Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That did the trick. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Even then, pin lock will probably turn back on whenever you get a text, or when you sneeze, or any time someone looks at you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Even then, pin lock will probably turn back on whenever you get a text, or when you sneeze, or any time someone looks at you.

You weren't kidding. Worked fine last night, slide lock was back this morning.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anybody know where the CM updater downloads the updates to?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TLG James posted:

Does anybody know where the CM updater downloads the updates to?

sdcard/cmupdater for me

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I have an issue with my phone that maybe this thread can help me with.

I tried to root my Galaxy S4 i9505 using this method: http://droidlessons.com/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s4-and-install-a-custom-rom/

Once I came to step 7 and the reboot I get "kernel is not seandroid enforcing" on boot, and the soundbite plays but the screen is black and the little diode is a firm blue.

I looked around for some idea how to solve this and found: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265477

I started to download the firmware but 4 hours in my browser decided to restart, and then I could not get the transfer to start again since the source in that thread is 1/day unless you pay.

I can start to recovery mode and I have cleared cache and tried to do factory reset but I get the same result after reboot.

I can boot to download mode and I have Odin 3.09.

Should I just wait till tomorrow and try to get the right firmware or is there some other way to get my phone up and running with CM on it from where I am now?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Are there any 4.4 ROMs for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has the custom navbar and navigation ring as shown above? I'm running Task650 AOKP 4.3 but it's sorta slow :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fookolt posted:

Are there any 4.4 ROMs for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has the custom navbar and navigation ring as shown above? I'm running Task650 AOKP 4.3 but it's sorta slow :(

Does the Touchwiz equivalent of GravityBox not have those features?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

fookolt posted:

Switchr does something like this, and I love it.

Does anyone have experience with updating boot loaders? Currently on a Note 2 4.1 ROM, and Android HD has been updated to 4.3. However I need to update to the MJ5 boot loader for some stupid Samsung reason. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
GravityBox looks like it would be good. Any recommendations for a compatible 4.4 ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm not really a fan of TouchWiz.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 9, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fookolt posted:

GravityBox looks like it would be good. Any recommendations for a compatible 4.4 ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm not really a fan of TouchWiz.
Obviously the Google Experience stock ROM would fit the bill and be compatible with GravityBox.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Obviously the Google Experience stock ROM would fit the bill and be compatible with GravityBox.

I had some issues with the RC1.1 4.4.2 GPE rom and xposed framework but I don't know if the RC1.2 fixes that. If you want to use gravity box safely, use the 4.3 GPE rom.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I tried the 4.4 GPE ROM with GravityBox but it didn't quite let me do everything I wanted to do in terms of the notification ring so I ended up using the Carbon 4.4 ROM that was just released today and it works pretty much perfectly for what I need.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is google talk working for you guys on 4.3? I rolled back to cm 10.2.1-d2att stable so I could use it instead of hangouts. It was working for a few hours but now I can't sign in, it just keeps spinning. I tried to wipe and re-flash my rom but same thing, can't login just keeps spinning.

I have the talk apk from build 330, is this the newest one? Any ideas how to resolve?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

Is google talk working for you guys on 4.3? I rolled back to cm 10.2.1-d2att stable so I could use it instead of hangouts. It was working for a few hours but now I can't sign in, it just keeps spinning. I tried to wipe and re-flash my rom but same thing, can't login just keeps spinning.

I have the talk apk from build 330, is this the newest one? Any ideas how to resolve?
I guess you could stop tilting at windmills, join the rest of us in 2014, and update to Hangouts? Or just keep loving that chicken, whatever.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I've got a XT1053 Moto X (T-Mobile/GSM unlocked), currently running the latest 4.4.2 OTA update. How do I root this thing? XDA has like a dozen threads on this that are all different and none of them seem to explicitly mention whether they will work on a 4.4.2 XT1053.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I guess you could stop tilting at windmills, join the rest of us in 2014, and update to Hangouts? Or just keep loving that chicken, whatever.

Seconding this, I have CM 10.2.1 atm but I've been using hangouts since LastInLine told me to use it for a brief support session. Now that it can be used as sms app is even better.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So if I want to root/install cfw on my Note 3, it seems my phone is old enough that it has a locked bootloader, but doesn't have knox on it, or at least wont be tripped or something. (MI9)

The steps to rooting/installcfw seem rather different than back when I had my S3 (which was install recovery, wipe everything, install iso which came with root anyways)

Is it just, use that vega thing to root, then safestrap, then install rom?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So if I want to root/install cfw on my Note 3, it seems my phone is old enough that it has a locked bootloader, but doesn't have knox on it, or at least wont be tripped or something. (MI9)

The steps to rooting/installcfw seem rather different than back when I had my S3 (which was install recovery, wipe everything, install iso which came with root anyways)

Is it just, use that vega thing to root, then safestrap, then install rom?
Every Note 3 has the KNOX bootloader, Root de la Vega just won't trip the warranty flag, but that sounds about right as far as rooting one with a locked bootloader.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

So I've got a first gen Note 10.1 that was already rooted and had a custom rom on it. My buddy that gave it to me can't remember what he used to root, and I'd like to get it back to stock recovery/rom so I can sell it to upgrade to the new one. Is there a way I can do this without knowing specifics of what was used to root it originally?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I accidentally installed the Kit-Kat update to my Maxx while furiously clicking in an endless runner.

