Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Thanks very much. I won't be able to fiddle with it until tomorrow, now, but I wanted to check that what I was doing wasn't entirely misguided. So, I take it, it should work.

fe: I should have mentioned that this ancient laptop is still running XP. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Eugh. That handles audio entirely differently than Vista and later. You can only fix this in the audio driver, if at all.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
So I may be poo poo out of luck?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Maybe, maybe not. But maybe, yes.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Enigmatic! I like it. I'll gently caress with it tomorrow but you've left me with a shred of hope at least. Thanks for your time, Factory.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have an Inspiron M731R with windows 8.1 and every so often the screen will flash black for a couple seconds then return to normal. Is this a thing that just happens or the symptoms of a problem?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

With a laptop that's usually a symptom of a display connection/cable issue; frequently in the hinge of the laptop.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is it something that I can fix myself or a warranty thing? I've replaced broken LCDs in laptops before so I have a little bit of an idea how to handle hardware.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
How serious is it to find out that your 12 volt rail is overvolted? I've been experiencing some unexpected system power downs following installing a new gfx card(which from a wattage stand point is the same as the old one), and according to HWInfo64, the 12 volt rail is varying between 14.9 and 16 volts.

Is this something that can be fixed in the bios?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ShredsYouSay posted:

How serious is it to find out that your 12 volt rail is overvolted? I've been experiencing some unexpected system power downs following installing a new gfx card(which from a wattage stand point is the same as the old one), and according to HWInfo64, the 12 volt rail is varying between 14.9 and 16 volts.

Is this something that can be fixed in the bios?

HWInfo64 is really not very good. When I first built my computer it wasn't capable of properly reading the sensors on my motherboard and claimed my 12V was putting out -17 while my 3.5V was at 24.
Check in the BIOS' hardware monitoring tab or use GPU-Z's sensor tab to check the GPU's sensors.
If that still says your 12V is not within 11.4 to 12.6 V (12V ± 5%) then you should get worried.

E: I got HWInfo64 and HWMonitor confused in my head. Still, check what the BIOS and GPU-Z say.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 9, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If your computer is working properly but your monitoring package says a voltage rail is out of ATX specifications, the presumption is that the monitoring package isn't reading the values correctly. Unless you verify with a multimeter, it makes a lot more sense for the problem to be somewhere along the monitoring line.

There is no standard for monitoring chips to adhere to, and even the same chip is implemented differently on different boards. The monitoring package basically has to take this into account on a board-by-board basis, and often the best that can be done is to implement a "this usually works for this chip and this manufacturer" default. Meanwhile, motherboards and power supplies increasingly have over- and undervolt protection these days, meaning that the system wouldn't simply shut off if any voltage got too far out of ATX specifications. So: Monitoring package looks weird but computer works fine? It's probably a problem between monitoring chip and screen.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Gpu-Z doesn't seem to be showing any 12 volt entry, just a vddc entry. Also, not seeing anything in the system bios regarding voltage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

So: Monitoring package looks weird but computer works fine? It's probably a problem between monitoring chip and screen.
But the computer isn't working fine.

ShredsYouSay posted:

I've been experiencing some unexpected system power downs

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Whoops, reading comprehension. :ughh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How's the quality on Cyber Power UPS units?

Been wanting to upgrade to something a bit bigger than my APC BackUPS 550VA, and I've also been wanting to move to something with true sine wave output. This unit is affordable and claims true sine wave.

Powering a higher end desktop, 2 monitors, router, possibly TV + AV receiver. With just the PC and 2 monitors, I get about 8 minutes of run time from the current UPS; I'd like to add the receiver and TV into the mix as the TV is also functioning as a 3rd monitor (and the HDMI from the PC to the TV is switched by the receiver) - it'd be nice to be able to save whatever I'm working with on the TV if the power happens to take a poo poo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

some texas redneck posted:

How's the quality on Cyber Power UPS units?

Been wanting to upgrade to something a bit bigger than my APC BackUPS 550VA, and I've also been wanting to move to something with true sine wave output. This unit is affordable and claims true sine wave.

Powering a higher end desktop, 2 monitors, router, possibly TV + AV receiver. With just the PC and 2 monitors, I get about 8 minutes of run time from the current UPS; I'd like to add the receiver and TV into the mix as the TV is also functioning as a 3rd monitor (and the HDMI from the PC to the TV is switched by the receiver) - it'd be nice to be able to save whatever I'm working with on the TV if the power happens to take a poo poo.

