Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Depends on which format you can win more consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

What limited format represents better value right now? Do I want 50% BNG packs from sealed or 33%BNG packs in draft?

Besides what was said above, Thoughtseize alone means that Theros blows BNG out of the water from a EV perspective. Outside of 3 or so mythics, BNG is pretty much a wasteland for value.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A big flaming stink posted:

Besides what was said above, Thoughtseize alone means that Theros blows BNG out of the water from a EV perspective. Outside of 3 or so mythics, BNG is pretty much a wasteland for value.

But Wasteland is worth loads! :rimshot:

Yeah, figured as much, going over the numbers it's not worth improving the odds of a Brimaz or Kiora against Thoughtseize and Elspeth.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seriously just consider your entry a sunk cost and plan on recouping your EV through winnings. Unless you're playing an obscene amount of times on MTGO or whatever its not even worth worrying about it because opening value is so relatively rare, instead of worrying about something you have no control over, focus on what you can and play tight, win packs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Did someone say Foglio?

Single best card art in all of Magic.

Not even the best Foglio art.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
For those of you that really wants Rebecca Guay art you can kickstart the $70 reward on her kickstarter. It sucks that she doesn't do any more art on Magic, she would probably draw an amazing gorgon :(

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The Richard Kane Ferguson advantage is you can run 4x Force of Will, 4x Dissipate, and 4x Boomerang which is actually the backbone of a decent deck.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Got it thanks!

BNG is so close to feeling like Fallen Empries to me that the only thing they need is to have 4 different artworks for each card. And then massively overprint the set like it was a Pokemon card set.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 9, 2014

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Smashing Link posted:

The Richard Kane Ferguson advantage is you can run 4x Force of Will, 4x Dissipate, and 4x Boomerang which is actually the backbone of a decent deck.

Terese Nielson did Force of Will.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Ahh you're right. It just looks like RKF with the bright reds and yellows.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I can see why they wouldn't want Phil Foglio, even if I do love his comics, but why did they decide to drop Kaja? She loving nailed it in nearly every piece she did for them, it seems.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's possible a lot of the early artists just peaced out when they changed to straight payment instead of royalties. I don't think they ever clearly say why an artist is or isn't making art anymore for them.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Today to get your Hero's Path #5 you need to do another one of those poster puzzles and tell them the right answer. I'm not 100% sure but based on Google the clue on the Born of the Gods poster translates to 2UG and the answer is Kiora, the Crashing Wave.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Punisher chat from a few pages back got me wondering: have any punisher cards ever seen non-trivial constructed play?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Punisher chat from a few pages back got me wondering: have any punisher cards ever seen non-trivial constructed play?

Skullscorch saw some for a little bit during Odyssey block but nothing really major.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Froghammer posted:

Depends on your definition. Some of the more powerful spells in Magic have had your opponent make some choices about how the spell works. It's just that FoF or Intuition or whatever let you shape that choice way more than 'pure' punishers. Going through "opponent chooses" and "any player may" searches on Gatherer doesn't find me any of those full on punisher spells which I recognise as having been played nontrivially.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sacrifice-based removal spells, like Cruel Edict, are basically punisher cards with very low variance between the modes.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 9, 2014

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Froghammer posted:

Depends on the variance between the modes. Edicts/Intuition/Non targeted discard have all been constructed viable, because the options are fairly similar and/or repetition gives your opponent less options.

The more the options are different, the more the card has to be pushed, and the traditional "punisher" mechanic of life loss would require pushing more than WOTC has traditionally done. It's not impossible theoretically for a Vexing Devil style card to see play, but it probably needed to burn your opponent for 5.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Funnily enough, Longhorn Firebeast does that, but its only a 3/2 for 3.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

In what situation would anybody ever let this do five damage to them o.O

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chorocojo posted:

People who think Vexing Devil is particularly bad, take note.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chorocojo posted:

The fact that it saw no play ever, even in Pauper, is illustrative. It's a wimpy 3/2 except in situations that a 3/2 could get a couple attacks in, and when that comes up your opponent simply kills it. Vexing Devil can be good in burn decks because both modes are above the curve, Longhorn Firebeast is simply weaker than a Spur Grappler.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Kilazar posted:

BNG is so close to feeling like Fallen Empries to me that the only thing they need is to have 4 different artworks for each card. And then massively overprint the set like it was a Pokemon card set.