I'm boned on rooting now, right?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I have a Sprint S4 running CM10.2 and I'd like to upgrade to CM11. I know the updated bootloader has the KNOX whatever that I don't want (right?), but should I install the modem updates from here first? My connectivity hasn't been all that great under CM10.2, would that help?

Then for CM, I'll be ok just flashing a CM11 nightly/gapps right over, correct? How is CM11 on the S4 anyway? Stable?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

NewcastleBrown posted:

I accidentally installed the Kit-Kat update to my Maxx while furiously clicking in an endless runner.

I'm boned on rooting now, right?

For now yeah, no way currently exists to root kit Kat for the maxx and you can't downgrade either. I think there's a decent sized bounty for root on 4.4 though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I've got a Nexus 4 running CM 10.1.

I want to go to a stock image with GravityBox. Is this a good method?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 running CM 10.1.

I want to go to a stock image with GravityBox. Is this a good method?
Yes, but a few things to note.

You don't need to enable USB debugging or do any of the ADB stuff at the start. Just turn your phone off and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down and you'll be in the bootloader.

You most likely don't want to relock your bootloader so skip the last instruction.

Once you've flashed the stock image, you'll need to install a third party recovery and then flash your favourite SU from there to root.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tunga posted:

Yes, but a few things to note.

You don't need to enable USB debugging or do any of the ADB stuff at the start. Just turn your phone off and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down and you'll be in the bootloader.

You most likely don't want to relock your bootloader so skip the last instruction.

Once you've flashed the stock image, you'll need to install a third party recovery and then flash your favourite SU from there to root.

Thanks!

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there an quicktile option in gravitybox to disable data? The data usage option will bring up the mobile data settings which I can turn it off from there but I was hoping for a one click setting. Gravitybox otherwise has been absolutely amazing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drevoak posted:

Is there an quicktile option in gravitybox to disable data? The data usage option will bring up the mobile data settings which I can turn it off from there but I was hoping for a one click setting. Gravitybox otherwise has been absolutely amazing.
There's an option called "Override default tile behaviour". If you tick that for Data Usage (and soft reboot) then the tile becomes: Tap to toggle data / Long press for Data Usage.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Tunga posted:

There's an option called "Override default tile behaviour". If you tick that for Data Usage (and soft reboot) then the tile becomes: Tap to toggle data / Long press for Data Usage.

Thanks, I tried long pressing on data usage and nothing would trigger. I just assumed data usage wasn't a switch. Switching the default behavior turns it properly into a tap/long press button.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drevoak posted:

Thanks, I tried long pressing on data usage and nothing would trigger. I just assumed data usage wasn't a switch. Switching the default behavior turns it properly into a tap/long press button.
Yeah, the "switch behaviour" option is rather unintuitive for that one because it actually adds an entirely new behaviour.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I revert to the stock kernel (Nexus 4) without wiping my phone? Can I just use fastboot to apply that part of the stock image?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

How can I revert to the stock kernel (Nexus 4) without wiping my phone? Can I just use fastboot to apply that part of the stock image?
Yes, just use the command without the -w flag. I'm sure Tunga knows the syntax off the top of his head but I'll admit that I always c/p it out of the script in Preview :ssh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yes, just use the command without the -w flag. I'm sure Tunga knows the syntax off the top of his head but I'll admit that I always c/p it out of the script in Preview :ssh:
You won't find the command in the script because the default scripts use just "fastboot update" to flash the entire zip as one big thing (fastboot knows what to do with each part based on the names).

Anyway, it's simple to reapply the stock kernel, and since it lives on the boot partition it doesn't affect your data at all (but you should still always take a backup before you flash anything as a matter of good practice).

Get the factory image and extacr boot.img from the (nested) zip.

code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 18, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

You won't find the command in the script because the default scripts use just "fastboot update" to flash the entire zip as one big thing (fastboot knows what to do with each part based on the names).
When you have a script (or any file) selected in Finder in OS X it shows off to the side what's in that file. Selecting the script shows each line in the script and I just copy/paste that and backspace out the -w. Preview.app owns so many bones.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I use MacOS at work, Preview is neat.

