Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I know this is definitely true for counts and dukes, but I could swear that on occasions where I have been looking to transfer vassalage of a count to a duke, the list also pops up with pretty much every single one of my barons, so I think there are different rules for them for some bizarre no reason. I'll check later this evening.

:eng101: However, their De Jure vassals (if any are under your control) pop up at the top of the list automatically!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I just checked and it seems that you can freely transfer counts, so it seems that only dukes are de jure only :shrug:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Excelzior posted:

doesn't said king only have a bunch of bastard kids from her, making his realm pass on to his brother (also a king)? might be bad idea to stab him.

Yeah - though I'm in West Francia and noth Lon..lon - oh drat it I'm bad with names, but yeah, he's not my liege. And Stabbing was bad - because I got caught, and he was kin, and his brother hates me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mailer posted:

If ever there was a case for quitting the game for the night, it's now. At this point I'd be happy if the next expansion after Indiatown is nothing but an AI fix so that stuff doesn't have to get dumb.

I declare the normal Norse county stomp against four rulers in Finland. Of course, as soon as I'm committed my ruler suddenly dies after leading armies for years after he hit his 60s. I wondered why the game chose now to kill him, since it's a cakewalk battle and I have contingency plans. My gold vault is full and my MA is high and maybe this next guy will be the guy to reform. No factions so it should be smooth sailing.

Then the kingdom claim came. I wondered for a few seconds why the AI called a non-faction claim almost immediately. Then I unpaused and the rebels flocking fired along with a bunch of instant supporters. That's not a problem. I tried plotkilling him but at ~230% I failed six times (getting discovered every time) as well as being discovered twice in the planning. It only eventually killed him at ~95% warscore. Cue a save reload. I canceled the plot, mopped up my conquest wars and set to chasing the army of boats each carrying just enough to siege a county. It took a ton of gold and a lot of shift-queuing to eventually get them, but I had the war at 80% and just needed to clean up the 800ish stacks that were sieging down everything. It was close, but it was doable. Cheatstacks ain't got nothing on me.

Then the second instant claim came. Again, I wondered :wtc: until I unpaused and saw the rebels flocking. This took every last boat, a trip to Iceland and massive trickery. Two hours I'd been handling shift-queuing to take back counties pillaged by magic boats with magic troops. I cleared out the first war, imprisoning half the realm, and considering I was still at war with the other half it looked like a total reset. My tiny 4k demesne had prevailed against two wars with 50k+ guys and the 2k gold (read: almost everything) I'd spent to get here was worth the story. It was over ten years of not giving up on Norway.

Then, at 99% with a day left until the remnants of my force caught the last stack, the game kills off the claimant and makes the entire war pointless.

I love the tears this game generates.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Oberleutnant posted:

Are there any decent flavour event pack mods out there? Just looking for something to add some life to my court and family, without a load of extraneous poo poo.

"Extraneous poo poo" is a defining trait of any maintained CK2 mod. If you ever have an interesting idea that you want to mod in, you are required to lump it in with all the balance issues you think need to be addressed. I was originally interested in VIET because the guy's stated goal was to add flavor without changing the game. That didn't work out, but I think you can load parts of it separately so you might get a little extra flavor without side effects.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Now I understand why people hate regencies so much. I went from High crown authority to Minimum crown authority in ten years, and I'm probably never going to be able to raise it again because I'm Byzantium. On top of that, some jerkoff megaduke managed to usurp a kingdom while I was busy trying to keep the empire together. Free ducal revocation really doesn't make things as easy as I thought it would.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I've only been playing a bit of vanilla since SoA launched. What's the non-total conversion modding scene like now? Is CK2+ still worth the huge tradeoff in performance?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I've only been playing a bit of vanilla since SoA launched. What's the non-total conversion modding scene like now? Is CK2+ still worth the huge tradeoff in performance?

