Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Dehtraen posted:

Best part is how he has periodically stroked the stuffed animals head.

I want a sound clip of Osyp's "WHAT?!" to hearing Todd say that Thoughtseize was a skill intensive card.
Osyp Lebedowicz ‏@OsypL 16m Me and @strong_sad in the booth at #SCGNASH in a couple of minutes! "Is there a bleep button?"

Has SCG found a new commentator dream team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

I could never get calling Garruk "Gary" to catch on, and now every is calling this dang common Gary. :mad:

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel
I'll always have a soft spot for Heartless Summoning, because it was the first deck I actually started winning more matches than I lost with, and it's fun as hell to play. The Heartless Summoning + Havengul Lich + Perilous Myr combo remains my favorite win condition ever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

I could never get calling Garruk "Gary" to catch on, and now every is calling this dang common Gary. :mad:

Ever since I started playing Genesis Wave, I've been calling him Gary. And Gray Merchant will never be anything but "Oh, him. Real original."

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ugh Alex Bertoncini looks like he's going to top 8 another SCG Open since coming back.

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Tenth Edition: Please Ban 2explores

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Korak posted:

Does anyone know how the SCG match Kent Ketter (G/R Monsters) vs Skyler Canada (Bant Walkers) went? Any interesting plays? Who won? Also how coked out were those parents to name those kids. :lol:

G/R won first match when Skyler missed a few land drops and Ketter got domri + xenagos planeswalker out.

Ketter lost 2nd game to kiora's ult and won the third with a hasty stormbreath. No showing from Xenagod sadly

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
How is this guy 8-(2) with this Gb deck? He must have ran smoking hot.

edit: Wow UW Control mirror where post sideboard one guy has boarded into what is an active Ephara with 2 frostburn weirds and of course 2 detention spheres on the board.

Korak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 9, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Man, the broadcast teams without Cedric are just unwatchable. Also, how was the Reuben-replacement been?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Man, the broadcast teams without Cedric are just unwatchable. Also, how was the Reuben-replacement been?
Really nervous and doesn't know how to talk naturally.

UW Control match was crazy. Non-Ephara guy is on 4 cards in his deck, for some reason not running 1 elixir. Ultimates his Jace right after ultimating his Elspeth. He goes to grab his opponent's deck and finds an Ephara. Goes on beat down for the win.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My pet card is Laboratory Maniac, I have so many ways to win with him. Breakfast Burrito, Fluctuator, Seance, and Cephalid Breakfast are just a few of the better ones.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

General MtG patent posted:

As shown in FIG. 1G, the island card 40 has the name 24 "island," and the text 16 in the text box 30 indicates the card provides one blue mana or energy for the player to utilize with spell cards. The symbol of the "T" tipping on its side in the text 16 is the tap symbol 38 indicating the card must be "tapped" when the mana from the card is used in play. "Tapping" is an act of flagging the card to indicate to all players that the energy provided by the card is being used and is no longer available. This can be accomplished in various ways, including placing an object on the card, turning the card over or, more preferably, rotating the card counterclockwise approximately 90 degrees on the playing surface from an original orientation or position. Similarly, "untapping" means rotating the card 90 degrees in a clockwise direction to the original orientation or removing the flag symbol.

I wonder what would happen if I started flipping lands over or adding counters to indicate their tap status, then when someone brings a judge over, show them the patent.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wonder what would happen if I started flipping lands over or adding counters to indicate their tap status, then when someone brings a judge over, show them the patent.

Old guys at your FLGS are probably still doing this, FYI. Also complaining that you can use tap abilities on blockers and have them still deal combat damage.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I played when you could assign combat damage, then sac/bounce/whatever your blocker. Wasn't that changed with the whole "streamlining" of the game a few years back, along with mana burn and the like?

Also, let me tell you about Arabian Nights cards with their expansion name on the back of the card. :corsair:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

jassi007 posted:

Thank god I'd like a set without shipping $100 on it

There was a recent Brainstorm Brewery where they discussed this. The theory is that it's nearly impossible for any new set to drop below $100 while it's in print because the set's overall value is partly determined by MTGO redemptions because they raised the price of redemptions to $25.

It goes like this. Is the overall value of the set at least $25 over the overall value of the MTGO version of the set? If yes, people will redeem sets, putting upward pressure on online cards and downward pressure on paper cards. If no, the people won't redeem, putting upward pressure on paper cards because those redemption copies aren't entering the market like normal; this is a big reason why Voice and Blood Baron are worth as much as they are, even though they're not dominating the meta. There's just not a lot of copies out there.

The same phenomena might effect Born of the Gods singles prices, though I doubt as much since it's the second set and we'll see more of it than we would a third set like Dragon's Maze.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah what happened to mana floating? When I quit the first time back in the day you could float mana all the way through til the end of your turn and took mana burn if you didnt use it. Why did that change?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

My pet card is Laboratory Maniac, I have so many ways to win with him. Breakfast Burrito, Fluctuator, Seance, and Cephalid Breakfast are just a few of the better ones.

I still use it as my Omnihalls wincon. I have yet to be punished by Sudden Shock.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah what happened to mana floating? When I quit the first time back in the day you could float mana all the way through til the end of your turn and took mana burn if you didnt use it. Why did that change?

This was never true, or stopped being true with sixth edition at the latest. The previous rule before the current one was that it drained at the end of phases, but not steps.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Back as far as I remember, unused mana burned at the end of the phase, not the turn.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Samael posted:

I just started playing again, so it's all pretty new to me. I played a bit during shards block but thats about it. :) I love most of rebecca guay's art so far, even though I have only seen the promo Path to exile, dark ritual and bitterblossom. Is there any other good rebecca guay cards I haven't found about yet?

