Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was under the impression from other forums that Enthusiast is pretty hated, some people will flat out refuse to sell to them. The asking price on a lot of those cars is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

God drat they want a lot of money for those cars. I love pretty much all M cars but for the price they want there are a ton of better cars out there unless you've really got a boner for a specific year/color/package combo.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Enthusiast auto is for lazy people who want to put zero effort into finding a car and don't care that they are overpaying by thousands. Their e36 prices are downright hilarious. 17k for an alpine on dove M3 with 88k on it? Ha.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bet this $17,500 M3 was never raced or taken to an Oakland sideshow. Props for no engine mods, though.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4296005893.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
poo poo transmission, poo poo mods, oh but it has new 10 dollar RTABS!

That car would have a hard time going for 8k I think.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Craigslist is stupid but idiots don't justify the pricing from EA. You can find good examples on e46fanatics, m3forums and bimmerforums. If you're dumb enough to buy an SMG you can get them for ridiculous prices because no enthusiast wants them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Heck ya, you gotta find the nuggets on the BMW Forums or BMWCCA before EA finds them....it's just refreshing to see the stock clean cars they have compared to the poor 5th owner beasts with RIMZ on CL.

My 135k 2002 330i E46 sold super quick back in December for right under $10k mostly due to BMWCCA traffic, 2nd owner, full records. Still get random emails for it since it was in the Bimmer mag. The car was proactively dialed in and taken care of and obviously worth more than the $6k KBB garbage.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 8, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Unnngggh that car looks good. Stupid California hitler plates.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I took my front plate off here in San Diego about a year ago. Only ticket I got was in West Hollywood ($10). San Diego cops just don't give a poo poo.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

At 340k my '84 528e is now actively trying to kill me. Today I decided to upgrade a little.

It even came with a present!

It is a 2002. I have never owned a car this nice. It has a god damned heated steering wheel!

Now please excuse me while I go figure out how to turn the drat alarm off because I am bad with remotes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A BMW and lots of PBR, are you me?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit all you Touring owners are making me jealous. I feel like at some point I should own something besides BMW's (not counting my Subaru I had in college and parents minivan in high school). But there are so many I want to own, and when I see another car and think "hey that's kinda cool I wouldn't mind owning one of those" I think of about 10 equivalent or cheaper BMWs I'd rather buy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Luckily I already own the only BMW I like that I can afford.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Any of you cold weather E46 drivers beware of your oil separator; mine froze up and failed (shut, mercifully) on Tuesday night, creating James Bond-like smoke from the exhaust and a gigantic oily mess all over my engine compartment after the increased crankcase pressure blew oil all over the engine bay through my (original) valve cover gasket. One cold weather CCV kit (which I might add isn't a solution to the frozen oil separator problem), valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket later and I'm back on the road.

I'm just glad the CCV didn't fail open; it would have been new engine time if that happened.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

I took my front plate off here in San Diego about a year ago. Only ticket I got was in West Hollywood ($10). San Diego cops just don't give a poo poo.

You will eventually get your rear end handed to you since all the red light operators require front plate pics for their tickets and cops are enforcing.

Hell, I gave up this fight in 2003 when I got a fix it ticket while the car was parked at a mall, fer crissakes....just don't care now as I want zero excuses to get pulled over.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I just run the car with the temporary tags and dealer placard... for years.

Today I took the car in to get the wipers replaced under the ultimate service/free maintenance whatever it is. I wouldn't bother otherwise but I can't bring myself to spend money on wipers when they're free and I get a wash & vacuum included. In fact outside of enabling my laziness I think the best part about BMW maintenance is free car cleaning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cobalt60 posted:

Based on his humblebrags, I'd gather Dr. VeliciBacon is fine with overspending for a hyper-custom middle-class-looking car.

To be actually helpful, if you're researching the BMW option, the big note on BMWs is that there's very little worth modding. This is even more true with the M-series. You'll find nearly nowhere to squeeze out more HP, questionable suspension tweaks "for feel," and tremendously unnecessary brake upgrades "for track days."

Not a doctor/rich. It's good to hear that the BMW engineers didn't leave much on the table.

What's wrong with the SMG besides the fact it's convertible? Way heavier?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

What's wrong with the SMG besides the fact it's convertible? Way heavier?

