8 weeks, and taper off at 3 to 4 months (adjust that to the due date if the baby was early or late) . My daughter just turned 4 months and is mellowing out a lot after her earlier days when she was very fussy (every night from around 7pm to 10pm ranging from having some grumpiness to being completely inconsolable). My in-laws say my husband was colicky (cried a lot unless he was held/worn) so she was predisposed to it, but honestly infant fussiness follows a curve and it's usually not caused by anything other than babies being little babies. We mentioned it to her pediatrician in case there was a medical cause to it (there wasn't in our case), but other than comforting her when she was upset there wasn't anything we did/gave her to get rid of the fussiness and it went away on its own as she got older. Even though she was really fussy (I remember counting down the weeks to when it was supposed to get better because I was so worn out from having her scream like clockwork every day), I'm personally not a fan of the term colic in otherwise healthy babies because it implies an illness or problem when it's probably just one end of the range of normal. The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp explains this really well. It's normal for babies to follow this pattern.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

skeetied posted:

Lactose intolerance isn't really a thing until much older (around age six). The baby probably had a milk protein allergy or intolerance and luckily wasn't one of the ones with a soy intolerance too.

This is interesting to me. I am lactose intolerant (you do NOT want to be in an elevator with me during Shamrock Shake season) and the kiddo, if given liquid cow's milk, will have adult-stank gas, that makes her stomach really, really hurt, and will have loose, stank, enormous, painful bowel movements. We switched to the lactose-free milk and she can drink a ton of that with no problem. She's ok with moderate cheese, but ice cream is Right. Out. I, too, think that she should be too young to be lactose intolerant, but I promise we've done science with the whole thing, and it is so clearly the standard milk that does it to her. What else might cause that? I'm game to try other things.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't know about the lactose intolerance not being a thing until six or not but I do not a lot of babies can have dairy protein sensitivity. If I ate a lot of dairy foods and breastfed my babby he had horrible gas, spit up a lot, and his poops were terrible. I eliminated dairy and he did a lot better. Breastmilk still has lactose in it so he wasn't lactose intolerant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

He's thankfully outgrown it so I am eating cheese and ice cream en masse again. :)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Great moments in parenting:

I had been carrying my son on my back in the ergo when he had a giant poop. Took him off and changed said poop. Five minutes later he walks for the first time and we get it on video and post it to Facebook.

...only to realize later I am in said video with a smear poop stain on the back of my shirt.

So...proud...

Esther Gum
Dec 27, 2005
:-)
It's not the lactose in dairy that bothers babies, it's the proteins (such as casein but not necessarily just casein) in the milk. Sometimes the way the dairy is processed can kill off those proteins and cause lesser to no reaction at all.

For example when nursing my son milk and ice cream were out. However if I had some hard cheese? It wasn't a big deal and he didn't have any issues. He's 20 months and still gets gassy from ice cream. I've been staying away from it for so long that my body has gotten used to not having cow's milk so when I do I feel awful for hours afterward.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The breast feeding nazis were my parents. I almost apologized to the nurses because they were so annoying. I made the comment about him eating "real food" one day and my dad was like, "HE'S EATING REAL FOOD NOW!" Jesus, calm down. Dad came down Sunday, and we were talking about colic since a friend's child has it- and he insisted it was coming. Even after I explained what exactly it was and how it wasn't evening fussiness. The kid is 7.5 weeks, if it hasn't started, I am guessing it's not happening.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Wow, this is a lot of thread. Apologies if there's already been a derail about toddlers dealing with younger kids, but my son's starting to get on my last nerve with this stuff.

My son (Jamie) will be two in a week and a half, and he's very precocious for his age; he never stops talking, learns words like nothing, knows his entire alphabet, shapes, colors, numbers to 20, etc. Problem is, he seems to have smart-only-child-syndrome even at this age. I watch my 1-year-old niece (Sophie) 5-6 days a week because my brother-in-law is a mooch, and while I love her, she's at that age where she's getting into everything that's not nailed down, including Jamie's food/toys/random bit of plastic he found under the TV and thinks is a powpow. This wouldn't really be an issue if he was old enough to understand how to just tell her no and move away where she can't reach him, but every single time she gets within a foot of him for any reason, he lets out this ear-splitting wail like someone's stabbing him in the eye, complete with "NO SOPHIE NOOOOOOOO SOPHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" until someone comes to get her or she gets bored on her own. He doesn't even think to get up and move, which I guess is normal for two.

