Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am kind of a mac newbie, but could use some help dealing with a presentation issue. I have a new macbook pro which I am hooking up to a projector and controlling via interactive whiteboard. My goal is to be able to present slideshows using mathematica.

Mathematica's slideshow navigation toolbar sits at the very top of the screen, and I can't figure out how to actually move it. The top-center of the screen is absolutely the most irritating place to put a slideshow navigation tool, as it requires me to place my fat rear end right in front of the projected screen and reach up to change to the next slide. Ideally, I could have a button off to the side of the screen I could simply tap.

PageUp and PageDown keyboard commands will also switch from slide to slide. Is there any way I can get movable on-screen buttons that will send that keypress when I click them? Basically, I am looking for something like an on-screen keyboard, with with only page up and page down.
I know it is strange to reply to my own post, but I figured out a solution if anybody is interested. I dicked around the accessibility options, and found this thing called switch control. With it, it is easy enough to set up my own custom controls that become visible in the application of my choice. Added two clickable buttons and set them to page up and page down. When switch control is on, I get a little window that looks like this when mathematica is up. I can drag it, change the opacity, and click on the buttons to have them do what I told them to do. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That's an awesome solution to your problem! Going to have to remember that if I'm ever in a similar situation. I always assumed switch controls only meant physical switches.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo Apple. That's such a neat feature.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, it is actually pretty cool. Switch control lets you create panels with custom controls that do whatever you tell them to do. You can set it to press a sequence of keys, open an app, run a script, or whatever. Here is what my basic little panel looks like in the editor.

You can see I have the button action set to press a key sequence, and I have the key set to page up.

Still pretty new to mac myself, but I thought this was a pretty neat solution to the problem. Guess this is something new added in the most recent version of the OS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's an iOS feature as well

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5886

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm planning to reinstall OSX on one of my Macs to see if it gets rid of a few issues I've been having.

I'm going to make a second backup of everything (including the things I don't normally back up), then erase the SSD from the recovery partition and reinstall, then restore from the backup.

Will that work out OK for everything? Will my iTunes folder and other aliases be recreated automatically?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been having an issue where none of my VPN connections using the OSX client are connecting, I think this started after upgrading to Maverick. Has anyone run into this and found a reliable fix? I've found suggestions to replace the racoon executable or modify sysctl.conf, both of which look sketchy.

Edit: Nevermind, running repair permissions seems to have solved it...

Ashex fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 8, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This may be another dumbass question, but is there any way I can create a folder on my dock that has a group of apps in it without grouping those apps in the applications folder in OSX itself?

It drives me nuts having icons for Logic Pro X, ProTools, my MOTU apps and all that separately when any time I fire ONE of them up, I fire them all up.

Alternatively, is there any way I could automate that? Say, click 'ProTools' and have it open everything at once? Hell, if I could even have it shut down all the other running apps and open my production set that'd be loving cool.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A folder elsewhere on your computer filled with the aliases to those applications?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Use automator to create a workflow application that you can click and it launches everything you need?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ashex posted:

Edit: Nevermind, running repair permissions seems to have solved it...

Unless the log actually showed it fixing something relevant to VPN, repair permissions is unlikely to have been the real fix.

If you rebooted, that was probably what did it. I've seen this many times before (starting in 10.6, which did it a lot), and a reboot always fixed it. The VPN service sometimes gets in a bad state where it won't connect, and rebooting "fixes" it by reloading it from scratch.

Alternatively you can reload it from the command line, which may fix the issue without a full reboot:

sudo launchctl stop com.apple.racoon
sudo launchctl start com.apple.racoon

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Use automator to create a workflow application that you can click and it launches everything you need?

Holy poo poo this is amazing, thank you!

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

snakeater posted:

I want to go from a couple of avi files to a DVD (with menu) without losing quality over a 10 hour transcode.

So just in case anyone was wondering, the best way to do this is apparently DVD Studio Pro 4 (circa 2005).

Lookin' good.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

iostream.h posted:

This may be another dumbass question, but is there any way I can create a folder on my dock that has a group of apps in it without grouping those apps in the applications folder in OSX itself?

It drives me nuts having icons for Logic Pro X, ProTools, my MOTU apps and all that separately when any time I fire ONE of them up, I fire them all up.

Alternatively, is there any way I could automate that? Say, click 'ProTools' and have it open everything at once? Hell, if I could even have it shut down all the other running apps and open my production set that'd be loving cool.

