Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

The day I start Victory seems so far off. It's the one Gundam that I just couldn't get interested in.

Victory has the most imaginative uses of those silly multi-part transforming Gundams ever (Shin ain't got poo poo on Usso) in battle. The Victory is also a grunt suit which is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite OAV is probably 0080. My favorite series is probably the movie version of Original. My least favorite is easily Victory but ZZ is close.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Eej posted:

Victory has the most imaginative uses of those silly multi-part transforming Gundams ever (Shin ain't got poo poo on Usso) in battle. The Victory is also a grunt suit which is also great.

So more goofy Open Get Gundam attacks? SOLD!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Stuff like ejecting the torso upwards to dodge a horizontal beam saber slice, detaching legs and flying them into the enemy to obscure their vision with the explosion, a whole lot of "hey Gundams are robots..." stuff like having the head spin 180 degrees and shoot vulcans at someone behind him. The actual plot and death and characters get a little... much, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

OZC posted:

Well, like the Argama, it has the gravity blocks that extend out and spin, but are retracted in during combat situations, so if the ship were within Earth's gravity, the blocks would just remain pulled in and the rooms would be otherwise equal to when the blocks are generating simulated gravity.

Pretty sure only the Argama has those because it'd be a lot of resources for something completely internal. Pegasus-class vessels don't have external setups for sure.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tomino's weird women issues don't bother me too much in Zeta, since Emma Sheen exists. Her entire role in the narrative is to pop up every time we see some other female character acting really fuckin' weird and then proceed to do her job in a capable and sane manner. It creates this feeling that people like Reccoa aren't acting illogically and dangerously because they're women, but instead behave the way they do because they are insane (except for Fa, obviously Fa's excuse is that she's like 16 and teenagers are dumb).

Hell, in the finale after Reccoa gives her whole misoginistic spiel about "a woman's role", Emma calls her out on it, tells her she's wrong and a sociopath, and then shoots her. Granted, Emma also dies shortly after, but that's 'Kill 'em all' Tomino for you.

Emma rules because she's one of the, like, three remotely reasonable people in a sea of insanity.

(also, the Mk II is the most stylish Gundam, eat it nerds)

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 10, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, maybe it's the dub. I cannot express how infinitely superior this dub is than MSG's. It's not even the voice-acting, it's the localization. The dialogue in here is so much smoother and more natural to the poo poo in MSG. At least I assume it's the localization - maybe the original MSG just had really clunky dialogue.

Gundam Dubbing comes in two companies. TV Series from MSG, Wing, G-Gundam to 00 are done by oceandub in Canada. The same team that did X-men Evolution, but headed by lovely directors.

OVA series like 0080, 0083, and 08th MS team (along with Unicorn) are done by the Californian team. I don't know why they don't just stick everything to the Cali team, but whatever. The only exception to this is Char's Counterattack using the tv dub crew.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think MSG was just kind of a low point for them. I have seen clips of the 00 and Wing dubs and they certainly don't seem to be nearly as terrible.

Halfway through MS Team though and I am in love with Karen Joshua.
http://videobam.com/KEFKs

Hell with the Bright Slap, the Karen Kick would have been better. Amuro really could have used a shot to the nuts a few times in the anime.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 10, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
The UC OVAs were very hit or miss with me.

0080 had a nice condensed story, but something about the kid bugged the ever-living poo poo out of me. Maybe the voice acting? Every time I think of 0080 the first thing that comes to mind is this shrill "BERNIEEEEE BERNIEEEE!" that makes me not want to rewatch it.

0083 was "Hey, there are a few cool fights." Followed by "God Nina is the worst character ever."

08th MS team is, "The gouf custom verses the 08th MS team, featuring some cringeworthy romance." I think I liked 08th MS team best because it had cool grunt suit stuff like Shiro in the ball and the ghetto repairs they have to make on the units.

It's kind of a shame that they can all be boiled down to, "If only it wasn't full of awful stuff like characters and plot."

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 10, 2014

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Halfway through MS Team though and I am in love with Karen Joshua.

