Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Goddamnit Japan.

:aaa: At what point does the vehicle get crushed like an empty beer can???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I literally rolled down my window at a stoplight tonight and yelled at the woman next to me that she had been driving with her lights completely off for a few miles. She just stared in disbelief and confusion and pulled away when it went green. Flashed my lights multiple times to no avail.

Some people have no loving business having a license.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If my car had a gigantic snow hat I would cruise around surface streets or parking lots for as long as it stayed up there. I would want to share the masterpiece with as many people I could before it disappeared forever.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

MrLonghair posted:

Goddamnit Japan.

Instant hellaflush

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of overloaded... spotted on the way back from the zoo. Wobbling all over the drat place.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Wow...I can't believe it...

A running SL1.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SL, SC were the coupes... and a later one from the look of the wheels could be an SL2?

But yeah, they're still around here, though in ever smaller numbers.

Ha, nice edit :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I noticed the 2nd set of doors right after I posted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wheels point at 00+ SL2. Painted moldings and door handles also point at SL2. I'd say the paint matched bumpers would also point at that, but I think even the bare bones SL had them by 2001.

I don't see many SL or SL1 anymore, though they had the especially lovely engine. I still see plenty of SL2s around though, they're not rare at all.

e: how do you miss the extra doors?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

some texas redneck posted:

Look at his avatar.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll be sure to consult wikipedia before posting next time thanks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I still don't get why he had all those mattresses at the zoo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

I still don't get why he had all those mattresses at the zoo.

The lion sleeps very comfortably tonight.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Wheels point at 00+ SL2. Painted moldings and door handles also point at SL2. I'd say the paint matched bumpers would also point at that, but I think even the bare bones SL had them by 2001.

I don't see many SL or SL1 anymore, though they had the especially lovely engine. I still see plenty of SL2s around though, they're not rare at all.

Are there actually people out there that like Saturns enough to know all of this poo poo about them or is this obscure lovely-car knowledge from your job as a mechanic?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
He's not a mechanic, he just loves lovely plastic cars.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Are there actually people out there that like Saturns enough to know all of this poo poo about them or is this obscure lovely-car knowledge from your job as a mechanic?

My mother-in-law swore by Saturns because they were "cheap and reliable", so my wife's family owned a trio of Saturn Ions. About the time the warranty was about to end, mother-in-law insisted everyone go buy Suzukis because Saturn was no more and Suzuki was the next "cheap and reliable" car. Pretty much immediately before her family went to the Suzuki dealership, they announced they were going out of business, so her entire family was converted to Honda as the new cheap and reliable car company. Mother-in-law's source for all car information is the word of god as told through the small town local news paper.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

My mother-in-law swore by Saturns because they were "cheap and reliable", so my wife's family owned a trio of Saturn Ions. About the time the warranty was about to end, mother-in-law insisted everyone go buy Suzukis because Saturn was no more and Suzuki was the next "cheap and reliable" car. Pretty much immediately before her family went to the Suzuki dealership, they announced they were going out of business, so her entire family was converted to Honda as the new cheap and reliable car company. Mother-in-law's source for all car information is the word of god as told through the small town local news paper.

Some people look at cars the same way they look at washing machines. See: Camry drivers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Some people look at cars the same way they look at washing machines. See: Camry drivers.

So the ones with the bright red front-loader drive a Lexus SUV?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Well there's having a mildly inconvenient layer of snow on the roof of your car and there's having three inches of ice. The former is hardly worth raging over and the latter is dangerous. I feel like there's not a lot of gray area in this thread, though.

A few years ago I had a guy in a Expedition stop short behind me for some reason at a stop light here. It snowed the day before and we had a warm day/cold night cycle so by not clearing off five inches of snow he now had a good three inch sheet of ice wedged into the rails of the roof rack. (Apparently it takes extra effort or something to clear off a roof with a rack on it). So next day its noon and just warming up, guy stops short and his ice sheet launches through the back window of my LeSabre, buckled the unibody around the glass, slammed into the back of the seats and dents the trunk lid. Cops wrote the guy multiple tickets on the scene and I wound up with a new car.

The moral is don't be a lazy poo poo, what if I had a baby in the back seat? Clear off your roof.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FogHelmut posted:

So the ones with the bright red front-loader drive a Lexus SUV?

I'll have you know that my red front-loader was here when I bought my condo, and it has worked superbly ever since (Wrinkle Care is awesome because I am lazy and do not take things out of the machine right away). I drive a Mustang, if you're interested in tracking the statistics.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'll have you know that my red front-loader was here when I bought my condo, and it has worked superbly ever since (Wrinkle Care is awesome because I am lazy and do not take things out of the machine right away). I drive a Mustang, if you're interested in tracking the statistics.

I have a floor model front loader with a dent in the side. I drive an Impreza. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If cheap and reliable were actually something people cared about, every single one of us would be in a Toyota because I they've dominated the durability studies a prices under $20k for decades. Honda's not far behind, both companies have topped the charts for a long time.

