Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The hunt mission in FF13 where your mark gets sniped by a tonberry and you fight that instead is probably the best cutscene in a game full of em.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fister Roboto posted:

There's an endgame dungeon in FF14 where your party is being constantly stalked by a giant tonberry. If he catches up to you it's pretty much a wipe. Tonberries are great.

The entire concept was genius. The first section of the dungeon is basically a race between you and a single tonberry; you move at like 3 times it's speed but have to constantly stop to clear groups of trash mobs in order to progress. You want to know how to make trash mobs in a MMO dungeon exciting? Kill them while keeping one nervous eye on the corner you just passed waiting your your giant friend to catch up to you and then going "gently caress IT'S HERE KILL FASTER GUYS OH GOD" as he sloooowly creeps around the corner and starts heading your way.

Later on you have to creep through a an area of multiple hallways, killing enemies and flipping some switches to open a door at the end as a half-dozen tonberries patrol different parts of the hallways and you have to try and avoid them. Less being chased, more watching a tonberry walk by praying he turns left instead of right so that he doesn't walk right into you. Then of course he does and the next 2 minutes before the party wipe is a benny hill skit as you run from one and attract 2-3 more.

Unfortunately as is depressingly common in MMOs, your progression will basically trivialize the dungeon. That first time you run it, though? Oh man, amazing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Bravely Default question: I just cleared the dungeon where you rescue the king from Heinkel and get the Knight job. There was a locked chest in there; was there a key somewhere in the dungeon that I missed, or am I supposed to ignore it the first time through and come back later in the game for it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Bravely Default question: I just cleared the dungeon where you rescue the king from Heinkel and get the Knight job. There was a locked chest in there; was there a key somewhere in the dungeon that I missed, or am I supposed to ignore it the first time through and come back later in the game for it?

There's a BD thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585064&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=45

To answer the question, you get the key in chapter 6.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You get the key far later in the game, don't stress the chests yet.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fister Roboto posted:

There's an endgame dungeon in FF14 where your party is being constantly stalked by a giant tonberry. If he catches up to you it's pretty much a wipe. Tonberries are great.

You even fight King Tonberry at the end, and his intro cutscene is creepy as hell as the only thing you hear at first is a knife being sharpened echoing throughout the dungeon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oxxidation posted:

Friends, let us talk briefly about the Tonberry.

I love Tonberries. I've been stoked by them ever since getting mowed down by one in FFVII (though the basic version wasn't even in that game, ha-ha, FFVII had issues). You've got all these technocolored monsters the size of a tractor-trailer stomping around the endgame of FF titles, and in their midst is this little...thing (overlook the fish tail and I can see them as a kind of hobo penguin), stalking around with a lantern and an ordinary kitchen knife. A knife that probably does enough damage to make the game's endboss go cross-eyed and pass out. They're totally inexplicable right down to that little croaking noise they've made in games like FFVIII and FFX, and Square's later characterization of them as cuddly little darkness-dwelling critters which only know supernatural hate makes them even better.

Anyway I just got bushwhacked by one in FFXIII-2 - oh, they learned how to jog on their tiny little legs, how nice, all hope is lost - and it made me nostalgic. I totally need to recruit one of those things at some point.

Cactaur may be the more "iconic" FF monster, but clearly Tonberry is the most endearing. I like how they're basically the spirit of vengence for all the monsters you've homicidally slaughtered by the thousands through the game, since they usually have a move, where how hard it murders you is directly proportional to how many enemies you've killed.

Most of FFX-2s Via Infinito was mind-numbingly samey, but towards the end, every once in a while, you'd come to levels swarming with enormous Tonberries. Those were the only interesting levels.

Where did they first show up? Was it FFV with its... ahem, "dingleberry"?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah they first appeared in FFV. Sadly it's probably their least threatening appearance because by the time you get to them you're rocking stuff like Rapidfire.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Bongo Bill posted:

Dimensions is pretty good, but I cannot imagine a reason to buy it now that Bravely Default is out, unless you've already finished Bravely Default and are in dire need of even more FFV-esque content.