My friend just got me this one as a going away present :3:

I'll probably run it as a sideboard card in Merfolk even though it's a suboptimal card.

(The Richard Kane Ferguson art on Boomerang owns as well)

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Terese Nielsen has good arts, for the most part.
http://magiccards.info/query?q=a%3A%22terese+nielsen%22&s=cname&v=card&p=1

I built my first EDH deck tonight and I already have about 25 additional cards I'd like to shoehorn in there. Choosing a theme is hard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Livingtrope posted:

While I agree with hating the guy with the pokemon doll, the other guy is trolling in real life and i can't help but respect that.

I honestly don't think hes trolling as he done for years, He really thinks he is helping his opponent. And yes its super tilting to play against him, hell its tilting just to play next to him.

RoleModel posted:

That's Adrian Sullivan, the pro Magic player version of your grandpa that says "BACK IN MY DAY..."

This is best description I have ever seen, thank you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bugsy posted:

I honestly don't think hes trolling as he done for years, He really thinks he is helping his opponent. And yes its super tilting to play against him, hell its tilting just to play next to him.

The most brutal troll is the one that's unintentional.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

This was never true, or stopped being true with sixth edition at the latest. The previous rule before the current one was that it drained at the end of phases, but not steps.

Then teenage me and my teenage buddies misinterpreted the rules 10 years ago, as little as it came up :downs: at least I'm aware of the correct rule this time around.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Recess Rapist posted:

I built my first EDH deck tonight and I already have about 25 additional cards I'd like to shoehorn in there. Choosing a theme is hard.

I'm building one tonight too, I think I'm doing this wrong because every time I make a first pass at a new EDH deck I end up with a stack of cards at least twice the size of an EDH deck, usually more.

Also I can't decide if I want this to be a budget Momir Vig deck, or to drop the blue and make a good old-fashioned monogreen fatty/ramp party with Yeva as a commander :getin:

E:

Woah, I never realized she did Force of Will.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 9, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

C-Euro posted:

I'm building one tonight too, I think I'm doing this wrong because every time I make a first pass at a new EDH deck I end up with a stack of cards at least twice the size of an EDH deck, usually more.

Also I can't decide if I want this to be a budget Momir Vig deck, or to drop the blue and make a good old-fashioned fatty party with Yeva as a commander :getin:

I'm working on Tromokratis/Whelming Wave deck, I took every Kraken, Octopus, Leviathan, and Serpent and jammed in a bunch of monoblue goodstuff and had ~150 cards. So I cut out all the crap sea monsters now there's only 10 of them left in the deck and some of those are pretty questionable. I'm torn between building something that's remotely playable with a flimsy theme or something that plays like garbage but has a kickass theme.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

Woah, I never realized she did Force of Will.

Modeled on herself, if I remember correctly. Those are her abs. Crazy abs.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Promoted Pawn posted:

There was a recent Brainstorm Brewery where they discussed this. The theory is that it's nearly impossible for any new set to drop below $100 while it's in print because the set's overall value is partly determined by MTGO redemptions because they raised the price of redemptions to $25.

It goes like this. Is the overall value of the set at least $25 over the overall value of the MTGO version of the set? If yes, people will redeem sets, putting upward pressure on online cards and downward pressure on paper cards. If no, the people won't redeem, putting upward pressure on paper cards because those redemption copies aren't entering the market like normal; this is a big reason why Voice and Blood Baron are worth as much as they are, even though they're not dominating the meta. There's just not a lot of copies out there.

The same phenomena might effect Born of the Gods singles prices, though I doubt as much since it's the second set and we'll see more of it than we would a third set like Dragon's Maze.

Yup. They also came to the conclusion the set is better than it looks at first glance so all the value doesn't have to ride on brimaz

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Top artists are rk post and Ron Spencer.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Is there a card similar to Sensei Divining Top that is legal in modern?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Korak posted:

Is there a card similar to Sensei Divining Top that is legal in modern?

Crystal Ball is sort of a "fixed" Top. No draw, though.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

This dates when I started playing, but my favorite card artist has always been Quinton Hoover.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

St0rmD posted:

This dates when I started playing, but my favorite card artist has always been Quinton Hoover.

And now he's dead. You killed him with your love, St0rmD

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
I miss the occasional Foglio popping up in sets (either one). I wouldn't want a whole set done in that style, but they were a nice break in levity. The dude in the Sulfurous Springs was just too chill for Wizards :(

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Did someone say Foglio?

Single best card art in all of Magic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I thought MonoBlue was dead then it 2 out of 8s in the first tourney and outdoes MonoBlack. I'm dumb.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

A big flaming stink posted:

Did someone say Foglio?

Single best card art in all of Magic.

Wrong

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
What is the best way to buy singles without paying shipping 4 times? I need 4 pack rats, but no one has more than 1 or 2 on tcgplayer. I don't really want to be pinged for shipping two to four times.

I don't really have enough trade stuff to try trading on deckbox yet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You can always check the SA Mart thread

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Kilazar posted:

What is the best way to buy singles without paying shipping 4 times? I need 4 pack rats, but no one has more than 1 or 2 on tcgplayer. I don't really want to be pinged for shipping two to four times.

I don't really have enough trade stuff to try trading on deckbox yet.

I PMd you.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ohitsapokemon. That was driving me nuts. He seems to have misplayed a lot into winning, but that's fine so long as UW loses.

At the Cardiff PTQ I went to a guy played dressed as Deadpool.

ahaha that is my friend Patrice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What limited format represents better value right now? Do I want 50% BNG packs from sealed or 33%BNG packs in draft?

• Locked thread