Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It also depends on the reader. If someone would ask me and they're just interested in good characters, setting and plot I'd probably recommend Player of Games, but if I knew they're literature buffs and experienced in reading more complicated works with regards to narrative, allegory, etc, then I might recommend Use of Weapons.

It depends as much on the novel as it does on the reader, so there's no simple answer.

Tony, I'm very much looking forward to reading what you think of the next Culture novel you're going to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, I went in order and read Consider then Player then Weapons and it did me no harm. I think it depends entirely on the reader and as such a blanket commandment one way or the other is as likely to fail as to be useful.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Since a reader going in has no idea which book is a good fit for them and we don't have any idea about the traits of the reader you might as well go with the intro that most people think fits best.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The best thing to do is say something like "general consensus is that any of these 3 books is a decent starting place for different reasons. Here's a 1 sentence synopsis of each one so you can decide"

EDIT: Something like this.
-------------
The Culture novels aren't a sequential series, but more a collection of novels all taking place in the same universe. As such, you can read them in any order without missing much (except a couple of back-references, cameos, and details about the universe). Each of the following 3 books are considered to be good starting points in the Culture universe:
  • Use Of Weapons - Many (including Banks himself) consider this to be the best Culture novel. It uses a fairly complex alternating POV/Timeline structure, which can be disorienting to a reader who is trying to learn about the Culture at the same time.
  • Player of Games - This one is a pretty straightforward story that takes place inside the Culture. You get a great view of what the Culture is all about, the universe it abides in, and a pretty enjoyable story too!
  • Consider Phlebas - This was the first Culture novel written and is a pretty good action novel. However, most of it is from an outsider's POV of the Culture and its ending is considered pretty weak.
---------------

syphon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Agreed. Just saying "Read This first and not That" isn't helpful. Saying "here's why you might want to start with this book, here's why you might want to start with that one, and here's why you might want to start with this other one" is.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

syphon posted:

The best thing to do is say something like "general consensus is that any of these 3 books is a decent starting place for different reasons. Here's a 1 sentence synopsis of each one so you can decide"

EDIT: Something like this.
-------------
The Culture novels aren't a sequential series, but more a collection of novels all taking place in the same universe. As such, you can read them in any order without missing much (except a couple of back-references, cameos, and details about the universe). Each of the following 3 books are considered to be good starting points in the Culture universe:
  • Use Of Weapons - Many (including Banks himself) consider this to be the best Culture novel. It uses a fairly complex alternating POV/Timeline structure, which can be disorienting to a reader who is trying to learn about the Culture at the same time.
  • Player of Games - This one is a pretty straightforward story that takes place inside the Culture. You get a great view of what the Culture is all about, the universe it abides in, and a pretty enjoyable story too!
  • Consider Phlebas - This was the first Culture novel written and is a pretty good action novel. However, most of it is from an outsider's POV of the Culture and its ending is considered pretty weak.
---------------

[*]Use Of Weapons - Many (including Banks himself) consider this to be the best Culture novel. It uses a fairly complex alternating POV/Timeline structure, which can be disorienting to a reader who is trying to learn about the Culture at the same time. Much of this book is metaphor and allegory, some have reported frustration with it's style. You will be dropped into the middle of the setting with this book and then have a number of arcs competing for your attention, eventually almost every chapter will be from a completely different perspective and time. If you just want to dip your toe in and taste the universe, this might not be for you, while if you've read a stack of scifi and feel up to the 'challenge' then you may love it. Be warned however, there are safer first book options.

The reason I say this is because the 'complex alternating POV/Timeline structure' is what is in the Banks OP and I read that and thought - yeah, ok.. but it didn't communicate to me what I really needed to know. UoW is an impressive book, there is no doubt.. perhaps you can also put in a bit more about UoW's praises (long descriptive passages with often 'literary' style sentence structure and vocabulary, humor that is some of the best the genre has to offer, some pew pew scenes that are really cool despite it not being the book's focus, a main character that is almost incomprehensibly complex and interesting). There is just a lot going on with UoW so I'd personally say more about it than just that one sentence.

Also, put Player of Games first on the list. It's generally accepted here that is the usually the first one to read and putting it later on the list belies that. If you thought UoW was the greatest thing you've ever read and it should be first.. that's cool, but I'm more trying to think in terms of what the majority of readers would appreciate first and more importantly hook them in to reading all the Culture books which, of course, will lead to UoW.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 14, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I started with Excession, then Look to Windward, then Inversions. I didn't get to CP, PoG, or UoW until after they got reprinted in the US a couple years after Excession was released.