Isn't Bravely Default a 3DS game?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah I am pretty much never going to play Bravely Default unless it gets ported to mobile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

With the announcement of Bravely Second and talk of it being becoming a yearly franchise, I would imagine that mobile versions are never going to happen and they're going to keep it as a 3DS based franchise.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tempo 119 posted:

The hunt mission in FF13 where your mark gets sniped by a tonberry and you fight that instead is probably the best cutscene in a game full of em.

It's also one of the only somewhat difficult fights in the game. I'm not even sure if I ever got around to beating it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

With the announcement of Bravely Second and talk of it being becoming a yearly franchise, I would imagine that mobile versions are never going to happen and they're going to keep it as a 3DS based franchise.

I don't know about that. BD is basically ripe to be ported to mobile ala FF4DS. It has a bunch of features you could easily Mobilize. It has simple controls that could be easily touch screened. It already has microtransactions built in. I would bet the reason BD is getting a push is because Square realizes it could be easily ported once the 3DS buyers have slowed off.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 8, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about that. BD is basically ripe to be ported to mobile ala FF4DS. It has a bunch of features you could easily Mobilize. It has simple controls that could be easily touch screened. It already has microtransactions built in. I would be the reason BD is getting a push is because Square realizes it could be easily ported once the 3DS buyers have slowed off.

I don't disagree, but I can't see them moving it over.
I hope they do though because I think as many people should experience it as possible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meiteron posted:

Later on you have to creep through a an area of multiple hallways, killing enemies and flipping some switches to open a door at the end as a half-dozen tonberries patrol different parts of the hallways and you have to try and avoid them. Less being chased, more watching a tonberry walk by praying he turns left instead of right so that he doesn't walk right into you. Then of course he does and the next 2 minutes before the party wipe is a benny hill skit as you run from one and attract 2-3 more.

This is how one of the wings in Ost Dunoth goes in Lotro. You have 3 branches your party runs through, flipping switches for each other and there's guys on Oliphants coming up behind you who wipe anyone they catch. If one group is two slow everyone can potentially get wiped.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Krad posted:

There really is no excitement to be found in LR's release when Type-0's translation is currently being beta tested, and there's even a sample video!

I guess there must be a lot of interest for this, since trying to view their site now just gives "Error 508. Resource Limit Is Reached" :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've had a Cactuar and a Tonberry plush sitting beside my consoles for years and every time people see them, they lose their poo poo.

Didn't Square sell life-sized Tonberry toys that were about a meter tall for some ungodly amount at one point?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've had a Cactuar and a Tonberry plush sitting beside my consoles for years and every time people see them, they lose their poo poo.

Didn't Square sell life-sized Tonberry toys that were about a meter tall for some ungodly amount at one point?

*doink*

Talking about SE merchandise, they also made Moogle mugs:

And a poo poo-tonne of low-quality jewellery, that Cloud, Leon, Vincent, Sephiroth, Sora, Lightning et al. wear.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 8, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I never knew I could want something this badly before. :swoon:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The tonberry got me searching for that other FF staple; the Chocobo.

For something that's real :stonk:
Life-size Chocobo:

Chocobo goes WARK!

And now for something :3:

Chicobo goes KWEH!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Here's a Tonberry-themed invader in Dark Souls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32ufmdQ6gk

Back in an early version of the game, the Iron Flesh spell he's using made you move super slowly, but you were practically immune to physical damage. A perfect Tonberry fit.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

God, Wanderer's Palace (the tonberry dungeon in FFXIV) is so much fun. It's designed for speed-running like endgame parties tend to do anyway, but they implemented it in a way that's hits the FF-flavor notes perfectly.

Pesky Splinter posted:

For something that's real :stonk:
Life-size Chocobo:

It's now when you realize that if they were real, chocobos are basically terrorbirds.

And we are the lunatics that ride them. :black101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I saw that thing once, and I still regret not buying it. At least I got a little slime, he smiles as I play :3:

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Pesky Splinter posted:

Talking about SE merchandise, they also made Moogle mugs:

Oh god! Can you still buy these anywhere?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

violetdragon posted:

Oh god! Can you still buy these anywhere?

