Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remb
Feb 2, 2014

I settled on one of the newer islands they added (Hoodoo - Serenity). It's somewhat scenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huttan
May 15, 2013
How do you get more than one mastercrafting bracer? With one, I can rarely make blue tools. Does the crafting station have a hidden crafting skill level or something?

After making an assessor's mark and a gold axe, I seem to be harvesting about 2x the burled wood that I did earlier today. The tungsten pick (green) seems to harvest about half the quantity of materials that the (blue) silversteel pick harvested.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So I finally, mostly, finished the outside to my very generic castle on top of the largest mountain I could find when the alpha first went live. I still baaaaaadly need to grind the smooth tool so it doesn't look like a minecraft thing, and none of the interiosr or dungeons and catacombs beneath it are started, but if anyone is on crest in liberation, come on by at the northeast quadrant of the map.

Octopode posted:

I'm most proud of my functional spiral staircase. That was an engineering challenge.

:iamafag::hf::iamafag:

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
My (mostly) completed house, along with Munion's Goon Trade in the background.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Subutai (not sure if that's a goon) to the east of Munion's place on Serenity Pingo has a good method for spiral stairs using stacked circles. Sorry for the dark screenshot. Took it at night, and that guy doesn't have any lighting inside.

I might copy that method when I build my tower, except have them enclosed with a central pillar.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I spent way too much time on my mountaintop hideaway today.

Ignore the blocky look at the top of the tower, I haven't figured out how I want to smooth it yet since I hate how the smoothing tool makes everything thinner. :(

Also, speaking of spiral stairs, I spent way too much time on this, and and works very well.

And some closeups of the landings and how it works.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 9, 2014

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What do you do once you're finished building something?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zzulu posted:

What do you do once you're finished building something?

Build some more. There's not much to do until they introduce the market and combat along with PVP but once some of those game-y features are in, this game will be quite good. Hold us over until Everquest Next comes out definitely and I mean, they're still going to keep expanding on it so it may become a thing of its own. A very, very interesting thing indeed.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008
I'm actually extremely impressed with how well SOE is doing with this.

This might be the most exciting MMO to come along since... well almost a decade?

Also: the things you guys are making are like super-duper awesome quality. The tools are good!

Let's hope they don't gently caress it up too much with the cash shop.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Man, gently caress sapphire. Cobalt nodes with it are way too rare. Now I see why Munion made a Tradesman's Sifter. It is much faster to get sapphires from sifting stone into cotton gem bags.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

I have yet to find a single piece of sapphire -_-

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I get String ID 50345 not found everywhere in the game, what am I doing wrong? Or is this part of the Alpha? I tried to validate game files already.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frog Tower has had some major work done:

On the inside I've mostly finished the first floor (minus decorative wall stuff) and have some nice staircases heading up to the second floor. Nothing up there other than a big empty room with no walls at the moment.

Redid the door entirely, still not really happy with it. I think the inside of the frame needs some gold trim or something.

Once I get it fully constructed I'm going to go through and wreck it a bit, induce some wear and tear, make it look like some old abandoned ruins.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 9, 2014

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Went digging through the EQNL forums and found a post that said that the abundance (or complete lack) of sapphire could be varied on different islands. It would certainly make sense since I've found absolutely zero on Pingo so far.

But I'm way too tired to go try it out so it'll have to wait. But it would be nice to get the drat cobalt pick already.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

BabyFur Denny posted:

I get String ID 50345 not found everywhere in the game, what am I doing wrong? Or is this part of the Alpha? I tried to validate game files already.

This is what I found on the official forums:
https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/error-string-id-to-many-to-count.15369/#post-195995

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Zaq posted:

Went digging through the EQNL forums and found a post that said that the abundance (or complete lack) of sapphire could be varied on different islands. It would certainly make sense since I've found absolutely zero on Pingo so far.