I guess my question is, what's the best way to try to teach him to either share or move away? I've tried explaining it to him about sixteen different ways, encouraging him to move, moving him somewhere else, moving Sophie somewhere else (this works, but not really feasible since she can't stay in the high chair all day), even shouting when I get to the point of "oh my god please just STOP SCREAMING", which I hate. He's got some temper/MINE issues right now anyway, being two, but the fact that he refuses to let her get within a foot of him no matter what he's doing is what's really frustrating. She's not quite walking yet, but even so, it's impossible to keep her away from him for long, and he's the big boy, so I feel like he should be the one that learns to deal with her, not the other way round. :( He's going to have a little brother/sister in four months anyway, and I'm kinda worried how he's going to react to the baby if he's this bad with Sophie.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

TheKennedys posted:

Wow, this is a lot of thread. Apologies if there's already been a derail about toddlers dealing with younger kids, but my son's starting to get on my last nerve with this stuff.

My son (Jamie) will be two in a week and a half, and he's very precocious for his age; he never stops talking, learns words like nothing, knows his entire alphabet, shapes, colors, numbers to 20, etc. Problem is, he seems to have smart-only-child-syndrome even at this age. I watch my 1-year-old niece (Sophie) 5-6 days a week because my brother-in-law is a mooch, and while I love her, she's at that age where she's getting into everything that's not nailed down, including Jamie's food/toys/random bit of plastic he found under the TV and thinks is a powpow. This wouldn't really be an issue if he was old enough to understand how to just tell her no and move away where she can't reach him, but every single time she gets within a foot of him for any reason, he lets out this ear-splitting wail like someone's stabbing him in the eye, complete with "NO SOPHIE NOOOOOOOO SOPHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" until someone comes to get her or she gets bored on her own. He doesn't even think to get up and move, which I guess is normal for two.

I guess my question is, what's the best way to try to teach him to either share or move away? I've tried explaining it to him about sixteen different ways, encouraging him to move, moving him somewhere else, moving Sophie somewhere else (this works, but not really feasible since she can't stay in the high chair all day), even shouting when I get to the point of "oh my god please just STOP SCREAMING", which I hate. He's got some temper/MINE issues right now anyway, being two, but the fact that he refuses to let her get within a foot of him no matter what he's doing is what's really frustrating. She's not quite walking yet, but even so, it's impossible to keep her away from him for long, and he's the big boy, so I feel like he should be the one that learns to deal with her, not the other way round. :( He's going to have a little brother/sister in four months anyway, and I'm kinda worried how he's going to react to the baby if he's this bad with Sophie.

Time outs for the kid, and time outs for the toys. If your kid is reacting poorly to a situation, remove him from the situation. "Yes, I understand that you don't like it when sophie plays with your things but she is a guest, she is a baby, and you have lots of toys. Sit on the couch and calm down." Just enough to break up the moment, and make screaming unrewarding. If every time he screams he has a 30 second time out, he'll either stop screaming, or escalate into a legitimate freakout that earns him hard "its time you took a nap" time.

Two year olds are screamy, but you can definitely moderate by removing them from the situation and the stimulus. Doesn't have to be long at all, and as soon as he's got his breathing under control, you can go back to whatever. If he keeps on stirring up over the same toy, then that toy goes on a high shelf. Etc. etc. Don't get mad, don't shout back, just interrupt and remove. It works...eventually.

You can't really reason with a 2 year old, you explain what you are doing because you want to be in the habit of communicating, and modelling calm behavior, but most of what works is just making it unrewarding to be lovely.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Huge Graco carseat recall (not for infant seats) http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/graco-recall/5396939/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

One thing that we do with my son is to designate one toy _his_ that no one else can play with. Everything else he has to share with his sister and cousins, but that one truck is his and his alone. He seems to be a bit better about that.