Here is one option:
1. Tag all the stuff you want with one of the tags (The default color things)
2. Create a new smart folder and start typing the name of your tag in the search box, and then select the tag
3. Save the smart folder and it will ask if you want to add it to the sidebar and say yes
4. Drag that smart folder to the dock

Anything you tag in the future with the same tag will show up in there as well.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I apologize if this has been done to death, but I'm questioning whether or not it is worth running the apple software firewall that's available in Mavericks. To make a long story short, I had my late-2013 rMBP running back in the 'States with an Apple TV doing my streaming/airplay stuff. I had a decent Netgear class-N router of sorts that really worked quite well and never had connectivity issues for Airplay devices, and my Win7 PC, my Mac and all the Airplay crap happily worked together.

Now I've moved to Germany and got a DSL modem/router combo with a class b/g router from O2. Now, for some stupid reason, the firewall on my Mac decided that the airplay device I purchased (it's a cheap-but-nice Logitech UE Airplay Speaker) is VERBOTEN from accessing my Mac, meaning that I cannot access the airplay device from iTunes nor the option+click on the volume button in OSX. However, when I turn off the firewall the Mac sees the Airplay device right away, and everything works just fine.

After researching this on Google and such I'm finding the answer most people are getting is something like "Well turn your firewall off, problem solved. :smug:" but that makes me paranoid as gently caress. Honestly, before coming to Germany I had only seen O2 once before and I imagine they're something like Verizon/Comcast/Time Warner in the US where they use the cheapest poo poo money can buy for their router/WiFi setup, and I'm not 100% sure if their modem has a decent firewall. Therefore, I'd like to leave the software firewall on if possible.

Does anyone know how effective the Mavericks built-in firewall is, and if it's worth leaving on and sacrificing Airplay support? Ultimately if killing the firewall is a dumb idea (which I imagine it is) I'm probably going to shut off the wireless on the O2 modem and buy an Airport Express or other wireless router that will play nice with Airplay, and run it that way. Any advice you can offer is really appreciated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are you being a router that does NAT (do you get a 192.168.x.x IP address at home)? Then shut it off.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Are you being a router that does NAT (do you get a 192.168.x.x IP address at home)? Then shut it off.

Yeah, 192.168.1.1 is the router's gateway, and that's what I am connected through. So essentially I don't need to worry about external port scanning crap harming me (unless I decide to take it to a public WiFi spot)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, 192.168.1.1 is the router's gateway, and that's what I am connected through. So essentially I don't need to worry about external port scanning crap harming me (unless I decide to take it to a public WiFi spot)?

For the most part. Instead you need to be worried about having out of date apps and things like Flash/Java exploits.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anybody having godawful performance in iPhoto 9.5.1 when scrolling around a panoramic photo? I'm running 10.9.1 on a 2010 Macbook.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there any way to use my macbook as an airplay monitor for my iOS device?

vvvv Thank you!

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 10, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I like AirServer: http://www.airserver.com

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Relevant backstory: I attempted suicide last year and wiped all my devices from the iCloud website. Now I'm trying to recover my encrypted data. I've attempted to recover my Apple ID to get at that data. I turned on Two Step Authentication and lost my password, recovery keys, and trusted devices (once devices are wiped, they generate a new UUID so they're seen as a new device), so Apple Support says I'm SOL on that route.

I have two remaining options:

1) Send a platter drive removed from my Mac mini server to a data recovery service willing to attempt recovering a wiped FileVault 2 encrypted partition for which I know the encryption key.
Odds of success: slim-to-none
Costs if successful: at least 1000 USD, probably 2000+

2) An external HD connected to the Mac mini server doesn't appear to be wiped, but because it was FileVault 2 encrypted using a randomly generated password, I can only attempt brute forcing the password.
Odds of success: okay-to-slim
Costs: don't know how to brute force it, but very likely to take a long, long time

3) Your solution here...

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

wolffenstein posted:

Now I'm trying to recover my encrypted data.

If you have no password, trusted devices, or recovery key, even Apple can't get back into your account. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5577

If you wiped the Mac Mini from iCloud, then the encryption keys for the data have been trashed and the data isn't recoverable, even by a data recovery service or (until Snowden says otherwise) the NSA.
What encryption key do you think you know? The password and the recovery key won't help you after an iCloud wipe. Unless you saved the wipe key data itself... https://code.google.com/p/libfvde/ http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/374.pdf

Check out https://www.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_Security_Oct12.pdf
for an example of the crazy stuff Apple does to keep stuff secure on iOS.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Ripoff posted:

Does anyone know how effective the Mavericks built-in firewall is, and if it's worth leaving on and sacrificing Airplay support? Ultimately if killing the firewall is a dumb idea (which I imagine it is) I'm probably going to shut off the wireless on the O2 modem and buy an Airport Express or other wireless router that will play nice with Airplay, and run it that way. Any advice you can offer is really appreciated.

