Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Guinness posted:

I'm always amazed at how bad people are at updating their address for things after they've moved. I've had numerous instances of receiving kind of important stuff from old tenants for MONTHS after they're gone. Like bank/credit card statements, phone bills, medical records/bills, car insurance, etc.

Like... how do you just neglect that kind of stuff for months on end?

Especially since you only have to fill out one easy form from USPS to forward all your mail. People are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A lot of the time that's the USPS's fuckup, though. I've definitely had them just keep delivering stuff to my old apartment even after I kept paying to change my address. And companies gently caress up plenty too; right now I'm getting tons and tons of a relative's mail -- we don't have the same name or live in the same state, but here it is! :iiam:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I've lived in my house for 7 months and I still get a poo poo ton of mail from the previous owners including all of their tax stuff. I've written "not at this address, return to sender" on so much mail that my mailman had started to passive-aggressively circle "or current resident" on my junk mail. (I only wrote RTS if it looked important - medical bills, student loan companies) I'm tempted to contact their old realtor to pass on the message to fill out change of address forms. It's seriously a LOT of mail and our mailbox is too tiny to fit all the catalogs.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

drat Bananas posted:

I've lived in my house for 7 months and I still get a poo poo ton of mail from the previous owners including all of their tax stuff. I've written "not at this address, return to sender" on so much mail that my mailman had started to passive-aggressively circle "or current resident" on my junk mail. (I only wrote RTS if it looked important - medical bills, student loan companies) I'm tempted to contact their old realtor to pass on the message to fill out change of address forms. It's seriously a LOT of mail and our mailbox is too tiny to fit all the catalogs.

I kept getting debt collection calls at my old cell number. They didn't stop until I told them what I'd found out about the guy they were looking for (I guess I'm a better internet detective than they are). In retrospect they might have been violating some laws; I should have pursued that avenue instead.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Guinness posted:

I'm always amazed at how bad people are at updating their address for things after they've moved. I've had numerous instances of receiving kind of important stuff from old tenants for MONTHS after they're gone. Like bank/credit card statements, phone bills, medical records/bills, car insurance, etc.

Like... how do you just neglect that kind of stuff for months on end?

To be fair most people are receiving upwards of a dozen of things things regularly and it's easy to miss one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

2 years in my place. That mail just goes in the recycle now.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 8, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Our mailman does that too. gently caress that "or current resident" poo poo, should be illegal.

Might as well send catalogs and junk mail to everyone on the country and just say hey too bad!!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How do people get on the junkmail bandwagon? I'm 30, rent, and don't ever get any junkmail specifically addressed to me. Literally never even gotten a credit card offer in the mail.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

blugu64 posted:

How do people get on the junkmail bandwagon? I'm 30, rent, and don't ever get any junkmail specifically addressed to me. Literally never even gotten a credit card offer in the mail.
Forgetting to check/uncheck the "can we spam you with poo poo" boxes when signing up for websites, signing up for store discount cards, answering surveys, entering contests, and all sorts of other things. Also being too lazy to go around to every bank/credit card/etc you have and go "don't share all my info with everyone under the sun."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

drat Bananas posted:

Start writing "Deceased" instead.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I got my first junkmail waterfall when I applied to colleges (all 2 of them) and it hasn't stopped since!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I've opted out of junk mail a few years ago, and it's slowed to a trickle.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email for info, if you live in the USA.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I set my mail to forward before I'd left to study abroad, and the dude still gets my mail sometimes. :/ What in the world did I pay for?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Aerofallosov posted:

I set my mail to forward before I'd left to study abroad, and the dude still gets my mail sometimes. :/ What in the world did I pay for?

No idea what you paid for, considering the post office forwards your mail for free if you just fill out the form and turn it into them there. Or you can do it online for one dollar.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well duh he paid $1 for it. Guess we get what we pay for.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When I've changed my address, the post office wouldn't let me do it in person. The only thing they had there was a card with their website to file and pay online.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Junk mail makes for great scratch paper.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Anne Whateley posted:

When I've changed my address, the post office wouldn't let me do it in person. The only thing they had there was a card with their website to file and pay online.

