Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

d0s posted:

They published those games, they were developed by Irem :) (and they are awesome)

Apparently everything I like turns out to be made by Irem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Actually, Agetec was a division of Ascii. Once Irem stopped wanting to publish their own stuff in the US, Agetec took over as Irem's US outlet. Very little of what Agetec published in the US was developed by Ascii. The -Maker series (Fighter Maker, RPG Maker) are really the only ones I could point to.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I just bought this impulsively, not knowing anything about it.

Please tell me it's good.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to point out that WWF Royal Rumble is my guilty LJN pleasure, it has all kinds of charm. I especially like how buffed out every wrestler is. Shawn Michaels is barely recognizable he's so buffed. The ability to knock out the ref and then just choke your opponent relentlessly is another good quality. Also, watching Yokozuna fly half way across the ring when doing his Banzai Drop is great. The range on that thing was ridiculous.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

TheSpamalope posted:

Just wanted to point out that WWF Royal Rumble is my guilty LJN pleasure, it has all kinds of charm. I especially like how buffed out every wrestler is. Shawn Michaels is barely recognizable he's so buffed. The ability to knock out the ref and then just choke your opponent relentlessly is another good quality. Also, watching Yokozuna fly half way across the ring when doing his Banzai Drop is great. The range on that thing was ridiculous.

Winning the royal rumble and personally throwing out every opponent is one of my most satisfying gaming achievements, although certainly not of my most difficult.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I have no idea what this is but it looks awesome! Post a trip report!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

El Estrago Bonito posted:

(ask me about my complete collection of discount AGETECH PSX games, especially Battle Hunter and Top Shop).

Star Sweep was the best of these and is still to this day one of my favorite puzzle games. Battle Hunter was a surprisingly fun multiplayer title, and had they actually let you progress through the story in multiplayer (and didn't randomly generate maps where the computer would win on their first or second turn!), it might have been among my all-time favorite PS1 titles.

Also interestingly King of Fighters '99 was one of the A1 releases, or at least got sold with them in those budget multi-packs that appeared at the tail-end of the PS1's lifespan—that's how I ended up owning almost all of them at one point, though I eventually purged my collection of all but the aforementioned titles and a few of the better generics like Chess and Billiards.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

I have no idea what this is but it looks awesome! Post a trip report!

I was just browsing ebay and came across it. I'll let everybody know when I get it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ambitious Spider posted:

This game owns owns owns. I used to rent it all the time as a kid and it's one of those Genesis games like Gunstar Heroes that I just play through every once in awhile nonstop and remember secrets and whatnot.

The arcade version (Mega Twins) is even better.

Here's some video of it, jump around wherever and you will be greeted by rad rear end retro goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxp1I338mo

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's pretty good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Allen Wren posted:

Battle Hunter is literally one of my favorite games ever, to the point that I went and found a copy to include in my last retrogames secret santa package, so I'm totally asking. What is this Top Shop you speak of?

ACII/AGETECH published a looooot of stuff in the US made by niche Japan developers, especially From Software. I thought it was hilarious when Dark/Demon souls was getting so popular because people were like "FINALLY A HARDCORE GAME FOR HARDCORES" when it's probably the least hardcore game in their long tradition of really difficult and fiddly fantasy games (see: Kings Field).

Top Shop is pretty much Fortune Street without the Nintendo or Dragon Quest characters and with a painfully saturated color palette. It's like a hardcore version of Monopoly with the movement mechanics of Chutes and Ladders.

The closest thing Success ever made to another Battle Hunter was Rondo of Swords for the DS. They had a brief foray into more action rogue likes with Izuna but it wasn't that great. Really its been kinda all downhill for them since the Cotton series fizzled out.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

Apparently you have awesome taste, Irem are were :( gods

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What's the first game (for anything) you guys can remember playing. I can't remember exactly if it was first but the earliest games I remember playing (which I have) are Monsters & Magic and Batman both for C64. When it came to Monsters & Magic I would sit next to my grandma and she would read me the choices and I would tell her which one to pick.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Any chance anyone in here has a supergun they don't want? I was gonna get a MAK Strike V2 but the guy I was working the sale out with sold it from out under me :commissar:

edit: hehehe he felt bad not selling me the V2 even though I asked first so I'm getting a V3 for same price :monocle:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 10, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

juliuspringle posted:

What's the first game (for anything) you guys can remember playing. I can't remember exactly if it was first but the earliest games I remember playing (which I have) are Monsters & Magic and Batman both for C64. When it came to Monsters & Magic I would sit next to my grandma and she would read me the choices and I would tell her which one to pick.

