Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

Thank you! I've been thinking this ever since that silly X-mask showed up. At the very least it should be producing (stupid, but consistent) X-shaped blasts but they don't even go that far in anything I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They've been saying that since the previews for that costume showed up, including shooting an X shaped beam. Someone recently drew that costume again where the X did line up with his eyes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

E the Shaggy posted:

The whole Phoenix has affected Cyclops and others powers makes no sense. Magneto is somehow affected, even though he was never possessed yet Namor, who was, is totally fine.

Bendis tries to hand wave it away by saying "well, magneto was close to them" but so was nearly every other X person.

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

Don't think too hard about how Cyclops' powers work, it's incredibly inconsistent. It's usually supposed to be force, but sometimes it's lasers. There's no kickback normally, but he can use it break his fall. The mask is fine, just tell yourself he's got a crystal shield directly in front of his eyes, covered by unstable molecules and the giant red X on his face is pure ornament, like 99 percent of all costumes.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
You see, the X is there for aesthetics and also JEAN GREY JEAN GREY JEAN GREY. Somehow. It'll probably be explained that way in ten issues.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I've been reading Mackie and Byrne's Spider-Man run, and let me tell you, it is garbage. Re-reading the clone saga, yeah it went on too long, and eventually it became clear there was no plan for getting out of it, but it still made for some pretty fun, dumb comics. Which was a nice change of pace after Peter started referring to himself only as "The Spider" in an attempt to capture the 90's zeitgeist. But Mackie and Byrne's run is just full of bad character choices, half-assed reset buttons, and otherwise confusing "Parker luck" with "Peter Parker is the stupidest man who ever lived." Thus far, highlights include:

* more Aunt May! Aunt May gets a new haircut! The Spider-editor finding any halfway positive mail he can find for May being back and using it to "prove" that bringing her back wasn't a terrible, awful decision!
* Flash Thompson is a jerk! The best man at Peter Parker's wedding, the guy who dated Felicia Hardy, is a down-on-his-luck loser who might as well wear a letter jacket as he reverts to his Steve Ditko characterization!
* Sandman's evil now! After reforming a decade earlier, saving Spidey from Doc Ock during the reformed Sinister Six era, joining the Avengers, joining the Wild Pack, Sandman turns evil because... Wizard made him evil again in an "Id Machine," a Lee/Kirby callback from the 60's. But in the last appearance of the Id Machine (30 years earlier), the FF noticed there was mind control and "de-programmed" the Thing. Here, The Thing shows up in the story to say "I always knew Sandman was a bad guy, that's why I've kept tabs on him!" And the Sandman is his 1960's self again!
* Mary Jane is a hugely in demand supermodel who is never around, and, she has another stalker (the last one was her landlord, a Michelinie subplot post-wedding), and then apparently dies in a plane crash on her way to Europe. The resolution is so stupid it deserves its own post.
* Peter gets a new lab job, then never goes into work, then is shocked when he gets fired. Typical Parker luck!
* With Mary Jane "dead," the new Spider-Woman, Mattie Franklin, a teenager, comes onto Peter, and his friend Jill Stacy won't stop throwing herself at him, even though he's convinced Mary Jane isn't dead. I think this was supposed to create romantic tension, but Peter never shows any interest in Jill and Mattie is like, 15.
* somehow Mary Jane's accountant mismanaged all her supermodel money (and she doesn't have insurance for exploding planes), so Peter is broke, and can't get a job at a .com startup because he's "too qualified." He takes a job washing dishes because he is very stupid.