Do you have the option checked in the advanced firewall options to block all incoming connections? If so it prevents airplay from discovering devices, or connecting. I was having a problem a while back where I couldn't figure out why I couldn't airplay and it was because I forgot to turn off the block incoming connections after returning from a trip (I always crank it up when I have to get on a hotel or other shared network).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

chimz posted:

If you have no password, trusted devices, or recovery key, even Apple can't get back into your account. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5577
My experiences with account recovery processes for Google and others say otherwise. I plan to write up in detail how I was able to recover most of my online accounts despite turning on two factor authentication whenever possible. I'm certain it's very possible for Apple to reset the Apple ID password, but because they did a great job of making their support processes ensure that this isn't possible for the working from home support staff, I essentially need to know someone at Apple with that level of access or above. If anything, I still applaud most of Apple's efforts to ensure account security. The whole point of using TFA and randomly generated passwords was to ensure social engineering like what I'm doing doesn't work. I knew that when I wiped all my devices.

quote:

If you wiped the Mac Mini from iCloud, then the encryption keys for the data have been trashed and the data isn't recoverable, even by a data recovery service or (until Snowden says otherwise) the NSA.
What encryption key do you think you know? The password and the recovery key won't help you after an iCloud wipe. Unless you saved the wipe key data itself... https://code.google.com/p/libfvde/ http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/374.pdf
Right before I wiped the devices, I researched how the iCloud remote wipe process works and found mostly nothing indicating how it works on a platter drive, so yes it's reasonable to assume they're treated just like the SSDs where the encryption keys are wiped but the data remains intact. The white paper you linked indicates it may be possible to recreate the encryption key using a user account password and regenerating the keys on the affected hardware (meaning I'd mail my Mac mini and its drive). The paper mentions there may be static values used for generating encryption keys for device compatibility reasons, so if that's still true for 10.8.5 (what was installed at time of wiping), then it may even work on the first try.

quote:

Check out https://www.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_Security_Oct12.pdf
for an example of the crazy stuff Apple does to keep stuff secure on iOS.
Quite aware of it. In fact this document is what helped me figure out how to allow iPads to connect to wifi after restoring from backup. Answer: use an open (but probably hidden) network. Incredibly useful when I mass deploying thousands of them.

Again I applaud most of Apple's efforts to secure accounts and devices. Preventing pasting in password fields though? That's only punishing people with the good sense of using a password manager. Heck I could probably remember my Apple ID password myself if I had the time. I certainly remember what special characters I used.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

wolffenstein posted:

Again I applaud most of Apple's efforts to secure accounts and devices. Preventing pasting in password fields though? That's only punishing people with the good sense of using a password manager.

Where do they prevent paste?

I blanked on a password for three months once. Tried so many goddamn variations and nothing... Then one day it just hit me. Good luck.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

The white paper you linked indicates it may be possible to recreate the encryption key using a user account password and regenerating the keys on the affected hardware (meaning I'd mail my Mac mini and its drive). The paper mentions there may be static values used for generating encryption keys for device compatibility reasons, so if that's still true for 10.8.5 (what was installed at time of wiping), then it may even work on the first try.

I read through the paper and I'm afraid that you're screwed. What I take away from it is that the important encryption keys are not predictable at all (if they were, FV2 security would be essentially useless). They're always generated by a pseudorandom number generator (PRNG), and the paper's analysis establishes that Apple's PRNG and seeding are strong enough as a whole to make brute force attacks futile.

The static value the paper mentions is part of the cryptograhic hash algorithm Apple uses to transform a passphrase (a user account password or a recovery key) into an encryption key. (More on that algorithm below.) In FV2, these passphrase-derived keys are used to decrypt a key encrypting key (KEK), which is then used to decrypt the volume master key (VMK), which is (finally!) the crypto key that actually unlocks the volume. A small area at the start of the disk stores multiple passphrase-encrypted copies of the KEK (one per passphrase), and one encrypted copy of the VMK (encrypted with the KEK). The VMK, KEK, and salt for the passphrase hashes are all randomly generated and should never be the same across any two FV2 volumes, even if you make them on the same computer using the same OS.

