Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I love Syd Mead. I had a No Grade Turn A for a while; that was an amazingly sturdy kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
It's not so much that Turn A is a bad design, it just doesn't feel like a Gundam to me. Maybe I need to get all Clockwork Orange on it this weekend and tape my eyelids open, but it just didn't do anything for me. On the other end of the spectrum, SEED is almost -too- gundam its all over-the-top weapons packs and such.

Back in my day, you had one saber, one rifle, and your wits. and you liked it!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

slightpirate posted:

It's not so much that Turn A is a bad design, it just doesn't feel like a Gundam to me. Maybe I need to get all Clockwork Orange on it this weekend and tape my eyelids open, but it just didn't do anything for me. On the other end of the spectrum, SEED is almost -too- gundam its all over-the-top weapons packs and such.

I think that's what most peoples' problem with the Turn-A: it's too far a departure from Gundam. For me, that's not really a problem, as I've seen a lot of Gundam at this point, and a large departure is welcome for me.

Personally, I don't like a lot of the later Gundam designs, such as the ones from SEED as I think they're overly busy and covered in weapons backpacks and stuff. My favorite Gundams are probably the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, the MK II, and the Turn A. None of those guys have any wings or backpacks or transform. I guess I like my Gundams plain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

slightpirate posted:

They're not so bad when you remember they're all prototypes and the Earth Alliance's first crack at making Mobile Suits. The mass-produced Strike Daggers and M1 Astrays are pretty basic in comparison.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Personally, I don't like a lot of the later Gundam designs, such as the ones from SEED as I think they're overly busy and covered in weapons backpacks and stuff. My favorite Gundams are probably the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, the MK II, and the Turn A. None of those guys have any wings or backpacks or transform. I guess I like my Gundams plain.

The only suits I found to be busy in SEED were the Aegis and Justice Gundams, (SPIKY PURPLE EVERYWHERE!) and some of the GINN's. The Freedom manages to pull off it's design because the wings extend in parallel rather than being all over the place, and they contrast the main body's colours.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm partial to the 00 Gundam, but that's probably just because I just finished watching that series. It wasn't bad! Surprisingly so, in fact. I mean, it's got some trope-heavy bits, but I liked most of the characters, and I really liked the much more primitive, "realistic" mecha designs at the start of the show. It was interesting seeing how the earth governments adapted to the vastly superior tech of the Celestial Being suits before coming up with designs that matched and even exceeded their power in some cases.

Edit: this sort of got away from me. I wish we'd get some MG kits of the other hero suits from 00. Maybe a combo kit with the Arios and the GN Archer.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 7, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think that's what most peoples' problem with the Turn-A: it's too far a departure from Gundam. For me, that's not really a problem, as I've seen a lot of Gundam at this point, and a large departure is welcome for me.

I actually agree with this in a way, but in sort of the opposite direction, if that makes sense. I like the weird excesses some designers get up to when they're not hindered by silly questions from on high like "can we animate this" or "does this fit within our design budget".

I kinda think designs are at their best when the designers start asking their own weird, experimental questions like "what if the backpack was bigger than the suit" or "does a mobile suit really need legs". Things like that are just as big of a departure, just in a different way.

slightpirate posted:

Back in my day, you had head mounted gatling guns, two sabers/lances, one rifle, one shield, a rocket-propelled flail Gundam Hammer, G-Fighter, mid-season electromagnetic joint upgrade, and your support artillery. and you liked it!

:v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly my biggest issue with the 00 Gundam is its head.

Everything else is nice and simple, to the point there's nothing to really complain about, but those gray parts on the side of the face make the face just look so small. Throw in the oversized forehead jewel and it just looks iffy.

Also if we're talking favorite Gundam design aspects, I love me some hardpoints. Detachable armor is another huge plus in my book. Basically there's a reason I really want a MG FA ZZ 2.0.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly my biggest issue with the 00 Gundam is its head.

Everything else is nice and simple, to the point there's nothing to really complain about, but those gray parts on the side of the face make the face just look so small. Throw in the oversized forehead jewel and it just looks iffy.