The SMG in the E46 M3 has very high failure rates and they are retardedly expensive to replace. The 6-speeds, on the other hand, are drat near bulletproof. So even ignoring the whole manual vs. auto debate, there are some serious factors that heavily favor the manual over the SMG for a used, out-of-warranty car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Plus they are sorta miserable for daily driving.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't buy a car with SMG either, but this is a pretty cool upgrade, and I have to wonder if it improves reliability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTN_ylF5YRI

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
See Hello Ladies with Steven Merchant for the lifestyle of a "vintage" 90's BMW convertible owner.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Das Volk posted:

I wouldn't buy a car with SMG either, but this is a pretty cool upgrade, and I have to wonder if it improves reliability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTN_ylF5YRI

The original did all those things. Throttle cut on upshifts and blips on downshifts. I guess that upgrade does it... better?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ziploc posted:

The original did all those things. Throttle cut on upshifts and blips on downshifts. I guess that upgrade does it... better?

I didn't think it did that stuff, huh, no idea what that is for, then.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The best OEM+ route for E36 bluetooth is still CD43 + whatever bluetooth dongle right?

Long shot, anyone wanna sell me a CD43?

I'm leaning toward Soundplicity. Though more expensive than the other DICE derivatives, they're still supporting the device in North America.

Thoughts/experiences?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Crustashio posted:

Enthusiast auto is for lazy people who want to put zero effort into finding a car and don't care that they are overpaying by thousands. Their e36 prices are downright hilarious. 17k for an alpine on dove M3 with 88k on it? Ha.

There was a pretty clean stock black/white e36 M3 here for sale when I was car shopping last winter with like 80k on it that was selling for 9k. I didn't really want another BMW but it was mighty tempting to grab

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm considering selling my 2013 M3 so I emailed them a few says ago. Got an email back asking for pics but haven't heard anything else.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much they lowball me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nodoze posted:

There was a pretty clean stock black/white e36 M3 here for sale when I was car shopping last winter with like 80k on it that was selling for 9k. I didn't really want another BMW but it was mighty tempting to grab

That's much more in line with good US pricing. I got my silver/black with 132000km for 13k CAD and atlantic canada has a huge rust/population tax. I passed on 10 other ones that had rust AND were more money.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
A manual '01 e46 wagon showed up on craigslist in my area, but it has 180k miles. What would you guys think of that?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

A manual '01 e46 wagon showed up on craigslist in my area, but it has 180k miles. What would you guys think of that?

Sounds like a steal, buy now!

aslewofmice
Dec 22, 2003
I just checked out a 2010 White 135i w/ 42k miles.
  • Interior is in real good condition.
  • Exterior has a little bumper rash from parking, not a big deal and I think most of it can be buffed out.
  • Tires are pretty worn and will need replacing in next couple months.
  • I can feel a little bit of a lip on the edge of front and back brake rotors.
  • Oil was just changed, but not sure on the rest of the fluids (it's been taken care of BMW maintenance program so whatever they change has been done thus far).
  • CPO Warranty until 100k

Price is $23900 which I stupidly agreed to pending the car checks out PPI. To be fair though, this car has all the options I want and he's got other offers so I wanted to jump on it. My concerns now are what kind of maintenance am I expecting right off the bat?

• Any other fluids need replacing?
  • I just read about possibly needing a wallnutshell blast to clean the carbon build-up on the intake ~50-60k. Is that recommended? How much does that run?
  • Brake rotors?
  • I read somewhere that batteries start to die around this time and are expensive to re-code. Any truth to that?

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

you'll have to do a bunch of odds and ends bullshit like the flapper door on the intake, bushings all around, struts and strut mounts, ball joints, tie rods, etc. it's not that much $ in parts, it's just a lot of poo poo to do.

check rear subframe for cracking. this happens a lot, you will eventually need to drop the subframe (when you do the rest of the car) and weld in plates to help from cracking.

if it's an m54 oil squirters tend to fall off

and with all bmws, the cooling system may go at any time

other than that, they're super cars.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Jumping on this bandwagon, there is a manual 2002 wagon nearby with "bad valve stem seals". Owner says it goes through a quart every 300 miles. Car has 200k on it and had recent suspension and cooling system refresh. It can probably be had for $1000. Automatic head gasket + guides and seals job? Sounds like it could be a veritable rabbit hole of repairs. Thoughts?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NWDub posted:

you'll have to do a bunch of odds and ends bullshit like the flapper door on the intake, bushings all around, struts and strut mounts, ball joints, tie rods, etc. it's not that much $ in parts, it's just a lot of poo poo to do.

check rear subframe for cracking. this happens a lot, you will eventually need to drop the subframe (when you do the rest of the car) and weld in plates to help from cracking.

if it's an m54 oil squirters tend to fall off

and with all bmws, the cooling system may go at any time

other than that, they're super cars.