I'm playing CK2+ after just starting to play this game again. It has a learning curve because things you are allowed to do in vanilla are disabled when your character doesn't meet certain criteria in CK2+, and it isn't described in game. For example, if you have negative prestige, you can't fabricate claims anymore, but the button for it just disappears instead of greying out with a tooltip.

The other that I haven't played is called Historical Immersion Project. I checked out the changelog and it looks like they just try to railroad the game to a historical ending, take away a lot of options available without adding new ones, and other weird things (nerfing default character fertility because "Most families don't have 4 kids").

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ok CK2, you suck. So here I am as the Duke of Brandenburg, 70 years old and about to pass everything on to my great heir. This is my first ruler since starting the game in 1066 btw. Anyway, suddenly some rear end in a top hat assassinates the 17 year old HRE and for some loving reason I inherit it all. And now my realm falls apart instantly because everything was a complete wreck. I was happy doing my own little thing as a loyal duke vassal quietly expanding into Pomerania and then whoops, gently caress you.

gently caress

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Went into a big battle, the only good commander I had available was my king who was unyielding and had narrow flank. At one point I think one of my wings collapsed.

Narrow Flank owns

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pfft, you call that a big battle?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pfft, you call that a big battle?

The days of 100K on 100K via navybombs are over my friend :(

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

That should work as is.

Example:
code:
1993 = {
	name = "Takaharu"
	dynasty = 339

culture = japanese
	religion = shinto

#father =

1288.11.26 = {
		birth = "1288.11.26"
		add_trait = "showa"
	}
	1318.3.29 = {
		name = "Daigo"
	}
	1339.9.18 = { 
		death = "1339.9.18" 
	}
}

It's really weird, I redid everything, changing the regular traits, the order of date events, the trait being gained on the date, the date itself... And somehow it works properly now, with the exact same lines that crashed before. CK2 is weird.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok CK2, you suck. So here I am as the Duke of Brandenburg, 70 years old and about to pass everything on to my great heir. This is my first ruler since starting the game in 1066 btw. Anyway, suddenly some rear end in a top hat assassinates the 17 year old HRE and for some loving reason I inherit it all. And now my realm falls apart instantly because everything was a complete wreck. I was happy doing my own little thing as a loyal duke vassal quietly expanding into Pomerania and then whoops, gently caress you.

gently caress

Heh, this happened to me once while I was King of Frisia. When I finally managed to lose the Emperors title, I also lost half of my Kingdom with it :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ulmont posted:

Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture: not actually deterministic. Compare the heir for Britannia and the heir for the Byzantine Empire, noting particularly the respective succession laws:

Did Oddr's father die before you created/usurped Byanztium?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

...and that's a wrap. Finished up at 1453 as the Russian Empire. This is the first time I wasn't able to paint the map in my colors. Ended up dealing with numerous powerful neighbours, Carpathia formed, the Byzantines nearly reformed the freaking Roman Empire, Scandinavia formed, the Knights of Santiago rampaged the levant while holding Iberia, and the mongols made a lasting fortress of Persia/Arabia/Khiva/Tartaria somehow. My last few years were dealing with a full on stepe hoard onslaught. I feel like this would be an interesting port to EUIV but I've never played that so RIP in peace unusually balanced powers of the world.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
In my games the Carpathian Empire never does anything interesting. It generally only ends up covering the areas that Tengri is usually found in and then spends the whole game fighting to maintain control of those areas. I've never seen them go to war with Byzantium or the Germans. They always end up in wars with Poland but never seem to completely destroy them.

Maybe I should play as the Hungarians sometime. Only pagans I've played as so far are the Norse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What was the political situation of China and the far east during the Medieval time period? Was there a form of feudalism that could potentially allow a future expansion into the area?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was the political situation of China and the far east during the Medieval time period? Was there a form of feudalism that could potentially allow a future expansion into the area?

Short answer: sort of, yes.