Yeah, they wouldn't let me do it in person, either. And I was being a bit flippant with my response, sorry. I do still feel pretty badly for the poor sap who gets my mail AND his in that tiny mailbox they give you at the apartment complex.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I'm sure somebody will find this interesting.

For those of you who know nothing about Australian superannuation, here's the rundown: About 20 years ago it was put into law that every employer had to set aside 9% of their workers salaries into their nominated superannuation fund. That money could not be touched unless you meet one of several very specific circumstances (such as retirement, have six months to live, etc, although I hear there's ways to draw on that money through Centrelink if you're in a lot of financial trouble).

You can manage your superannuation money yourself, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to spend it. You can invest it how you see fit, but you're not allowed to, say, withdraw $20,000 and go to Vegas. Self-managed Superannuation basically means that you're the trustee to your client, the client being yourself, and as trustee you're subject to all the harshest penalties if you cock it up.

So the friend of the poster on the page I linked to above gets himself a self-managed super fund, completely ignores all the scary paperwork you have to sign to get one, and proceeds to spend $15,000 of his $40,000 retirement savings on a rental bond and a car.

He's going to be so hosed when the Australian Tax Office is notified as similar actions to his in the past have lead to gaol time.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 9, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

froglet posted:

He's going to be so hosed when the Australian Tax Office is notified as similar actions to his in the past have lead to gaol time.

Hahaha, that guy is hosed big time.

Surely you have to think it's not a good idea when the company looking after the paperwork and legal side of it instantly drops you like a rock.

For the rest of the world, the money in the super account is basically a managed investment fund. This guys probably thinks it's OK because it's his money anyway, but in reality the law sees this as a investment fund manager taking their clients money to buy themselves a car and pay a rental bond.

Also pretty sure every super fund is supposed to be audited yearly with one of the main purposes being to make sure that the money is actually being spent in a way designed to generate a positive return, so it's not going to take them long to figure it out.

EDIT: That thread is from 2 years ago? Is there a payoff for going through it?

Rudager fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 9, 2014

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Rudager posted:

Hahaha, that guy is hosed big time.

Surely you have to think it's not a good idea when the company looking after the paperwork and legal side of it instantly drops you like a rock.

For the rest of the world, the money in the super account is basically a managed investment fund. This guys probably thinks it's OK because it's his money anyway, but in reality the law sees this as a investment fund manager taking their clients money to buy themselves a car and pay a rental bond.

Also pretty sure every super fund is supposed to be audited yearly with one of the main purposes being to make sure that the money is actually being spent in a way designed to generate a positive return, so it's not going to take them long to figure it out.

EDIT: That thread is from 2 years ago? Is there a payoff for going through it?

The poster said he'd update when he had more information, but I checked his post history and there wasn't any posts saying 'so now my friend is in gaol/has been fined $100,000'.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

A few months ago we were on the envelope system but ended up falling off the wagon for a few months. Cue today, we are looking for a tax document and stumble across 5 envelopes of money totaling $489. It's cool that we have 'bonus' money but it's so loving pitiful we could casually misplace almost $500 and not even notice. Our combined income is only like 48k annually.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

More /r/personalfinance gold:

"/r/personalfinance posted:

This is a throwaway account because my situation is really embarassing. Procrastination, fear, poor decisions and lack of resources have brought me to this. I'm totally afraid to even access the damage. So here goes....I just turned 40, in the middle of a divorce (actually kind of amicable), about to graduate x-ray tech school on october 4th but.... I have no savings, i live on a $120 allowance per week from my sis, i havent done taxes in 13 years, i owe a poo poo ton of money in school loans, im pretty sure my credit is totally jacked and it goes on and on. Question, can my credit even be rescued? Am I going to sent to a CIA black site for not paying taxes in 13 years? Is it possible to save enough money to retire at a reasonable age at this point or is it already to late?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Guinness posted:

More /r/personalfinance gold:

Assuming this guy had a job, how do you not file for 13 years not come up as a blip on the audit radar?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OneWhoKnows posted:

Assuming this guy had a job, how do you not file for 13 years not come up as a blip on the audit radar?