Except for the Gouf fight, it's all downhill from there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I found the MS Combat in Victory to be some of the most interesting that the franchise has seen. It is like watching dudes do wire-fu except they can split their bodies into components and can bend their limbs in impossible ways.

I think that the original MSG is something of a museum piece. It is nice to admire and there's so much about it that still works to this day, but I wouldn't recommend it for entertainment over a theme park ride.

With that said I think that Zeta Gundam is the peak of UC Gundam's themes, it is where the franchise was at its most popular, and it (along with 0079) are the shows that other Gundam series are always trying to imitate. Tomino was in the middle of a depression so he went all out on Zeta and it shows, for good or for bad, it is my favorite Gundam series but I can understand the hate.

I have to agree that War in the Pocket does a lot of the things more generally liked by Gundam as a series without falling into some of its worst trappings. It is not all that impressive or innovative, and generally it feels like they were trying to cater to the crowd that just can't stand Newtype teenagers, but it is very well done and my favorite OVA of the bunch.

Unicorn is UC Fanservice. It is comparable to War in the Pocket in that regard, except with more Newtypes and references to previous UC shows all over the place. It is fun and absolutely gorgeous (in both video and sound) but I have yet to see if it surpasses Zeta in being "Gundam+" like someone else said.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I found stuff to like in almost every Gundam series. The only one I can say I truly disliked is SeeD, and even that had Stargazer. It should be noted that I've never managed to finish Wing, as I keep losing interest halfway through, I've yet to finish Destiny for the same reason and I've avoided AGE like the plague, so my opinion is based on watching everything else.

For the Universal Century, I'm kind of weird in that I always liked the later stuff more. F91, despite it's incomplete nature, and Victory, are probably my favourite UC series. For all their flaws, they felt a lot more grounded than the earlier stuff, kind-of like Mecha versions of european WWII movies. There's also some really good side-stories out there, like 0080 which I really like, and some of the mangas like The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi deserve to be animated.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Victory is such a sad case of wasted potential: the seeds of something really good are there but it rambles all over the place trying to find some reason to exist and 25 hours of that sort of thing is just deadly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe that there's so many people talking about UC and no one mentions motherfucking Crossbone Gundam. It has pirates, actually badass characters, a likable protagonist (something both MSG and Zeta fail in), and is basically great and I love it. Then again, having Tobia Arronax as the lead could carry pretty much any series for me.

It's a manga rather than an anime/OVA, but holy poo poo I still consider it the best thing UC has and a must-read. I went through F91 just because I wanted to read it and it was worth it (though I don't consider F91 horrible, anyways. Just...cut beyond belief).

So yes, Crossbone Gundam. Pirates. Gundams. Gotta love it. Definitely a better choice of series than Zeta, because it has an actually likable cast, unlike Zeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crossbone Gundam's art is an atrocity. No amount of pirate Gundams will make it not quite possibly the ugliest official Gundam product out there and this is in a franchise with Gundam SEED.

It's also honestly kind of ridiculous in a lot of ways. It has a really weak villain cast, some insanely ridiculous (in a bad way) villain robots and you really have to be willing to overlook a fair amount of bullshit. The latter of which would be a lot easier if the art wasn't so god damned ugly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 10, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My favorite UC series are MSG, Zeta, 0080 and the 08th MS Team, so I'm sort of in the goon groupthink here. I might as well throw Turn-A in there too, because well... you could kinda sorta consider it as part of the UC continuity. I sorta do.

My least favorite things in the UC are ZZ, CCA and F91. I haven't seen Victory or read Crossbone so I have no opinion on them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't believe that there's so many people talking about UC and no one mentions motherfucking Crossbone Gundam.

Crossbone is fun, but it both reads and looks like a six year old drew it.

