Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

As usual, Acguy wins. I really want to know what was going through the composer's head when he made the GP-02 so drat lighthearted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Gundam Battle Assault in Japan, Battle Masters, had new original characters instead of the standard pilots for mobile suits, to go along with a weird post-apocalyptic story that's kind reminiscent of MS Saga's. For the most part, the new characters share very little or nothing with the original pilots for the suits. So the themes don't go with the mobile suits, but with those pilots.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gundam/gundam3.htm

If you have the Battle Assault 1 disc, you can just jam it into a computer or CD player and listen to these rad tunes whenever you want.

I do wish I knew what the impetus was the change all the pilots back, given that at the time none of those Gundam shows had aired or had any wide spread recognition. It makes sense they'd add in Heero and the Wing (which is just a clone of the Zeta in this game), but then there's Heero just getting into scrapes with dudes from random spots out of the Universal Century until he runs into Treize piloting the Psycho Mk III. I am pretty sure the best thing from Battle Assault 1 was the random text Heero had for all the mobile suits you could throw him in, with Acguy's just being "...Acguy!?"

Not Dave fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 7, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was gonna wait til like Episode 20 to report my thoughts but something happened to make me post this now.
I'll get to it in a sec. Gonna go in order of my mental notes.

1. This Kai character...is he gonna do anything important? 'cuz right now he just switches from "the jerk" to "member of the fighting team" and I don't see any point to any of it. I guess it makes him stand out compared to the other generic crew members who help pilot the various Gun units.

2. Do these kids serve any goddam purpose? They're precocious and pointless and it's annoying.

3. Sayla decides now to go out there and seek after Char? There has been a dozen plus episodes since she encountered her bro and almost all of them were fighting Zeon folks. Why didn't she think of going after any of them for info?

4. Ramba Ral and his men are awesome. They're like the only competent Zeon opponents I've seen. Well, those mooks who wanted to blow up Gundam with bombs were okay in theory but that whole 30 minute time limit thing makes me deduct all their points.

5. And so here's why I made this update now instead of waiting. "Amuro Deserts." Why? Perhaps he's disillusioned due to his father manipulating him to nearly murder a friend of his? No wait, that was actually kinda sensible. He's deserting because they won't let him pilot Gundam anymore. Also he's stealing the Gundam. I get the fact he has saved all their asses many times by now but come on dude.

Oh and a final note about the dub. Casting Richard Ian Cox as Kai was pretty smart. Anybody ever seen X-Men Evolution? He was Pietro/Quicksilver. Guy can do a jackass voice like it's nobody's business.

EDIT:

Okay maybe he's not deserting exactly but come on man. This is no time to try and prove your manhood. Matilda isn't even around.

Speaking of which, it's nice Amuro continues the fine anime tradition of being a complete moron when it comes to women. I'm not anything resembling a ladies' man at present and I certainly wasn't one when i was a teenager, but I wouldn't be asking a female friend of mine "what?' when she was upset after I got done drooling over another woman.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 7, 2014

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

2. Do these kids serve any goddam purpose? They're precocious and pointless and it's annoying.

They will, like twice I think, but for the most part they're there as comic relief. Katz, the taller one with dots for eyes, becomes a more important character in Z Gundam. Spoilers, he doesn't get any less annoying with age.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always thought it was because Zeon didn't have the official name of the White base, so they kept referring to it by a codename instead.

FYI, first mention of it is in episode 3. Turns out it was Gren just being an idiot and Char decided to stick with it episode 4 and onwards.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was gonna wait til like Episode 20 to report my thoughts but something happened to make me post this now.
I'll get to it in a sec. Gonna go in order of my mental notes.

1. This Kai character...is he gonna do anything important? 'cuz right now he just switches from "the jerk" to "member of the fighting team" and I don't see any point to any of it. I guess it makes him stand out compared to the other generic crew members who help pilot the various Gun units.

