Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It was a wasteland to begin with, so I don't think anyone cared what happened after the Protoss bombarded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Fair enough. I just started playing through SC1 again (Probably will give up before long, mostly for old times' sake), and I just beat Terran mission 1.4 and got the text dump.

"Thirteen hours after the evacuation of Mar Sara, Protoss warships took up orbit around the colony and unleashed a massive planetary bombardment. All life upon the surface was extinguished."

Now, these events are at the very beginning of SC1, which, IIRC, puts it four years before the start of SC2. Apparently Mengsk is just really good at encouraging people to move back to dead planets for Mar Sara to be this populated already, but he already did the same "everyone move back to a ruined hellhole" once with Korhal itself, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Honestly, I feel like the four year timeskip was poorly thought out. Make it ten, hell, make it twenty years, and you have a much better story all round. Raynor becomes a more openly disillusioned revolutionary who's at this point only fighting because he has no other choice (making Horner's dissatisfaction with him more obvious), the recovery of the Terran Dominion makes sense as well as Korhal, and the disappearance of the Zerg actually becomes a mystery - that Kerrigan took four years to revive the Swarm might be thinkable, that she took twenty - not so much. So when the Zerg hit the Terrans again, the confusion of the Terrans makes sense instead of the 'man she lost most of her forces 4 years ago in a war against us and now she's invading us for reasons we cannot comprehend' business.

Wanton Spoon posted:

I love mission 3 because I see it as the prologue to the Starcraft II campaign. It sends the message, "We know what concepts made this mission special in the original game, so we've decided to take those concepts and apply them to all the missions, including the ones you've already played, including that mission specifically. We're retaining everything that matters and was fun in the original Starcraft, but we don't want you to feel like you're retracing your steps at any point." And I never did. Until HotS

This post (and the previous video) is seriously making me consider go back through and playing on Hard (or even trying Brutal). Normal wasn't all that challenging, (but I'm terrible at this game) but seeing how drastically different the difficulty setting makes the levels play out is really cool.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah Mar Sara was kind of a poo poo hole, so no one (besides Raynor I guess) gave anything resembling a poo poo about it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

InfinityComplex posted:

It was a wasteland to begin with, so I don't think anyone cared what happened after the Protoss bombarded it.

Fair enough, but encouraging people to move to a place after it's been leveled to the ground (not even wildlife left) is kind of a difficult sell. "Move to Mar Sara: the real estate's cheap?"

What gets me is that it's populated at all in SC2. The Dominion bothered to resettle it after all that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

And I'm pretty sure that Korhol was significantly more "kablooey'd" than Mar Sara

For those who don't know, Korhol basically got nuked from hyperspace a few decades before the first game. To the tune of "1000 Apocolypse class Nuclear warheads"...

And this was after having Mengsks' family killed, and decapitated, for daring to stand against the Confederacy.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Think Korhal gets a few nukes in BW as well (as a bit of infestation as well) - it cleans up nicely. :)

Have a series where someone went and spliced together all the mission intros/cutscenes/in-game scenes from SC/BW before SC2 was released here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Laradus posted:

Think Korhal gets a few nukes in BW as well (as a bit of infestation as well) - it cleans up nicely. :)

To the point that it's a minor plot point in BW that since Korhal is already an irradiated wasteland, Mengsk is more than willing to fling every nuke he has at the UED invasion force.

Then again, you could justify the planet's appearance in WoL by saying that you're only visiting the nice part of the planet where the terraforming has been most successful. HotS shows that the outskirts of the capital are still pretty barren.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So why doesn't Mengsk use whatever blueprints and such he looted when he took over to build replacements for the Psi Emitters and Psi Disrupter? The Psi Emitters lure the Zerg into a location (presumably even Kerrigan can't restrain a bloodthirsty Zerg brood chasing after a Psi Emitter) and the Psi Disrupter breaks the link between Kerrigan and her broods, turning the Zerg against each other. I'd think that building another Psi Disrupter would be goal #1 of the Dominion, and even if it were too complicated to manage, putting a bunch of Psi Emitters on a wrecked planet and eradicating the planet afterwards (like they did in Campaign 1, albeit indirectly) is a damned effective anti-Zerg strategy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Patter Song posted:

So why doesn't Mengsk use whatever blueprints and such he looted when he took over to build replacements for the Psi Emitters and Psi Disrupter? The Psi Emitters lure the Zerg into a location (presumably even Kerrigan can't restrain a bloodthirsty Zerg brood chasing after a Psi Emitter) and the Psi Disrupter breaks the link between Kerrigan and her broods, turning the Zerg against each other. I'd think that building another Psi Disrupter would be goal #1 of the Dominion, and even if it were too complicated to manage, putting a bunch of Psi Emitters on a wrecked planet and eradicating the planet afterwards (like they did in Campaign 1, albeit indirectly) is a damned effective anti-Zerg strategy.

The Zerg control structure has changed pretty significantly since the Brood War, with much more proximal control spread out over a lot of intermediate entities with increasing levels of independence instead of just having a Cerebrate somewhere controlling everything. I'm pretty sure that's why Psi Emitters aren't terribly useful anymore, because there actually are Zerg smart enough to know what those are and restrain the others from pursing. As for other wonder weapons designed to counter the Zerg, we'll just have to wait and see what Mengsk might be cooking up.