The remote wipe presumably erases the key storage area. If so, it doesn't matter whether you can re-derive the passphrase derived key. There's no encrypted copies of the KEK left to decrypt using that key, and more importantly no encrypted copy of the VMK to decrypt with the KEK.

The static value the paper mentions won't help you. Apple is using a cryptographic one-way hash to transform a passphrase into a fixed length key, but instead of running this hash algorithm once they loop its output back through itself 41000 (the "static value") times. This is solely to make passphrase based brute force attacks on an intact FV2 volume harder -- an attacker needs 41,000x as much time to try each guessed password as they would if Apple had used 1 round of hashing. But in your situation an attacker could guess your exact passphrase and it wouldn't help at all.

Basically the only hope I can see is if (a) the disk is a SSD and (b) Apple just overwrites the key storage area. In that scenario you have a small chance; if you can figure out how to do a raw dump of the SSD's flash media (not necessarily easy) you may be able to recover the key storage area since SSDs don't erase overwritten data immediately.

But if the SSD has already recycled any of those blocks (and note, they often do so if left powered on long enough, without any initiating event on your part!), or if Apple uses Secure Erase, or if Apple even does a custom firmware extension to let them "secure erase" individual blocks (wouldn't put it past them to request that as a feature for Apple branded SSDs), you're out of luck.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 10, 2014

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

wolffenstein posted:

Maybe you accept the fact that you're still alive and whatever data may be out there (which it probably isn't in a physical form) is part of a past you were trying to kill off anyways? Start fresh. Like a new email address after you got hacked. Everything's fresh and new.

Anything that is truly needed and cannot be re downloaded or made is a phone call away to fix (like bank accounts, tax return docs, etc)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

Where do they prevent paste?

I blanked on a password for three months once. Tried so many goddamn variations and nothing... Then one day it just hit me. Good luck.

http://appleid.apple.com and most Apple ID prompts in iOS to name the examples off the top of my head.

BobHoward posted:

FileVault 2 paper analysis

I read it at 2 am tired as poo poo, and well that's what I get. So essentially option 1 is out. I don't suppose you have any idea on how to do option 2?

FlashBangBob posted:

Maybe you accept the fact that you're still alive and whatever data may be out there (which it probably isn't in a physical form) is part of a past you were trying to kill off anyways? Start fresh. Like a new email address after you got hacked. Everything's fresh and new.

Anything that is truly needed and cannot be re downloaded or made is a phone call away to fix (like bank accounts, tax return docs, etc)

I'm not taking offense to this only because you're not aware of my reasons for attempting suicide and the events that happened after my attempt. However this is almost the worst advice you can give to someone in my situation, second to it's better being alive. It's very much like telling homeless people to bootstrap themselves and get a job. I'm getting the treatment I need for my conditions. Besides, I got my email address back as well as most of my other accounts.

Actually what I haven't gotten back is my Apple ID and data, my Twitter accounts, my Dropbox data, and my GitHub account. Those four are the only sites that are strictly enforcing the point of Two Factor Authentication, so be aware of this when using it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I'm not taking offense to this only because you're not aware of my reasons for attempting suicide and the events that happened after my attempt. However this is almost the worst advice you can give to someone in my situation, second to it's better being alive. It's very much like telling homeless people to bootstrap themselves and get a job. I'm getting the treatment I need for my conditions. Besides, I got my email address back as well as most of my other accounts.

Maybe don't start your tech advice questions with "HAY GUYS TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE" if you don't want people giving you "the worst advice" about it. Dude was just trying to help, no need to try and make him feel lovely about it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If I didn't mention the suicide attempt, most responses would have been, "why did you wipe all your devices? that makes no sense!"

Again, I'm not taking offense to it. I'm sorry my response was condescending. The lack of awareness behind saying such things is how those who attempt suicide once are likely to do it again. Depression is so prevalent at least in the United States yet so few people know what to do about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did you make an E/N thread? Don't mean to sound macabre but I wouldn't mind reading the whole story.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

wolffenstein posted:

If I didn't mention the suicide attempt, most responses would have been, "why did you wipe all your devices? that makes no sense!"

Again, I'm not taking offense to it. I'm sorry my response was condescending. The lack of awareness behind saying such things is how those who attempt suicide once are likely to do it again. Depression is so prevalent at least in the United States yet so few people know what to do about it.