That right there is cover art, presumably the artist trying his absolute best. The X3 is still totally hosed up proportion wise and the girl looks straight out of How To Draw Anime Characters.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm going through Zeta and the point where the AEUG meet the Axis is pretty funny. Spoiler since people were talking about watching gundam for the first time. The character's reactions to Mineva calling Quattro Char are priceless. Wong and Bright are surprised that they know each other well, Reccoa is surprised that Quattro is Char, and Kamille is just like yeah duh he's Char.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Best part of ZZ so far: Wong getting a knee to the guts for trying to pull the same poo poo with Judau that he did with Kamille.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Emma was the best thing about Zeta.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsieurChoc posted:

For the Universal Century, I'm kind of weird in that I always liked the later stuff more. F91, despite it's incomplete nature, and Victory, are probably my favourite UC series. For all their flaws, they felt a lot more grounded than the earlier stuff, kind-of like Mecha versions of european WWII movies. There's also some really good side-stories out there, like 0080 which I really like, and some of the mangas like The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi deserve to be animated.

I love F91 but it's so incomplete that it's really hard to consider it an actual product. The story we're given in the movie is technically complete but is so barebones and not fleshed out that it's effectively a skeleton.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't know if anyone really cares or if this has been talked about before but the narrator for Gundam Wing passed away.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-09/voice-actor-campbell-lane-passes-away

He also did the narration for this game called Homeworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcj9epbJzc

He had a pretty awesome voice.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Kanos posted:

I love F91 but it's so incomplete that it's really hard to consider it an actual product. The story we're given in the movie is technically complete but is so barebones and not fleshed out that it's effectively a skeleton.

I really love the opening to that movie, with the mobile suits running amok in the colony. I think that was absolutely super solid.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Kanos posted:

I think it was just way too compressed. I think if it had gotten a longer format, it would have been remembered as one of the really good series. I really loved it also.

TTBF posted:

I really love the opening to that movie, with the mobile suits running amok in the colony. I think that was absolutely super solid.

I love this too. It's one of my memorable Gundam moments.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TTBF posted:

The opening battle in F91 has some moments that are legitimately kind of disturbing. It doesn't have any real gore, but the dead children, the mother with a baby who gets killed by a shell and Seabrook shaking his friend's lifeless ragdoll body are all pretty unsettling. People die all the time in Gundam, but usually their mobile suit just blows up and its never graphic.

F91 has a lot of silly things like the bugs and Darth Vader that almost undo that opening scene, but the first 30 or so minutes of the movie is pretty solid. It just falls apart later, mostly due to the rest of the movie being hyper-compressed TV episodes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

Maybe that's why I like it so much: the way I fill in the holes in my imagination is better than what they would have done otherwise. Or maybe I just really like the gorgeous animation and designs. As I mentioned, it very much feels like an old-school war movie, and the soundtrack helps a lot on that front.

Edit: Oh, and Seabook and Cecily are probably one of the most well-done couple in a Gundam series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I think it was just way too compressed. I think if it had gotten a longer format, it would have been remembered as one of the really good series. I really loved it also.

That's what I mean when I say it's like a skeleton. They have a good baseline plot and you can tell they actually storyboarded out a longer version, at least OAV length, before they got the rug pulled out from under them and had to cram what they had into something that makes a semblance of sense in a movie format. There's a lot of disjointed scenes that hint at a much more fleshed out story that they never have the chance to explore, which is extremely sad because what's there is pretty great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know what is very interesting to me? How different Western and Eastern fans of anime are and yet how they are also the same. If a video I just watched reviewing Gundam Ace's 100th issue choices for Top 10 Gundam series and everything else I've read is any indication, Japan loves the poo poo out of MSG and Zeta and UC in general. Like, it's not even close in what is the fan favorite Gundam series over there. Now I know plenty of people here who would completely agree with them.

But then Japan also loves SEED to death. Those same Western fans who would nod their head in agreement about MSG and Zeta being the best would instantly shake their heads in disgust when SEED comes up. I really can't wait to get to SEED and find out what all the enmity/love is about.