Long Answer: there was a very large period of instability which would probably be very interesting to play, even if it might not technically be "feudalism" (I think traditionally it was fairly common for Chinese peasants to own their own land instead of being serfs).

e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Dynasties_and_Ten_Kingdoms_period

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wikipedia says Imperial, some upheaval, two dynasties. I know basically gently caress-all about Imperial China so I don't know how feudal it was.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The Zhou through Qin Dynasties are a better example of feudalism. It would have to be set in antiquity though and probably have to be centered on China alone. Which I think would be a pretty cool CK2 expansion.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kiiiiiiiinda. Even India is kinda pushing the rigid-structure model, it already is kinda nonsensical for Muslims. China was definitely about dynasties, so that would work, but not so much about the pseudofeudal War of the Roses poo poo the game models. China's feudal period was contemporary to Athens and Alexander the Great, and was basically over by the time Rome became a power. The games would be the time period of the Mongol Conquest and the beginning of the Ming, so that'd be hella interesting, but if you're going to expand the map to that then you might as well include all of Eurasia. Including India and China wouldn't make sense without the steppes or SE Asia, and we're already missing out on East Africa.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Mustang posted:

In my games the Carpathian Empire never does anything interesting. It generally only ends up covering the areas that Tengri is usually found in and then spends the whole game fighting to maintain control of those areas. I've never seen them go to war with Byzantium or the Germans. They always end up in wars with Poland but never seem to completely destroy them.

Maybe I should play as the Hungarians sometime. Only pagans I've played as so far are the Norse.

Carpathia could have doubled as the HRE in my game at point as it had Germany, Bohemia and most of Bavaria ontop of Hungary and Wallachia and half of Poland. They were good catholics though, as was scandinavia. The Tengri did reform briefly but eventually every single pagan religion was utterly wiped out. Just one suomenusko county that hadn't yet flipped lingered on.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Complicated depending on the exact period. Ultimately if Paradox wanted to do something with them they would probably just fudge the details anyway. I think you could consider China an appointed meritocracy, but in the backdrop of a heavily stratified society, as a first approximation.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The big difference in China is that rulers were appointed, and they were deliberately prevented from ruling over their home areas. It would pretty much play out like a single merchant republic with 30+ patrician families underneath one "royal" family that arbitrarily appointed which family would rule, with like a 20% chance every generation that a given patrician family would be replaced with a lowborn family. I don't know how good it would be for CK.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CapnAndy posted:

Did Oddr's father die before you created/usurped Byanztium?

No, Britannia was I think 3 generations into the Byzantine Empire at that point. At least 2.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tulip posted:

The big difference in China is that rulers were appointed, and they were deliberately prevented from ruling over their home areas. It would pretty much play out like a single merchant republic with 30+ patrician families underneath one "royal" family that arbitrarily appointed which family would rule, with like a 20% chance every generation that a given patrician family would be replaced with a lowborn family. I don't know how good it would be for CK.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert but did Byzantium not run on a vaguely similar system? As in, the Doux were appointed to life terms but could be recalled/replaced at any point and weren't really hereditary? So in a sense more like appointed governors?

What I'm saying is that Paradox had no qualms about ignoring parts of the Byzantine Empire that don't fit with the game mechanics so there's no reason they wouldn't be able to do the same with other areas (though I kind of wish they'd put a bit more effort into making different areas unique in terms of governance/succession). I actually think the Byzantines (/the Orthodox realms in general) are one of the least satisfying realms to play as because aside from a few fun side events and the ability to restore Rome/the Pentarchy they seem to function more or less like Catholic Europe with a lot of the more interesting features stripped out. The fact that they're the only religion in the game now that doesn't get some sort of crusade mechanic is also frustrating.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I have no idea about the Byzantines at all. I did my undergrad on China and my grad on Nepal. To me France's role in history is "that country that invaded Vietnam." My ignorance on European history is nearly absolute, Byzantium could have been run by martians for all i know. I can tell you that a game about families and dynasties ruling land areas would not find fertile territory in China from the Qin dynasty onwards.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ThomasPaine posted:

What I'm saying is that Paradox had no qualms about ignoring parts of the Byzantine Empire that don't fit with the game mechanics so there's no reason they wouldn't be able to do the same with other areas (though I kind of wish they'd put a bit more effort into making different areas unique in terms of governance/succession). I actually think the Byzantines (/the Orthodox realms in general) are one of the least satisfying realms to play as because aside from a few fun side events and the ability to restore Rome/the Pentarchy they seem to function more or less like Catholic Europe with a lot of the more interesting features stripped out. The fact that they're the only religion in the game now that doesn't get some sort of crusade mechanic is also frustrating.

I think if CK2 hadn't been a sequel, BYZ would probably not have been playable on release and instead have been added with more unique mechanics in a DLC later. We didn't want to cut out such a large area that was playable in CK1, but at the same time couldn't spend too much time adding special mechanics for it when we wanted to focus CK2 on being a narrower but more polished game on release than our previous titles.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

I have no idea about the Byzantines at all. I did my undergrad on China and my grad on Nepal. To me France's role in history is "that country that invaded Vietnam." My ignorance on European history is nearly absolute, Byzantium could have been run by martians for all i know. I can tell you that a game about families and dynasties ruling land areas would not find fertile territory in China from the Qin dynasty onwards.

I thought that the Sui dynasty was feudal; and it proved to be their undoing. Working a million peasants to death? That's progress. Discomfiting the nobility... Down with the emperor. So it would have to be some alt-history thing, like the Aztecs took over China and you have to fight them off. Or your only options are to play as a one-province count or as the Son of Heaven.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Darkrenown posted:

I think if CK2 hadn't been a sequel, BYZ would probably not have been playable on release and instead have been added with more unique mechanics in a DLC later. We didn't want to cut out such a large area that was playable in CK1, but at the same time couldn't spend too much time adding special mechanics for it when we wanted to focus CK2 on being a narrower but more polished game on release than our previous titles.

Well if you ever do expand the map to China (:dance:) and implement an imperial style government for her, you can also use that government on Byzantium/Rome. The way I see it, they had more similar system than between Frankish feudalism and Byzantines.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a decent updated guide to Republic play?

I tried doing some of that last night but ended up becoming a Feudal Duke when elected to the Dogeship. I'm thinking it's because I conquered some nearby counties. I'm trying to get individual control of some territory to ensure financial stability, but I can't figure out how to do it while also ensuring that Cities are my primary holding (and not Baronies). People used to talk about a Coastal Invasion CB, but the only one I have now is "Seize Town" which just gives me the town but not the county as a whole. I took a look at some Arumba videos but I'm getting the feeling that things have changed substantially with recent patches.

Also, I'm not quite sure what's up with Trade Posts. Is there a minimum intrigue needed to plot a coup for a trade post? Also, what's the best positioning strategy for them to ensure I pull down some serious :10bux:?

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a decent updated guide to Republic play?

I tried doing some of that last night but ended up becoming a Feudal Duke when elected to the Dogeship. I'm thinking it's because I conquered some nearby counties. I'm trying to get individual control of some territory to ensure financial stability, but I can't figure out how to do it while also ensuring that Cities are my primary holding (and not Baronies). People used to talk about a Coastal Invasion CB, but the only one I have now is "Seize Town" which just gives me the town but not the county as a whole. I took a look at some Arumba videos but I'm getting the feeling that things have changed substantially with recent patches.

Also, I'm not quite sure what's up with Trade Posts. Is there a minimum intrigue needed to plot a coup for a trade post? Also, what's the best positioning strategy for them to ensure I pull down some serious :10bux:?