I never really noticed it before, but you're right about the oversized head gem looking ugly. That said, I fully expect the next RG after the Exia to be the 00, with a followup 0-Raiser kit, so if you're lucky that'd probably fix the head proportions.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also if we're talking favorite Gundam design aspects, I love me some hardpoints. Detachable armor is another huge plus in my book. Basically there's a reason I really want a MG FA ZZ 2.0.

The final kit in the Build Fighters line should just be the Hardpoint Gundam - A generic grey Gundam body, riddled with as many hardpoints as the designers can drill into the thing without it falling apart.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 7, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

S-Alpha posted:

Back in my day, you had head mounted gatling guns, two sabers/lances, one rifle, one shield, a rocket-propelled flail Gundam Hammer, G-Fighter, mid-season electromagnetic joint upgrade, and your support artillery. and you liked it!

Don't forget about the bazookas and Hyper Napalm, either (unless that was what you meant by support artillery, but I assumed that was referring the other V-project mechs).

E: Excuse me, 'Super Napalm'. Too many drat things in Gundam are Hyper, not least the Gundam X Maoh's version of the Satellite Cannon-- it's weaker than the original so it still confuses me why he slapped 'hyper' onto the name.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Because it sounds cooler.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Because Mao can fire it off like a hyperactive child.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Turn A is the cilantro of Gundams: you're either hard-wired to like the flavor or wrinkle your nose at the very thought of it.

The one I never could understand is Astray: layer upon layer of extraneous surface detail plus ridiculous over-the-top weapons and it's all so EXTREME and BADASS in a vaguely embarrassing middle-school way, yet people eat that poo poo right up for some reason.

Sorry, some people like to have fun.:colbert:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone built any of the Thunderbolt kits yet?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After about an hour of sanding down some thruster effect parts to get them to fit snugly in my HG Nu, you have no idea how silly I felt when I realized I could have just shoved some adhesive putty into the thrusters and stabbed the effect parts into it.

Anyways these things are pretty cool. I'll need to get another pack someday to get the last two thrusters on the backpack and the ones on the feet. Hell if I know what I'll do with the beam effect parts though, the four I got from this one already went on my Unicorn.

EDIT: And I guess I could get another ten packs to fit onto my Sazab- ahahaha gently caress that.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AzMiLion posted:

I would murder for an actual HG styled battlesuit or dreadnought kit.
Well, if you murdered the people who run GW maybe some actual human beings who aren't moustache-twirling evil businessmen who actively and publicly dislike their own customers will take over and give that a shot! :v:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd be fine with the design for Turn A if the mustache was on its forehead and if it had a mouth plate similar to other gundams. It looks like it wearing a ball gag with that big red block there. That and the open domed cockpit at the crotch. Not necessarily because it's phallic (Zone of the Enders is worse in that regard) but because there's not much point to the head if the pilot is seated outside of the body and doesn't need a camera to see. Other than that, the design is aces.

MEAT! fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 8, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

After about an hour of sanding down some thruster effect parts to get them to fit snugly in my HG Nu, you have no idea how silly I felt when I realized I could have just shoved some adhesive putty into the thrusters and stabbed the effect parts into it.

Anyways these things are pretty cool. I'll need to get another pack someday to get the last two thrusters on the backpack and the ones on the feet. Hell if I know what I'll do with the beam effect parts though, the four I got from this one already went on my Unicorn.

EDIT: And I guess I could get another ten packs to fit onto my Sazab- ahahaha gently caress that.

What product name do I search to find effect parts? Some quick searching didn't come up with anything and I'd really love to have some.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son Ryo posted:

What product name do I search to find effect parts? Some quick searching didn't come up with anything and I'd really love to have some.

You want the Builder's Parts line (make sure to read the label, they come in both 1/100 and 1/144 scale). They're official Bandai-made accessory bits.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

The Muffinlord posted:

I love Syd Mead. I had a No Grade Turn A for a while; that was an amazingly sturdy kit.