I've got 4 cyberpowers (1000va, 1200va, 2x685va all with AVR), the oldest one has been good for 11 years so far (with a couple of battery changes of course). They're not as highly regarded as APC or tripp-lite but I've never had a problem with mine, they work great with the crappy power I put up with for being at the edge of my power company's area.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Can an HP Proliant DL360 server run samsung 840 pro SSD's without any issues? We just need quick and dirty storage, nothing fancy and the cheapest ssd's hp offers are 100gb for $600.

edit: nevermind, answer is yes.

keykey fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 10, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

keykey posted:

Can an HP Proliant DL360 server run samsung 840 pro SSD's without any issues? We just need quick and dirty storage, nothing fancy and the cheapest ssd's hp offers are 100gb for $600.

Can't speak to that particular drive but the Proliant series will run pretty much any make of drive as long as the interface is SATA or SAS. What generation is your DL360, if its not a 7 or 8 you might have to find a solution for seating a 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" drive tray.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

keykey posted:

edit: nevermind, answer is yes.
Note that Samsung SSDs do not work well at all in systems without functioning TRIM support, if you aren't 100% sure the drives will operate with TRIM then a Sandforce-based SSD like the Intel SSD 530 is mandatory (or Intel DC-series drive). Otherwise performance and response time fall off a cliff with the drive runs out of free flash and has to erase blocks before it can write any data every time. The SSD megathread has more information.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Would a 1080p movie stream off a 5400rpm internal drive over wireless well enough, or would I need a faster drive?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would a 1080p movie stream off a 5400rpm internal drive over wireless well enough, or would I need a faster drive?

Its fine, I've done it. More so a wireless thing than hard drive.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It depends. The hard drive isn't the issue but your wireless network is. If you live in an apartment or other dense area you might not have enough bandwidth consistently. The only way to know is to try.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm looking for a good microphone for VOIP, some podcasting and twitch commentary. I'm looking to spend less than $60. So far I've found the Blue Snowball. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Edit: Nevermind. This is covered really well in this thread in Let's Play.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 13, 2014

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I am planning on purchasing a new computer and, having check lenovo's site for some, I found this: http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...-8=11&facet-4=1
Is this deal too good to be true? It seems like a real good upgrade from my old fossil of a computer, and I don't mind scratches or dents. the only thing I am worried about is if there is some sort of major problem with the IdeaCentre K450 that is the reason people turned in so many.

for reference, here is some of my computers specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 processor 2.90 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200

All on 64 bit windows vista.

Also, if this does not count as a hardware question I'll gladly edit this whole thing out.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 14, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Your link goes to a 'not available' page. That's probably a question for the parts-picking thread anyways.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
dang, sorry about that. I was going to post it in there, but I didn't know if they only wanted PC building questions. Thank you, I'll ask over there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I got a router with Wireless N, say at like 5GHz, would the higher frequencies be a benefit or a detriment for an apartment? The tiny B/G router I have now doesn't seem to cut through walls at times, other times I can be 200 feet away and my phone goes HEY WIFI SUP. (also having the issue that putting it on G and none of our phones can pick up the signal)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
5Ghz is pretty important because it lets you avoid interference from nearby wireless networks. Wireless-AC routers are a further improvement and can provide an experience similar to a wired network.

E: Typos.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 15, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alereon posted:

5Ghz is pretty important because it lets you avoid interference from nearby wireless networks. Wireless-AC routers are a further improvement and can prove and experience similar to a wired network.

Is things like gaming consoles/phones compatible with this AC setup? It seems on a cursory glance that it's just a sort of bandwidth setting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is things like gaming consoles/phones compatible with this AC setup? It seems on a cursory glance that it's just a sort of bandwidth setting.

The Playstation 4 and Xbox One support 802.11ac, as though most higher end phones starting in late 2012 (it might be down to midrange phones by now). Going forward, most things are going to start supporting it.

One of the things it does is handles multiple devices using the same wireless link at once much better, so you don't get as big throughput drops if multple devices are all trying to do things, so it's very good to have once you have compatible devices.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Install Windows posted:

The Playstation 4 and Xbox One support 802.11ac

This is not even close to being correct. Neither support 802.11ac, and the PS4 doesn't even support 5GHz 802.11n.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Has anyone heard of the Tango pc? If so I have a few questions And I can't think of anywhere else they'd be more appropriate in. If not the link:

the indiegogo campaign

I was wondering if the tango would be able to live up to its campaign's promises. Also how durable and problem free would such a system be? And how much of a scam do you think this is?