He does, though you have to get to a specific episode and zeta for that. Arguably my favourite character after Kamille and Char in UC.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

Along with comedy relief I think their primary purpose is to ground the civilian element of the crew and show. Tomino likes to use civilians dropped in to wars and keep reminding you that they are civilians and not soldiers, both by including a wide variety of ages for these characters so that you can't forget some of them clearly aren't soldiers and by having them do mundane things like showering, eating and what have you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fraw Bow is like Amuro's sister and is kind of like a parody of childhood friend girlfriends in that way. Amuro has no loving romantic interest in her at all. Also Amuro is the biggest shut-in dork that ever existed

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Amuro Ray is the world's biggest goon and it honestly kind of scary just how much I looked like and acted like him at age 15. I was a little shithead nerd. Tomino knows his target audience, I guess.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If he did gundam probably wouldn't have taken off the way it did. Kikka, Katz and Letz aren't there just for comic relief they're there for the real target demographic of first gundam to identify with. A big part of the reason it got cancelled was that it completely missed the toy buying grade school audience it was aiming for; coincidentally hitting dorky high school kids in a big way.

Though another piece of that was the Clover toys were poo poo and no one wanted them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think Kikka, Katz and Letz are bit too young for the target audience. I imagine even a good chunk of them would find them superfluous and pointless given how irrelevant they are along with their age and behavior. If he was doing it solely for the target audience, wouldn't they have been around 8 to 10 or so, not 3 or 4?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kikka was four, Letz was six and Katz was eight.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So, three episodes into Gundam X (yes I'm slow), and some thoughts.

I'm not sure I like Garrod as a main character so far, mostly because he approaches things ("Let's do thing X and worry about the consequences later"). On the other hand, I like how inventive and resourceful he is (see: taking down a mobile suit with a flashbang and a grappling hook in the first episode, and by the way he sneaks around the vultures' ship he's basically teenage Solid Snake).

(Was I supposed to laugh at the "If this works I'll believe in God!" *click* "Tiffa! I believe in God!" bit? Because I did.)

I loved the callback in episode three that Jamil, to get Garrod out of the Gundam X, used the exact same tactic Garrod himself used in the first episode.

Jamil is obviously a Newtype, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Also, by the way he reacted to seeing the GX, he's likely a former Federation soldier (also seeing that he had the Gundam X activation unit in his safe), and he's seem some poo poo.

I think the Frost Brothers are Newtypes by the way they act (and by the fact they seem to be psychically connected or something like that), but I'm not sure.

Tiffa is so broken :smith: those guys in the research facility must have done something horrible to her. On the other hand, because of her brokenness, we got the hilarious scene where she's used by Garrod as a hostage held in the GX's hand, and her expression doesn't deviate one bit from :geno:

I like how they described in a show-not-tell way a post-apocalyptic world where everybody is trying their best to survive, i.e.: every mobile suit pilot in the area dogpiling the GX hoping to get a piece of it, and said pilots fighting over the pieces of each other's suits, basically fighting over scraps. Also holy poo poo that pilot lady getting fuckin' MURDERED by a punch to the cockpit, that was brutal :stare:

One complaint I have is that how, in the world I described above, no one aboard the vulture ship thinks that hey, you know, maybe it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on the new guy that just came in last night, just in case he turns out to be up to something bad.

Also, judging by the intro to the first episode and how several people identify the Gundam X as a GX-9900 unit, it's obvious that the unit it's not the Gundam X, it's a Gundam X, in contrast with several other Gundam series where the title unit is one-of-a-kind. I wonder if this will come into play later on, maybe in the form of a GX vs GX mirror fight? That'd be cool.

So far I'm liking it, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 8, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Enjoy the ride man. X has some faults, but all in all it's pretty nice.

So despite early goofiness, I'm thinking ZZ might be my favorite of the MSG, Z, ZZ trilogy. Judau just works for me as a protagonist, and I kinda dig some of the coming of age vibes it has. I'm still working my way through, but it's good stuff.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Guyver posted:

If he did gundam probably wouldn't have taken off the way it did. Kikka, Katz and Letz aren't there just for comic relief they're there for the real target demographic of first gundam to identify with.

Uuhh I dunno man I don't think a show with a 16 year old protagonist going through future World War II in space had the same target demographic in the 70s as doraemon and maya the bee.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It was a robot cartoon.

Robot cartoons are obviously for little kids.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guyver posted:

Kikka was four, Letz was six and Katz was eight.

Ah, my mistake. Still, you'd think they'd have done more if they were supposed to be an audience surrogate of some kind.

