Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
We need another Bomber from the Isles to go with Brad's fine Manchester patois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Quick Look: Bravely Default
VIDEO ON FEB 08, 2014 09:00 AM

:getin:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Equilibrium posted:

Put Danny on the Bombcast.

I think Brad would be a lot more comfortable with another European on the bombcast too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

randombattle posted:

I think Brad would be a lot more comfortable with another European on the bombcast too.

You obviously don't know the history between Brad's oppressive, monstrous people and Danny's.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

TheJoker138 posted:

You obviously don't know the history between Brad's oppressive, monstrous people and Danny's.

We never did anything to the Irish.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Every time he lies, he get's another face.

Also, puppy chat should be every week.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Rorie should play games on UPF. Danny did and he doesn't even work there.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Bravely Default QL is live.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Oh man, the beginning of the Bravely Default QL makes it an early contender for QL of the year.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Overbite posted:

Rorie should play games on UPF. Danny did and he doesn't even work there.

Bit whop will read and tell us about all that fantastic GB chat commentary?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The magic of video games.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Please don't allow computer girls to enter your genitals. The extraction process is expensive.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That's cool and everything but next to the insanity that was the infinite loop in the PS4(?) Launch Stream it's NOTHING.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strange Quark posted:

The magic of video games.

That's pretty good.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Timett posted:

That's cool and everything but next to the insanity that was the infinite loop in the PS4(?) Launch Stream it's NOTHING.

Xbone launch.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Bravely Default is a lot of fun you guys.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Bravely Default is a lot of fun you guys.

It is, but all the online integration/streetpass stuff is so annoying. I'm never going to get any streetpasses where I live, and keeping Wifi on constantly just drains the battery on a machine that already doesn't have a huge lifespan. I kind of wish all that poo poo would just go away.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Hakkesshu posted:

It is, but all the online integration/streetpass stuff is so annoying. I'm never going to get any streetpasses where I live, and keeping Wifi on constantly just drains the battery on a machine that already doesn't have a huge lifespan. I kind of wish all that poo poo would just go away.

You dont need to streetpass to get more villagers, there's a system in place for people like you.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Oh, Brad. Ignores a quest marker, talks to someone completely different, jumps to an incorrect conclusion based on something some dude said instead of what he can see with his own eyes.

(The way Bravely Default handles quest markers is pretty poo poo. The way Bravely Default handles a lot of things is pretty poo poo.)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"She's going into the Quick Look!"

Oh Vinny. :allears:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Timett posted:

I forgot about that. Now that was bloody amazing. I've never laughed so hard at something so silly.

e: JRPGs just bore me now on just about every level. I just can't stand the art design anymore, it looks so loving dumb to me, that and most of the dialogue could send anyone to sleep.

Don't get me wrong I have no trouble with others enjoying them it's just they look so poo poo compared to what we are doing nowadays. They all look like they're stuck in the past, come on Japan you love technology now do something interesting!

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Holy Cheese posted:

Don't get me wrong I have no trouble with others enjoying them it's just they look so poo poo compared to what we are doing nowadays.

Yes, I'd much rather play the high artistry of Dragon Age 2 than something as dull and insipid as Bravely Default or Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

Every time Patrick and Brad praise FF8 and poo poo on FF9 I am left mystified. I remember Patrick dismissing FF9 as being for nostalgic crazy people, which is bizarre to me since I played it for the first time in fall 2012 and it's still my favorite.

e: watching QL, does Brad ever figure out you can turn random battles off?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Well FF8 had Triple Triad and FF9 did not so that would probably explain it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Yes, I'd much rather play the high artistry of Dragon Age 2 than something as dull and insipid as Bravely Default or Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

That's interesting, I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about DA2 until now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's interesting, I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about DA2 until now.

Perhaps the sarcasm doesn't come across well in text.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Rodyle posted:

Yes, I'd much rather play the high artistry of Dragon Age 2 than something as dull and insipid as Bravely Default
He coould've meant the art design of the opening "Only you can saaaave meeeee!" VR insanity segment. Like they said there's about 3 art styles going on in the game.

The munchkin character art of the battle screen is one of the cooler I've seen recently. And the maps look great. Definite throwback to tactics, and infinitely better than the rococo bishounen mess the FF series has turned into.

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2014

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Also I usually avoid Brad QL's but the game was so dense I couldn't tell what he was doing wrong.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

t3h z0r posted:

Also I usually avoid Brad QL's but the game was so dense I couldn't tell what he was doing wrong.

The only way he misrepresented the game is by saying that you have to constantly recast Examine if you want to check enemy stats. You can slide the circle pad left and right to examine enemies and allies at any time, in greater detail. The game gives you a tutorial quest to do this, though Brad may not have done it yet. It also shows up on the Help menu (which has a tutorial quest for it as well.)

It's a really obtuse game with a lot of extraneous systems that aren't really necessary or even beneficial to the playing experience. It's not a Final Fantasy, so they felt free to throw the entire kitchen sink of game ideas in there.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

t3h z0r posted:

The only thing he did "wrong" (and he also pointed it out) was that he was spamming Brave on his melee characters. He needed to balance the two more than he did.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
The puppy chat thumbnails are seriously cracking me up every time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rodyle posted:

e: watching QL, does Brad ever figure out you can turn random battles off?

Yeah, he uses it near the end of the QL when they are trying to rush to get to a boss. I might pick up Bravely Default, the brave/default system actually seems like it adds something interesting to the mix. And RPGs with job systems are cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

t3h z0r posted:

He coould've meant the art design of the opening "Only you can saaaave meeeee!" VR insanity segment. Like they said there's about 3 art styles going on in the game.

The munchkin character art of the battle screen is one of the cooler I've seen recently. And the maps look great. Definite throwback to tactics, and infinitely better than the rococo bishounen mess the FF series has turned into.

Yea I love Bravely Default but the art style has a little meshing problem and the opening AR part was just insane.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Depths posted:

You dont need to streetpass to get more villagers, there's a system in place for people like you.

Ah, okay, thanks. I've been playing the demo, and none of that stuff is in there.

How easy is it to break the game, anyway? Leveling seems super fast, and if you find the right combination of skills and jobs it'd seem like you could trivialize a lot of the encounters.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bravely Default looks interesting, but the last JRPG I picked up on the 3DS was pretty frustrating. Does Bravely Default have the same horrible pacing and need to grind heavily as Shin Tensei Megami 4?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Chainclaw posted:

Bravely Default looks interesting, but the last JRPG I picked up on the 3DS was pretty frustrating. Does Bravely Default have the same horrible pacing and need to grind heavily as Shin Tensei Megami 4?

The SMT series is pretty obtuse at first glance, Bravely Default seems much more straightforward. Only a few hours in though.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I haven't played the game in about a month but I don't remember having to do any grinding in what I played, I thought most of the battles were really easy and boring though so I quickly reached a point where I had to put the game down out of boredom.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chainclaw posted:

It's grindy but the ability to turn random encounters up to double and then down to zero really makes it faster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That sure was some acting in the Bravely Default AR bit.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Bravely Default looks pretty neat.

I need AR cards of anime girls for reasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Perhaps if Japanese men grew up we could have something different in a JRPG for once. :colbert:

• Locked thread