But I'm way too tired to go try it out so it'll have to wait. But it would be nice to get the drat cobalt pick already.
I finally found two cobalt veins that ended in sapphires. This thread has good screenshots showing how to find them.

Edit: Finally got enough sapphires to make my cobalt pick after spending a couple of hours running along the northeastern desert of Pingo looking for veins like in the thread I linked earlier.

Inferior :smithicide:

grrarg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 9, 2014

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Really impressed with the stuff that is getting built. For those of you that have built and harvested mats for a bit now, do you find yourself instantly being able to look at some of these creations and, apart from design, say to yourself " Holy poo poo, that must have taken forever to harvest all that iron" versus "Oh that's all wood and could be gathered in a few hours" ?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I honestly have no idea what to do with the 4 Props the former owner of my claim left behind. They lost the claim because they had multiples, and this one wasn't the oldest claim they had.
So I've got a Forge, a Sawmill, a Workbench and a Door that I can use, but can't delete. I packed up my claim and the props stayed on the claim, just buried. So I redeployed, and...welp.

I /bug'ed it. No idea what else can be done.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Nah good builders are probably making hollow stuff. If they're gonna sell templates no need to weigh them down with filler mats.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Spent two hours going around the map, found one vein finally, got 26 sapphires -_-

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
How deep down can you go before you start building?
Also, is it possible to pretty much destroy a whole mounting that rests on my land?

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Im such an useless spergy goon, gently caress me and my 70$.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Zaq posted:

I'm convinced this is true. After spending 2.5 hours in ravine and finding not a single piece, I moved to another tier 3 and found two nodes within 30 minutes.

Someone posted a good picture, but basically the node will be very thin and narrow. If you hit it with the pick once and the patch widens, it's safe to move on.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 9, 2014

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

When you place your claim, you go to giant aerial view of the map and you get to place a large 3D box where ever you can fit it. This is your claim. You can place it at ground level, or use the mouse wheel to go up or down as far as you want. I haven't tried it, but you theoretically can make an entire claim underground or in the air. Inside your claim you can delete or add anything you want, so yes you can destroy that mountain.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LegionAreI posted:

Also, speaking of spiral stairs, I spent way too much time on this, and and works very well.

And some closeups of the landings and how it works.

Oh hey, these are really well done.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I've made a nice round tower following the instructions in this post here https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/creating-a-simple-cylindrical-tower-smoothing-tool.10934/ - basically, create a circle as best you can using blocks, build it up and then smooth it a lot - but working with smoothed voxels is a bit of a pain. In particular, they don't look good when they interact with other voxels, such as where the base of the tower connects to the ground. There are loads of jaggedy bits that won't smooth out.

Looking at some of the things you guys have done, I think sticking with squares may be the way to go. It looks like you can do lots of nice things with 45 degree angles to reduce the blocky effect without smoothing.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Paxman posted:

I've made a nice round tower following the instructions in this post here https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/creating-a-simple-cylindrical-tower-smoothing-tool.10934/ - basically, create a circle as best you can using blocks, build it up and then smooth it a lot - but working with smoothed voxels is a bit of a pain. In particular, they don't look good when they interact with other voxels, such as where the base of the tower connects to the ground. There are loads of jaggedy bits that won't smooth out.

Looking at some of the things you guys have done, I think sticking with squares may be the way to go. It looks like you can do lots of nice things with 45 degree angles to reduce the blocky effect without smoothing.

I've heard the smoothing tool described as a blowtorch and that's about the best description of it that I've heard. I've almost resigned myself to stuff being a little bit blocky in order to avoid the melted look everywhere. That and it thins everything it touches - the round part of my tower is extremely thin on the outer wall and I just decided to leave it that way for this build and not worry about it.

I've found the smoothing tool is pretty good for getting an aged look for ruins if you use it carefully but it just doesn't work the way I want it to. :(

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

grrarg posted:

Subutai (not sure if that's a goon) to the east of Munion's place on Serenity Pingo has a good method for spiral stairs using stacked circles.