Didn't have any problems getting into the universe and I'm fine with my read order. :colbert:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I finished Consider Phlebas about a week ago and had no problem getting into it and read it pretty fast. I've been trying to get into Player of Games since but keep getting bored with it and putting it down to read other stuff. Just my two cents.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Basically, start the Culture series wherever you like, they're really good books and are quite different.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Don't overlook The Algebraist. It was the first Iain M. Banks book I read and I regret nothing.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

oTHi posted:

Don't overlook The Algebraist. It was the first Iain M. Banks book I read and I regret nothing.

Same here, but I don't think it is a Culture novel. Not that that should stop anyone from reading it (I thought it was great), just a heads up if anyone picks it up looking for a Culture novel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I about finished with Shards of Honor. It's good, but not great. How does the rest of the saga stack up?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mister Kingdom posted:

I about finished with Shards of Honor. It's good, but not great. How does the rest of the saga stack up?

Honestly, depends on what you want. Read the next two books (the viewpoint shifts after Barrayar to The Warrior's Apprentice), and bail out after that if you aren't impressed. Barrayar is a bit more violent, a bit more political, and ironically a bit less space opera than The Warrior's Apprentice.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

nightchild12 posted:

Same here, but I don't think it is a Culture novel. Not that that should stop anyone from reading it (I thought it was great), just a heads up if anyone picks it up looking for a Culture novel.

Yeah, its a non-Culture standalone novel. It has Gas-giant entities. :kimchi:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

oTHi posted:

Yeah, its a non-Culture standalone novel. It has Gas-giant entities. :kimchi:

Hah I loved the Gas-giant entities. Also I read it as the whole main plot macguffin being essentially an elaborate inside joke which I thought was hilarious once I got to the end.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

oTHi posted:

It was also the first Banks I read, and that stopped me from reading Banks for a couple of years.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiac posted:

It was also the first Banks I read, and that stopped me from reading Banks for a couple of years.

Yeah, I think I'm with you. It's a really rough starting point - while Banks' prose is charming, it takes forever to get anywhere interesting.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I think I prefer the Algebraist over Bank's Culture novels actually. Might be a thematic issue for me though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I think I prefer the Algebraist over Bank's Culture novels actually. Might be a thematic issue for me though.

I'm kind of on the same side. I'm a sucker for stories about mysteries and exploration, so I loved reading about the attempts at communication with the gas giant dwellers. Then all the other stuff happened and I was hooked.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I concur. The Algebraist was probably my favorite book of his. I did enjoy most of the culture books too, but that one stands alone. I love a good space mystery. I guess some smart people saw the reveal coming, but it was a total shock and a "Of course. That makes total sense. Why didn't I think of that", which made it doubly-enjoyable for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Everything is good except for A Civil Campaign.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Casimir Radon posted:

I love the whole series and Civil Campaign is my favorite with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance running a close second.

It really depends on taste.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zola posted:

I love the whole series and Civil Campaign is my favorite with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance running a close second.

It really depends on taste.

Yeah, I too love Civil Campaign, even if - or maybe because - it is somewhat Jane Austen in space. Same with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, although I found it more like the rest of the Vorkosigan saga compared the A Civil Campaign, despite Ivan being the protagonist.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 23, 2014

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I really like the Miles and Ivan courtship stories. It makes me tear up a little bit every time :love:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Hilldiggers by Neal Asher any good? It's the Kindle sci-fi deal of the day and sounds interesting, but it also seems like it's part of a wider series.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Decius posted:

Yeah, I too love Civil Campaign, even if - or maybe because - it is somewhat Jane Austen in space. Same with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, although I found it more like the rest of the Vorkosigan saga compared the A Civil Campaign, despite Ivan being the protagonist.

I think that the problem, ultimately, is the danger of power creep. If the author keeps the series solely about Miles' exploits, then she runs the risk of a male Honor Harrington. The only logical conclusion to power creep would be Miles becoming Emperor which we know is the last thing on earth he wants.

So one way around that is to focus on different aspects of the character, and that's exactly what Bujold did. Civil Campaign was especially hilarious to me because of that Jane Austen vibe, and the spectacle of Miles treating winning his lady like a strategic war mission just made the whole thing funnier--but it was also in keeping with Miles' character.

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance was fun to me because it took that old romantic staple, the accidental marriage, and made a really enjoyable story out of it. I enjoyed that much more than yet another "Intrepid Miles goes out and adds another trophy to his shelf". It's also been very useful to see other people's perspectives on things--it was great to get to know Simon and Ivan's mother a bit better. That kind of thing keeps the story universe fresh, at least for me.