I was at the new store / cafe in Japan last year and they had a bunch of mugs, not sure if this specific one was there. I also go a cactuar and a chocobo which my infant son happily chews on when I'm not looking. They were all sold out of tonberries.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I started playing Lightning Returns today, and despite all my expectations I'm actually having a somewhat reasonable time. I'm oddly reminded a lot of Valkyrie Profile at the moment, at least in some ways. Is there a dedicated thread for discussion on it yet? 'Cause it's definitely a game that will likely necessitate a walkthrough of some kind...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Because Games needs yet another megathread.

(This is the part where it turns out that there is in fact a ff13 specific thread)

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I was at the new store / cafe in Japan last year and they had a bunch of mugs, not sure if this specific one was there. I also go a cactuar and a chocobo which my infant son happily chews on when I'm not looking. They were all sold out of tonberries.

I'll have to check amazon and eBay for an affordable one, because I can't get to japan. It would go great with my moogle glass.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

violetdragon posted:

moogle glass.

OK Kupo!

God, can you imagine?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Fedule posted:

OK Kupo!

God, can you imagine?

If I had glasses that projected moogles everywhere, I'd walk right into a tree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

So I started playing Lightning Returns today, and despite all my expectations I'm actually having a somewhat reasonable time. I'm oddly reminded a lot of Valkyrie Profile at the moment, at least in some ways. Is there a dedicated thread for discussion on it yet? 'Cause it's definitely a game that will likely necessitate a walkthrough of some kind...

I had the same feeling actually. Tri-Ace is credited in the credits so I suspect there is some connection there.

I also helps that Lightning is literally a Valkyrie plus Odin and Yggdrasil and Collecting Souls and all that which is totally just mythology but through that Square/Tri-Ace filter.

There's no thread yet but I'll answer any questions if I know the answer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 9, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I had the same feeling actually. Tri-Ace is credited in the credits so I suspect there is some connection there.

I also helps that Lightning is literally a Valkyrie plus Odin and Yggdrasil and Collecting Souls and all that which is totally just mythology but through that Square/Tri-Ace filter.

So, what you're saying is it's actually Valkyrie Profile 4: Lightning?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking of those majestic people, what have they put out recently? Anything worth playing? I loved Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile, but neither series has really surpassed those titles. Radiata Stories wasn't really my jam either.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

I still want Valkyrie Profile: Hrist, don't do this to me SE.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Speaking of those majestic people, what have they put out recently? Anything worth playing? I loved Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile, but neither series has really surpassed those titles. Radiata Stories wasn't really my jam either.
Truth told, Tri-Ace has never really been that great of a company and their best games are flukes. I think they have a partial hand in the Tales series, and that's acceptable, but mostly their creepiness was masked by an era when every voice actor sounded like a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The White Dragon posted:

Truth told, Tri-Ace has never really been that great of a company and their best games are flukes. I think they have a partial hand in the Tales series, and that's acceptable, but mostly their creepiness was masked by an era when every voice actor sounded like a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

I was really surprised by how unlike most of their work Resonance of Fate is. Did they bring outside writers after the horror that was SO4?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tri-Ace was founded by a bunch of people from Wolf Team (makers of Tales of Phantasia) who left after Namco bought them out. Part of why Motoi Sakuraba gets around so much is that there's a bunch of bits and pieces of Wolf Team scattered around and they all like his music :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

That is frankly closer to what it is that I am entirely comfortable with. Not even VP: Silmeria got that incoherent tho'.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

I was really surprised by how unlike most of their work Resonance of Fate is. Did they bring outside writers after the horror that was SO4?

It was written by Masaki Norimoto, who did the older Star Ocean games and Valkyrie Profile. Also Sega did the localisation and they made a point of throwing money at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Endorph posted:

Something like that, at least in its trappings. It still suffers from the impenetrable FFXIII storyline, but you can kinda ignore it actually.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, actually. I'm a little confused about the difficulty curve; it seems my experience in fights is either to completely overpower an enemy or to take continual massive damage. Guarding, while definitely useful, also doesn't seem quite as preventative as I would have expected. Am I missing something?

Also, since there is a time-limit on the game but the world is fairly open, do you have any advice on what order to attack the five major quests in?