Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I always figured Metropolis was supposed to be Chicago since it's the closest major city to Kansas

Back in the 80's at least, Central City was the Chicago analog in DC. At least that's what the old West End RPG lead me to believe. They even had a version of the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

StumblyWumbly posted:

The Boston accent is possibly the ugliest accent around. Most of us who've grown up around here have it in us like some incredible Hulk bullshit that comes out when we get drunk or angry.
Someone hasn't been to Pittsburgh where we have perfected ruining the English language

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

teagone posted:

Gotham is in New Jersey.

I know where it's supposed to be, I just think it makes more sense as Boston or Philly.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

teagone posted:

Gotham is in New Jersey.

gently caress that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clearly someone has never been to Camden, Trenton, or even Newark.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I always figured Metropolis was supposed to be Chicago since it's the closest major city to Kansas

I remember reading something about how Golden Age Metropolis was based off of Toronto.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I always figured Gotham, Metropolis, Keystone, Star City etc always existed in whatever relation to each other the writers wanted drawing from whatever cities the artists thought would look cool. :shrug: Kinda like how Nolan shot in a different city for each Batman movie.

Not that I really follow stuff like the DC Atlas that was mentioned, that's just what I got from a childhood watching the Justice League cartoons n' stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well you're basically right Haitian Divorce, but there's still a semi-official city/cities they're based off of.

In other news, one of my favorite characters finally has a poster:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I know his traditional costume wouldn't have worked on screen, but it would've been nice if the grey panels in the wings were red.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Maybe he'll get a brighter costume if he joins the Avengers

drab makes sense if he starts out as purely a SHIELD operative

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Maybe he'll get a brighter costume if he joins the Avengers

drab makes sense if he starts out as purely a SHIELD operative

I loving knew some rear end in a top hat was going to say this. There's one every time someone criticizes a drab superhero costume. You're not wrong, but come the gently caress on.

That said the costume really does need some metallic or muted white and red added.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm not saying I like it - I don't agree that his classic costume wouldn't work on film, as it's one of the most elegantly straightforward superhero costumes there is - I'm just saying it fits the established trend.

Looks a lot less boring than Hawkeye's movie costume, at least.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

:allears: Man, foreign language poster titles always sound so much cooler than the American versions. Even when they're just translated versions of the American title.

[Edit: Wait, does this mean that Falcon isn't getting an American poster? Or did the foreign versions just get released first?]

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The simple fact that they've managed to make The Falcon look as cool and as plausible as they have is to be commended.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mind the walrus posted:

I loving knew some rear end in a top hat was going to say this. There's one every time someone criticizes a drab superhero costume. You're not wrong, but come the gently caress on.

That said the costume really does need some metallic or muted white and red added.

What, exactly, are you so upset about?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good. And I do think if he makes it into any more movies they'll probably color up his outfit. It seems to be standard procedure to make new costumes for everybody in almost every movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can I be the rear end in a top hat who points out that it's pretty much his Ultimate costume

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Opopanax posted:

Can I be the rear end in a top hat who points out that it's pretty much his Ultimate costume

Yeah, you can be that rear end in a top hat but you're wrong.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I believe that Golden Age Gotham was based off Chicago with all the mob influence and poo poo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There are a lot of good arguments being thrown around about where and what Gotham is. But to me, Gotham will always be a stand in for New York city.

I mean, for the longest time it had it's own version of famous NY landmarks like the Statue of Liberty (Namely the Statue of Justice) and the World Trade Centres (while I can't find them, I think they were called the Gotham Towers or something. The Earth 1 Batman died here in the Pre Crisiis DCU.)

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_City

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's funny to me to think of Batman and Superman as operating primarily in New Jersey and Kansas/Delaware. It just seems like weird places for two of the most iconic heroes ever to hail from.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

Gonna be disappointed if he doesn't yell falcon punch.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

What, exactly, are you so upset about?

You're remarkably literate for someone who apparently can't read. I'm not upset though.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah that's never happening. That's "I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" levels of bad pandering.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that's never happening. That's "I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" levels of bad pandering.

We must forever remember that moment as the time nerds got exactly what they wanted, and it was awful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm campaigning for a monument to be erected by Mann's Chinese Theater, personally, lest we forget :911:

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

You're remarkably literate for someone who apparently can't read. I'm not upset though.