Turn A is the best looking Gundam by a fair margin, and the MG Turn A is amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually bust out laughing when I saw one of the GG comments to the HG Turn A was claiming that it wasn't good enough and that if Bandai really wanted to do a service for the fans they should make MG Turn A 2.0. Because if there is one MG that absolutely nailed things and doesn't need a 2.0, it's the Turn A.

I mean it nails the look, provides the white cross so you can get Mead's original design plan (which really does look much better), has all of the weapons it used on the show, features to this date completely unique engineering, and has the cow. What more do you want, fully articulated hands? It had those, just without finger articulation. Real Grade color separation? It had that too, though not as blatant. More detail? The thing is covered in panel lines. Improved articulation/balance? Doesn't need it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 8, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm pretty sure the Ootori pack is the most complicated part of the MG Strike Rouge. It's also pretty dope when completed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually bust out laughing when I saw one of the GG comments to the HG Turn A was claiming that it wasn't good enough and that if Bandai really wanted to do a service for the fans they should make MG Turn A 2.0. Because if there is one MG that absolutely nailed things and doesn't need a 2.0, it's the Turn A.

I mean it nails the look, provides the white cross so you can get Mead's original design plan (which really does look much better), has all of the weapons it used on the show, features to this date completely unique engineering, and has the cow. What more do you want, fully articulated hands? It had those, just without finger articulation. Real Grade color separation? It had that too, though not as blatant. More detail? The thing is covered in panel lines. Improved articulation/balance? Doesn't need it.

The MG Turn A is just about loving perfect and is like the crown jewel of my gunpla collection. That said, the Zaku II and Gouf 2.0s are also pretty close to being perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a 3.0 soon... (I also just picked up the Gelgoog 2.0 today, that should prove to be nice too.)

I'm pumped for the MG Turn X, though. It might be the first gunpla I actually preorder!

Speaking of remade model kits, I have an RX-78 3.0 and I have a few questions as I've never built a RG before. I know you're all going to tell me to not use the chrome stickers, but what happens when you put them on and then spray matte clear coat over them? Should I build the whole kit, clear coat the armor and internal frame and THEN apply the chrome stickers for the elbows and knees? I have painted the elbows and knees of some of my kits gold \ silver so they can have more of a "real grade" look.

I also just saw this video and I'm considering using Tamiya Weathering Master kits for my Gunpla because this guy's results look really good. Has anyone used these before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofur67iPXqI

I figure when I do get around to building my MG RX-78 3.0, I should use some of those to give it a more realistic look, because it has more surface detail and is going for "realism" instead of anime accuracy like the 2.0.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Why would you spray flat coat over a chrome sticker? :psyduck: You'll kill the shine, and that won't do much to address the stickers' main flaw of being ridiculously prone to scratching off anyways. Also top coat goes on at the end, over all the stickers. That's why it's called top coat.

Weathering sets are pretty handy, but they mostly just provide the materials. You need to know the techniques and have a good eye for weathering to actually make it work.

In other news, Unicorn Destroy Mode is probably the only thing that can make these weird crackly sabers work.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Any tips on getting a nice even coat using gundam markers?

This is my second attempt at painting a piece using them, this time using a brush to apply the paint rather than the marker itself. My first attempt was more uneven than this.

Also ignore the lack of masking, none of the type I have with me is very good so I was just practicing for the most part.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Why would you spray flat coat over a chrome sticker? :psyduck: You'll kill the shine, and that won't do much to address the stickers' main flaw of being ridiculously prone to scratching off anyways. Also top coat goes on at the end, over all the stickers. That's why it's called top coat.

Yeah, I know top coat kills the shine and should never be sprayed over chrome stickers and clear plastic, I was just kind of curious to see what would happen. I usually just put sticky tack or masking tape over a Gundams' eyes and cameras so I've never seen what happens when you spray clear coat over a foil sticker. All I know is it's bad.

Actually masking them would probably be drat near impossible so it would probably be best to just put them on at the end. Or better yet, not at all and just paint them.

Part of the reason I haven't gotten a Unicorn or Nu Gundam ver. ka is I dread the clear psychoframes. I'd probably have to completely disassemble them and take all the clear bits out, because it's probably impossible to really mask them off, and if you simply close them up, the dullcote is going to probably spray through the cracks and look bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

Any tips on getting a nice even coat using gundam markers?