I plenty know about the effects of depression and suicide. My suggestion was that:

quote:

Actually what I haven't gotten back is my Apple ID and data, my Twitter accounts, my Dropbox data, and my GitHub account. Those four are the only sites that are strictly enforcing the point of Two Factor Authentication, so be aware of this when using it.

All of this is just stuff. Twitter accounts, unless you are like @Wolf or something isn't important at all. Dropbox data... Its all just files, could have pictures.. but really not a big deal. Github may have a multi-million dollar project in it, but I doubt it.

The only thing I could see having a financial impact what so ever is purchased apps on the Apple account, which you'd have to re-purchase. But there's only like.. 10 apps that are really worth using so that can't be that big of a deal.

I've restarted my email/apple/everything after being ID thefted. It had some initially "oh man thats going to suck", but I'm still humming along just fine. I've already forgotten the actual name of the email that got hacked (was 8 years ago though).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bob Morales posted:

Did you make an E/N thread? Don't mean to sound macabre but I wouldn't mind reading the whole story.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608048

FlashBangBob posted:

I plenty know about the effects of depression and suicide. My suggestion was that:

All of this is just stuff. Twitter accounts, unless you are like @Wolf or something isn't important at all. Dropbox data... Its all just files, could have pictures.. but really not a big deal. Github may have a multi-million dollar project in it, but I doubt it.

The only thing I could see having a financial impact what so ever is purchased apps on the Apple account, which you'd have to re-purchase. But there's only like.. 10 apps that are really worth using so that can't be that big of a deal.

I've restarted my email/apple/everything after being ID thefted. It had some initially "oh man thats going to suck", but I'm still humming along just fine. I've already forgotten the actual name of the email that got hacked (was 8 years ago though).

I get what you're saying, and yeah I'm not going to spend a good amount of time on this. I just wanted to see if I could recover mainly the encrypted data sitting on my external HD. It not only has all of my data, but data that belongs to family and friends. Recovering my GitHub account would be nice because it's my professional portfolio that is helpful for my job search, but I can create a new account and fork all my projects if needed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hate to say it, but aside from cryptographically attacking it, there really isn't a way to get the data decrypted. Essentially, the feature is designed for people with very sensitive data on their computers to destroy that data in the event of theft/losing the computer. Having a method of undoing that process would punch holes in it as the thief could attempt to use those methods to gain access.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Every AppleID prompt I've seen on iOS can be pasted into. I know this because I don't actually know what my AppleID password is, I just go into 1password and copy it :v:

The only one I can remember giving me trouble is the change password field paypal has, it won't let me paste the password I just generated.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

I read it at 2 am tired as poo poo, and well that's what I get. So essentially option 1 is out. I don't suppose you have any idea on how to do option 2?

Afraid not, I've never looked into brute force crackers for that kind of thing.

The paper's analysis of Apple's PRNG suggests it would be futile to attempt anyways. They say Apple is seeding with at least 320 bits of entropy (potentially a lot more if it's not the first boot or the computer has been up a long time before creating the encrypted volume), and that ought to be enough to put a directed brute force search for possible keys way out of reach.

I'm amused at all the self righteousness you've attracted here and in e/n. Depression can hit anyone. Sounds like you're doing better, and please continue irritating people who try to shame you for not treating it like a taboo subject. (Seriously guys, he mentioned it briefly and in passing in his initial post and it gets you that bent out of shape? And what's with this amateur "OMG formerly suicidal guy is too attached to his old life!!!" psychoanalysis?)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly you are better off putting your efforts into dealing with recreating anything you've missed or just using it as a opportunity to start with a clean slate. You aren't getting anything back that was encrypted if you've overwritten the keys.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Last post and then I'll drop the subject.

Um, it turns out the drive from my server didn't get wiped. It's perfectly intact. The remote wipe command might still be active, so I'm backing up files first before connecting to the Internet. I feel like a dumbass for not checking the drive earlier; I knew if it got powered on again, the very slim possibility it could be recovered would be lost once the platter started spinning.

I'm glad I'm not the only one laughing at the E/N thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
This is an issue squarely at the intersection of OS X, iOS and iPhone - but here goes anyway: my girlfriend and I have a shared iCloud calendar. It works perfectly in all regards except that custom alert times are not honoured. If I add an event to the shared calendar with, say, a 5-hour prior alert - she'll be notified of the event addition immediately and all fields will be propagated to her phone except the alert time - which, on her phone, will be set to 15 minutes.

Is there any way to achieve this? Calendaring is such a pain in the rear end - there are so many little edge cases like this.