Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Doomsayer posted:

You can only break the game so much when you're limited to level 1, PHB1. I dunno why that guy was allowed to play something weird like that, but he's one of the officers of the club, I think? I dunno, here's there all the time, I know that. No psionics, warforged, dragonborn, etc. But monster classes are cool, I guess?

Oh, and the official response I got for why there are no psionics? "They're too intimidating to newcomers."

That whole group sounds terrible and you should stop going, but you've made it very clear that you're some kind of weird masochist.

The only really notable story I have in my (very short) tabletop career came last Sunday, when we switched to my buddy's homebrew Ocean Planet Pirates setting using D&D 4e. We started in a tavern, telling IC stories of our characters' pasts, when suddenly a bunch of ghost pirates, wights, and a giant ghost dog busted in. Aside from my goblin Ranger fighting the entire encounter without leaving his chair, it went pretty much as expected. Then the Big Orc Captain came in and we tried to fight him, spent half the session working on him, only to find that we were supposed to lose to him, with everything (literally) being taken by the orc's pirates.

The most notable part of this session, though, was when the "Gun Wizard" (using wands reskinned as guns) decided to cast Acid Arrow at the Orc Captain....

With pretty much the rest of the party surrounding him. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Doc Dee posted:

That whole group sounds terrible and you should stop going, but you've made it very clear that you're some kind of weird masochist.

Yeah pretty much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doc Dee posted:

only to find that we were supposed to lose to him, with everything (literally) being taken by the orc's pirates.
Why do people keep doing this. Where is someone telling people this is ever a good idea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Patience posted:

I just didn't want to kill a baby in game. :(

You need to steal that baby, raise that baby, and then insert that baby back into history in a manner that makes you the God-king of goblindom.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

Why do people keep doing this. Where is someone telling people this is ever a good idea.

I personally don't mind at this point, the DM did warn us that it would be a bit railroady until we got our own boat, which I have a feeling will end up being this guy's boat after we murder him.

Now, if it was EVERY SINGLE GAME then yeah I'd be bored with it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

goatface posted:

You need to steal that baby, raise that baby, and then insert that baby back into history in a manner that makes you the God-king of goblindom.

If you go back in time and stop babby-paladin from growing into adult paladin, you get the XP for adult paladin, right?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
A grognard weighing about 300 pounds with a mullet - yes, a mullet - came in blasting screamo on his iPad at max volume. He walked through the door, watched as people stared at him for what seemed like at least a minute or so, then turned it down and casually kept on walking with a huge smile on his face.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Splicer posted:

Years of bad video games where this is a terrible plot hook.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's okay to have it as a potential outcome, as in, have a plan wherein 'If the party loses this fight, they're taken captive instead of killed and have to find a way to break out' is one possible way the fight could go. The important thing is also to plan for 'what happens if they kill the hell out of the guy I thought there was a high chance they'd lose to'.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Every encounter should have an interesting success or failure to it (even if you discover it in play). Otherwise, why zoom in on it? You might as well have a skill check about doing laundry or walking the dog.

Doomsayer, either fish or cut bait. Start your own group or don't, but you're not the victim anymore if you keep going. You're recreating the "Goon trapped in a well" story beat by beat.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Doomsayer posted:

Alright I chose the last option, filled up a Big Gulp with rum and coke, went to go play some 3.5. (I actually went last week and a fellow goon got me into a decent-but-not-incredible World of Darkness game that went reasonably well, but they weren't playing this week) I brought my 1st level utilidruid, built around having a good time and helpin' my bros.

Our adventure began in the city of Hero's Keep, which is apparently a thing since goon friend's module also started there (we tried to get into a game together but that is verboten). We were contacted by a peacekeeper for the local... I dunno, mob boss I guess. He had a job for us, and referred us to a turquoise-haired peacekeeper named Jenny... Officer Jenny.

She told us that a nearby town had been having a problem with "strange reptiles with turtle shells". My response of "So... turtles, then?" was not appreciated.

She gives us the following mission, verbatim: "We need you to get rid of the turtles, but don't let the townsfolk see you hurt them."