NotYella
Nov 27, 2002
drunk jackass

Chairman Capone posted:

Is Hilldiggers by Neal Asher any good? It's the Kindle sci-fi deal of the day and sounds interesting, but it also seems like it's part of a wider series.

Same universe as the Polity/Spatterjay books, but otherwise unconnected.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

Its ok, as previous poster says standalone in a wider series but if memory serves it explains everything you need to know as it goes along. Fun but forgettable.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Chairman Capone posted:

This is the very last book in the Neal Asher Polity Universe series set thousands of years after Orbus. It's OK, but just OK.

THE NEAL ASHER POLITY BY TIMELINE
The Shadow of the Scorpion
Gridlinked
The Line of Polity
Brass Man
Polity Agent
Line War
The Technician
The Skinner
The Voyage of the Sable Keech
Orbus
Hilldiggers

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

specklebang posted:

This is the very last book in the Neal Asher Polity Universe series set thousands of years after Orbus. It's OK, but just OK.

I'd call it a bit better than ok. It gives the flavor of the Polity Universe, without a lot of the baggage implicit in the rest of the line.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

specklebang posted:

THE NEAL ASHER POLITY BY TIMELINE
The Shadow of the Scorpion
Gridlinked
The Line of Polity
Brass Man
Polity Agent
Line War
The Technician
The Skinner
Orbus
Hilldiggers

I'm suddenly tempted to do a reread of these in chronological order.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

EdBlackadder posted:

I'm suddenly tempted to do a reread of these in chronological order.

Ah, just caught an error. Missed one.

THE NEAL ASHER POLITY BY TIMELINE (COORECTED TO ADD PRADOR MOON)
Prador Moon - not a great book but important to understand the rayther complex Prador who will keep showing up
The Shadow of the Scorpion - Young Agent Cormac
Gridlinked - start Agent Cormac
The Line of Polity
Brass Man
Polity Agent
Line War - End Agent Cormac
The Technician - Stand alone set on Masada - one of the best
The Skinner - Start Spatterjay
Orbus - End Spatterjay. I loved the Spatterjay books most of all
Hilldiggers - Long after all of this, we pick through the wreckage

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Casimir Radon posted:

Just finished Barrayar. Much better than Shards. I'm taking a break from the series and re-reading Asimov's The Caves of Steel and its sequels. It's been a while and I discovered I'd missed a couple of 80s sequels.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
I've kinda run out of Sci Fi books to read. I've read most that have been recommended and interest me. I even trawled the threads of reddit to get some inspiration!

Kinda in a down spot now, I found some really enjoyable ones which I blitzed through (like the Star Force Series by BV Larson).

I decided to read Battlefield Earth again and am liking it after many years. Yeah Hubbard is a cocksucker but I actually really enjoy the book.

Any more like it?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ew, dunno about that, but I'm reading Brave New World because I'd never done it.

It's some really crazy poo poo. If you haven't I'd say it's one of things you should.

It's short too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FX is adapting Redshirts as a miniseries. I really hope they go to the logical conclusion of adapting the novel and make it so that they realize that they're actually on the Redshirts miniseries itself, and have the character actors play themselves as well.

Wil Wheaton also better be in it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Chairman Capone posted:

FX is adapting Redshirts as a miniseries. I really hope they go to the logical conclusion of adapting the novel and make it so that they realize that they're actually on the Redshirts miniseries itself, and have the character actors play themselves as well.

Wil Wheaton also better be in it.

I wonder if they'll change the book's story a little to differentiate it or if it'll just end up a retread of Red Dwarf: Back to Earth and The League of Gentlemen Apocalypse.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Zola posted:

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance was fun to me because it took that old romantic staple, the accidental marriage, and made a really enjoyable story out of it. I enjoyed that much more than yet another "Intrepid Miles goes out and adds another trophy to his shelf". It's also been very useful to see other people's perspectives on things--it was great to get to know Simon and Ivan's mother a bit better. That kind of thing keeps the story universe fresh, at least for me.

I hope for the next book it follows mile's wife. It would be cool to see her do a adventure or his clone working on another crazy rear end project.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My bet for the next book is that it's about Byerly Vorrutyer on Jackson's Whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Kshatryia and Nuovo Brazilia haven't gotten a book yet, even though they get a throwaway mention in pretty much every book. I was pretty disappointed with Cryoburn, didn't care enough about Kibou-Dani, or child-characters.

Could stand for a more physical/kinetic character at some point as well. Maybe Armsman Roic to the fore for a book.

• Locked thread