I played my first video game when I was two years old. It was either Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventure in the Park or this Richard Scarry game where you controlled the worm in the apple car, both for the Coleco ADAM.

Cabbage Patch Kids was kind of interesting in that it was a linear sidescrolling platformer that would scroll either from left to right or right to left depending upon which way you went at the start. I was only able to progress by going left, as the first screen was a pond where you had to swing on vines to get across, and the rhythm of the vines was easier if you were coming from the right.

Going left also made some other screens easier, as obstacles like the bouncing balls would spawn behind you, and you'd just need to outrun them instead of dodge them.

The game kept introducing new obstacles well into the third level or so, which was as far as I ever saw my brother get, so for years I had the impression that this was a much larger game than it actually was. The game goes on indefinitely, randomly generating screens after a point.

Also Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventure in the Park is a conversion of Konami's Athletic Land, featured in the Konami Antiques: MSX Collection—the first import title I ever bought, during that very brief period at the tail-end of the Saturn's lifespan when EB Games sold Japanese Saturn titles. More than Gradius 2, Salamander, and the handful of other good titles featured in that collection, I was absolutely delighted to have inadvertently rediscovered my first video game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My first video game was Pong on one of those little devices that just did pong and a few variations on it. I took a quick look around to see if I could find the model but I couldn't; mine was orange, had to thin knobs actually on the console, ran on D cell batteries, and had three modes of play. I'm not shocked I couldn't find it since there were hundreds of these things made in the mid-70's.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

juliuspringle posted:

My first console was a Colecovision, and I remember playing Venture and Space Panic. I feel like I was pretty decent at Venture, but I was terrified of the green monster that came to get you if you took too long in a room. As for Space Panic, I was always worried in that one, because your air supply runs out so fast. When you're 3 or 4, imagination can make games scary :ohdear:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I bought video game magazines before I had any video games.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I probably played NES at friend/relative's, but the clearest firsts I remember are the Christmases I got my Gameboy and SNES, and the time I wandered into a computer store and played Outlaws.

snufkins
Feb 8, 2014

I own everything I see and everything that pleases me.

I own the entire world.

Fooley posted:

I probably played NES at friend/relative's, but the clearest firsts I remember are the Christmases I got my Gameboy and SNES, and the time I wandered into a computer store and played Outlaws.

Pfft, I remember when I got my very first Xbox One. Those were the days.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
First video game of any sort I remember playing was Atari 2600 Space Invaders. I don't even think Reagan was president yet. I may have played an arcade game or two before then but I don't remember it. Hell I may have only been allowed to watch SI and Outlaw because my mother was a goddamned stupid person who thought I would break it or something.

I probably played more Colecovision than I did 2600 till I got mine in Xmas 84 when they were 50 bucks and most games were a dollar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

My first video game was Pong on one of those little devices that just did pong and a few variations on it. I took a quick look around to see if I could find the model but I couldn't; mine was orange, had to thin knobs actually on the console, ran on D cell batteries, and had three modes of play. I'm not shocked I couldn't find it since there were hundreds of these things made in the mid-70's.

Hey, I found it!

An Odyssey 300.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
For me it was either Super Mario Bros or Top Gun, on NES, I think. Those are the first two I remember, though I can't recall the order. I know we had a Master System at the time as well, but I don't think my dad let me use it at the time. I know I wasn't yet 3 years old, either way.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Don't remember the first game I ever played but it was probably something for my uncle's TI computer. Off the top of my head I can recall Moon Patrol and Football as some of the earliest ones.

