Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shrughes posted:

You can't get a MacBook Air with 16GB of memory.

A MacBook Air would be not what you want.

I think you might like a Lenovo Y510p. You should use the Barnes & Noble Gold link in the OP if you get it.

Then an 8gb. With his discount its a steal. Cost aside the Air is the gold standard of laptop design. With his huge discount its an easy choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

With his huge discount its an easy choice.

Not if you want to play Guild Wars 2.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shrughes posted:

Not if you want to play Guild Wars 2.

Even with windows installed on it? I'm not sure of the specs for it but if he can play it on his wife's two year old iMac wouldn't the Air be able to play it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Even with windows installed on it? I'm not sure of the specs for it but if he can play it on his wife's two year old iMac wouldn't the Air be able to play it?

A two year old iMac is going to have a 6750M or higher

Anyway the Air isn't really capable of doing any gaming - it gets way too hot for comfort if you tax both the CPU and graphics.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

dissss posted:

A two year old iMac is going to have a 6750M or higher

Anyway the Air isn't really capable of doing any gaming - it gets way too hot for comfort if you tax both the CPU and graphics.

Ah. Well what about the Pro then? With his 25% discounts going to bring the price to near Window laptop levels.

EDIT: Wait, you can't get a Mac Pro with discreet graphics unless you go up to the $2599 15"? That's BS. Forget that noise.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 7, 2014

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kjermzs posted:

I am in need of assistance...

The N56JR just came out. It looks pretty good according to the notebookcheck review. Ignore what they quote for the price though. It's about a thousand dollars.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

snoozeallday posted:

And now with the t440 it's almost all metal?

Nope, it's exactly the same plastic frame over a magnesium skeleton. They just changed the coating a little bit.

hotsauce posted:

Returned my X240 today. The trackpad is an abomination. I tried really hard to like it. But gave up.

Also, the keyboard, as you said, is mushy. I also found it way too quiet and dampened and it just felt strange to type on vs. other Thinkpads.

These may sound like fickle reasons, but if you've used Thinkpads for 14+ years like myself, it's hard to adapt.

Not sure what I'm going to buy now.

This has been a serious stymieing point for me as well :(

I'm moderately interested in getting something a tad smaller than my current W520, ideally 14-15", 1080 IPS screen at a minimum, and with ~gt750m (or quadro k1100m equivalent) level graphics power. Now, that part is certainly possible, but gently caress me if I want to give up the W520's keyboard and trackpoint. No, I don't want god damned offset keyboard/touchpads thanks to a number pad, I'm not doing data entry on my damned laptop keyboard. The W520 was just the completely ideal layout, key feel, button comfort from the trackpoint buttons, etc. I just don't like using touchpads, including apple pads. It's not even that the touchpad on the W520 was bad, once you totally turned off all the palm check and smart sensing other crap + installed TPtwofingerscroll. (Seriously just disabling all the "smart" features on the pad turn it from a huge pile of unusable garbage in to a great touchpad. It's just that touchpads suck compared to the trackpoint). Dell's trackpoint analogue isn't nearly as good as Lenovo's, either, going by my work Latitude. Never tried HP's, but their laptops are all generally far too overpriced and under-configurable anyhow, so meh.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

I don't think the 13" Air is worthwhile any more now that the 13" Retina Pro is available and not a huge amount more expensive

While the Pro is way more powerful, the Air is way more portable and comfortable for couch surfing. It's really the perfect laptop to use on your lap.

And the base Air (4gig, 128 ssd) is the best laptop at or under it's price of $1100. After trying virtually every windows ultrabook out at the momennt I'm leaning heavily towards the base air or waiting a few months for a refresh. If not I'll grab a refurb for $929.00. If the Air had a HD screen it would be no contest vs similarly priced Windows units. As it stands that's usually the only advantage a windows ultrabook has over the air, as far as I can tell.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
is the Air with 4gb usable or is it better to splurge for the 8gb?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dude, weren't you the one recommending the Air?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I use my roommates 4gb a lot. It is hella slick, fast, responsive and I've never had any tabs in Safari have to refresh for lack of memory. All either of us does on it is watch youtubes or read forums, just general internet stuff. 8 would be great to "future proof" or if you have to run intense programs, but the 4 is all I will need for several years. Naturally 8 gigs won't hurt (except the wallet) and it would be super great to have the option to upgrade myself like some other machines, but overall the 4 gig is awesome and the best laptop I've played with so far (except the Pro which wins for it's awesome screen).

Hell, even the chromebook (forgot which one) I tried out a coupled days ago (2gig ram) was able to play 4 youtubes simultaneously with NO stutter or lag. All four (unique) videos were playing smoothly and even quickly switching between tabs didn't affect it at all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

voltron posted:

Dude, weren't you the one recommending the Air?

Yes, but since he wants to game, and apparently the video card on the Air is totally insufficient for it. For couch browsing, I'm curious if you need to step up to the 8gb model.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

tesilential posted:

While the Pro is way more powerful, the Air is way more portable and comfortable for couch surfing. It's really the perfect laptop to use on your lap.