It seems to be a bit buggy. I was a patrician under Venice and I managed to sneak my way into a successful take over of Croatia. Then I was KING, not Doge, of the REPUBLIC of Croatia and also still a patrician in the republic of Venice but the game would only show the republic of Croatia information in the info panel and wouldn't let me see what was going on in Venice anymore.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

People used to talk about a Coastal Invasion CB, but the only one I have now is "Seize Town" which just gives me the town but not the county as a whole.

You can only use the Seize County CB AFTER Seizing a City in that county (and dealing with the Truce timer in between)

Assuming you're not talking about being a norse pagan, who can use the Coastal Invasion CB to take any coastal, single-county piece of land.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Reveilled posted:

What about granting the son a barony then transferring the vassal relationship for the barony to the republic? The barony might need to be in the de jure area of the republic, but you can check with your current baron vassals before trying.

Gonna try both a city and a barony see if I can transfer him into the republic and get him voted.

e: So I built a city somewhere and gave it to my son, then transferred him over to the republic that has my dynasty. Switched over to the republic, made him my designated heir, and had to kill the poor old kinsman who was next in line. It's okay, he had a long and productive life.

It wouldn't accept my son as heir until I gave him a grand city, though, so he couldn't just be a regular mayor (might have kept him in the feudal succession until I made him become a Lord Mayor.)

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 9, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What advantages are there to being a Muslim heretic?

How do Religious orders gain counties, aside from winning crusades, seeing as they don't revolt from non-payment?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

drat, I see where you're coming from and that sucks. You definitely made a good call on making CKII tighter and more focused; IMHO it's not just Paradox's best game, but a legit contender for any serious Best Games of All Time list. It's a shame doing that put you between a rock and a hard place re: ERE.

Though, and I'm not trying to sound accusatory, why didn't the special government systems come up when you did Legacy of Rome? That seems like it would have been the right time to do it, if you were ever going to.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

What advantages are there to being a Muslim heretic?

How do Religious orders gain counties, aside from winning crusades, seeing as they don't revolt from non-payment?

Yazidi (I think) can create their own Caliphate, and get excommunication in addition to the other Caliph abilities. Rulers can give territory to Orders, and sometimes religious leaders (particularly Christian ones) will demand that a ruler hand over land conquered in a Great Holy War/Crusade/Jihad to an Order.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert but did Byzantium not run on a vaguely similar system? As in, the Doux were appointed to life terms but could be recalled/replaced at any point and weren't really hereditary? So in a sense more like appointed governors?

Duces were appointed but they were typically drawn from well-to-do families and other influential people from byzantine court. You could probably roughly approximate the byzantine system by having hereditary landowners, like counts, barons and lord-mayors represent people of import and you just appoint the realm's duces from their ranks as Emperor whenever one passes away, or try to scheme your way into becoming a dux if you're a count. Maybe if the CA is tanked the Emperor loses the mallus to make his own appointments. As Emperor the advantage would be having direct control over how much power your underlyings have through major appointments, the disadvantage would be your underlyings are all vying for some kind of prestigous honor under the Emperor: a family member that's a dux, honorary titles, reputable positions in your court/council, etc and thus get super angry/rebellious whenever they're snubbed. I guess it would work a bit like a trade republic at the ducal level.

E: Of course then there's the kingdom level, I suppose those would be like the exarchs of old from back when the empire was big enough to justify larger, more autonomous titles. I guess those would have the option of going electoral/hereditary but with tyranny-free revocations.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Are there any recommended mods that just improve small areas of the game, like enhanced character portraits or new events? Also, how up-to-date is the information in the CK2 wiki?

Is it usually a good idea to make a merchant republic vassal?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I noticed since iron man was patched in, CK2 doesn't seem to like to have its files changed. I tried to change the ruler designer cost to 0 like I do when a new patch comes out (I like broken rulers, sue me) and although i figured I couldn't play Ironman the game just crashes entirely instead. Is there a mod for this?

Also looking for a mod to remove Basche requirement from cognatic for the same reason.

• Locked thread