Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

To be fair, so would be any car with a similar level of performance.

Is there a road-legal car with the same level of performance as a modern superbike? If there is you're into hyper-exotica, and I'm willing to bet servicing on a Veyron or a Zonda is stupendously harder than on an S1000 or even an RSV4.

In fact:

quote:

The service schedule [for a Pagani Zonda], surprisingly, is not as bad as one might think. A full service is recommended every 6,000 miles. With a cost just over $2,000 (assuming no major work is required after full vehicle inspection) and includes engine, transmission, and differential oil changes. Spark plugs are recommended to be changed every 40,000 miles and the fuel tank must be replaced every ten years.

By comparison a Panigale needs a service every 7.5k and costs about £150 for a minor even at the ridiculously inflated Ducati dealer rates.

My Shiver only needs an oil, plugs, and filters change every 12k, with valve adjustment etc every 24k, and even though it's distinctly underwhelming performance-wise next to a superbike it'll still blitz the gently caress out of most things with 4 wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A good comparison would be a GT2 or GT3, which are pretty drat reliable.

Z3n posted:

I mean, you can shim it up and all, but I'm convinced that the reason the INTERNET has issues turning the bikes is because they're straight-arming them like newbs.

Not to mention that things like tire profile and carcass construction make a big difference on geometry but...honestly, most of the time, if you tell someone you fixed their bike, they'll swear it handles better.

Perhaps, it just seems like everyone you talk to running an 06-09 GSXR has fork extenders and a higher rear ride height than stock.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Today I almost lost the cone cap, exhaust tip, and spark arrester on my exhaust, because DRZs really will shake themselves apart. Luckily I noticed a really angry rattling sound that scared the poo poo out of me when I was going down the highway (Oh god is my chain dying??). So I pulled into the nearest gas station, got gas, and started inspecting different bits until I realized that the stupid exhaust tip for my muffler was in the wrong place. It turns out that the entire drat thing had rattled apart and the only thing left holding everything on the end of my exhaust together was 2 small hex screws (because one already fell out).

I think I'm going to go to home depot this week and invest in some new hex screws and loctite.

e: I should have cleaned the loving spark arrester off when I had the drat thing apart earlier :downs:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 10, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I never used to understand how a bike, especially a good-handling, good-performing sportsbike, could ever be thought of as 'boring' and I thought that was just pretentious bullshit spouted by people who want to justify riding ducatis and the like. I figured riding bikes fast is extremely exciting, regardless of what brand it is, and that itself was enough.

Then I owned a 919 hornet for a while and I realised that a bike can do everything perfectly well, be extremely well made and designed, and still make you want to get something else.

I went through this exact same thing when I had my '02 F4i.
It started. Every day. Even when it was cold. Even if i hadn't ridden it in a month. It rode straight, handled well and looked good. I could count on jumping on at any time and it would start up and be ready to go be it to work or a track day. It was fast yet still nice around town. It was even comfortable on longer trips.
I even rode it through a snow storm once because my truck was broken and I was dying for some BBQ.
When you think about it, it was pretty much the perfect bike.

I sold it after 10k miles and haven't had anything made after 1992 since.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think you're confusing 'likes character' with 'hates himself' :v:, I'd think thrice about owning anything pre-2000 at this point. Can't be hosed dealing with the hassle. I also want an actual proper v-twin sportsbike but will probably never own one until RC8's become cheap because I don't want to have to deal with a Ducati.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

I think you're confusing 'likes character' with 'hates himself' :v:, I'd think thrice about owning anything pre-2000 at this point. Can't be hosed dealing with the hassle. I also want an actual proper v-twin sportsbike but will probably never own one until RC8's become cheap because I don't want to have to deal with a Ducati.

If you come to freedomtown, you can ride my Uly.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

You don't get the RVT1000 or RC51?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We do. A price comparison, in brief:

I bought my 04 zx10 for $5400 which is a steal, market value is around 6,500-7,000 depending on condition/mileage.

An early 00's RC51 with the same mileage and condition? About $10,000. For a slower, older, heavier, larger bike. No thanks.

