Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Where's that second season of Utopia? :argh:

If you've got Facebook or are on Twitter you can follow the progress of it. Looking forward to it in a slightly apprehensive sort of way; as I have no idea where they could take it after the ending of the first set of episodes last year.

Still, they have the original writer and director back, which is the important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Padje posted:

It was the Origin Story of Stinky John!

It wasn't very funny but it was a great watch. Are they all bottle episodes?

Sounds like it might be, the next two episodes' synopses (synopsises? synopsas?) are:

quote:

When cat-burglars Ray and Eddie decide to break into a luxury house, they have to dodge all manner of obstacles – including the warring couple that live there (Oona Chaplin and Denis Lawson) – to get their hands on a priceless painting. Farcical silent comedy guest starring Kayvan Novak and Joyce Veheary.

and:

quote:

Tom is a primary school teacher with ambitious ideas of becoming an author. When he tries to repay a good turn from a late-night caller, he gradually becomes the victim of his own generosity. As time passes, his new friend - Migg - becomes an increasingly dominant part of Tom's life, threatening his relationship with his aspiring actress girlfriend, Gerri. Guest starring Gemma Arterton and Conleth Hill.

Makes sense, I guess, since they're all supposedly happening in houses/buildings with the number 9. Apparently it all comes from that one episode of Psychoville that was spoofing Hitchcock.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Padje posted:

It was the Origin Story of Stinky John!

It wasn't very funny but it was a great watch. Are they all bottle episodes?

I've just realised he never washed because he was abused when the old guy used to touch him up while teaching him to wash

Feel daft now

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Ponce de Le0n posted:

At least its a bit more imaginative than sex box.

That was probably much more interesting right up until they were told the box couldn't be made of glass and they couldn't just cast people that they wanted to see having sex.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The Beeb have brought in a quota for women on panel shows.

Some of them are bad enough without adding guests which aren't as funny as their male counterparts.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm liking Babylon so far

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Babylon is alright, but it feels a bit...confused. Like it doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or a drama.

Fantastic soundtrack though.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 9, 2014

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Black comedy, good drama. Babylon was well worth the watch.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Babylon is alright, but it feels a bit...confused. Like it doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or a drama.

Fantastic soundtrack though.

Yeah, the psycho gently caress-you cop being filmed was straight out of a comedy, the rest...not so much. Maybe it'll settle down a bit and become more even in the actual series itself.

It was interesting though, and anything Paterson Joseph is in is generally worth a watch.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It sort of missed Ianucci's touch, and the tone was uneven, but enjoyable overall. Brit Marling was pretty good as the Anna Chlumsky-type character. I feel like it could drift into being weirdly pro-police state though, like I'm gonna end up rooting for the deMenezes killing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I didn't really like Babylon. It felt like TToI with all the jokes taken out, even more so than the last season of TToI. The three plods (Psycho, Boring and The Woman) stole the show, but there was a lot of it to hold on their shoulders. It was alright, just not the knock-out I was hoping for I guess. It was nice to see Danny Boyle Danny Boyling it up though.
Also, Inside Number 9 was a nice playlet but I never laughed at it. Apparently the next epi has a lot of slap-stick which maaaay be poo poo.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I feel like it could drift into being weirdly pro-police state though, like I'm gonna end up rooting for the deMenezes killing.

Yeah, that's what was worrying me too. Apparently they gave it to the Met for approval before airing too, which doesn't fill me with hope that the series will be as black hearted and dagger-sharp as TTOI. The Met aren't really known for their sense of humour...

And the sound editing on it was frankly abysmal; whoever did the dialogue levels vs. the music levels needs a good stern talking to. I'd to shove the volume way, way up to catch anything the slimy PR bloke said, and then nearly had a heart attack when the adverts came on at a normal level.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mr. Squishy posted:

(Psycho, Boring and The Woman)

Personally, I went for Psycho, The Woman, and The Guy That Owned the Garage in the Inbetweeners.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Irisi posted:

Yeah, that's what was worrying me too. Apparently they gave it to the Met for approval before airing too, which doesn't fill me with hope that the series will be as black hearted and dagger-sharp as TTOI. The Met aren't really known for their sense of humour...

And the sound editing on it was frankly abysmal; whoever did the dialogue levels vs. the music levels needs a good stern talking to. I'd to shove the volume way, way up to catch anything the slimy PR bloke said, and then nearly had a heart attack when the adverts came on at a normal level.

YES thankyou, I thought my soundbar was hosed. Also James Nesbitt sounded more like James Earl Jones

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I'm a terrible person, I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of The Only Way Is Essex. My question is, with 7 seasons up on Hulu, at what point does the show no longer even have entertainment value?

I couldn't go back after the highly foreshadowed Death of Mark Wright didn't happen in the series 2 finalé.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
From the ads and casting it looked like Babylon was going to be some sort of UK Reno 911. The first 10 minutes or so seemed to comfirm that in my mind so I found myself wondering when the next punchline was instead of digesting the main story which was a shame since the plot was pretty good (bit Luther-esque but I can't say that was a bad thing).

Felt they put way too much time on the Met internal polictics and should have focused more on the police in the streets but I guess we'll see what they'll do when it comes back later on in the year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd love for us to have our own Reno 911.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd love for us to have our own Reno 911.