The tone of your post was pretty odd and impenetrable, dude.

Waterhaul posted:

Let's not pretend that Thor didn't luck out with the studios allowing Brannagh to cast Hiddleston as Loki. The film would have sunk without him, or at least the Thor and Loki aspects.

I know it's your thing to act like all the Marvel movies were complete disasters-in-waiting which only achieved box office success due to a series of fortuitous flukes during production, but Thor was actually just a well-made movie for what it was. Marvel/Disney know how to make good decisions that lead to successful movies. I feel like this shouldn't be a controversial statement at this point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If you're making an argument about how a movie is good, don't use the words 'for what it was'.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

speaking of the Falcon, did comics ever figure out whether Sam is a mutant or not?

not that it will matter in the film, for obvious reasons

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Billy Idle posted:

The tone of your post was pretty odd and impenetrable, dude.

Ok, so it's not just me.

Anyway, that Falcon costume looks amazing. Credit to Marvel for taking one of there sillier looking characters and making him work on film. Hopefully he plays a decent sized role in the film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

speaking of the Falcon, did comics ever figure out whether Sam is a mutant or not?

not that it will matter in the film, for obvious reasons

He's not a mutant.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Hopefully he plays a decent sized role in the film.

He probably won't. I've heard rumors that he was originally supposed to play a large role but it got switched with Black Widow instead for various reasons. My guess is he'll come across as a glorified fan of Cap's who only seems there because fans want him to be there.

Dan Didio posted:

He's not a mutant.

Is his origin still a horrific black stereotype where he was a reformed pimp or some poo poo?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Is his origin still a horrific black stereotype where he was a reformed pimp or some poo poo?

He started out as a social worker who was inspired to help people, then Englehart retconned so he was actually a pimp who the Red Skull had brainwashed/altered with the cosmic cube. I don't think many people reference that particular bit anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

That may or may not have been a false memory implanted by the Red Skull. Last I checked he was a social worker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew he had a fairly benign origin that was replaced with something horrifically racist. Good to know it's not referenced anymore.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm going to be disappointed that when he's practicing with the wings some jackass in the testing lab plays "I believe I can fly" :v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm going to be disappointed that when he's practicing with the wings some jackass in the testing lab plays "I believe I can fly" :v:

Robert Downey Jr.'s new contract should be that he appears in every Marvel movie only long enough to make a dismissive joke.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Billy Idle posted:

I know it's your thing to act like all the Marvel movies were complete disasters-in-waiting which only achieved box office success due to a series of fortuitous flukes during production, but Thor was actually just a well-made movie for what it was. Marvel/Disney know how to make good decisions that lead to successful movies. I feel like this shouldn't be a controversial statement at this point.

Okay?

Disney didn't have anything to do with Thor but I was commenting on how Hemsworth isn't a great actor and Marvel lucked out by having an unknown like Hiddleston cast as Loki as he's carried a lot of their films which is pretty evident from the fact that Hiddleston has become one of the most sought after actors while Hemsworth continues to be in mediocre to bad flops outside of Marvel films.

Thor's an alright film, dutch angles and Marvel diluting any importance the film's ending had aside.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What do you mean by Marvel diluting any importance the movie's ending had? It ends with Thor being optimistic about seeing Jane again despite the bridge being broken and while yeah, we all know he's going to see her again per the sequels it's not like the two don't go hand in hand from the outset.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Waterhaul posted:

Okay?

Disney didn't have anything to do with Thor but I was commenting on how Hemsworth isn't a great actor and Marvel lucked out by having an unknown like Hiddleston cast as Loki as he's carried a lot of their films which is pretty evident from the fact that Hiddleston has become one of the most sought after actors while Hemsworth continues to be in mediocre to bad flops outside of Marvel films.

Thor's an alright film, dutch angles and Marvel diluting any importance the film's ending had aside.

Rush was pretty good. I know Cabin in the Woods was filmed before Thor, but that movie was well received while being released after Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

teagone posted:

Rush was pretty good. I know Cabin in the Woods was filmed before Thor, but that movie was well received while being released after Thor.

I thought Rush was pretty mediocre and since I hate everything anyway I really, really hated Cabin in the Woods. Though I had thought neither did particularly well financially.

• Locked thread