Our party consisted of me (a level 1 gnome druid), 2 rogues (level 1 and level 4, forgot their names), and a level 1 (technically) Grey Render fighter. The Grey Render elected to climb on the roof of the carriage for the ride to Vermillion City (yes the town was literally called Vermillion City), and I elected to join him as I had been drinking (both in-game and in real life! :toot:). We got to town and immediately set off in our search.

Fighter: "I climb on the roof of the inn. (He liked roofs)"
Rogues: "We go search the alley behind the hospital."
Me: "I go find the nearest patch of tall grass and wander around back and forth in it."

...the DM gave me a death glare. The two rogues didn't find anything (Grey Render just continued to chill on the roof) so started search elsewhere. I went to go find the gym. The DM said it was just a gym, where they lift anvils. So I lifted anvils for a while.

Finally, the DM tells the rogues they find something!

Rogues: "Hey, there's a hole leading underground in this alley!"
Fighter: "I jump down!
Me: "Hang on a sec, I don't have any thunder or grass magic prepared."

Another glare from the DM. Long story short we climb down and begin killing turtles. They start yelling some stuff about "No please, stop!" and "The humans took our land, we just want it back!" and poo poo, but gently caress that we got a job to do and we're getting paid.

Grey Render and I press forward, I throw down an entangle that basically fills up the whole cave, rendering them all drat near helpless (each turtle had 1HP a piece, but AC as high as a dude in platemail). They can't do much more than 1 damage to us.

The rogues start yelling at us, trying to trip us and grapple us. Neither is successful.

Fighter and I spend over forty turns slowly killing our way through the turtles. There were 25 of them. No swarm rules, no making them a mob. Nope, just roll individually for each turtle. Just me, my wolf companion, and the fighter plinking away at them. Finally we butcher all of them, Grey Render picks up some meat for soup and swipes a couple eggs, then picks up the shades from the lead turtle (just in case you didn't realize this was literally that squirtle episode from the Pokemon cartoon) and gives them to me.

So the good news is, my wolf now has a :krad: pair of tiny shades.

So we leave, find Officer Jenny, and are told our money is back in Hero's Keep. Fighter and I immediately hike off to get our reward.

The rogues stay behind and gather up all the body detritus, drag it in sacks into the police station at night when everyone is gone, and build a literal statuary fountain out of bones and meat.

No, I don't know why.

But I got 450 gold so... :confuoot:

At this point I'm thinking of volunteering to DM because drat, it can't be any worse, right? The good news is, drinking during the games really helped mitigate the terribleness.

These guys sound grognardy and terrible and all but it also sounds like they want to play elfgames a certain way and you will be DAMNED if you let them do that. Maybe just let them have their grogfun and leave them alone?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Golden Bee posted:

Every encounter should have an interesting success or failure to it (even if you discover it in play). Otherwise, why zoom in on it? You might as well have a skill check about doing laundry or walking the dog.

Doomsayer, either fish or cut bait. Start your own group or don't, but you're not the victim anymore if you keep going. You're recreating the "Goon trapped in a well" story beat by beat.

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

J Miracle posted:

These guys sound grognardy and terrible and all but it also sounds like they want to play elfgames a certain way and you will be DAMNED if you let them do that. Maybe just let them have their grogfun and leave them alone?

No you don't understand, this group needs to be convinced of the errors of their ways. If Doomsayer mumbles "Dungeon World" under his breath enough, they'll become model gamers.

In all seriousness though, I wish groups like this wouldn't advertise for new gamers. It's clear they're disinterested in that.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

You just gave me Dwarf Fortress flashbacks in the best way possible.

Edit: Also, Doomsayer, at this point, you should just resign yourself to playing 3.5 with them or not going, because it looks like those are your options.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 10, 2014

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

No you don't understand, this group needs to be convinced of the errors of their ways. If Doomsayer mumbles "Dungeon World" under his breath enough, they'll become model gamers.

In all seriousness though, I wish groups like this wouldn't advertise for new gamers. It's clear they're disinterested in that.

This is kinda key.