That's me, so yep a goon. Thanks for checking out my place. If you decide to do it inside a cylinder let me know where I can come look at it. I am trying decide the best way to help people not fall off those stairs as the turns are bit tight and a railing would be pretty challenging.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

grrarg posted:

Edit: Finally got enough sapphires to make my cobalt pick after spending a couple of hours running along the northeastern desert of Pingo looking for veins like in the thread I linked earlier.

Ignore the name. You got a rare, which is pretty good. I got a common and it was named dull. When I upgraded it to the next pick, I got a rare though.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
So far, all I've made are some crappy ruined druid rings, because it was all I could think of to make at the time.

It was a good lesson in the shortcomings of the blur/smooth tool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The smooth tool is weird and takes some getting used to. Here's stuff I figured out about it though.

1. It will only smooth surfaces that have space selected around them. If you want a specific face of a shape to stay flat, use the selection tool and make sure the box doesn't give that face any breathing room- if it's right up flush against it, then it won't smooth.

2. It tends to bend things towards the box selected if you're using the tool itself instead of selecting a shape. You can use this to make some slight curved lines. If you want a specific cube face to seem smaller, use it on that one. If you want it to seem larger, use it block by block on the cubes surrounding that one to drag it's shape 'inside' those surrounding ones.

3. Doesn't play well with one-block-thick objects. Try to keep things that you intend to smooth to a 2-3 block thickness minimum, especially pillars or cylinders.

4. Using it multiple times smooths or warps the object further. If you use it once and it's not smooth enough, keep using it. If you do it too much you can always undo it back a few steps.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Reminds me of my rare tungsten pick, which I managed to get on my seventh try. Ugh.

It didn't matter though because the viridium grappling hook I made afterwards is the best thing ever.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

kuroiXiru posted:

Reminds me of my rare tungsten pick, which I managed to get on my seventh try. Ugh.

It didn't matter though because the viridium grappling hook I made afterwards is the best thing ever.

God, yes. Now where's my Indigo grappling hook? :getin:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

grrarg posted:

I finally found two cobalt veins that ended in sapphires. This thread has good screenshots showing how to find them.

The speed sorta sucks but the size is great. You're lucky.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

Wow, playing this for almost a week and only just figured out that shift+mousewheel zooms in and out.

I am a special brand of idiot.

But I have first-person mode now! :neckbeard:

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

The next few days will really be the "fun-test" for me in Landmark. I've upgraded every crafting station, have all my highest-tier tools and finished building out my first claim.

I really, really enjoy the game so far, but I hope we don't run out of things to do so early. I'd REALLY love it if they added a way to craft a 2nd claim for some ungodly amount of raw materials, just so we don't have to just wipe our current claims in order to build something else.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Is there any way to add some sort of subtle procedural noise to these creations?

All these shots of people's creations look great, but they all look a bit out of place. They sort of look like computer models that were dropped into this organic landscape because they all have perfectly smooth walls with perfectly sharp corners.

With the world consisting of voxels, it seems like this should be possible.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Like LegionAreI said earlier, the smooth tool is more of a blowtorch tool that melts voxels together and breaks up the straight edges. If used correctly it can make some great looking buildings but its pretty easy ruin your creations and make them look like they are made of warm butter.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone had any luck building on a circular surface? I'm trying to build on the exterior of a cylinder shape and anything I try to connect to it seems to mess up the voxels on the cylinder to actually connect and ends up creating jaggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Has there been any word on how/if this game will interact with EQN? All I've gathered is that they may use some peoples designs and buildings in EQN, but I really want there to be a more tangible connection. It seems like it would be awesome if the Landmark islands were actual islands you could travel to in EQN and potentially use as your home. I'm also wondering if Landmark is planned to be more than just a building game, with adventuring and survival, etc...?

• Locked thread