Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

IanTheM posted:

Are the D600 sensors also from Sony?

Yup, same sensor that's in the Sony A99 in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Price leak for that new Siggy Fitty - 1300 us dollars

Hopefully its a bullshit rumor cause fuckin lol

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Ahahaha. Methinks Sigma has been emboldened by their recent success if they think they can sell this for a couple hundred less than Canons 50/1.2

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If it's as good as the other lenses they've been putting out they could sell it for more than the 50/1.2 and it'd still be the better deal.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mr. Despair posted:

If it's as good as the other lenses they've been putting out they could sell it for more than the 50/1.2 and it'd still be the better deal.

Maybe, if its basically an Otus with autofocus. Sigma is still Sigma, not Zeiss or Canon or Nikon and even if it shits all over everything else its gonna be tough to give it the time of day at that price. Their thing has always been good quality at great prices as an alternative to the big expensive guys. They've got exactly one lens that's considered steller; they don't have the reputation to start jacking prices up to L levels yet.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Camerapro is loltastically awful and anything on their website can be safely ignored.

Two other places are listing it, Dirt Cheap Camera (who are a bit shady with stock levels, but a genuine store) have it down at 899, and Camera Warehouse at 999.

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/sigma-50mm-f-1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-for-canon-mount.html
http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/sigma-50mm-f14-dg-hsm-art-lens

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Keeping my old Sigma, because :laffo:

Then again, it might be a placeholder, or it'll drop like a stone.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe, if its basically an Otus with autofocus. Sigma is still Sigma, not Zeiss or Canon or Nikon and even if it shits all over everything else its gonna be tough to give it the time of day at that price. Their thing has always been good quality at great prices as an alternative to the big expensive guys. They've got exactly one lens that's considered steller; they don't have the reputation to start jacking prices up to L levels yet.

Exactly. If it's not INSANE good like the otus it's just a way too expensive 50/1.4 - the 1.2 has a gimmick at least to semi justify that price. 800$ would be reasonable.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My honest guess is 900.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I thought I recall my camera store friend saying it would run around 800 but I could be wrong.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pentax has announced a CMOS 645d mk2 (probably 50mp) and a new ultrawide zoom for it, plus a "35mm/medium format" film copier accessory.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax has announced a CMOS 645d mk2 (probably 50mp) and a new ultrawide zoom for it, plus a "35mm/medium format" film copier accessory.

the film copier looks amazingly awesome.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
There's no way the sigma 50 will be $1300. If my bet is 899 starting price, just like the 35.

Also that slide and neg duplicator is rad as hell.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I'm not quite sure from the vague description, but I'm assuming this is the Tamron 17-50 that everyone loves?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999086242J?r=FE

Just making sure, because I'd rather buy this for ~$300 then a new one for ~$150 more, and with its EX rating, it should be perf

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dradien posted:

I'm not quite sure from the vague description, but I'm assuming this is the Tamron 17-50 that everyone loves?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999086242J?r=FE

Just making sure, because I'd rather buy this for ~$300 then a new one for ~$150 more, and with its EX rating, it should be perf

Yup, that's the one.

I'd hold out for a BGN grade to save a few bucks myself, but you can't go wrong at KEH.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Promaster are good people. I bought a used Promaster L450 bag for $20, it was missing the male end of a buckle, I emailed them on Tuesday and had the missing part in my mailbox on Friday.

I like the L450. It's got a zip around the edge for expansion -- closed, it's a regular laptop messenger bag; open, it'll hold a 15" laptop and a gripped/pro DSLR and 3 pro lenses/2 lenses and all the computer cables, mouse, and collapsible DJ headphones. And it has a removable padded box that you can swap into an army-surplus bag for a smaller camera-and-lenses-only kit.

Store review: Patterson's in Texarkana is a nice store, if you're in the area. Very helpful, willing to haggle, &c.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
This is probably a really loving stupid question so I guess I deserve any backlash I get for asking, but my mom has a Sony DSLR camera that she doesn't use anymore. At one point, we had a card and a card reader for it, but the last time that this camera was used was last year to take pictures during an airshow. The card, along with the card reader, have since disappeared, so I'm looking to buy a new card for the camera so I can start using it again.
Thing is, I know a good bit about taking pictures and how to make them look good, but I know NOTHING about camera gear, so I really have no idea what kind of card to buy for this camera. I opened up the card bay and it says CF, which I know is a type of card, but looking on Amazon, they don't all appear to be the same (not just talking about different sizes). I know the one we used to have for this camera had one end that had a little lip on it so you could easily pull it out of the camera. The ones that I'm looking at on Amazon don't have that lip, so I'm wondering if it matters? Also, what size would be best? There's a 16GB for $18.99 but that doesn't seem like a lot of room.