Also I was misled a long, long time ago by a guy telling me that, While Wing was the poo poo over here, G Gundam was Japan's preferred Gundam series of the 90s. Everything I've seen after says that they also preferred Wing. Although my sources (ie. Wikipedia and random posts on forums) indicate that both series were only lukewarm successes or varying degrees of flops. Maybe they were flops insofar as neither of them became wild successes and revived the franchise like they were intended to?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SEED is incredibly popular in the west too, just not on the diehard Gundam boards. Though they love to talk about it so much that it might as well be their favorite too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SEED is the Final Fantasy 7 of Gundam and there's a lot of peer pressure in nerdy western anime communities to hate it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 5, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wing must be reasonably popular in Japan itself as well because not only is it currently getting the "Glory of the Losers" manga, it's also getting "Frozen Teardrop" as a novel, or photonovel or something. Which the original writer of the show is authoring, and using as a testbed for loads of ideas hoping it'll sell well enough to get an animated sequel. Getting two entries simultaneously like that, more than 15 years after the series airs seems a good indication of popularity to me.

Then again, Gundam manga are like, a dime a dozen, so maybe not. Still, I've also heard several times that it's the most popular of the 90's shows over there for what little that's worth.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 5, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tsob posted:

Wing must be reasonably popular in Japan itself as well because not only is it currently getting the "Glory of the Losers" manga, it's also getting "Frozen Teardrop" as a novel, or photonovel or something. Which the original writer of the show is authoring, and using as a testbed for loads of ideas hoping it'll sell well enough to get an animated sequel. Getting two entries simultaneously like that, more than 15 years after the series airs seems a good indication of popularity to me.

Then again, Gundam manga are like, a dime a dozen, so maybe not. Still, I've also heard several times that it's the most popular of the 90's shows over there for what little that's worth.

Gundam Ace's Survey
11-20
1-10

quote:

10. 08th MS Team - 7,229
9. 0083 Starudst Memory - 7,614
8. G Gundam - 8,167
7. Unicorn - 8,677
6. Wing - 9,284
5. Char's Counterattack - 10,427
4. SEED - 10,763
3. Gundam 00 - 16,829
2. Zeta - 20,173
1. Mobile Suit Gundam - 24,786

More recent but smaller survey

quote:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Suit Z Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Gundam W
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam V
Gundam Build Fighters
After War Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

So yeah, looks like Wing is the most popular 90s series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Isn't the movie version Wing Zero like the single most popular Gundam design or something along those lines?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, that's the RX-78-2 by far, with Strike Freedom coming up right after it. I'd put Wing Zero Custom at around either 3rd or 4th, the Hi-Nu is fairly popular as well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just finished 08th MS Team.

The second half was indeed weaker than the first half. Well, for the most part. I think my favorite episode was in the second half - Episode 8 "Duty and Ideals." Coming right after the awkward episode 7 with Shiro declaring his love for Aina for no real reason, it really stood out. That single episode captured the moral ambiguity aspect of the setting more than the whole MSG anime for me. TVTropes says MS Team is a "thin allegory" for Vietnam but I never really thought about it until it pointed it out. I guess I just didn't think the Japanese would use the Vietnam War in one of their anime. World War II yes but Vietnam? Oh well. I guess it follows that something based off Vietnam would be superior in capturing that grayness than something based off WW2. That whole episode was just perfect with the three Zeon crew going into the secret guerrilla town and no one really wanting a fight. Well, save for the one jerk Zeon soldier and his jerkiness just ignites a whole powder keg that everyone had tried to avoid lightning. It all goes to hell, a lot of people die needlessly, and it just sums up the theme of the setting extremely well.

And then there were more episodes after that. They weren't nearly as good. Especially that last episode. I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Final Thoughts:
Good Dub, Good Music, Loved Karen Joshua and Sanders and Norris. Probably won't ever watch this again except for a couple episodes for their humor or Episode 8 for its storytelling. Best thing to take away from it was the more genuine feeling of war comradery.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 11, 2014

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The second half was indeed weaker than the first half.

Didn't the main writer die in a car crash halfway through? Which would explain the disjointedness.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

UncleRadnor posted:

Didn't the main writer die in a car crash halfway through? Which would explain the disjointedness.

It was the director actually. Umanosuke Iida took over after that. He's the guy who directed the Hellsing TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think the only episode I genuinely hated of 08th MS Team was the one where it's Eledore and Michel escaping prison together mostly because of how much of an annoying poo poo Eledore becomes.

• Locked thread