The first tip is don't use gundam markers. They're best for small touchups like covering nubs, not for actually painting pieces. If you absolutely must use them though, you want to paint your piece in multiple thin coats, not all at once.

Gammatron 64 posted:

so I've never seen what happens when you spray clear coat over a foil sticker. All I know is it's bad.

You'll just get a non-shiny sticker, which kind of defeats the point of a foil sticker. And it's fine to spray clear coats over them, just make it a gloss coat.

quote:

if you simply close them up, the dullcote is going to probably spray through the cracks and look bad.

Nah, I sprayed my FA Unicorn while it was all closed up and the psychoframe was fine.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I just finished the Ootori Strike Rouge MG and drat that kit was a blast. I was laughing a bit at the fact the backpack was more intricate and a bit more difficult to build than the actual mobile suit, but I definitely got my cash out of it. I'll update this with pictures when I get home from work, but I feel pretty confident on this one and want some critique.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/ZP0TY

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 9, 2014

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Finished my second Gunpla ever. I decided to go with the SD Delta Plus this time and am really happy with how it turned out.

Couple of things: I went out and bought a set of metal files at Blick and they're fantastic. I file down the excess sprue and then sand it down further. I still haven't gotten the hang of cutting far enough away from the sprue to not stress out the plastic. Anyone have any pointers?

I haven't panel lined it yet but hopefully I'll do a better job on this one than the Wing. I bought black and grey fine line Gundam markers so I'll try those.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unpurposed posted:

I still haven't gotten the hang of cutting far enough away from the sprue to not stress out the plastic. Anyone have any pointers?

Seems like you answered your own question. If you arent cutting far away enough, then cut further away.
You can also get some premium nippers and not have that problem to begin with.

I like SDs because i never feel bad about messing up or not sanding. They are usually so cheap!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about your plastic stressing. Discolored spots where the nubs were are basically unavoidable, it's why well-engineered kits place the nubs where they can't be seen. I guess you could try using a hobby knife to trim the last bit of the sprue away and then sand, but that's a massive pain in the rear end and can very easily go wrong.

EDIT: Also, good job on your second kit! I barely see the nubs and the stickers were applied pretty well. There are a ton of seam lines all over it, but eh it's a SD kit.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 9, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Good job on the SD kit man. It definitely came along pretty nicely.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Everybody's got a gunpla! :3:

As for me, after another week for the last clear coat to cure, here it is at last!

I'm pretty pleased with the results, though as always it could be better in a few ways. I screwed a few decals up pretty bad but thankfully they aren't too visible in most poses. The panel lining could be better too, I used the bluish grey real touch marker and I think the regular grey would have been better. As for scratched paint, there obviously is some, mostly around the back of the knees, which you might be able too see in the second pic. Much less than I'd feared though; I think letting the painted parts sit for a week and more before messing with them helped, as well as taking care to only paint what would be visible. I like how the back of the shield turned out, though I should have done the round part of the psycoframe pieces too.

Unicorn mode is all well and good, but what we're really here for is Destroy mode:

The work I did on the psycoframe is more noticeable under bright light, but there's definitely more depth to it and the gloss clear on it helps it shine more. I probably should have made the silver on the back a bit thicker to make it shimmer a bit more, but I was concerned about making those pieces larger than I had too. Not pictured: transformed feet. I hate the foot transformation; it looks dumb and messes with his balance and poseability. Not an issue if I were to use an action base, but I want this guy on my desk and there's not room for a base.

Got a few bad nubs where I was overzealous with the hobby knife, particularly that atrocious one right on top of the cockpit hatch, ugh. Overall though, when viewed from a reasonable distance I think it looks pretty good and I'm quite happy with it. Let me know what you think!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Great result and it's quite amazing what not transforming the feet does for the overall look really; much more proportional like this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks pretty drat awesome to me. Though I'm curious as to how you manage to avoid descending into madness and stabbing someone with a hobby knife while screaming "THE STICKERS! SO MANY STICKERS!", out of frustration from applying all those teensy little decals.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks good! Mine is still in 400 pieces.