Dr Pepper posted:

It was a robot cartoon.

Robot cartoons are obviously for little kids.

Isn't one of the big deals about Gundam that Tomino took what the production company and toy sponsors were aiming to make a kids show and made it more than that despite them? Or at least unbeknownst to them? That he thought kids should learn about war, death and such earlier in life rather than sheltering them from it?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

tsob posted:

Isn't one of the big deals about Gundam that Tomino took what the production company and toy sponsors were aiming to make a kids show and made it more than that despite them? Or at least unbeknownst to them? That he thought kids should learn about war, death and such earlier in life rather than sheltering them from it?

Tomino and the Sunrise crew started out with Freedom Fighter Gunboy and the target was always shonen.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I noticed something on rewatching CCA today: why does the Ra Cailum have car tires attached to the side of it, like some sort of giant mobile suit carrying tugboat?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Those are actually cannons. You get a much better look at them in Unicorn.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I noticed something on rewatching CCA today: why does the Ra Cailum have car tires attached to the side of it, like some sort of giant mobile suit carrying tugboat?

Cushion the impact of Mobile Suits making fast landings.

And yeah I'd just say the sponsors expected Gundam to be aimed at the toy-buying demographic. It turned out they just put it in the wrong timeslot! whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgH5fL621k&t=83s Good job dumbass jegan pilots try actually landing next time?? my tires are all hosed up

muike fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 8, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naw man there are a bunch of tires on the part of the hull that the mobile suits fly past when launching. 1:20 in the video linked above.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ra Cailum: doing its part to Save The Whales

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Midjack posted:

Naw man there are a bunch of tires on the part of the hull that the mobile suits fly past when launching. 1:20 in the video linked above.

It's probably just an easter egg like the beer bottle missiles in Macross or something.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

mr. stefan posted:

It's probably just an easter egg like the beer bottle missiles in Macross or something.

Always thought that was a nice touch.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Have folks not ever seen a dock?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

Have folks not ever seen a dock?

It took ages before video games figured out that you need pallets under crates to actually move them. Blue collar practicality is lost on the average nerd.

A shame you don't get to see more down-to-earth military improvisation in Gundam. It's all high-flying psychic space ninja robot antics and whatnot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Am I stupid for not knowing aout this Operation British? I'm getting bitched at elsewhere for saying Zeon doesn't ssem so bad wher I'm at and everyone saying "this happened pre-series and was mentioned early on." If it was mentioned, it must have been like one random line of dialog and it was certainly not followed up with an explanation. And as for it being pre-series....how can it be before the first thing in the franchise? I'm really lost.

The closest thing I can think of is the opening narration at the start of the anime and it says both nations lost over half their populations in less than a month. it did not single out Zeon or anything. I just figured they were both equally horrible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's not exactly explained well, but Operation British is the very first thing you see in the series. Remember the opening narration, where you see Zeon forces dropping a Colony on Earth? Yeah, that wasn't just artistic license.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

NikkolasKing posted:

The closest thing I can think of is the opening narration at the start of the anime and it says both nations lost over half their populations in less than a month. it did not single out Zeon or anything. I just figured they were both equally horrible.

Quick rundown of the relevant timeline up until the beginning of MSG, at least AFAIR:

1) Zeon declares war on the Earth Federation
2) 3 seconds after this declaration they launch simultaneous assaults on Sides 1, 2, and 4. Poison gas is used in those coloonies.
3) Side 2 is used by Zeon as a missile in an attempt to ram Jaburo (EF military headquarters) on earth.
4) It misses, hits Sydney Australia and gouges a huge chunk out of the subcontinent.
5) Zeon tries again after jaking Side 5 this time and this time the EF approves the use of nuclear weapons in order to prevent another colony crashing into earth. Zeon shrugs and starts using nuclear weapons as well.
6) 1/3 of all humanity is now dead (more people than currently exist on earth IRL) EF is seriously contemplating surrender at this point. General Revil escapes from Zeon custody and spurs them to fight on with his 'Zeon is exhausted' speech.
7) Antarctic Treaty is signed, forbidding the further use of nuclear weapons.
8) Zeon breaks out the Mobile Suits en masse. EF has nothing that can stand up to them... until the RX-78-2 gets developed.