I don't know what you are talking about. The machines are very similar in weight and performance, except for GPU performance.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
edit^^^:

shrughes posted:

This post is just wrong. The machines are very similar in weight and performance, except for GPU performance.

Go hold them one after another. The Air feels way lighter and thinner in the hand. While technically it's not MUCH lighter it definitely feels MUCH lighter. Now I'm definitely not saying the Pro is a big hambeast, it's going to be much sleeker of a machine than Y410P or something. But for example there are several 13.3" windows ultrabooks that are lighter/thinner than the Pro but I haven't noticed one that is lighter/thinner than the Air. This is a petty argument though, seriously for anyone who wants to find out go to an Apple store or Best Buy and see for yourself. It's pretty obvious. It's not that the Pro is "too" heavy it's just obviously heavier.
edit #10 or so: I take back saying the Pro is "way" more powerful though as I have not used one for anything intensive or looked at benchmarks comparing the two.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes, but since he wants to game, and apparently the video card on the Air is totally insufficient for it. For couch browsing, I'm curious if you need to step up to the 8gb model.

Yes it is great.

poo poo if you have a desktop already I would just get a chromebook as those are super quick and nice for browsing.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 7, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

tesilential posted:

edit^^^:

Go hold them one after another. The Air feels way lighter and thinner in the hand. While technically it's not MUCH lighter it definitely feels MUCH lighter. Now I'm definitely not saying the Pro is a big hambeast, it's going to be much sleeker of a machine than Y410P or something. But for example there are several 13.3" windows ultrabooks that are lighter/thinner than the Pro but I haven't noticed one that is lighter/thinner than the Air. This is a petty argument though, seriously for anyone who wants to find out go to an Apple store or Best Buy and see for yourself. It's pretty obvious. It's not that the Pro is "too" heavy it's just obviously heavier.
edit #10 or so: I take back saying the Pro is "way" more powerful though as I have not used one for anything intensive or looked at benchmarks comparing the two.

Yes it is great.

poo poo if you have a desktop already I would just get a chromebook as those are super quick and nice for browsing.

No desktop. I have a hambeast Dell from work I hate, so our only home computer is a 2010 Macbook that is showing it's age. I just got an offer from CL for $380 for it, I'm going to take it and use the cash to purchase a new Air for her. If I can stick with the 4gb to same some cash, I'd prefer to do that. She does nothing with it except iTunes, iPhoto, and Videos, so the cheaper the better.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wonder if the slot limitation of 8gb is simply because there are no 16GB modules out yet, and once they are eventually released if they will work.

We're about 2 years behind on getting 16GB modules

Everything I've read says nobody will make 16GB DDR3 (Ivy Bridge, Haswell, etc), they're waiting for...

Broadwell which is supposed to support 16GB SODIMMs with DDR4 whenever it's released (end of 2014?)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the display handled differently on the Yoga/ yoga 2 in tablet mode and in laptop mode? I could swear that it's a little blurrier in tablet mode but that might just be because I'm holding it closer to my face (running 1920x1080 if it matters).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

shrughes posted:

No games or programs have touchscreen capability. Of course that sentence is not actually true, but Windows 8 is a desktop OS and games target desktop OS behavior.

Civ5 has a touchscreen mode, and it works pretty great actually. Playing Civ5 on an XPS12 in tablet mode on the couch kicks rear end.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also Hearthstone, Minecraft has a touchscreen mode, etc etc.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I got to see a brand new 13" MBP in person yesterday, as someone's personal laptop. While the Air is aggressively thin, the MBP is truly a miniature version of its 15" sibling. It really has a tiny feel and look to it, and the aesthetics are just as appealing as with the larger model. That said, 90% of the market would be satisfied with a MBA. If you need the power and like the OS, go for the 15". But if you need power and really sleek portability, then the 13" is a no-brainer.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The extra power in the 13" pro over the air can be nice in some situations. I have the 8 gb/256 gb late 2013 rMBP, and use it to perform mathematica-based slideshows with interactive graphics on a promethean board. It gets moved around a lot, so the portability over the 15" is nice. The pro has a full-sized hdmi port, which is useful too. Not to mention it is tough to complain about the nicer screen.

It is just a nice-looking machine with a solid feel too. I don't have any complaints.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I just posted this in the Mac thread, but it seems like it'd be useful here, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFU3QACskxE
A pretty nice comparison of the 13 rMBP vs the Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a comparison of the screen of my X220 with my MacBook Air, as well as some $110 Acer monitor from Best Buy (it's pretty mediocre)

I'm just posting this to show people how washed out the old Lenovo screens were. It renders the orange/poo poo brown background of HN as loving gray. Look at what color the apple turns when you raise the viewing angle! The whole screen washes out to this blue/gray disaster.

Keep in mind that the MacBook Air screen is pretty average, it's not like it has anywhere near the color accuracy or viewing angles of the Retina.

The Lenovo T430 has a screen that's at least as bad, if not worse.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

shrughes posted:

I think you might like a Lenovo Y510p. You should use the Barnes & Noble Gold link in the OP if you get it.

