Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

My friends who don't play video games at all or look at what's on the charts played the poo poo out of flappy bird before I even heard about it. It was just word of mouth and went viral. I don't think there's anything suspicious about it at all.

In a world where everyone is chasing to become the next big hit this guy kinda stumbled into making one and got some crazy harassment. You gotta feel for the guy, not everyone is equipped to deal with all this constant bullshit.

I made some dumb YouTube video that I expected to get like 10 views from goons and then promptly forgotten, and last time I checked it was at 13k. That brings in too much bullshit in the comments for me to handle, and if it hadn't slowed down I would have set the thing to private and pretended it never happened. This guy is dealing with magnitudes more poo poo than I could ever dream of, and I completely believe that he's becoming a depressed wreck, who just wants it all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Regarding Warhammer Quest, the app kept crashing after quests/dungeons. Finally one of the crashes deleted my save file. I haven't played since then. Is there any way to try and get my save file back?

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Pomp posted:

I made some dumb YouTube video that I expected to get like 10 views from goons and then promptly forgotten, and last time I checked it was at 13k. That brings in too much bullshit in the comments for me to handle, and if it hadn't slowed down I would have set the thing to private and pretended it never happened. This guy is dealing with magnitudes more poo poo than I could ever dream of, and I completely believe that he's becoming a depressed wreck, who just wants it all gone.

God drat. Pick a new twitter account & problem solved. He can still collect his estimated 50,000 dollars a day.
Talk about #FirstWorldProblems

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

caboodle posted:

God drat. Pick a new twitter account & problem solved. He can still collect his estimated 50,000 dollars a day.

Yeah, exactly. Its not hard to reset your email/phone/twitter/facebook these days. I think your family will understand when they see success.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

caboodle posted:

I posted this on r/iosgaming, but it fits well here too:

quote:

I think it's naive to assume it was only social media pressure that lead to this. Asian culture in that part of the world is difficult for westerners to understand because it's so totally opposite of how things are in the USA. In Korea, for instance, it's basically drilled into your skull from birth to assimilate into the culture, not stand out, or necessarily be exceptional in any way. I've got Korean friends who have surprisingly successful startups, but they're still looked down upon by their family for not being in a "respectable" corporate position where you go work in an office and wear a suit every day.

Vietnam isn't a wealthy country, and while we don't really know much about Dong Nguyen's every day life, you can see a lot of his personality in how he responded to every tweet to him up until recently, even people making GBS threads on him. It wouldn't surprise me if in the real world he was experiencing something similar to what lottery winners in the USA see: Suddenly every fourth cousin twice removed is your best friend and needs money. In a poor country like Vietnam, this disparity is only further exasperated.

For all we know, it wasn't just Twitter that was ruined for him. Perhaps he couldn't just remove himself from social media, as it's entirely possible he's lost all and any escapes from the popularity in the real world as well. The need to be rich and famous is strong in the western world, but most other regions in the world are filled with people who just want to live a happy, uncomplicated life.

Flappy Bird was doing the exact opposite for him.

How would you like it if you were some dude with a simple life that everyone in your town now knows you as someone who is rich and famous, when you've been trained to not stand out? My own mother asked me about Flappy Bird yesterday, that's how much of a splash the game has had. My barely computer literate mother who only follows the most high level of mainstream media and local TV news knows about Flappy Bird.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pomp posted:

As someone with a few hundred thousand views on YouTube I have seen an incredible amount of stupid comments from my viewers, mostly about my choice of instrumental background music. You know what I did? Turned off email notifications about comments and moved the gently caress on. If you can ignore the stupidity of the general public, don't put stuff out there for them to consume.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Have you seen those shows about people winning the lottery? People react in awful ways to overnight success, I wouldn't be surprised if it's affected his life beyond Facebook and Twitter.

edit- beaten, even on the lottery thing!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If he can't deal with it he should take it down, and that's exactly what he's doing, so I don't see the issue. The American Dream doesn't apply to him because he's not an American. He can do whatever he wants. Judgement-free.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's probably not hard to make a new twitter, but it's not like he's going to be able to keep it entirely secret. He wants to talk about his games and stuff, so there's no way people aren't going to find it and go back to being poo poo just because it's a different name. If all he ever wanted to do was tweet about his lunch, fine, but it's not like this poo poo is ever going away.

And it's probably pretty easy to say you shouldn't put yourself out there if you can't handle it, but that's loving stupid because firstly, there's not really any way of gauging how poo poo it will be, and you probably don't know exactly how much you can take. It's got to be much easier to say "I can take a few thousand people telling me to go gently caress myself" but when it's hundreds of thousands and it's actually happening, it's going to be a very different experience. And gently caress you if you think that because someone can't handle being told to kill themselves a thousand times a day they shouldn't create something.