So yeah. Zeon. Swell guys.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 8, 2014

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Operation British was kind of a big deal, it left a gaping hole in Australia and caused untold devastation across the entire Pacific Rim.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

And as for it being pre-series....how can it be before the first thing in the franchise? I'm really lost.

The first Gundam series starts in the middle of the war. It's not like the Federation and Zeon sitting around twiddling their thumbs until Amuro shows up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It took ages before video games figured out that you need pallets under crates to actually move them. Blue collar practicality is lost on the average nerd.

A shame you don't get to see more down-to-earth military improvisation in Gundam. It's all high-flying psychic space ninja robot antics and whatnot.

Blue collar practicality was apparently lost on the Federation ship designers as well to say they had to ghetto up some tyres and strap them to the side of their ships to help prevent damage during fast landings - something that was presumably happening with about 20 years at that point. Although it would have only been about 9 years at the time of the Nahel Argama's construction. Still though, you'd think they'd be aware enough of it by now to build in something to the ship itself for helping with that kind of poo poo, even if it was only just putting a wall of actual rubber around the catapult's entrance.

Then again, I'm sure I've seen them use netting to stop the forward momentum of some units in the franchise. Might have just been in AUs though, since I honestly can't recall where I saw it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know that the SEED series had some kind of net once and I swear I saw an emergency landing with nets in one of the UC series.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Pretty sure that's how they recovered the GP01 after it got mauled.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Or it could just be that since CCA was a movie instead of a TV series, they had the time, energy, and budget to animate things like giant robots crash-landing into tires.

Edit: And good on them for it.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 8, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CMD598 posted:

Operation British was kind of a big deal, it left a gaping hole in Australia and caused untold devastation across the entire Pacific Rim.

On the plus side it apparently made Australia greener than it used to be??

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Zorak posted:

On the plus side it apparently made Australia greener than it used to be??

Kudzu's a bitch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They dropped a colony on Australia. No-one noticed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Am I stupid for not knowing aout this Operation British? I'm getting bitched at elsewhere for saying Zeon doesn't ssem so bad wher I'm at and everyone saying "this happened pre-series and was mentioned early on." If it was mentioned, it must have been like one random line of dialog and it was certainly not followed up with an explanation. And as for it being pre-series....how can it be before the first thing in the franchise? I'm really lost.

Kinda covered by other posters, but the big thing to remember about Zeon is that they are run by Giren, a guy who is basically space Hitler. And by basically, I mean his own father comments that he is pretty much just Adolf Hitler reborn, something Giren takes as a compliment.

Your typical Zeon soldier isn't necessarily bad, just like the federation aren't exactly the good guys in a lot of things. That said, the zeon leadership really is 70's cartoon evil.

Edit: One more example of Zeon insanity is that Giren was threatening to drop Luna II, a massive, world ending asteroid, on earth if they did not surrender. Fortunately they never got the chance, but it gives you an example of the lengths Zeon was willing to go to defeat the federation.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pureauthor posted:

Quick rundown of the relevant timeline up until the beginning of MSG, at least AFAIR:

1) Zeon declares war on the Earth Federation
2) 3 seconds after this declaration they launch simultaneous assaults on Sides 1, 2, and 4. Poison gas is used in those coloonies.
3) Side 2 is used by Zeon as a missile in an attempt to ram Jaburo (EF military headquarters) on earth.
4) It misses, hits Sydney Australia and gouges a huge chunk out of the subcontinent.
5) Zeon tries again after jaking Side 5 this time and this time the EF approves the use of nuclear weapons in order to prevent another colony crashing into earth. Zeon shrugs and starts using nuclear weapons as well.
6) 1/3 of all humanity is now dead (more people than currently exist on earth IRL) EF is seriously contemplating surrender at this point. General Revil escapes from Zeon custody and spurs them to fight on with his 'Zeon is exhausted' speech.
7) Antarctic Treaty is signed, forbidding the further use of nuclear weapons.
8) Zeon breaks out the Mobile Suits en masse. EF has nothing that can stand up to them... until the RX-78-2 gets developed.

So yeah. Zeon. Swell guys.

Well, a bit of a clarification. The Sides are large groups of colonies, as opposed to individual colonies.

• Locked thread