Did you silver all the psycoframe pieces or just the larger ones?

I had a tough time telling which of the multiple very similar greys each part was supposed to be; the manual was kind of a letdown in that regard.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So now that you're done with it, has your opinion of MG Unicorn changed any?

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks pretty drat awesome to me. Though I'm curious as to how you manage to avoid descending into madness and stabbing someone with a hobby knife while screaming "THE STICKERS! SO MANY STICKERS!", out of frustration from applying all those teensy little decals.

I used the waterslide decal set from the ver Ka kit, so those aren't stickers. I can't imagine using the stickers; some of those decals only fit in place because the waterslides are pliable and can fold while they're still wet. That said, 200+ waterslides will drive you insane pretty quick, even if they're small and easy like most of these were. I took a lot of breaks.

Midjack posted:

Looks good! Mine is still in 400 pieces.

Did you silver all the psycoframe pieces or just the larger ones?

Everything exposed got silvered. Some of the small pieces on the head and shoulder thingies were fully silvered and then painted clear red since they don't really sit behind anything.

BlitzBlast posted:

So now that you're done with it, has your opinion of MG Unicorn changed any?

I didn't really have an opinion of it to begin with, honestly. I'd seen a lot of thoughts regarding the kit here and wanted to see for myself. I like it personally, but I can see how it might not be for everyone. It's definitely more of a display piece than something you can really play with, and I'm okay with that, since most of my kits just sit on the shelf and look pretty.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So in a stunning display of effort,

the HGUC V2 is incompatible with the 1/144's V2's WoL. The effect parts can slot in perfectly, but the length of the boosters and the angle of the incline is different so it's not a tight fit.

Though if you can spare two seconds, it's easy enough to fix the first problem. Tip for anybody else who decides to do this: trace a line over the area you want to cut with your hobby knife first, or else your cutters will sort of snap the plastic off instead of making a clean cut. One of my V2's WoL is kind of hosed up now. :negative:

EDIT: Incidentally, the fact that there are slots for WoL effect parts and a bunch of modular spots on the runners is pretty much proof that HG V2A/B are going to be a thing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 10, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Mecha Model Guide for Beginners was written by a group out of Canada calling themselves Mono Eye Press after being funded on IndieGoGo last year and just released as an ebook:
http://www.amazon.com/Mecha-Model-G...cha+model+guide

And hard copy:
https://www.createspace.com/4549402

I backed them because why not and got my hard copy backer reward last week.

The book begins with a 10-page history of anime toys with a focus on Gundam model kits and goes into some detail about the interplay between Sunrise and Bandai, 10 pages on basic tools, and another 10 pages on paint types and techniques. The remainder of the book details the builds of an HG Exia, 1/100 NG Blaze Zaku Phantom, HGUC RX-78-2 Gundam, and a 1/100 HG Deathscythe Hell Custom, each of which are used to illustrate panel lining, sanding curved surfaces, puttying, weathering, fixing seam lines, etc. The book has a large number of detailed photographs of the tools it describes and of the kits in progress and I thought the illustrations that accompanied the technique descriptions were very easy to follow.

There is nothing in here that is earth shattering or new. However, it doesn't look like rear end when printed out like many web tutorials do, which is worth the price of admission for the ebook. I would recommend this as a companion for someone's first Gundam model, printed out so they can have it right there when working on the kit. You may also find some value in showing it to people who aren't sure about what goes into this whole model building hobby to help them decide.

They plan to put out a followon volume for "intermediate level" though I don't know when they plan to get it underway. They did mention that they expected it to be faster than this one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:negative:

Goddammit Bandai, I held off so long, but looks like I need to get this drat thing now. You know just how to manipulate me.

Honestly, I can't even notice the cut you're talking about, it looks really great.

Oblique Angle posted:

That said, 200+ waterslides will drive you insane pretty quick, even if they're small and easy like most of these were. I took a lot of breaks.

All three done in a row, decal madness is a disease, and I think I have it. (Not shown: An MG Sinanju going through the same decal process.) :shepicide:

• Locked thread