But at 2-4 they are naturally self centered, so its very hard. You just have to keep trying and be patient.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Key is that the article says not to freak out as it's just because of a sticky buckle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VorpalBunny posted:

We waited with both kids until they were a bit older, like 8-months, to start solids. By then they had dexterity to feed themselves, strength to sit up on their own in high chairs, and a bit more communication to let us know what was working. We started with super soft stuff like cottage cheese, smushed fruits, rice, etc. I actually haven't really done purees with my youngest, she just eats the softest stuff everyone else eats supplemented with stuff like banana and eggs.

And every kid gags, it's how they learn to do stuff like chew and swallow. If you are really freaked out about it, take a child CPR class. It will give you peace of mind beyond the dining table.

Our twins at pretty much exactly 5 months now, are already eating solids, if by solids we mean purees? Or are we talking whole bits?

We've been feeding them baby food (homemade) for 3-4 weeks now, started with potatoes, then carrots, then chicken, tried plums most recently. They both seem to like to eat "real food".

The doctors recommended we start early, especially with the meat so they can get extra protein because they are prematures and have so much growing todo. They also like to suck on these non salted puffed corn thingies.

And I'll loving explode if I can't post some baby pictures:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We call them baby cheezy poofs in our house, they're awesome! She has fun eating them, and they get insanely sticky, so we have fun watching her flailing about when her food is stuck to her hand/forehead/nose.

I've put my big girl pants on and tried feeding her proper bits of food over the last couple of days, and she's finally starting to figure poo poo out.
She's eating bread with liver paste (:norway:) like a champ, and she loved salmon. I just have to watch very carefully to make sure that she's actually swallowed her last piece before I give her the next, otherwise the hoarding begins and suddenly she's struggling with giant wad of food.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sockmuppet posted:

We call them baby cheezy poofs in our house, they're awesome! She has fun eating them, and they get insanely sticky, so we have fun watching her flailing about when her food is stuck to her hand/forehead/nose.

I've put my big girl pants on and tried feeding her proper bits of food over the last couple of days, and she's finally starting to figure poo poo out.
She's eating bread with liver paste (:norway:) like a champ, and she loved salmon. I just have to watch very carefully to make sure that she's actually swallowed her last piece before I give her the next, otherwise the hoarding begins and suddenly she's struggling with giant wad of food.

I wish i could have given my kids fish, its so good for them, but our doctor told my wife that seafood has small levels of lead, which is bad for their growing brains. So wife freaked out and said no :(

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
5-months seems awfully young for so many solids, but if your doctor told you to go for it who am I to say otherwise?

It just bums me out that everyone seems to be in such a rush for their babies to grow up. I have a few Facebook friends who are itching to turn their carseat around before 2-years because their kids are "so excited for it!" Those kids don't know any better, and it's way safer to be rear-facing than front, but it's the same old arguments and this basic rush for their babies to grow up. Pushing for walking and talking and milestones, ignoring the general awesome wonder of infancy.

It's such a short period of their life, just try to enjoy it while you can. Let babies be babies!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Cimber posted:

I wish i could have given my kids fish, its so good for them, but our doctor told my wife that seafood has small levels of lead, which is bad for their growing brains. So wife freaked out and said no :(

Just point out that there's lead in everything and she'll come around. It's a bit dumb of your doctor to make a big deal of that tbh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of never want to feed my kid meat. I'm not even a vegetarian so I have no idea why I feel this way. He's eight months now and has had bananas, pears, apples, squash, chick peas, peas, green beans, prunes, sweet potato, cantaloupe, spinach, cauliflower, carrots, grits, Gerber puffs, no salt ritz, and broccoli. He's probably more than ready for little bits of meat. For some reason I just feel like he shouldn't.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Just point out that there's lead in everything and she'll come around. It's a bit dumb of your doctor to make a big deal of that tbh.

There is varying levels of mercury in different types of seafood, and several different health organizations recommend reduced or eliminated portions for pregnant/nursing mothers and small children because of the health risks. So maybe it's better that she doesn't "come around" and instead follows what the doctor told her.

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011
I have a one and a half year old that books have described as "spirited". Very outgoing. Loves new people. Smart enough to get into a lot of trouble. Where he has been ahead of the curve learning everything else, he's having problems with talking. We're still at the babbling stage. "Dadadadada". We've had his ears checked and they're fine. He understands speech fine ("Pick up the blue block, not the yellow block.") It's just the talking. He refuses to say even the most simple words.