I have a feeling that you never actually played when FE was legal in Standard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
To add to the discussion about which punisher spells have seen play, Molten Influence was a bit of a sideboard card. Browbeat is probably the classic punishment spell that came closer to the cusp of playability than most, but I think even in its day most people decided it wasn't worth it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

To add to the discussion about which punisher spells have seen play, Molten Influence was a bit of a sideboard card. Browbeat is probably the classic punishment spell that came closer to the cusp of playability than most, but I think even in its day most people decided it wasn't worth it.

Since you're the first person I've ever seen mention Molten Birth, I have to confess that I used that card all the time in middle school to counter non-instant/sorcery spells. No one ever called me on it, for whatever reason.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So mono blue, with no new cards from BNG, won the SCG Open. I think, with how powerful the deck is, we'll see Drown in Sorrow main deck in Black lists, cutting back on Rats. We're already seeing Pack Rats dropping to 2-3 copies this weekend, and I think we'll see singleton or no MD copies soon.

There's only a couple things the Drown can't kill from Mono Blue (Frostburn, Nightveil, Thassa, evolved Cloudfin) but being able to kill Tidebinders, unevolved Cloudfins, Judge's Familiar, and of course Master of Waves makes for great value main. Being able to deal with tokens, RG Monsters' devotion enablers, and mana dorks will warrant it a slot main.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I didn't realize Amy Weber had done a single card that wasn't total poo poo.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So Mono Blue got 2 Top 8s for SCG Open, including winning the whole thing. BBD's Bant Walkers almost made top 8 but lost the last match to Adrian Sullivan's UW control. Not sure how CVM did. Brad's burn deck got a terrible 180th+.

WotC coverage is back, Mihara's deck still seems really good. Needs a meta game tweak of the numbers, I'd probably move it to a more controlling shell. Aww he just lost to mono black pack rat spam. :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I'm not sure how much play it actually saw, but I know there were people who used Book Burning targeting themselves to get instant threshold.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mehall posted:

I'm not sure how much play it actually saw, but I know there were people who used Book Burning targeting themselves to get instant threshold.

Unless the opponent takes 6 to stop you from reaching threshold :yum:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mehall posted:

But if the other player doesn't have a Book Burning in their collection, they take six! :laugh:

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Balon posted:

So mono blue, with no new cards from BNG, won the SCG Open. I think, with how powerful the deck is, we'll see Drown in Sorrow main deck in Black lists, cutting back on Rats. We're already seeing Pack Rats dropping to 2-3 copies this weekend, and I think we'll see singleton or no MD copies soon.

There's only a couple things the Drown can't kill from Mono Blue (Frostburn, Nightveil, Thassa, evolved Cloudfin) but being able to kill Tidebinders, unevolved Cloudfins, Judge's Familiar, and of course Master of Waves makes for great value main. Being able to deal with tokens, RG Monsters' devotion enablers, and mana dorks will warrant it a slot main.

I think people were cutting back on rats precisely because of BB and Drown in Sorrow. In my experience the Mono-U matchup would be almost impossible for Mono-B without pack rats, and if Mono-U remains the deck to beat then Pack Rats will probably never go away completely in the main. Realistically if you've got a rat in your opening hand on the play there just isn't much Mono-U can do to race it unless they can overload a Rift asap. The only place Rats aren't going to be as amazing now are in the mirror, but I'm not entirely convinced that Mono-B makes up enough of the competitive meta to justify cutting Rats from the main. In the mirror you'd probably want to board them out game 2, but boarding them back in game 3 might even be a viable strategy since all the removal that's great against rats is terrible against everything else in the deck.