People are still shilling late 90's RSV milles and TL1000R's for upwards of 6k. Meanwhile you can get a K4 GSXR1000 for less than that.

edit: forgot to mention, these are all private seller prices. Good luck with a dealership if you want something for a decent price with less than 100kkm on the clock.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 10, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm sort of marginally considering an RC51 - you can find decent ones that are ugly with nice track focused mods for like 2.5k around here, occasionally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd be thrilled with an RC51 if I could get one for a price proportionate to the age and performance. Certain models of bike here command absolutely retarded premiums for seemingly no reason at all.

I mean, my god, right now on trademe (kind of like ebay) I can buy a 2006 zx14 with 80,000km for 7 grand. From a dealer, no less.

Or I can buy a 2003 RC51 SP2 for a mere $10,000 o.n.o.

American bike prices make me weep silent tears of sorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I'd be thrilled with an RC51 if I could get one for a price proportionate to the age and performance. Certain models of bike here command absolutely retarded premiums for seemingly no reason at all.

I mean, my god, right now on trademe (kind of like ebay) I can buy a 2006 zx14 with 80,000km for 7 grand. From a dealer, no less.

Or I can buy a 2003 RC51 SP2 for a mere $10,000 o.n.o.

American bike prices make me weep silent tears of sorrow.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4320882021.html

:effort:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's rough on the prices. When I was a new rider my buddy got one after having a 90s fzr. Sounds mean as hell. I only rode it once but I was a brand new rider so it terrified me and I didn't really 'ride' it.

Quick craiglist search showed this: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4283313493.html

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Oh jesus, all this time you've been lamenting your exceptionally high bike prices, and it turns out bikes are cheaper in NZ than here in Sweden. :sigh:

Fake edit: The cheapest 2006 ZX14 I can find right now is :siren:12k:siren: NZD eqv...

I can get a 2001 VTR1000 for just 7k NZD though! :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

That's rough on the prices. When I was a new rider my buddy got one after having a 90s fzr. Sounds mean as hell. I only rode it once but I was a brand new rider so it terrified me and I didn't really 'ride' it.

Quick craiglist search showed this: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4283313493.html

Americaaaaa :argh:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Slavvy at those prices you could probably come to Cali, buy two, ship them to NZ, and sell one to pay for the expenses.

I'd always heard the riding position on the RC51 was best described as 'uncompromising', though. The only bikes I've heard were less comfortable on the street were the contemporary Ducatis.

E: If you were going to go to that hassle, though, pick up a Mille and Tuono instead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wanted a mille until I had a really good look at one up close. I like them in theory, and they're probably great to ride, but the styling and build really don't do it for me at all. They cost similar money anyway, especially if you want the later kind with the dual headlights, radial brakes and all that other good stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I wanted a mille until I had a really good look at one up close. I like them in theory, and they're probably great to ride, but the styling and build really don't do it for me at all. They cost similar money anyway, especially if you want the later kind with the dual headlights, radial brakes and all that other good stuff.

You're probably better off going for the old shape (with the Mickey Mouse headlights) in the R trim level (don't worry about the SP, it's ridiculously overpriced) than the newer "V2" Mille in base trim. Over here at least the price is about the same even on bikes of same age and mileage (the wonders of pre-Piaggio stock control meant that there was a 2 year overlap). The radial brakes are cool and everything but the older ones are just as good, and IMO the older one is a much nicer-looking bike. Spares availability is about the same for both too (the engines being nearly identical, of course).

The only thing I can say for the V2 is that it (mostly, but not entirely) removes the slightly wooden feeling from the front end at turn-in that was most peoples complaint about the original.