I am liking what I am seeing in this laptop so far. I have read the notebookcheck.com review on it. currently there is a "valentines" special that ends on Feb 12 that discounts $400-520 among the different models. Will these discounts really expire at that date or will it just be replaced with something similar?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Kjermzs posted:

I am liking what I am seeing in this laptop so far. I have read the notebookcheck.com review on it. currently there is a "valentines" special that ends on Feb 12 that discounts $400-520 among the different models. Will these discounts really expire at that date or will it just be replaced with something similar?

They'll be replaced with something similar. The price could hop up or down. Also, I have no idea how long it would take to actually ship out. Sometimes people report months, sometimes days...

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For people with an X240 or T440s in this thread: What percentage of CPU does the Lenovo or Synaptics trackpad software use when you use the trackpad?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If I could get a Macbook with a built-in Windows/Linux-style keyboard, that'd be my perfect laptop

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

QuarkJets posted:

If I could get a Macbook with a built-in Windows/Linux-style keyboard, that'd be my perfect laptop

If I could get a macbook that could run windows and maintain all features and battery life, that'd be my perfect laptop.

I have to admit, the 13" MBPr is the best deal out right now.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I got drunk and pulled the trigger on a W540 last night. Assuming I don't brick it when I install Linux, I'll post all sorts of information about it when I get it.

I went for the IPS screen because I'm a sucker for more pixels.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I got drunk and pulled the trigger on a W540 last night.
Are you prepared for the sobering reality that is the offset keyboard? All I've read are constant complaints about it because your wrists get sore from the KB and trackpad being offset.

The 3k screen option is yummy indeed, but the keyboard + num pad is an abomination.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks like Sony is selling off their VAIO PC business, including laptops. Here is the press release.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201402/14-019E/

Manufacturing and sales is halting spring 2014. Support is said to plan to continue, but who knows exactly to what extent.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I have a decision to make, between two Dells. One is an open box item at best buy, with a 4th generation i5 (haswell right?) with intel HD 4400.

The other is a 3rd gen i7 with a geforce GT 650M (not open box, just available online).

They're both about the same price, is the open box one going to perform a bit better for light/medium gaming (mmo's, some steam games, nothing crazy) or should I go with the other one?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Are you prepared for the sobering reality that is the offset keyboard? All I've read are constant complaints about it because your wrists get sore from the KB and trackpad being offset.

The 3k screen option is yummy indeed, but the keyboard + num pad is an abomination.

There aren't a ton of reviews out there yet, so when I started reading about the trackpad/keyboard placement I wasn't terribly happy as I'd already ordered on the merits of the specs alone. On the other hand, my current daily beater is a Lenovo IdeaPad G550, ordered in August of 2009, which also has the built in keypad. I just hope the smaller keys don't fill with cat hair and cause misstrokes:

Lenovo G550:

Lenovo W540:

As I just placed the order (and its the weekend), can I request an alternate keyboard setup, like a Dvorak keyboard? Or even just swapping the function keys with the action keys on the top row, as I use the function keys regularly in my work?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm thinking about picking up a C720 chromebook since I don't have a laptop right now and I'd like to have one for general browsing/emails on the go. Is now an alright time to buy or is there an update planned?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
After months of deliberating between windows ultrabooks, windows desktop + chromebook or MacBook, I'm finally pulling the trigger tonight on a refurbished 13" MacPro with Haswell, hd5100, and retina display. The MacBook Air with retina is really my perfect laptop, and I just KNOW it will come out in 6 months, but I can't wait until they do a refresh and even when it comes out the current rMBP will likely still be the more capable machine.

I'm literally going with the Pro over Air just for the Retina display, and I'm OK with that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

hotsauce posted:

How on earth would it make your wrists sore?

I do find notebooks with numpads a bit awkward to use but this is because you need to angle your neck a little bit - your wrist positioning isn't actually any different.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The argument is that you have your wrists aren't in line with the center of the screen, but your body is, so you end up with sore wrists. I use the G550 pictured above without issue, but I can see how going from included numpad to included numpad is different than going from extra-wide keyboard to included numpad.

That said, I'm still looking for information on a Dvorak keyboard or swapped function keys, and so far all keyboard Q&A's are centered around the above issue.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Function keys can act like function keys with a bios choice, similar to the swapped FN/Control key. There's pretty much no way you get a dvorak keyboard on a laptop though. You could get EU layouts or something, but that's not really going to be helpful.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Welp, screen or connector is borked on my son's Y410p. Guess we'll see how good(bad) Lenovo's depot service is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I am getting really fed up with my y410p. This is the second one I've had, after a loving MONTH of bullshit getting a replacement for the first one that came with a bad HDD. Basically, it won't do what it should be able to: play games. I can get it to run XCOM at lowest settings and it howls like a hurricane the whole time. It won't even load Alan Wake, Endless Space, the first Metro 2033, or Hawken AT ALL. The hardware should be able to handle those enough to at least get into the game but it just... doesn't.

Am I missing something? Do I have another busted laptop? At this point I'm seriously considering getting my money back and trying to find something else but this unit came goon-recommended so I'm actually sincerely hoping that it's a PEBCAK situation and not something intrinsic to this computer. Help?

e: lol these things are just poo poo aren't they