Pulling it down and waiting for everyone to forget him is honestly just about the best thing he can do.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Apparition posted:

Once you delete it from your phone you can no longer redownload it unless it's on your computer in itunes.

Strangely not true, in some cases -- I know the old, fan made adaptation of the Dominion card game was pulled from the App Store AGES ago but I was able to redownload it from my "purchased" tab just recently.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

MooCowlian posted:

And it's probably pretty easy to say you shouldn't put yourself out there if you can't handle it, but that's loving stupid because firstly, there's not really any way of gauging how poo poo it will be, and you probably don't know exactly how much you can take.

Additionally, when you consider the number of apps on the App Store, the rate of which that number grows on a daily basis, and the limited number of slots in any of the top lists, it's of greater statistical probability that you'll get struck by lightning in your lifetime than have an app randomly get to #1. It's totally reasonable to assume that you can upload some mini game to the App Store and the only people who will download it are the few friends you tell to. The path of logic that you shouldn't put something on the App Store if you don't want it to be a worldwide viral sensation that changes your life is crazy. It's that same expectation that has made the iOS developer community so hilariously jealous and toxic at the sign of any success that isn't their own.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Someone literally told me about flappy bird about 45 minutes after it had been removed. I'm sure there's a way to sideload it onto android?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone with a few hundred thousand views on YouTube I have seen an incredible amount of stupid comments from my viewers, mostly about my choice of instrumental background music. You know what I did? Turned off email notifications about comments and moved the gently caress on. If you can ignore the stupidity of the general public, don't put stuff out there for them to consume.

My point is, not everyone likes attention, or is cut out for fame. A lot of people just want to tinker around and make things for themselves or friends, and straight up don't like it when others take notice. It's less about the lovely things people say, and more that it's being said in the first place - blocking people and notifications doesn't stop the knowledge that the attention and commentary is there.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
So I just bought WH Quest and am struggling w/ the inventory. If I have my rotation locked, is there any way for me to get into/out of my inventory? Somehow I managed to get into it once (with it on lock) but I couldn't get out. Also, any advice before I get into this game?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

io_burn posted:

It's that same expectation that has made the iOS developer community so hilariously jealous and toxic at the sign of any success that isn't their own.

I was with you all the way until this part. What are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about devs making GBS threads on Flappy Birds. The only criticism I've seen of the game is people asking (probably good) questions about the shady nature of its App Store reviews.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://twitter.com/EliLanger/timelines/432588181611892736

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

UncleSmoothie posted:

I was with you all the way until this part. What are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about devs making GBS threads on Flappy Birds. The only criticism I've seen of the game is people asking (probably good) questions about the shady nature of its App Store reviews.

Blue Cloud Solutions is a shovelware cheerleading site. Their complaints about Flappy Bird's success is the sourest of grapes and nothing else. They'd murder puppies on live TV for that success.

Look at some of their articles:
http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/category/articles/

"how to buy and sell source code" and "why you should reskin apps". It's basically a site that lauds the virtue of mass producing the same poo poo with different coats of paint while maximizing your return in ways such as making scores load slower so that people spend longer exposed to ads on that screen. Maybe the sudden jump was due to something shady and not just a bunch of people spamming reviews as a joke, but that site's the last one that should bitch about scummy mobile development behavior.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I don't care one way or another about this thing, but I find it entertaining that people care so much about it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I love how lots of people can only see his "internet" life changing. I have a feeling becoming "rich" overnight in a communist country rife with corruption isn't all sports cars and swimming pools.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

UncleSmoothie posted:

It'd be hard to link to too much specifically as most of it was over twitter, but if you follow a lot of iOS developers you'd have seen a never-ending flow of the most sourest of sour grapes-ing over Flappy Bird, the botnet accusations, and so much more. The sentiment in this thread sums it up pretty well: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=218155

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I just heard about Flappy Bird last weekend and haven't bothered to play it, but I'm amazed at the hate this guy is getting. Being involved with social media professionally, I deal with a fair share of idiots, but as a couple other posters have said: you need to learn to tune out the noise. But then again those people are frothing mad at the brand and not me personally.

And I have to hand it to him for responding to so many of the haters. I'm required to because I'm not managing my own property, but he could easily say "gently caress it" and stay quiet. It really wouldn't surprise me if he's throwing in the towel over more than just Twitter hate.