The only thing I would say is that much as I loved my Mille R (and as much as the fuckers that stole it loved the very high level of extra equipment that comes as standard), it just isn't as special as a Ducati of similar vintage - at first glance it looks pretty much like any other late 90s/early 00s sportsbike, especially with the stock dustbin exhaust, whereas the Ducatis of the time still look like they've come direct from Planet Cool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I just emailed the seller because I have a problem with spending money on motorcycles. I should probably ride one of these things in case he emails me back and everything is legit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:neckbeard: Thanks Bugdrvr for the assistance, great time hanging out, and the b-12-piss-yellow Audi brake fluid! Gonna field test this on the way to work tomorrow. :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Definitely the shiniest part of the bike. I want my MC reservoir to look like a urine sample now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Theoretically brake fluid breaks down in UV light, so if you have a clear reservoir like that you should put a sweatband around it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd feel like such a tool. Plus I bleed my fluid every six months without fail, and my bike lives indoors, so I'm not worried. Moisture build-up is definitely the bigger enemy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just bought 2 of these canisters to mount to the front of my bike for 1 liter fuel bottle storage compartments. Planning on doing some traveling/backpacking through Appalachia in the spring and trying to get prepared. Also picked up some cotton duck fabric to make some sweet cheeks for my seat.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 12, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If I'm to get a sweatband to put over my reservoir, it's going to be one of my rolled up socks. A statement of its own, really~

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tore into the scooter's starter to clean it up a bit and found that it looked and smelled like it had been through multiple electrical fires. A new one was $29 :smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I tore into my bike's starter cause it was making horrible squealing noises, I decided to just leave it off entirely cause I have a kick start :smugdog:

don't ask me about stalling the bike at a stoplight or anything please

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

When I tore into my bike's starter cause it was making horrible squealing noises, I decided to just leave it off entirely cause I have a kick start :smugdog:

don't ask me about stalling the bike at a stoplight or anything please

kickstarts rule and more modern bikes should come with them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even with decompressors most modern engines would catapult you over the bars long before they'd actually start.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Only if your technique sucks. Also auto decomp is pretty neat.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ADINSX posted:

kickstarts rule and more modern bikes should come with them.

Pullstart all bikes :shepicide:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone post the KTM 1190 bumpstart vid

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The kickstart lever plus internal gearing is like two pounds. Every bike should have one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Totally agreed. It's admittedly a pain to *only* have a kickstart, but it's totally baller when I see some hot lady checkin me out as I'm gettin ready to go (cause I'm a badass motorcyclist wearing tight leather) and as she's walking by tryin to not look like she checkin I ram the kickstart down and roll on the throttle and it's all SNAP THUMP BRRAPPAPAABVOOOOOOOMMmmmm and she gets startled and looks straight over not even tryin to hide it any more and I don't even care anymore cause I'm just unbearably cool *flicks cigarette at u*

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If we can find a way to make that into a video with some angle grinder action I know a blog that will feature us

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Kickstart only is really not that annoying. I guess my RD isn't much to kick over, even after the increased compression.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've never had a kick bike but I imagine it's a bit like a mower or other small engine where you gotta get the piston in the right part of the stroke and then it's pie. Otherwise catastrophe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, not so much. You need to put a little weight on it first to get the slack out of the ratchet, and then just give it one long push downwards. You can feel the resistance change as the pistons go through the various strokes; on my bike, going through the full travel does what feels like 1.5-2 revolutions of the engine. Since it's a 180-degree crank you're pretty much guaranteed to hit at least one ignition somewhere in there so as long as the battery's charged it tends to start on the first kick.

Fun to do with the ignition off and the exhaust removed, too. Blup blup blup blup blup

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I've never had a kick bike but I imagine it's a bit like a mower or other small engine where you gotta get the piston in the right part of the stroke and then it's pie. Otherwise catastrophe.

Flooding sucks. Stalling sucks. Cold mornings suck. It feels good when you get it right, admittedly. But mostly it just sucks.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

nsaP posted:

I had the amazing luck of having an old 1988 Super Tenere kick back at me, where I ended up somersaulting over the handlebars, breaking left arm, left leg, and the bike toppled over and I got yelled at for being an idiot (which I was)

Nowdays each time I want to kickstart my friends old KLX-R i think three times before I do it, and try to find the proper position first :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On the Enfield, since it's a one-lunger, you just ease the piston over compression, set the kickstarter high again, and give it a good kick and everything works cherry. On the CB750 you just...kind of kick it. On the CB650 you don't kick it at all because Honda decided to not supply a kickstarter what the gently caress Honda it's a 1979 your starters aren't that good yet gently caress