Like I don't care if people want to play weird Erotic Dungeons and Dragons or (in this case) Pokemon & Dragons. Free country, to each their own, etc. But if there's any chance of some relatively normal person stumbling into that poo poo, somebody really ought to throw up a sign. Also the random group assignment thing is weird. If I were in that club - and in college, I basically was - I would be pretty miffed if my friends were playing in a rad swashbuckling game next door while I was stuck reliving the Princess Bride or something.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This 'favoritism' thing reads like code for 'people didn't want to play our games, so we're forcing them to', which is even hinkier when coupled with the post-graduation stranglehold some members seem to have on the executive and club rules.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

Also the random group assignment thing is weird. If I were in that club - and in college, I basically was - I would be pretty miffed if my friends were playing in a rad swashbuckling game next door while I was stuck reliving the Princess Bride or something.
From the "favouritism" comment it sounds like they're treating not wanting to play in someone's game as a form of bullying, or wanting to play in the fun games as "unfair" on the people running the less-fun games. I'm guessing someone running unpopular games got pissed off that nobody wanted to play in their (erotic roleplay/dungeons and pokemon/whatever), so they had the rules changed on these grounds to make them.

e: :argh: Bieeardo!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 10, 2014

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Years of bad video games where this is a terrible plot hook.

Excuse me, but Megaman X is one of the greatest video games ever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The first level of Mega Man X ends with your character jobbing to an invincible NPC solely so the super-cool GMPC with a lightsaber can come to your rescue, and even after his dramatic death scene near the end of the campaign the GM can't resist bringing him back for future games.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The first level of Mega Man X ends with your character jobbing to an invincible NPC solely so the super-cool GMPC with a lightsaber can come to your rescue, and even after his dramatic death scene near the end of the campaign the GM can't resist bringing him back for future games.

He didn't have a lightsaber then.

Seriously though, gently caress Zero. The rest of the game was fun.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Mendrian posted:

This is kinda key.

Like I don't care if people want to play weird Erotic Dungeons and Dragons or (in this case) Pokemon & Dragons. Free country, to each their own, etc. But if there's any chance of some relatively normal person stumbling into that poo poo, somebody really ought to throw up a sign. Also the random group assignment thing is weird. If I were in that club - and in college, I basically was - I would be pretty miffed if my friends were playing in a rad swashbuckling game next door while I was stuck reliving the Princess Bride or something.

The Princess Bride is a rad swashbuckling adventure!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Doc Dee posted:

Seriously though, gently caress Zero. The rest of the game was fun.
Correction: gently caress Zero, until he becomes playable.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

The Princess Bride is a rad swashbuckling adventure!

Sure.

To watch. Some sperglord's loving recreation where I play a tertiary character is less about awesome swashbuckling and more about rolling my eyes as a 20+ year old movie is played out at the table with an all - male cast. I'm sure I have one of those fan games in my mental archives somewhere, I'll post one tomorrow when I'm not on a phone.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Noctis Horrendae posted:

A grognard weighing about 300 pounds with a mullet - yes, a mullet - came in blasting screamo on his iPad at max volume. He walked through the door, watched as people stared at him for what seemed like at least a minute or so, then turned it down and casually kept on walking with a huge smile on his face.

Save for the weight, this unfortunately reminds me of one of my players. He's got long-rear end hair that he (I assume) refuses to wash, and a boner that won't quit for Black Metal & the like. When he shows up to play, he's blasting something loud and unintelligible from his laptop. If anyone else had the gall to play music before he got there, he'd amend the problem by sitting next to them and pushing the volume even louder. When they would give up and leave, he would of course smile the douchiest "I win" smile you've ever seen.

In-Game he's no better. He plays the same character no matter what game, right down to the name and motives. Any problem is solved through him trying to intimidate the entire city, and denying that anything in the world could do the same to him. A fight in D&D where he got wounded ended in him describing in vivid detail how he'd desecrate the now-dead assailant's corpse. Our most recent problem with him comes from a recent Shadowrun campaign where he wanted to blow up an overturned car with an ally (read: player character) wounded and trapped in the wreckage. He's currently trying to find an excuse to eat the same player's Fairy assistant alive.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

HebrewMagic posted:

Catpiss the home game.

The real question is why is this guy still one of your players?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

To be completely fair that is literally what happened to me. I was a 3.5 grognard all through high school and refused to do more than scornfully mock a game for stupid plebes like D&D: WoW Edition, then one of my friends in college kept badgering me to try it and then I finally did and never went back. So it is possible!