So when I hear people say they want a "cheap and reliable" car I internally translate that to "cheap and has curb appeal."

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
STR isn't a mechanic?? My reality is shattered. I wonder why I thought that...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
He's a mechanic the same way I am, because he has to work on his drat ride all the time to keep it going.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Passed a guy delivering a pizza last night who had the pizza chain's giant lit up sign on his trunk lid. All I could see after I passed him was a yellow glow filling his entire rear window. Good job, fellow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Astonishing Wang posted:

If you have one, you might take some interest into knowing about it. Mine's at the sweet spot right now where there are like 5-6 of them at the pick and pull if I need anything, which is why I started to learn about identifying them. My neighbor has one of the lower end models, with the bare bumpers.

Right now I'm driving with weak brakes, and knowing this now, I can only assume many of the drivers out there must have weak brakes. It's like they get worse and worse for years and you don't realize it until you emergency brake and don't even lock them up. I then realized my rear brakes were way out of adjustment and my master cylinder is getting sloppy.

I'm a person you're sharing the road with - can't stop edition.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of overloaded... spotted on the way back from the zoo. Wobbling all over the drat place.

Oh Phoenix Metro. You never cease to amaze me. :allears:

Almost rear ended some moron in a black 300C at 4 AM this morning because they were driving with their DRL's and decided they needed to be in my lane out of loving nowhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I just assume that any Saturn still on the road is pretty much falling apart and give it space accordingly. Even if I can't see it they're also statistically very likely to have a balloon spare on at least one corner.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Someone say Saturn? I daily a 2003 Saturn L200 with 152,000mi on the clock. Let's list the poo poo that's broke:

brake booster
windshield wiper transmission
rear brakes
speed sensor
front suspension
drive train
front suspension again
one of those holy poo poo handles in the back
the driver seat
headliner
sunroof rails
air conditioner compressor
front suspension again

the only reason i tolerate it is because my parents insist on fixing it

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Consumer reports told me it was reliable, but when I got in, the steering wheel was larger than I'm used to, and the lighting controls were not in the same place as in my last car.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
This should really be changed to the dashcam megathread. Speaking of, what is everyone using to capture the wondrous displays of driving talent seen in this thread and on the roads all around us?

So far I'm leaning towards the DOD ls300w, which seems to have the best video quality I've seen.

Edit: I do now!

joe944 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 11, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You DO know there's a dashcam thread, right?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Astonishing Wang posted:

STR isn't a mechanic?? My reality is shattered. I wonder why I thought that...

Nope, I work for Pizza the Hut.

There's a few professional mechanics in here, though right now the only ones I can name off the top of my head are Slavvy and 13 Inch Dick.

kastein posted:

He's a mechanic the same way I am, because he has to work on his drat ride all the time to keep it going.

Most of my cars prior to this, yeah. :haw:

I haven't had to do anything to this one beyond normal maintenance so far (not counting an evap harness pigtail repaired under warranty); racked up 21k in the past year.

Crotch Fruit posted:

My mother-in-law swore by Saturns because they were "cheap and reliable", so my wife's family owned a trio of Saturn Ions.

She.. she did know the Ion was basically a Cobalt, right? Right?

Uthor posted:

Passed a guy delivering a pizza last night who had the pizza chain's giant lit up sign on his trunk lid. All I could see after I passed him was a yellow glow filling his entire rear window. Good job, fellow.

A lot of pizza places require every car to have a sign.

Including convertibles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm selling Honda stock as we speak.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Wish I had a dashcam, because somebody just clutchdumped their way backwards out of a space in a parking lot and I got a lovely chance to test my brakes. Then they stopped sat for around 10 seconds, and slooowlllyy pulled back into the space. I gave them a LOT of room when I went around. Wish :rice: came in a reversing version.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Vindolanda posted:

Wish :rice: came in a reversing version.

Here you go. :v:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

She.. she did know the Ion was basically a Cobalt, right? Right?

Of course my wife, mother-in-law, and I did not know the Ion was a Cobalt. Is that bad? I mean besides the fact the Ion was poverty spec, both my wife and I liked it a lot more than her Civic.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am the guy you share a road with, because I got myself stuck in the middle of a six lane highway with several inches of snow on it. My mistake was trying to drive against the established ruts at an obtuse angle on an uphill slope in a low slung sportscar. Also, I should have turned off the drat traction control sooner.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yesterday I was riding my motorcycle home after work and saw a guy riding his bicycle down the road with his hands in his jacket pockets. Then he blew through a red light. I beeped my horn and shook my head at him, he flipped me off.

I've ridden with no hands before, sure it's fun but at 5 p.m., on a road with no bike lane and a rather rough surface... it only takes one weird bump/groove to throw your uncontrolled bicycle directly in front of a driver, who will then be found at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
With the snowpocalypse happening again in the South (i.e. Raleigh burning car photo), can't wait to see more stories from around here start to pop up soon!