As for the game itself, is there even a good explanation for why you're dodging big pipes that come out of the ground/sky? Why not trees? At a cursory glance it is suspiciously "Mario."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Flappy Birds isn't a good game but that's part of the appeal. It's basically a much more accessible QWOP.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think it's some poo poo he slapped together in 3 hours, never expecting more than ten people to care, rather than intentionally making profits off of Mario's graphics.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its not that hard you just have to keep a rhythm to your taps. To me its kind of relaxing in a way. I got up to 140 today and I barely downloaded the game yesterday. Is it bad? Probably but I play it while listening to music or podcasts.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MooCowlian posted:

Can't these people still play it anyway, as long as theyve already got it on their account? I'm pretty sure I can still get Project 83113 even though it's not on the store any more.
Yeah, just checked. I can get Flappy Bird (and Project 83113) through my "Purchased" tab.

The only thing that's annoying is if a future iOS update breaks the game, but that's a risk you run into with any app if the developer abandons it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Luckily if you need a fix you can find one of the many games in the "helicopter in a tunnel" genre of flash games.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

io_burn posted:

It'd be hard to link to too much specifically as most of it was over twitter, but if you follow a lot of iOS developers you'd have seen a never-ending flow of the most sourest of sour grapes-ing over Flappy Bird, the botnet accusations, and so much more. The sentiment in this thread sums it up pretty well: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=218155

I've only read the first couple of pages but this is hilarious.

:qq: this guy's game sucks and it makes money :qq:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The funniest part is that this is easily the absolute worst rendition of Helicopter ever. Each tap causes way too much vertical movement and tapping shorter doesn't give shorter hops, so you have very little control over the dumb bird.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bottom Liner posted:

The funniest part is that this is easily the absolute worst rendition of Helicopter ever. Each tap causes way too much vertical movement and tapping shorter doesn't give shorter hops, so you have very little control over the dumb bird.

It's not even a helicopter too! :colbert:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

I actually enjoy the challenge, and once I got the hang of it, I made it to 155 score rather easily. I'm sure I can do better too.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My favorite part is all of the people swearing that he scammed the system and put up fake reviews and poo poo to make it #1, but once he decides to pull it they're all like "obviously it's just a marketing ploy, he'll be back soon enough!", despite no evidence whatsoever that this is a likely outcome. It really is like conspiracy theory poo poo, as soon as something seems like their theory doesn't hold up, they just keep making more excuses.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, there seems to be a "rare Flappy Bird" iPhone selling on eBay for $650. Seriously, I can't even handle this nonsense.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Now I know why you fuckers are talking about threes so goddamned much

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

So, there seems to be a "rare Flappy Bird" iPhone selling on eBay for $650. Seriously, I can't even handle this nonsense.

Searching ebay for "Flappy Bird" is pretty funny.

Heres a sale where someone is selling a high score screenshot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flappy-Bird-258-Screenshot-/181317211892?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a375916f4

Somebody selling the "Game file" for $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flappy-Bird-for-iphone-ipad-android-/121272906426?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item1c3c6db2ba

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

SpookyLizard posted:

Now I know why you fuckers are talking about threes so goddamned much

Got my wife playing and now I can't use the iPad. poo poo's real good.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone know enough about the state of things in Vietnam to know whether or not the Flappy Bird dude would actually be in danger suddenly becoming so rich/famous? I've seen quite a few comments on Reddit and in other places mentioning some kind of Vietnamese mafia potentially kidnapping his whole family now that they know he has money. I'd hate to make any assumptions on this, especially with how pervasive the whole "Anything that isn't the USA is a third world crime ridden hell hole" so many people have.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I am loving awful at Threes! despite this being my favorite game I've played in a long time, how do I not suck at this game.

Right now my strategy is basically just check what is the next block that is coming in, and then move accordingly. If there's a red tile on the bottom and a blue tile is coming in, I'll move up. If a white tile is coming in, I'll try to move it towards 3s or 6s or whatever.

Oh my god I am absolute poo poo at this game I can barely break 1000 help me.

edit: OH MY GOD I GOT A 192 BLOCK

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2014

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
THREEESSSSSSSSSS

My scores top out around 3.5K, I haven't managed to put two 192's together yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

io_burn posted:

Anyone know enough about the state of things in Vietnam to know whether or not the Flappy Bird dude would actually be in danger suddenly becoming so rich/famous? I've seen quite a few comments on Reddit and in other places mentioning some kind of Vietnamese mafia potentially kidnapping his whole family now that they know he has money. I'd hate to make any assumptions on this, especially with how pervasive the whole "Anything that isn't the USA is a third world crime ridden hell hole" so many people have.

Tough call between Nintendo issuing a C&D over similar pipes and the Vietnamese mafia homing in on a guy making a few g's in a "communist country". Halliburton may have made an offer to buy him out and then resorted to Plan B when he declined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Gdp per capita in Vietnam is tiny he did make a pretty dece amount of money by comparison. But if the mob threatens to kidnap your family the solution is pay them not pull your app. Dude's doing his own thing and its not a big deal.

• Locked thread