The first game I ever owned though (aside from Mario/Duck Hunt) was Strider on the NES. :allears:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Mine was probably an arcade game of some sort, since I practically grew up at our local Chuck E Cheese. I played the poo poo out of their TMNT and Jurassic Park machines. My first console game was probably Sonic 3, which I played at someone else's house. My first actual console was a used side-loader NES that I got at a garage sale with a bunch of games. I'm almost certain that Super Mario Bros. was the first game I played on it. (drat you Mom for giving it away :mad:)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I can't remember exactly what game it was, although it was almost certainly an Apple II game, likely one of the "Munchers" games, Pac-Man, Pinball or Pooyan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

juliuspringle posted:

Gargoyle's Quest for gameboy. I was 4 years old and freaked the gently caress out whenever that first fish boss came up out of the water, the change of music and the way he suddenly pops up are scary as hell and I wrote down and memorized the longass password I got when I finally killed him: HDPQ-9M5R.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My first game was Stickybears ABCs on the Apple IIe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmeU-OI15g

Or Raster Blaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUIlGoJdW0&t=25s

Although we had the monochrome monitor. It was SO SWEET when pops would let us use the console tv

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'd have to ask my parents if they remember me playing anything else but my earliest memory is Apple II Lemonade Stand, the graphical version, in glorious green and black.

We didn't have poo poo for Apple II games which sucked. Maybe one or two others because I can't remember playing much else before we got a SNES and 68k Mac (I forget which came first)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

My dad had a massive collection of Apple II software, legit and pirated, so I dunno exactly what the first one I played was, but two stick out. There was Bruce Lee, which everyone in this thread probably knows. But then there was Below the Root, which was an adventure game way ahead of its time. It had multiple playable characters who would get different reactions from the NPC factions (including kidnapping you, which freaked child me out.) It was also a proto-Metroidvania as it took place in a open world with platforming and abilities you had to learn to progress.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SO I played through Syd of valis this afternoon

That's some fine translation work there, lou

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm fairly certain the first video game I ever actually played was Super Mario Bros. at my neighbor's house when I was 4 years old. It became the first game I ever owned when I got an NES for Christmas at the age of 5 as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish I remembered my first game. It might have been Elite because at the time our lovely IBM computer was only capable of playing wireframe and text based strategy games. Wolfenstein 3D or Duke Nukem were the first games I remember completing start to finish.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
After catching up a few pages I just wanted to make it clear that I also love Bobble Bobble very much. I love it so much I even made my MAME cabinet's menu interface Bubble Bobble-ish with some random sprites here and there. If anyone hasn't ever tried out the arcade Bubble Bobble and/or NES Rainbow Islands you definitely should.

Random Stranger posted:

I think the NES Wolverine game is an okay platformer. Not one I'd recommend but when I'm going through the thin pickings of the LJN catalog it stands out.

The Incredible Crash Test Dummies is a genuinely good game despite the weird license. It's flaky but I'd still recommend it.

TheHoosier posted:

Maximum Carnage?

For content: Maximum Carnage is a decent beat-em-up that is only ONE loving PLAYER C'MON MAN. It has an amazing soundtrack and tight controls. I always really liked it as a kid and I still do now. I just cannot believe it's only one player. Spider-man and Venom beating up baddies side-by-side is every kid's/comic hipster's dream.

I got the Crash Dummies game for the GB as a Christmas present way back when and I still love it to this day. For being a multigame-ish game it held up really well over the years and it's just really easy to pick up and play.

I'm glad someone posted about Maximum Carnage because I would have otheriwse. This was one of the rock solid go tos from the video store if everything else was taken but yeah the fact it was 1p only was a loving crime. The style of the game and the fact that the cart itself was blood red rocks and easily cements its #1 spot on the top LJN game list if you ask me.

As to the first game discussion...that's a drat good question that I could ramble for hours on. I'll throw out a few bullet points to keep from rambling:
- First game I remember playing was Mario/Duck Hunt on NES
- I clearly remember playing the NES Roger Rabbit and A Boy and His Blob at some friend of the family's house
- I barely remember a standalone Pong machine at a friends house in the 2nd grade (along with a bitchin 5 cent slot machine)
- First game I remember ANYBODY else playing (outside of my house) was my Mom and her friend playing Adventure Island and Paperboy while drinking wine coolers (same friends family that were Sega people, who first introduced us to uncensored Mortal Kombat years later)
- First game I ever beat: My brother and I stayed up all night (midnight = all night to a kid OK) playing NES Rampage. It was such a gamer's high I swear I'm still residually high from it