If he's really really loving lucky (and not good at W-4s, which we can probably take as close to a given) he might be owed a refund for most or all of those years with just the standard deduction. If that's what's going on, the IRS won't care much. If they have your money rather than vice versa, they're more than happy to just hang on to that money for you penalty-free until you can get around to filing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Space Gopher posted:

If he's really really loving lucky (and not good at W-4s, which we can probably take as close to a given) he might be owed a refund for most or all of those years with just the standard deduction. If that's what's going on, the IRS won't care much. If they have your money rather than vice versa, they're more than happy to just hang on to that money for you penalty-free until you can get around to filing.

Assuming he's as bad at his job as he is at life (not judging people who choose low income professions), he probably never made much money, so he probably would be owed a refund most/all years.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've known a few people like that, who basically refuse to file tax returns and think that they are making out like bandits because the big "inefficient" IRS hasn't caught them and made them pay their taxes. Knowing their incomes, I can absolutely guarantee that they would be getting money back for all those years, and that's why the IRS isn't doing anything about it.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

OneWhoKnows posted:

My sister is doing the books for a company full of people like this. The checks are being made out to the people, the paperwork says the payments are going to LLC and the company is more than a year late filing 1099s. They went through 4 bookkeepers last year. The company goes "out of business" every couple years, reopening under a new name, a new LLC, new TIN while being the same folks. They do squirrely real estate stuff, so companies going out of business all the time is not rare. They go out of business before the IRS comes after them so that the trail is cold by the time the feds start sniffing around.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I've known a few people like that, who basically refuse to file tax returns and think that they are making out like bandits because the big "inefficient" IRS hasn't caught them and made them pay their taxes. Knowing their incomes, I can absolutely guarantee that they would be getting money back for all those years, and that's why the IRS isn't doing anything about it.

I worked with a guy who was exactly like this. Him and his wife hadn't done taxes in like 7 years, and when they finally got around to dropping all of their documents at a tax prep place, it turned out they were getting almost $27k back.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I did it. 11 years.. or something. In Australia, paid H&R Block like 1200 bucks and they sorted it all and lodged them all, paid off my entire HECS debt (debt for Uni) in one go. Something like 22k.

I think the thing to know is the ATO (or IRS) is busy as gently caress and there are zillions of people doing this poo poo. Software is probably scanning through the tax records and popping alerts, but it's possible to be missed for decades at a time. When you're relatively young we're also talking about gently caress all tax and hence they probably chase the bigger cases first.

Al Capone, Martha Stewart, Willie Nelson, Nicolas Cage and Boris Becker all got done for it. They'll get you in the end and it's just clockwork for them, by the time you'll hear about it from them you're completely stitched up.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I forgot about a W2 (it was mailed to the wrong address) and wasn't paying enough attention to catch it so I misfiled my taxes in 2012 (for the 2011 year).

The IRS contacted me in mid 2013 with a bill and an automated letter that said "you didn't report this W2 that we got."

They charged me 3% yearly interest and let me mail them a check. (This was about 1000 dollars that I owed them; hardly a whole year's worth of taxes.)