I just need some suggestions on what kind of card to buy for this camera. Thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Know what'd be super useful? Telling us what kind of camera it is.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Oh whoops, it's a Sony DSLR A-100.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

copy of a posted:

Oh whoops, it's a Sony DSLR A-100.

Type 1 or 2 compact flash

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

16 gigs will probably hold 1500 shots with room to spare, close to 1800 if you're lucky.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Its definitely more than enough for a 10mp camera. I'd rarely fill them machinegunning 10fps RAW all day on a 16mp aps-h

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Speaking of CF type 2, what is a good option for memory for a 5D (classic)? I don't know anything about memory for older cameras and am looking around at my options - would there be a significant downside to using a sd->cf adapter over an actual cf card? Sandisk extreme something something?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

timrenzi574 posted:

Type 1 or 2 compact flash

Mr. Despair posted:

16 gigs will probably hold 1500 shots with room to spare, close to 1800 if you're lucky.

Its definitely more than enough for a 10mp camera. I'd rarely fill them machinegunning 10fps RAW all day on a 16mp aps-h

This is what I was looking at on Amazon, should this be OK? http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Ultimate-CompactFlash-CF-16GB-U2/dp/B001FO4QHI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Should be fine

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Awesome, thanks guys!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Whats the general consensus on Digitalrev? They've got the tamron 17-50 for the cheapest I've seen yet, but I've heard very little about their store.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

timrenzi574 posted:

Should be fine

Kingston is good but I'm superstitious as hell and generally stick to (non-counterfeit) SanDisk and Lexar. Kingston is still a good brand though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mr. stefan posted:

Whats the general consensus on Digitalrev? They've got the tamron 17-50 for the cheapest I've seen yet, but I've heard very little about their store.

It's greymarket, so don't expect any warranty from the manufacturer.

They're based in and ship from Hong Kong.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Kingston is good but I'm superstitious as hell and generally stick to (non-counterfeit) SanDisk and Lexar. Kingston is still a good brand though.

Don't know about Kingston's CF cards, but I bought a Kingston SDHC last year, marked Class 10 (which supposedly means 10 MB/s writes?) and it's horrible. My D80 routinely spends 3-5 seconds writing an 8-10 MB raw, and if I burst 5 pictures I'm stuck being unable to shoot for 10 seconds. Those 10 MB/s don't seem very realistic, at least.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

nielsm posted:

Don't know about Kingston's CF cards, but I bought a Kingston SDHC last year, marked Class 10 (which supposedly means 10 MB/s writes?) and it's horrible. My D80 routinely spends 3-5 seconds writing an 8-10 MB raw, and if I burst 5 pictures I'm stuck being unable to shoot for 10 seconds. Those 10 MB/s don't seem very realistic, at least.

I'm not sure the potential write speed matters all that much for an a100 - if I was buying a card for a camera that old, I'd get the cheapest one I could.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Not to mention class 10 is just a minimum standard, some "class 10 cards" are way faster than others.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

mr. stefan posted:

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, and it's always arrived quickly and in perfect condition.

None of which excuses them for their horrible youtube channel and general fuckwittery, of course. But you aren't going to get scammed or anything.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

...assuming it wasn't counterfeit :v:

Seriously SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, and possibly Transcend are huge targets for counterfeiting, which is why it's a tremendously bad idea to buy them off eBay or any seller that is in any way slightly disreputable.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

nielsm posted:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

Apparently there are a lot of manufacturer-approve counterfeits in existence because the actual manufactures don't have the capacity to meet demand.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

...assuming it wasn't counterfeit :v:

Seriously SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, and possibly Transcend are huge targets for counterfeiting, which is why it's a tremendously bad idea to buy them off eBay or any seller that is in any way slightly disreputable.

Purchased it in one of the biggest brick-and-mortar electronics chains in the country, so that would be surprising.

ante posted:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

Apparently there are a lot of manufacturer-approve counterfeits in existence because the actual manufactures don't have the capacity to meet demand.

But then that's worrying.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Another Sony sensor?!?

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 29, 2020

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Revolucion posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Lowepro Super Trekker AW ii bag? A local auction house has one selling this week and I am considering grabbing it. Wondering what my max bid should be...

I do a lot of hiking with my camera so I would definitely use it, but the thing is huge and looks pretty uncomfortable.

I've taken my Kata bag hiking a few times and even though it looks awkward and bulky, it's really nice and comfortable. Easier on the bag than my smaller bags even. Size isn't everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Revolucion posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Lowepro Super Trekker AW ii bag? A local auction house has one selling this week and I am considering grabbing it. Wondering what my max bid should be...

I do a lot of hiking with my camera so I would definitely use it, but the thing is huge and looks pretty uncomfortable.

I had that exact bag for a while. It's comfortable, but I find camera backpacks with rear zipper access to be fairly annoying to use because you have to take it off and put it flat on the ground every time you want to take a piece of gear out. I ended up getting a Flipside series bag instead and liked it much better for dayhikes.