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 10, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My first game was either Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link or Super Mario Bros 2. In either case I remember it was a desperate attempt by my older cousins to get me hooked on video games so I would stop pestering them. It worked. :D

I also remember the day I finally got my very own NES. My parents insisted that I save the money up myself so they set up a system where household chores got me a dollar here and a dollar there. I never actually got the cash in hand because I was so young, I think they just kept a total for me. Anyway, I guess once I got close they decided to help me the rest of the way there and surprise me. I distinctly remember that my Mom had picked me up from the sitter and I was taking a bath when I heard the world 1-1 Super Mario Bros music blasting from my room. I ran in and my Mom was sitting there glued to the TV playing my brand new Nintendo like it was no big thing; I think she even told me to wait my turn or something. I probably blacked out from excitement after that but it sure made for a fun memory.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 10, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

TheHoosier posted:

Maximum Carnage?

For content: Maximum Carnage is a decent beat-em-up that is only ONE loving PLAYER C'MON MAN. It has an amazing soundtrack and tight controls. I always really liked it as a kid and I still do now. I just cannot believe it's only one player. Spider-man and Venom beating up baddies side-by-side is every kid's/comic hipster's dream.

And then they added two player mode for the sequel, Separation Anxiety, but that game sucked for reasons I still find myself unable to articulate. Probably the music and a lack of cameos. All of the characters that show up in Maximum Carnage really add to the flavor. The only other licensed game off the top of my head that decided to throw in that many cameos (aside from Kingdom Hearts or Segagaga where that's basically the whole premise) is Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

cosmicjim posted:

Winning the royal rumble and personally throwing out every opponent is one of my most satisfying gaming achievements, although certainly not of my most difficult.

Throwing all of them out in under a minute on the hardest difficulty was pretty fun.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Another Atari 2600 kid here. It wasn't ours, but the neighbours. I can remember playing the overhead boxing game. Probably called 'Boxing' or something else unimaginative. Later my sister and I used to jump the fence and play master system with them. I especially remember being confused by tge diving inputs for Summer Olympics and everyone gathering around when their cousin got to last castle in Alex Kidd in Miracle World. None of us had got that far before.

Yeah, boxing on the Atari is a stupid game.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Forgot to show off the recent finds. Crappy phone camera with crappy lighting ahoy, like so crappy I almost deleted them:

I posted about getting these last week or so from ebay for a song. Eye of the Beholder, Mickey Mouse Racing, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, and Duke Nukem Time to Kill. All are pretty cool and I was surprised at how thick Blaster Master's manual was.

I may be out of the loop Blaster Master wise, but I had no idea it had been anime-ed up to this extent. Everything I read about the game before buying it was pretty negative but really it's not too shabby and what can I say I enjoyed the NES game so much I couldn't say no.

These were my 2 local finds from resale shops this weekend. Caesar's Palace and DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 for Playstation. DBZ game is in like new condition which is the last thing I expected considering the manual/cover is missing. The Caesar's Palace game is interesting because it's a 1 disc game in a 2 disc box. The front says it would have included a guide to the real Caesar's Palace but it wasn't included. I'm too lazy to look up what it would have looked like but I'm a sucker for any fishing/gambling/bowling game so I had to buy it. These games were $1.50 each and I literally paid with change.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Tyson Tomko posted:

These were my 2 local finds from resale shops this weekend. Caesar's Palace and DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 for Playstation. DBZ game is in like new condition which is the last thing I expected considering the manual/cover is missing. The Caesar's Palace game is interesting because it's a 1 disc game in a 2 disc box. The front says it would have included a guide to the real Caesar's Palace but it wasn't included. I'm too lazy to look up what it would have looked like but I'm a sucker for any fishing/gambling/bowling game so I had to buy it. These games were $1.50 each and I literally paid with change.

I'm crazy jealous of that UB22. I used to play that game for hours when I was in high school, nearly burning out the motor in my PS1 booting it via the swap trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Man, I think the first game I ever played was one of these four:

Pooyan on the Tomy Tutor

Yar's Revenge

Pitfall(?) on a small computer type thing that used floppy disk.

Or this weird Spider Man game I can barely remember on another small computer but all I can remember of that was that the monitor only showed various hues of green and it might have been a text adventure???

• Locked thread