But yeah I'm mostly doing it because I don't have anything else to do Friday evenings, it starts at 5 and is over by like 8 which is just about when my other friends are ready to go a'drinkin' so v:v:v

If no one wants to hear the stories though that's totally fine, I'll gladly shut up.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

To be completely fair that is literally what happened to me. I was a 3.5 grognard all through high school and refused to do more than scornfully mock a game for stupid plebes like D&D: WoW Edition, then one of my friends in college kept badgering me to try it and then I finally did and never went back. So it is possible!

But yeah I'm mostly doing it because I don't have anything else to do Friday evenings, it starts at 5 and is over by like 8 which is just about when my other friends are ready to go a'drinkin' so v:v:v

If no one wants to hear the stories though that's totally fine, I'll gladly shut up.

Please don't listen to the self-righteous naysayers. I love horror stories. They don't even have to be true, just convince me that they are. :allears:

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Lallander posted:

The real question is why is this guy still one of your players?

Because I'm secretly a masochist, and the migraine I end sessions with turns me on.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

That's three hours you could spend like catching up on a TV series you always wanted to check out or something, in the comfort of your home, sipping a beer/other drink of choice, instead of spending time with grogs and their unwilling associates!

All up to ya, man.

And if you do keep playing with 'em, by all means, keep on posting! poo poo, wish I had some fresh stories of my own, but it's been a while since I actually played. Gotta finally get that low-level Cyberpunk game I've had in the works for a while now going, should have some content then.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Doomsayer posted:

I totally want to hear these amazing stories.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

That's three hours you could spend like catching up on a TV series you always wanted to check out or something, in the comfort of your home, sipping a beer/other drink of choice, instead of spending time with grogs and their unwilling associates!

It's actually the most effective way to pregame! If I sip a beer while watching TV, I get absorbed in the show and the beer just sits and gets warm, 8 o'clock rolls around and I'm dead sober. But if you want to get a really good buzz going, I highly recommend drinking and playing terrible games of 3.5 because it's been scientifically proven there is no faster way to get large amounts of alcohol into your body.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

It's actually the most effective way to pregame! If I sip a beer while watching TV, I get absorbed in the show and the beer just sits and gets warm, 8 o'clock rolls around and I'm dead sober. But if you want to get a really good buzz going, I highly recommend drinking and playing terrible games of 3.5 because it's been scientifically proven there is no faster way to get large amounts of alcohol into your body.

Truer words have never been spoken. I don't even drink and my players sometimes make me reconsider that decision.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doomsayer posted:

gently caress the haters, if you're gonna do it you might as well post about it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yawgmoth posted:

gently caress the haters, if you're gonna do it you might as well post about it.

Yeah, pretty much this. I can't imagine there being a problem if you know it's awful going in, and you embrace it like some sort of MST3K-esque challenge.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. I can't imagine there being a problem if you know it's awful going in, and you embrace it like some sort of MST3K-esque challenge.

Is this basically the LARP version of grog-mining?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I’m running Dungeon World for the first time, and the party is a thief, his brother the paladin of the unicorn god of animals and beauty, and the bard, who wants to make a name for himself writing the paladin’s epic. They recently found a series of crystal caves, like colossal geodes, that are the home plane of the god of lifeless nature, brother to the paladin’s god.

They found a hint about some ‘Eye’ belonging to the crystal diety, and when they reached the bottom of the cave, they found a gigantic hill of quartz with a massive ruby embedded in it. Naturally, the thief had to have it, and talked the paladin into helping him smash through the quartz to get to it.

The paladin cracked through the quartz in a single blow with his sledgehammer, exposing the ruby Eye, and immediately the hill began to rumble and moan - the crystal mound was actually an avatar of sorts of the crystal god, and the paladin was standing on top of it, hitting it in the face. I told him that he needed to defy the very real danger of the avatar pasting him, and he asked to defy danger with Charisma, placating the avatar and volunteering to take the Eye for ‘safe keeping’, to keep it away from thieves. I thought about it, but figured that you can’t fast talk an emotionless earth elemental, and told him to defy danger with a different stat, but he reminded me of one of his magic items: the Cloak of Silent Stars. The Cloak allows the user to, once per stat, use any stat they want to defy danger, even if it makes no sense. With the Cloak, he could try to charm even a relentless force of nature. He rolled, and got a 15 (success is normally anything over 10 on 2d6+stat).