edit: On a somewhat related note, I haven't had a chance to look at any coverage yet, but how did R/G monsters perform? Any decent finishes? Aside from Mono-B it was the established deck that looked to gain the most from this new set so I'm curious to see if anyone ended up running it with any success.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 9, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Apparently GP Richmond is going to be big. I tried to reserve a hotel today, downtown is almost entirely booked. The hotel with SCG rates downtown is completely booked. Wish I had done it when I pre-registered. Sigh.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I think people were cutting back on rats precisely because of BB and Drown in Sorrow. In my experience the Mono-U matchup would be almost impossible for Mono-B without pack rats, and if Mono-U remains the deck to beat then Pack Rats will probably never go away completely in the main. Realistically if you've got a rat in your opening hand on the play there just isn't much Mono-U can do to race it unless they can overload a Rift asap. The only place Rats aren't going to be as amazing now are in the mirror, but I'm not entirely convinced that Mono-B makes up enough of the competitive meta to justify cutting Rats from the main. In the mirror you'd probably want to board them out game 2, but boarding them back in game 3 might even be a viable strategy since all the removal that's great against rats is terrible against everything else in the deck.

edit: On a somewhat related note, I haven't had a chance to look at any coverage yet, but how did R/G monsters perform? Any decent finishes? Aside from Mono-B it was the established deck that looked to gain the most from this new set so I'm curious to see if anyone ended up running it with any success.

I think Mono Black will start running its removal suite main again. We're seeing control lose momentum with only 1 copy making T8 and 3 making T16. Mono Blue is facing this resurgence in strength and popularity since it doesn't have to adapt to the new set at all, so packing the board wipes to set their devotion counts back is going to be paramount. We'll see Rats move to the board and Ultimate Prices and Drowns move to main.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Apparently GP Richmond is going to be big. I tried to reserve a hotel today, downtown is almost entirely booked. The hotel with SCG rates downtown is completely booked. Wish I had done it when I pre-registered. Sigh.

Yikes, I better get on it.

So, Andrew Shrout is on-camera playing Death and Taxes, as usual. What is unusual is that he is playing W/b with Scrublands for Zealous Persecution. I know TNN is a beating but... that seems wrong, right? Whenever I see that deck play there is always a game or two where it just can't draw colored mana and opening yourself up to Wasteland seems super bad.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

So, Andrew Shrout is on-camera playing Death and Taxes, as usual. What is unusual is that he is playing W/b with Scrublands for Zealous Persecution. I know TNN is a beating but... that seems wrong, right? Whenever I see that deck play there is always a game or two where it just can't draw colored mana and opening yourself up to Wasteland seems super bad.

Decks that play Wasteland are usually good matchups for Death and Taxes, except Merfolk, which beats Death and Taxes by tapping a Wasteland and two Islands to cast TNN. I think going with Scrublands to beat TNN is a good call in this metagame. Is that his only black card, though?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

But if the other player doesn't have a Book Burning in their collection, they take six! :laugh:

Yeah, I remember that story.

I remember so many of the old stories. I feel like Old Man Mehall when I tell people about why they printed rear end Whuppin' and Chaos Confetti after the appropriate urban mtg myths.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AgentSythe posted:

Wouldn't Runed Halo be another option for White decks that can't defend well against TNN?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boxn posted:

Wouldn't Runed Halo be another option for White decks that can't defend well against TNN?

No, because the TNN can still block.

gently caress it, Wizards should print a spell with "Choose a creature. Target opponent gains control of this spell. Exile that creature."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I didn't see a decklist and I wasn't listening that closely because Osyp's voice makes me want to punch myself in the dick, but it was the only one I saw or remember hearing.

I guess I'd have to play it out. I see a lot of games where D&T has its own plays restricted by just not drawing Plains, and having a Plains that can get easily blown up can't help. Maybe that version will pick up some traction and we can see some results one way or the other. You're right that it is a good idea, but that deck just can't do anything about TNN otherwise.

• Locked thread