Any suggestions? His grandmother is going on and on about how he's going to be learning impaired and in developmental classes if he doesn't start talking.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

King Ramses posted:

I have a one and a half year old that books have described as "spirited". Very outgoing. Loves new people. Smart enough to get into a lot of trouble. Where he has been ahead of the curve learning everything else, he's having problems with talking. We're still at the babbling stage. "Dadadadada". We've had his ears checked and they're fine. He understands speech fine ("Pick up the blue block, not the yellow block.") It's just the talking. He refuses to say even the most simple words.

Any suggestions? His grandmother is going on and on about how he's going to be learning impaired and in developmental classes if he doesn't start talking.

My friend has 2-year-old twins, and the younger has the same problem; she has maybe three words that she uses, and they're very, very simple (mama, cup, hi). Most states have an Early Childhood Intervention program that can provide free therapy/counseling for various developmental delays and disabilities until age 3, I'd check and see if your state has one. You're probably not in Texas, but http://texasprojectfirst.org/ECI.html is an overview of the kind of stuff they provide. Barring all else, your pediatrician can probably let you know if it's something that should be pushed to a speech therapist or counselor.

Cimber posted:

One thing that we do with my son is to designate one toy _his_ that no one else can play with. Everything else he has to share with his sister and cousins, but that one truck is his and his alone. He seems to be a bit better about that.

But at 2-4 they are naturally self centered, so its very hard. You just have to keep trying and be patient.

This is the one thing that's actually worked so far. He's got his "scout" (LeapPad, he loves the LeapFrog coloring book app) that's exclusively his, and nobody gets to touch it; even if one of the other kids gets a hold of it, if he decides he wants it, they have to give it back to him instead of him sharing. I hate to do that with too many things though. You're right, of course, 2-year-olds are naturally selfish. I guess it's just an ongoing process.

TheKennedys fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 12, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Amykinz posted:

There is varying levels of mercury in different types of seafood, and several different health organizations recommend reduced or eliminated portions for pregnant/nursing mothers and small children because of the health risks. So maybe it's better that she doesn't "come around" and instead follows what the doctor told her.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but please read the post as lead =/ mercury. We avoided high-mercury fish until our guy was 1, as recommended by most doctors, but the "All fish are bad because lead" thing is silly and not factually supported. For example, the NRDC has a page outlining fish mercury levels, but no mention of lead at all: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp. The only discussion of lead in fish is that those caught with lead sinkers may lead to lead poisoning, clearly not an issue for most store-bought stuff.

e: My comment was more of a throwaway joke anyways - if you look closely enough at anything we eat it will contain trace amounts of all sorts of "nasty" stuff which is entirely irrelevant at most concentrations in food.

King Ramses posted:

My younger sister didn't speak in an understandable way until she was two and a half. My parents still like to tell the joke about me interpreting for her as I was apparently the only one who could understand her. We have friends whose ~2.5 year old is just now getting the words our guy had when he was 1.5. Some kids just do it sooner or later than others, and I would say 1.5 isn't the time to stress it too much.

Something we tried to encourage speaking was to ask him simple yes/no questions, then mime the two possible answers with a head gesture while saying the word. He started by doing the gesture and then we progressed to not "hearing" him until he said the word. You could try doing the same thing with favourite toys as well - if you see him reaching for something, hold it up and repeat the name before handing it to him.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

King Ramses posted:

I would try and not worry too much, Connor was hardly saying anything at the same age (not even mum and dad) and for a month or two after. Then about twenty months his vocabulary exploded and he was saying loads of new words every day. I don't know if it's just an old wives tale that babies who walk early talk late and vice versa but it was true for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Amykinz posted:

Fish is an awesome source of lean protein and omega-3s. If one has concern about mercury content, they could check out the FDA recommendations here (the FDA actually recommends a diet containing fish as contributing to proper brain development): http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm351781.htm

I don't think the risks of consuming mercury found in some types of fish are great enough to warrant a blanket ban on all types.

New Weave Wendy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 12, 2014