Touring subframe failure is extremely rare. As is the oil squirter failure. Those require a lot of high rpm vibration, usually due to overly stiff motor mounts which are awful ideas for m5x motors.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I wouldn't worry about miles from an engine/chassis longevity standpoint - just bushings and cooling system. The E46 is a solid car.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

The E46 is a solid car.

Speaking of which, got to sit in the new 435i and M235i and I think my wife summed it up best (compared to our E46):

"These aren't as nice. They feel kinda cheap."

She did like (of all things) the M6...... Gran Coupe :barf:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

aslewofmice posted:

I just checked out a 2010 White 135i w/ 42k miles.
  • Interior is in real good condition.
  • Exterior has a little bumper rash from parking, not a big deal and I think most of it can be buffed out.
  • Tires are pretty worn and will need replacing in next couple months.
  • I can feel a little bit of a lip on the edge of front and back brake rotors.
  • Oil was just changed, but not sure on the rest of the fluids (it's been taken care of BMW maintenance program so whatever they change has been done thus far).
  • CPO Warranty until 100k

Price is $23900 which I stupidly agreed to pending the car checks out PPI. To be fair though, this car has all the options I want and he's got other offers so I wanted to jump on it. My concerns now are what kind of maintenance am I expecting right off the bat?

• Any other fluids need replacing?
  • I just read about possibly needing a wallnutshell blast to clean the carbon build-up on the intake ~50-60k. Is that recommended? How much does that run?
  • Brake rotors?
  • I read somewhere that batteries start to die around this time and are expensive to re-code. Any truth to that?

Change the coolant, BMW doesn't do this automatically. You probably have another year or so on the battery, read back a bit for the discussion on that. About $400 at the dealer for battery and programming, less at an indy. Rotors are probably okay, but it depends on how it was driven.

And yes, on the turbo, spark plugs are every 50k, and you should do a walnut shell blast around that time as well. The intake gets gunked up and you lose power over time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of which, got to sit in the new 435i and M235i and I think my wife summed it up best (compared to our E46):

It's a huge drawback to the 4, they didn't upgrade any of the interior bits over the 3 but are still asking for a premium. The tablet styled nav is also ugly as well as the boomerang thing and the connected to the grille headlights...I'm gonna agree with the 5 series yuppie snobs on Bimmerfest that you have to be in at least a 5 for the interior to really be where it needs to be in a $50k+ car.

The 4 GC actually has a cleverly hidden hatchback that opens up a shitload of storage space without looking like the 3GT or a droopy assed Audi A7 - so that is kinda cool.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941384

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
The 4GC is a great looking car and very practical. It looks a lot better than the sedan and the coupe in my opinion, and I'm hoping it'll look even better in person.

I've been gushing over the A5 sportback and A7 for awhile so I'm glad BMW finally has an offering that is similar.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

HotCanadianChick posted:

The M6 GC is the only really nice looking thing BMW builds right now :confused: Were you talking about the "GT" models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

I've got a bill from BMW for a 2k brake job on an e36 non-M. Front calipers came in at 500. Each.
This is goddam terrifying. My calipers are OK as of the last time I looked at them (months and months ago). But I know for calipers I can weedle a friend into helping me with that if needed. (e36 328is, issues galore)

Trambopaline posted:

thinking about picking up a manual E36 coupe
Ages ago, but just get an e36. 325/328 is good, M3 if you can afford it, 318 or 318it ("hatch") if you have no other options. Trust me, even when poo poo hits the fan (see below), you won't regret it.

GOD. drat. COOLING. SYSTEM.

SD 135 Towed 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Even at -30, even having just loving crossed a FROZEN RIVER

SD 135 On the Ice by Execudork, on Flickr
the cooling system went kaput.

I'm guessing the water pump my mechanic put in less than a month ago has poo poo the bed, considering the temperature gauge shot up so quickly yet the vents were not at all blowing warm air. Either that, or it's air-locked again. :sigh:
Insult to injury: the tow truck driver complained that my car felt like he was towing "a heap of junk" because apparently he could feel its 3 000lbs in his 18 000lb wrecker. :argh: You didn't pick up the "light end" of my 50/50 car, jerk!
actually you're not a jerk, tow-truck-driver, you let myself and my GF into your nice warm cab while you were picking up my worrisome ride and it was loving cold out there near the river tonight, thanks for coming to get us!