I get what Mackie and Byrne were going for, especially comparing it to stuff like Busiek and Perez on Avengers, who were clearly building off of 70's stories and featuring classic characters with a bit of a return to the status quo. But Mackie and Byrne do this in the clumsiest, most irritating way possible, throwing out decades of good stories and have characters act completely out of character in order to hit really dumb plot points. It's also Byrne's weakest art at Marvel.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
With MJ dying that was just another in a long line of attempts to get rid of the marriage and go back to something closer to the earlier days of ASM or at least maybe the college era (the Clone Saga was another attempt) of a single, down on his luck Peter Parker. To be fair the Peter/MJ wedding was a marketing stunt but unlike, say, the Storm/Black Panther wedding (which just felt like it kind of existed and that was it) it worked to really make both characters better but it seems like from day one somebody was trying to break it up before they'd get cold feet or reason would prevail and they'd be back together.

Quesada was really just the latest person to try it and the only one bull-headed enough to make it stick.

And yeah, the post-Clone Saga Mackie/Byrne stuff was easily the worst attempt at that.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, that actually retroactively makes what Bendis did with Mattie make a ton more sense. If she was continually trying to hook up with Peter, it makes a twisted kind of sense that she'd respond to rejection by seeking validation from similarly 'dangerous' older men, and eventually, well, how she ends up in Alias.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
OH GOD IT IS SO BAD

The :psyduck:-iest thing in that run is when Peter is in denial about MJ's death, so his friends stage an intervention to get him to... look at the inside of a box/casket, I guess? This convinces Peter that MJ is in fact dead. Except then she wasn't so it was probably just an old sweater or something in the box. Peter Parker: Super Impressionable, everyone!

There's also this epic storyline about how Venom is going to kill the Sinister Six. He takes down Electro and takes a bite out of Sandman, then goes after Kraven. Spider-Man interferes and it's kind of a tie. Venom then forgot about this storyline because Mackie did too. Electro later appeared not-dead.

And then Sandman was a beach.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say a lot of the worst stuff in the Mackie run actually comes after Byrne left and JRJR returned to the book. The most frustrating plot was probably the Senator Ward story arc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

I'd say a lot of the worst stuff in the Mackie run actually comes after Byrne left and JRJR returned to the book. The most frustrating plot was probably the Senator Ward story arc.

The sad part is that JRJR makes some of the stupidest scenes Mackie wrote look rad as hell, and it's probably some of his best work ever. I especially liked how he drew Venom.

Whoever was on inks and colors also did a bang-up job throughout. What a loving waste of great art.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the reveal of the MJ death/stalker storyline is just as bad if not worse. The best part is how Senator Ward gets introduced about a year and a half before his big storyline when Sandman tries to kill him in a throwaway one issue story. It's a rich tapestry of garbage sub-plots and awful choices.

As for the actual stalker storyline: Mary Jane is plagued by harassing phone calls, then the stalker disguises himself as a cabbie and terrorizes MJ some more without her seeing his face. He's able to find out MJ's travel route through his laptop, and remains untraceable in his harassing phone calls. He boards MJ's plane, and blows it up, but uses his mutant powers to save both himself and Mary Jane, after drugging her with a lollipop (which she took from a stranger, because she is the stupidest person alive). It turns out he is a homeless person who can't deal with his mental-based mutant powers, and after being saved once by Peter Parker, he mind-melded to him, including a crazy love for Mary Jane. So he kidnaps her and fakes her death, and has her living in a windowless cell for months. This is all so he can... I guess take Peter's identity? Peter shows up, this un-named dude easily beats him, but then decides he can't go through with it and kills himself, without even doing the reader the courtesy of giving himself a name. It doesn't help that he looks like a slightly off-model Peter Parker.

It's definitely a super-clear case of a writer trying to hit reset on his subplots (this was Mackie's last arc), and it's also clear he had no intention for mutant powers or being a homeless crazy person during the original Mackie/Byrne issues. In those, he kills a cabbie with a bat, and is some kind of tech genius. It was also clearly the editorial mandate of breaking up the marriage somehow, but the way they did it was so stupid because how was he supposed to do anything but mourn or not believe his wife is dead? Short of another six month jump (which started the Mackie/Byrne run in the first place), how are we supposed to believe he's a devil-may-care bachelor when his wife was just exploded?