In an even voice, the paladin asked the avatar of a heartless god for his artifact eye, after he had been caught red handed trying to steal it, and the avatar not only gave it to him, but thanked the holy man for protecting it from thieves.

They then left the caves in a different part of the kingdom from where they entered, undertook a perilous journey to get back home, and promptly failed all three rolls for scouting, trailblazing, and conserving rations.

God this game is fun.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Volmarias posted:

I was cracking at the Pokemon references he had going. If I had been one of the other players in that game I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Ahh fate, when you can take four people, only one of who has RPG'd before and end up with a modified plot of Dishonered - only me and my brother, (the RPG player) have played the computer game, and everyone else was stunned when we pointed out what they had brainstormed.

Three sessions in they have gone from not really knowing what they are doing to requesting to play FATE rather than our normal board games, and making up insane plans that sound great in context.
Z
Now they are leading a group of Musketeers (the setting is loosely steam-punk in the French court) in an Zeppelin to capture the incoming canisters containing a deadly plague. Of course, as its the Military who are using the plague to try and start a rebellion against the king (long may she rule), they have just spent a day spreading rumors of the Dread Pirate Nicholas Whitebeard, a new and deadly pirate.

To top it all off, the Engineer has made a steam-powered animatronic pirate to parade up and down the deck of the Airship while shouting from his exceptionally loud loudhailer.

The greatest thing about the campaign is that only one player has any fighting skills, so the only fights they have gotten into have been them desperately trying to either run away or four of them beating on a single person with no effect.

They are coming on well!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That sounds wonderful, yes. Clearly though the answer to their problem is to rig the zeppelin with a crude vacuum-tube-and-phlogisten AI and make the Dread Pirate Roberts Whitebeard their combat pet, with all the convenient portability of being able to aid them in any fight somewhere a Zeppelin can fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Idiot Syncratic posted:

In an even voice, the paladin asked the avatar of a heartless god for his artifact eye, after he had been caught red handed trying to steal it, and the avatar not only gave it to him, but thanked the holy man for protecting it from thieves.

Awesome! The opportunity for awesome storytelling and role playing here cannot be passed up.

Please, please, please tell us that, after the thief went and sold the eye you sic'd the avatar of a heartless god on them for betraying his trust. Nevermind what could and should should happen to the paladin when the god of lifeless nature (a great concept, by the way) tells his brother, the paladin's deity, what's up.

I'm not saying to have the avatar up and paste them or anything. I'm saying there's a great opportunity to have the thief and the paladin called to task for their indiscretions against, you know, gods.

Imagine the rude shock the paladin gets when he gets a visit in a dream from his god saying, "You now owe my brother, the god of lifeless nature, one task to be performed at his discretion."

And the thief automatically fails his next thieving attempt, gets caught and dumped into jail, where he is bailed out by a priest of some kind of the god of lifeless nature who doesn't know why he was to do this only that, "I received a visitation from my god who told me to seek a pardon for you and deliver a message."

Or better yet, give the thief a hidden penalty to all of his thieving rolls and make the thief wonder where the penalty came from. Eventually he might seek out a priest who could divine the truth for him...

And then send them on their next adventure as the geas-ed minions of the god. The tough part is to do it without being railroady about it. You still give the characters free will and agency, but until they agree to perform the task, make all of the palidin's spells do the absolute minimum of any random effect (all healing spells restore 1hp, etc) and the thief gets a -5 piety adjustment to all thieving rolls.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That sounds wonderful, yes. Clearly though the answer to their problem is to rig the zeppelin with a crude vacuum-tube-and-phlogisten AI and make the Dread Pirate Roberts Whitebeard their combat pet, with all the convenient portability of being able to aid them in any fight somewhere a Zeppelin can fit!

Make sure that they manage to put together a battery of carronades on articulated mounts that are slaved to Dread Pirate Whitebeard for serious game-breaking fun! :)

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 11, 2014