Until this new offensive the Zerg were mostly concentrated on Char, where their central Hive Cluster is currently located. Their numbers made it basically impossible to even consider an offensive.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of that, the UED campaign in BW is my favorite in the whole SC1 by far. Particularly the last mission, the entire large map is full of enemies just waiting for you to clear away. It even has some minor and unique obstacles to prevent it from being too easy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Feinne posted:

Until this new offensive the Zerg were mostly concentrated on Char, where their central Hive Cluster is currently located. Their numbers made it basically impossible to even consider an offensive.

Well, people did consider and even try an offensive, it's just that it completely and utterly failed, resulting in the destruction of the entire UED fleet, and a big chunk of Mengsk's and Artanis' forces.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Patter Song posted:

So why doesn't Mengsk use whatever blueprints and such he looted when he took over to build replacements for the Psi Emitters and Psi Disrupter? The Psi Emitters lure the Zerg into a location (presumably even Kerrigan can't restrain a bloodthirsty Zerg brood chasing after a Psi Emitter) and the Psi Disrupter breaks the link between Kerrigan and her broods, turning the Zerg against each other.
For the emitters at least they may no longer work. Given that the Overminds main goal in the attack on the Terran colonies was the capture of a ghost the attraction to their psionic emissions may of been a temporary thing that Kerrigan later removed.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Voting:

Upgrade
We've got 125,000 Credits, just tell me how you want to spend the money. We can save the money if you want as well. We don't have to spend it all now.

Combat Shields
- Marines gain +10 life.
50,000 Credits

Advanced Medic Facilities
- Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
60,000 Credits

Stabilizer Medpacks
- Medics heal targets 25% faster.
- Medics use 33% less energy per heal.
105,000 Credits

Incinerator Gauntlets
- Firebats gain a 40% larger area attack.
40,000 Credits

Juggernaut Plating
- Firebats gain +2 armor.
85,000 Credits

Mission

Outbreak
110,000 Credits
2 Zerg Research
New unit: Hellion

Smash And Grab
110,000 Credits
4 Protoss Research
New unit: Marauder

The Devil's Playground
110,000 Credits
3 Zerg Research
New unit: Reaper

Voting will end Wednesday Feb 12th at 11:00 pm EST

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Combat Shields, Advanced Medic Facilities, and The Devil's Playground.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Combat Shields, save what's left afterwards.

Next Mission: The Devil's Playground

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Combat Shields and the Playground.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Stabilizer Medpacks and Devil's Playground
I want to see swarms of reapers

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Upgrade: Stabilizer packs
Stage: Outbreak

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for Combat Shields and The Devil's Playground.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash And Grab

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stabiliser Medpacks and Smash and Grab Gotta get all the bulky infantry.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Veloxyll posted:

drat straight.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash and Grab

The Medpacks are just so useful it's not even funny, same thing with the Marauders. I would say Devil's Playground first, but I think Marauders are more useful in that mission than Reapers in Smash and Grab.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
All of the missions are set up such that you really only need to use Marines, Medics, and the new unit of that level to win, even on Hard. I wouldn't worry about cross-fertilizing the units between missions too much. Most times you try to get cute, it actually ends up to your detriment.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Upgrade: Stabilizer Medpacks
Mission: The Devil's Playground

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
Stabiliser Medpacks and Smash and Grab

Gotta get that MMM ball going

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Nice little call back by Blizzard to the best game(s) they're ever made: The Lost Vikings.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash and Grab, bioball all the way.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Shields and Smash and Grab. Get huge.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash and Grab.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Juggernaut Plating and Smash And Grab. Seeing these missions being taken care of so easily on Brutal makes me feel like that improving the medics isn't going to make this LP more interesting.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Combat Shields so you'll have no excuse to not Stim all the time and Smash & Grab because what the hell is wrong with all you people get Marauders. :psyduck:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Veloxyll posted:

My thoughts exactly!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stabilizer Medpacks at the Playground.

Coolguye posted:

All of the missions are set up such that you really only need to use Marines, Medics, and the new unit of that level to win, even on Hard. I wouldn't worry about cross-fertilizing the units between missions too much. Most times you try to get cute, it actually ends up to your detriment.
True but doing Outbreak with tanks is pretty awesome.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Medpacks and Outbreak

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Combat shield, save rest, devil's playground

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I wanted to come in here and defend the writing of SC2 as charmingly campy, but after watching that intro again... It's like someone just took a bucketfull of TVTropes (including lines from other media copied verbatim) and poured them over the script. Thankfully, it's slightly better in the rest of the game, and the gameplay itself is stellar, so it mostly evens out. I do wonder what we'd get if Blizzard threw its expertise behind a new IP with a story that was written by professionals.

Anyways, go for Combat Shields and The Devil's Playground.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Combat Shields, save the rest, Outbreak.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Big McLargeHuge's day to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Tosh is the best. I love him as a character irrationally so.

• Locked thread