But that line is literally not in the script because it uses "fastboot update -w" which flashes an entire zip including system/boot/recovery images. It can't flash those individually because they're inside the zip. Only the bootloader (not the same thing as the boot partition) and the radio are flashed separately, because those are separate files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yeah, I use MacOS at work, Preview is neat.

But that line is literally not in the script because it uses "fastboot update -w" which flashes an entire zip including system/boot/recovery images. It can't flash those individually because they're inside the zip. Only the bootloader (not the same thing as the boot partition) and the radio are flashed separately, because those are separate files.
Oh yes, that's correct. I just figured why not reflash the ROM and the boot.img. If the user was loving with the kernel who knew what other things the "developer" threw into the installation script.

Best to just flash the entire ROM over top just to be sure.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Oh yes, that's correct. I just figured why not reflash the ROM and the boot.img. If the user was loving with the kernel who knew what other things the "developer" threw into the installation script.

Best to just flash the entire ROM over top just to be sure.
Well, there's nothing to say he's currently using the stock ROM, was my thought. But yeah, that also works fine if you are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Well, there's nothing to say he's currently using the stock ROM, was my thought. But yeah, that also works fine if you are.
I wish I could remember where it was that I first saw it but I think it was when everyone was trying to get the Nexus S to work on Gingerbread (it never did) you'd see all kinds of things snuck into "kernels". Changes to all kinds of files in /system and build.prop with every rumor that would stop the random reboots and kernel panics. Since then I've never trusted just fastbooting the boot.img.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Can anybody help me with my Verizon Note 2. Something when hosed on it and I can't figure out what to do next. I run Beans Rom v23, its a 4.3 TouchWiz based rom. It ran fine for a couple weeks then the other day I started to get this error:

"Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped"

This error came up pretty much nonstop. Could be trigged by reading Gmail, which would then kick me to the home screen. Would happen in google play music, but at least the music kept playing. But it also happens in the Play Store and as a result I cant download/update any apps. The downloads just sit there.

I did some google-fu work and saw a bunch of mentions to clearing cache/data and force stopping Media Storage and Download Manager. That didn't work. So I said, ok, I'll wipe and reflash the rom to see if that works. I went into TWRP and Wiped System, Factory Reset, Wiped Cache, and Dalvik Cache. I then re-flashed the Rom.

This time upon initial boot I got an error saying "system uids inconsistent" which I had to click "Im feeling lucky" to get rid of. It appears at every boot, but doesn't come up again after clearing it. I then continuously get the process android.process.media has stopped error. Two new ones come up on boot and they are

"Unfrotunately, Google Search has stopped"
AND
"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

Those two seem to stop after a couple times and then it's continous media stopped error.

I tried to Fix Permissions in TWRP for the UID error but when doing that it failed and this was at the end of the log:

"E: Unable to chmod data/data/com.google.android"

Somebody told me to wipe Internal Storage. So, I moved the rom and anything else I wanted to my SD Card and went into TWRP and wiped Internal Storage and reflashed.

Same errors.

Now, I can't even reinstall my apps since that error doesn't allow downloading from the play store.

Any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Can anybody help me with my Verizon Note 2. Something when hosed on it and I can't figure out what to do next. I run Beans Rom v23, its a 4.3 TouchWiz based rom. It ran fine for a couple weeks then the other day I started to get this error:

"Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped"

This error came up pretty much nonstop. Could be trigged by reading Gmail, which would then kick me to the home screen. Would happen in google play music, but at least the music kept playing. But it also happens in the Play Store and as a result I cant download/update any apps. The downloads just sit there.

I did some google-fu work and saw a bunch of mentions to clearing cache/data and force stopping Media Storage and Download Manager. That didn't work. So I said, ok, I'll wipe and reflash the rom to see if that works. I went into TWRP and Wiped System, Factory Reset, Wiped Cache, and Dalvik Cache. I then re-flashed the Rom.

This time upon initial boot I got an error saying "system uids inconsistent" which I had to click "Im feeling lucky" to get rid of. It appears at every boot, but doesn't come up again after clearing it. I then continuously get the process android.process.media has stopped error. Two new ones come up on boot and they are

"Unfrotunately, Google Search has stopped"
AND
"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

Those two seem to stop after a couple times and then it's continous media stopped error.

I tried to Fix Permissions in TWRP for the UID error but when doing that it failed and this was at the end of the log:

"E: Unable to chmod data/data/com.google.android"

Somebody told me to wipe Internal Storage. So, I moved the rom and anything else I wanted to my SD Card and went into TWRP and wiped Internal Storage and reflashed.

Same errors.

Now, I can't even reinstall my apps since that error doesn't allow downloading from the play store.

Any help is appreciated.
Go back to a working nandroid. You'll never get that install to work.