Also the specifications direct from the campaign:

"Processor

AMD A6-5200 Quad Core 2GHz, up to 25 watts, with integrated GCN GPU HD8400

Memory

SODIMM DDR3-1600 socket x1 (from 2GB to 8GB). Laptop RAM

Storage

SATA III mSATA SSD Socket x1. (from 32GB to 512GB or higher)"

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Waiting for more informed technical input, but 30 seconds of page view screams bullshit on at least one front. That does not bode well, and the argument could/should be made that one instance of bullshit alone is enough to ruin they with burden of proof:

No way does an HD8400 drive 1080p of game glitz like that.

Unless, they assume their target audience is buying lovely 720p panels and wall-mounting them in a "fancy, modern digital livingroom wonderland!" (my quote).

Or, they just desperately want to oversell their concept through trickery to the foolish.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sivores posted:

Has anyone heard of the Tango pc? If so I have a few questions And I can't think of anywhere else they'd be more appropriate in. If not the link:

the indiegogo campaign

I was wondering if the tango would be able to live up to its campaign's promises. Also how durable and problem free would such a system be? And how much of a scam do you think this is?

Also the specifications direct from the campaign:

"Processor

AMD A6-5200 Quad Core 2GHz, up to 25 watts, with integrated GCN GPU HD8400

Memory

SODIMM DDR3-1600 socket x1 (from 2GB to 8GB). Laptop RAM

Storage

SATA III mSATA SSD Socket x1. (from 32GB to 512GB or higher)"

The AMD A6-5200 Quad Core 2GHz CPU is a 6 month old processor for netbooks. A typical review of it says "The A6 5200 is best suited for laptops and notebooks which are expected to be able to handle everyday tasks- like Office, Internet browsing, and even older and less-demanding games- however more recent games may prove to be a challenge to this processor."

So basically, they're trying to sell a netbook-class computer in that package. You'd be better off spending that $340 they're charging for the basic package on an actual netbook or low end laptop, with the same CPU and actually including a display, keyboard, etc.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Install Windows posted:

The Playstation 4 and Xbox One support 802.11ac, as though most higher end phones starting in late 2012 (it might be down to midrange phones by now). Going forward, most things are going to start supporting it.

One of the things it does is handles multiple devices using the same wireless link at once much better, so you don't get as big throughput drops if multple devices are all trying to do things, so it's very good to have once you have compatible devices.

So, most importantly, I wouldn't be able to use it with my 3DS?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 3DS doesn't even support 802.11n. I don't expect any Nintendo devices to ship with 802.11ac support before the end of the decade.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, most importantly, I wouldn't be able to use it with my 3DS?
Let's be clear about the difference between "use" and "get full benefits of." All Wireless-AC routers I've seen on the market are backwards compatible with all but the oldest Wireless-B-only devices. You will get some degree of improvement on all compatible devices, with 5Ghz Wireless-N devices getting the most, and Wireless-AC devices getting the full benefits the router has to offer. The Nintendo 3DS for example seems to support 2.4Ghz Wireless-G with WPA2 encryption, so should work just fine, though it wouldn't see that much improvement due to the Wireless-AC technologies. If you buy a better router with better antennas you will get improvements no matter what.

For the 5Ghz band specifically you're going to find support on nearly all laptops, modern smartphones (I think it's trickled down through the midrange), and some wireless cards. It's been treated as a high-end feature for awhile. However, remember that even if you only move a few devices to 5Ghz that will improve performance for the remaining 2.4Ghz-only devices. In many areas it's hard to get decent performance due to congestion on 2.4Ghz so moving as much to 5Ghz as you can is your best bet.

For the best wireless performance you can get you can invest in a router like the Asus RT-AC66-series. They are expensive, but deliver excellent throughput with even older 2.4Ghz Wireless-G-only devices.

Also, do make sure you're using the best available wireless channel. Figuring out which channel is the least noisy and moving there can make a big difference.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
My Asus Radeon R7 260X runs 30-38c while idling. I know nothing about video cards and I just built this system. Is this too high/is it defective or am I just being paranoid about things I know nothing about? Thanks

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

drat NIGGA posted:

My Asus Radeon R7 260X runs 30-38c while idling. I know nothing about video cards and I just built this system. Is this too high/is it defective or am I just being paranoid about things I know nothing about? Thanks

That's fine. The max temp is what matters. Unlike CPU's, GPU's can tolerate up to ~100C consistently (although if you were hitting that on the reg, you'd probably have some issues) and around 60-80C is pretty normal for most newer cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

drat NIGGA posted:

That's pretty cool. No problem with that. Only get a bit uncomfortable if under load it's 85+, but that's a custom cooler card with a low-ish end GPU, so I imagine it will run fairly cool under load.

• Locked thread