Or any comedy, to be honest.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Another thing about Babylon was that it hammered the "everyobe's got smart phones, yeah?" drum that I've heard beating for what, five years? Nobody ever seems to be able to talk about them without seeming like an passed-it neophyte, somehow.
e: I tell a lie, I liked the way The Politicians Wife handled the blogs.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't have one :( (I'm unemployed. Technically according to bitter people on Twitter I should only a Potato sack and a one legged goat).

2013 was a depressingly terrible year for British comedy. I'm encountering too many people who actually like Miranda. It is horrible.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Your opinion doesn't matter until you're employed, mate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm encountering too many people who actually like Miranda. It is horrible.

The only part of Miranda I've ever seen was the closing credits, muted, where they're all waving to the camera like it's still 1986 and they're in an episode of Allo Allo. It was all I needed to see, it's like the BBC have based programming blocks off When The Whistle Blows, in a stroke of absolutely amazing irony. People can harp on about Big Bang Theory as much as they want, but they don't loving wave the audience goodbye at the end of the episode like we're all a bunch of pals or something.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I don't actually like Miranda the TV show that much, but I think shows like it have their place. It's not for me. Mostly it's for kids and younger teens who want to feel they're watching grown up comedy but without any actual edginess or real unpleasantness and with all the sex/relationship stuff gentle innuendo, or for adults with the same sensibilities. If you're the target audience it's absolutely what you want and it's fine. It's when shows like that are made to the exclusion of all other comedy that we start to have problems. Also the radio show wasn't that bad, very old fashioned but I rather like Miranda as a performer and it worked better without visuals.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

it worked better without visuals.

I wonder why...

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Flatscan posted:

I wonder why...

Oh gently caress off. There's plenty of reasons to dislike Miranda without resorting to "lol, chubby woman."

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jonnty posted:

Oh gently caress off. There's plenty of reasons to dislike Miranda without resorting to "lol, chubby woman."

You gently caress off, you're the one that saw that picture and went straight to "lol, chubby woman", not me. It's the boggly eyes and horse teeth that creep me out.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Looks like BBC is finally forcing the new "improved" iPlayer radio section down our throats and I can't help noticing that not only is it poo poo, it's also deleted the awesome favourites list I've built up over the past 3(?) years. Like, what in the loving gently caress, BBC?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jonnty posted:

What about her lack of chin and general incestual-parents look she has?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Honestly how Miranda the person looks didn't even cross my mind, my point was it works better when it's not attempting to do visual gags or physical comedy and has to rely solely on the script and the delivery of the dialogue. The narration/speaking directly to the audience also works much better on the radio. There are other radio sitcoms where this is also the case, I quite enjoy Clare in the Community in a kind of middle of the road way, but I don't think it would work as a tv show without being completely retooled

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't have one :( (I'm unemployed. Technically according to bitter people on Twitter I should only a Potato sack and a one legged goat).
WE FOUND ONE

GET THE ROPE

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
To move away from this wonderful discussion, Louis Theroux mentioned on Twitter that he's got 3 new shows coming out around March, and also...

Should be very interesting. There hasn't been any Louis docs for ages.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Fatkraken posted:

The narration/speaking directly to the audience also works much better on the radio. There are other radio sitcoms where this is also the case, I quite enjoy Clare in the Community in a kind of middle of the road way, but I don't think it would work as a tv show without being completely retooled
That Mitchell and Webb Sound could offer a hundred examples of that same phenomenon, the Snooker Commentators went from effortless to over-the-top in a really disappointing manner. Not to say that the TV series offered nothing - the "behind the scenes" sketches where Mitchell and Webb spoofed themselves work well - but most of the shared stuff carried over poorly.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

NaDy posted:

To move away from this wonderful discussion, Louis Theroux mentioned on Twitter that he's got 3 new shows coming out around March, and also...

Should be very interesting. There hasn't been any Louis docs for ages.
I really doubt he'll get a single response from anybody inside the Church. Hasn't Mark Bunker been trying to make that poo poo happen for what, 10 years now?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I'll be surprised if he manages to make a balanced documentary on the subject but I love Louis theroux so I'll no doubt enjoy it regardless.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Al2001 posted:

Looks like BBC is finally forcing the new "improved" iPlayer radio section down our throats and I can't help noticing that not only is it poo poo, it's also deleted the awesome favourites list I've built up over the past 3(?) years. Like, what in the loving gently caress, BBC?

Has there ever been an update to a website that wasn't a giant bucket of poo poo?
e: maybe the Theroux will turn out like that Palin documentary where a nutter tries to interview her at book signings and mall openings. Louis politely asking questions to a closed and locked door.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 10, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Flatscan posted:

You gently caress off, you're the one that saw that picture and went straight to "lol, chubby woman", not me. It's the boggly eyes and horse teeth that creep me out.

guys, don't fight.
you're both the worst.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Al2001 posted:

I've resorted to just having a folder in my bookmarks that contains links directly to the schedules of various stations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Louis Theroux once rang me to reset his BBC password. Despite recognising his voice immediately I was still obliged to follow our password reset process which means I had to ask him to take a photo of his BBC pass next to something with todays date on such as newspaper or a news channel on a TV.

He didn't really follow the last part and instead sent a photo of himself holding his bbc pass next to his face.

He is awesome.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUqt_E0aOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think my favourite part of that video is that they're all early twenties there, despite looking about fifteen.