I am pretty sure that anyone who hasn't filed their taxes for 5+ years and not gotten a letter from the IRS is just overpaying them.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

A person I know that looks like me and shares my name, it's me, thought it'd be a good idea to sign up for a random course and student loan when I left school to fund my alcohol and partying youth lifestyle.
:dance:

20k dollars later I'm left with zero qualifications and very little memory of the year.
Currently at 24 still paying it off in a poo poo job with just-above minimum wage.
Add to that a complete lack of budget skills and compulsive spending, a wife and 2 kids.
:bang:

fakeedit: Don't misconstrue the regret as directed at my kids, they're the one thing I'm doing right.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spiteski posted:

A person I know that looks like me and shares my name, it's me, thought it'd be a good idea to sign up for a random course and student loan when I left school to fund my alcohol and partying youth lifestyle.
:dance:

20k dollars later I'm left with zero qualifications and very little memory of the year.
Currently at 24 still paying it off in a poo poo job with just-above minimum wage.
Add to that a complete lack of budget skills and compulsive spending, a wife and 2 kids.
:bang:

fakeedit: Don't misconstrue the regret as directed at my kids, they're the one thing I'm doing right.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do it right by your kids at age 24 on minimum wage, but godspeed.

I hope you're at least collecting food stamps or the like. May I ask what region you live in?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible to do it right by your kids at age 24 on minimum wage, but godspeed.

I hope you're at least collecting food stamps or the like. May I ask what region you live in?

I live in New Zealand. Which makes a world of difference I imagine to what constitutes minimum wage. We are collecting some subsidies from the government to make up a bit of income. Such as in-work family tax credits, and accommodation supplements.

Our total income is roughly 35k before tax. Rent is the major killer, with a cheap decent house in our area anywhere from $380-500 per week.
We currently pay $410.

As much as doing right goes, food, clothes, and rent/utilities comes before anything else.
After all that is said and done though, I still suck at budgeting, and frequently find we are back to zero savings.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Spiteski posted:

Rent is the major killer, with a cheap decent house in our area anywhere from $380-500 per week.
We currently pay $410.

This is loving expensive rent, dude. My friends in Adelaide will give you a three bedroom, brand new house with Internet included for that, or my sister has a 2 br apartment in St Kilda, which is in the middle of Melbourne, on the beach.

You can move somewhere cheaper?

If you're being paid minimum wage you should be able to find comparable or better work wherever you go.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

I was the person bad with money.

I ran my own business for 18 months but registered my income incorrectly because the forms were in a second language that I'm only getting the hang of now, end result being having to pay 10K in back taxes.

I "forgot" about my student loan for a few years, got to the point that I was owing about a $100 in interest a month. Got a real job after my business fun and paid it down as quickly as was bearable.

I lived almost rent free in Oslo, Norway for 5 years and managed to save nothing despite having an okay average income.

I've started so many unfinished courses, worst of which is my driving licence (costs a lot in Norway) which has a series of mandatory lessons including ice driving, long distance driving and night driving. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take them all again because it's been about 3 years since I did them.

Thanks to the Zaurg, Cornholio, Tuyop and Slow Motion I have a better understanding of my finances and control over my spending habits and budgeting. But I'm still embarrassed that it took me so long and I still don't understand my pension or have a long term plan for what I'm doing with my money.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Spiteski posted:

As much as doing right goes, food, clothes, and rent/utilities comes before anything else.
After all that is said and done though, I still suck at budgeting, and frequently find we are back to zero savings.

Sounds like you need your own thread!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Agreed. I had enough of a :psyduck: while reading that, that I think you'd benefit from special attention.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Agreed. I had enough of a :psyduck: while reading that, that I think you'd benefit from special attention.

I've put one up to get some advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Not sure if my sister in law falls into the category of bad with money but she is a likely candidate at times. She bought a 2012 Kia Soul brand new with a typical 4 year loan and decided yesterday she wanted a vehicle that she didn't have to leave at work and get rides home when there is a poo poo ton of snow on the ground and she also lives in a city that is full of steep hills and narrow streets.

When I say steep, I am talking about you probably need a winch to get up some of these hills when major snow hits the area. So she went out and bought a 2014 Rav 4, the Kia turn in did not cover the cost she still had on her loan, so she still ended up owing money on the car and now has a loan payment for a 2014 vehicle that is not really going to do much better in the snow in the particular city she lives in. Oh yeah she also works as a journalist in the small towns crappy newspaper.

• Locked thread