Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you irl
Jan 22, 2014
wow crazy end to that event, gj poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, one crash isn't so bad, but several is a worrying sign. I take it the skiis are designed to pop off easily in a crash? I would hopeso anyways, sounds like a good way to twist a leg to shreds otherwise.

Also, where are the Americans? Aren't we the best at everything? :911:

Yes, Skis are designed to pop off at certain points depending on your aggressiveness. So a new skier's skis will pop off super easily, when you get better you tighten your bindings and so you can start doing aggressive turns and some jumps with out them popping out and for things like races and competitions it will take a big failure to make them come off. Sadly this still means if you are at the highest level of competition you'll probably shred your knees.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

you irl posted:

wow crazy end to that event, gj poland

wouldn't the the first pole to crash in Russia.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The Winter Olympics are less 'USA wins everything' and more 'USA looks like its winning then Norwegian casually wins event on way home from work, says 'skol' and goes back to day job'

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I love the name Russki Gorki Jumping Center.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

lenoon posted:

The Winter Olympics are less 'USA wins everything' and more 'USA looks like its winning then Norwegian casually wins event on way home from work, says 'skol' and goes back to day job'

Well yeah those fuckers live and bathe in snow loving weirdos

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

lenoon posted:

With special appearance by Japan as the plucky sidekick.

edit: What happened to China?. Haven't heard that much of them this time around. (Or is it one of those "Putin said no" type things?)

Erghh fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 9, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nordic skiing is the swimming of the Winter Olympics. Bullshit broken out into a bunch of events that the same country wins to pad their totals and make themselves feel good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I missed the women's slopestyle qualifications and finals so I checked NBC's on-demand:

-only has highlights for the finals portion
-can't fast-forward
-standard definition

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
stonerbear

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

turtlecrunch posted:

I missed the women's slopestyle qualifications and finals so I checked NBC's on-demand:

-can't fast-forward
-standard definition

Bet that is all they're gonna show on TV tonight as well. US coverage has been poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Erghh posted:

With special appearance by Japan as the plucky sidekick.

edit: What happened to China?. Haven't heard that much of them this time around. (Or is it one of those "Putin said no" type things?)

I don't think they ever make much of a showing in the Winter Olympics.

They're all about sneaking underaged girls into the gymnastics during the Summer Olympics though I don't see why you couldn't try the same bullshit for ice skating.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bet that is all they're gonna show on TV tonight as well. US coverage has been poo poo.

US coverage is always poo poo, though :(

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Renegret posted:

I don't think they ever make much of a showing in the Winter Olympics.

They're all about sneaking underaged girls into the gymnastics during the Summer Olympics though I don't see why you couldn't try the same bullshit for ice skating.

They've made a big funding push into curling and short track speed skating as of late, as they fit their whole Olympic strategy of "find events people ignore, throw money at it, and see what works"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

turtlecrunch posted:

-can't fast-forward
-standard definition

was i picked on at the olympics? hmm let me think
* Weighed 750 kilograms
* Parents were both Vladimir Putin (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to the opening ceremonies
* Had a wild dog instead of a mouth

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Troy Queef posted:

They've made a big funding push into curling and short track speed skating as of late, as they fit their whole Olympic strategy of "find events people ignore, throw money at it, and see what works"

That reminds me, when is curling. That is one event I don't want to miss live. :allears:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Coverage chart.

Just, no one forget to yell at me BEFORE the CBC puts the closing ceremony coverage up live streaming on their website. Gonna try and capture it- if no one else is!!!!!!!!!!

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 9, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pleads posted:

Nordic skiing is the swimming of the Winter Olympics. Bullshit broken out into a bunch of events that the same country wins to pad their totals and make themselves feel good.

There's like 5,000 gold medals available for variations of 'running faster than everyone else' at the summer olympics

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That reminds me, when is curling. That is one event I don't want to miss live. :allears:

Starts tonight at midnight ET, and yes I can't wait either.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How is the TV coverage in the UK, France and Germany so poo poo?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Meat Recital posted:

Because you touch yourself at night.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Meat Recital posted:

It's not. German TV is showing Olympics all day every day and by that I mean events and not homestories. I have no idea how the US and Canada even get to their numbers.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

NOBEARD posted:

Round 1 had this:

So is all the stray dog frozen poop/rocks on the course that this skier got tangled in considered a 'perk' at Sochi?

Da, free souvenir of nice Olympics at Sochi, you take home!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Why don't they tuck their arms to their chest? Why oh why put your hands straight out? That is not a good reflex to allow yourself to retain. :smith:

Oh, just read post above me; it's to catch souvenirs. I'm sorry, disregard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm intrigued as to what the BBC Online feed is missing, but I'm also too lazy to find a full schedule to compare. There's plenty to watch constantly it seems, if I wanted to get up at 5am each morning (which I don't).

Also : the other Sochi 2014 thread is the Sochi 2014 equivalent of Sochi 2014 threads.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's an American incompetent construction crew demonstrating use of tarp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So is all the stray dog frozen poop/rocks on the course that this skier got tangled in considered a 'perk' at Sochi?

serious post: it's pieces of fern, it helps the jumper's depth perception compared to flat white 'snow'

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The announcers said it was to increase the jumpers' "depth perception". Thought that was what the lines little bits of astroturf/torn off foliage stuck into the ice were for.

e:fb beaten like a Sochi stray

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

you irl posted:

serious post: it's pieces of fern, it helps the jumper's depth perception compared to flat white 'snow'

same reason as the dye on the downhill course too

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
@sochiproblems hasn't tweeted in 24 hours. either sochi is now a wonderland or putin had a couple comrades award the polonium medal

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

These skiiers have nice butts

It's like wearing nothing at all

stupid sexy skiers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lenoon posted:

who is the best at biathlon, i bet it's finland, it sounds like the kind of thing they'd be good at

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Phlegmish posted:

who is the best at biathlon, i bet it's finland, it sounds like the kind of thing they'd be good at

Yeah they'll give some old Russians PTSD flashbacks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

stupid sexy skiers

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

100,000 russian spctators die during biathlon event, putin declares this acceptable loss

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah but they shoot at Medvedev so Putin doesn't mind

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Finland apparently isn't that great at it, getting only a sixth of the medals Germany has at the Olympics. Though per capita that's still pretty drat good, even if the Norwegians beat them handily.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the skiers to start punching and kicking each other when they get bunched up like that. I want to see a fight

I think someone got stabbed with one of those little poles earlier

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
nbc is replaying the women's biathlon: smoking hot babes firing rifles with heart rates at 140, then sprinting another quarter mile before collapsing into the snow gasping for air. SPORT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I want the skiers to start punching and kicking each other when they get bunched up like that. I want to see a fight

I think someone got stabbed with one of those little poles earlier

I always get wide eyed "the gently caress is wrong with you" stares for my sense of humor.

I'd watch sporting events and stuff with you.

You seem like good company.

• Locked thread