Howard Mackie is just not a good writer. For more, check out X-Factor in the late 90's or Mutant X.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The sad part is that JRJR makes some of the stupidest scenes Mackie wrote look rad as hell, and it's probably some of his best work ever. I especially liked how he drew Venom.

Whoever was on inks and colors also did a bang-up job throughout. What a loving waste of great art.

Oh, yeah, I certainly didn't mean that as a knock on Romita or anything; I think he elevated the shakier parts of Jurgens's early Thor run in the same way.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The two worst parts about the Mackie's run that I remember, and man oh man were there a bunch, was Peter deciding to be homeless instead of asking Aunt May if he can crash on the couch or something and the secret identity of the new Green Goblin.

Peter fights the new Goblin, who had been appearing for a good year or two in story lines, rips off the mask and reveals it's....IT'S...

NORMAN....No, HARRY....No, a clone of Harry...No, its a clone of no one! Literally, he goes, "I'm nobody" then melts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

The two worst parts about the Mackie's run that I remember, and man oh man were there a bunch, was Peter deciding to be homeless instead of asking Aunt May if he can crash on the couch or something and the secret identity of the new Green Goblin.

It doesn't end there; while he's sleeping rough in a doorway, his backpack containing his Spidey costume is lifted by a guy who sells it to J. Jonah Jameson, who has it for a couple of issues, then beats up Alistair Smythe with a baseball bat and... I can't actually remember how that plotline was resolved, but it probably wasn't particularly satisfying.

Anyway, because he's lost his regular outfit, Peter has to start using the black costume again, which causes Eddie Brock's ex-wife to throw herself to her death, which leads to Venom swearing vengeance on Spider-Man, then the symbiote's stolen by Senator Ward, which really comes to nothing.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Yeah, Peter apparently forgets he has super powers so he doesn't really have to sleep in an alley if he doesn't want to- he could like, web himself up a nice hammock or something. And there's also the subplot where Peter thinks Jonah looked under his mask while he was unconscious, which might have been an intentional callback to... I think Wolfman's Amazing run back in the 70's? Because it's beat for beat the same story, except in that version, Smythe sticks a bomb between Spidey and Jonah and handcuffs them together. In this version... Smythe's son forces Jonah to lure Spider-Man into a trap? It's bad.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

laz0rbeak posted:

Howard Mackie is just not a good writer. For more, check out X-Factor in the late 90's or Mutant X.

Mackie was supposed to write the very last issue of the Clone Saga, Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75. An editor had painstakingly made everything fit in an office memo so that the ending to the Clone Saga would make sense. There was even a one-shot called "The Osborn Journal" to explain this to the readers. Mackie? Didn't even read the memo, the issue was then written pretty much by committée.

If you want another trainwreck, there's the Clone Saga miniseries by Mackie and Defalco that came out five-ish years ago.
There's a sequence of panels where it's obvious that Mackie and/or Defalco thought "this is cool" and didn't give too much thought about. It's where the baby gets stolen - then flash-cut to a misty pier at night - then flash cut to Spiders swinging about Manhattan, mid-day - implicating that the Spider-Men have been aimlessly swinging around for a full day looking for an unknown kidnapper...

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Mackie's X-Factor had the most bizarre line up of characters* that didn't work. Forge! Polaris! Sabretooth! Mystique! Alpha Flight's breakout character Wildchild! A hard light hologram version of Bishop's sister you all wanted to forget existed Shard!

You won't believe who the government has funded them to fight... well it's nobody really, mainly each other and The Adversary. Largely they just argue and hang around their own headquarters.

*but not the worst that honour goes to the Eve of Destruction X-Men team.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh christ I looked up the Eve of Destruction team and you ain't kidding Giedroyc:

quote:

Eve of Destruction" crossover: While Cyclops and Wolverine infiltrate Genosha to save Professor X, Jean Grey forms an interim team composed of Dazzler, Northstar, Omerta, Sunpyre, Wraith, and a mind-controlled Frenzy.

Christ it's like a who's-who of who gives a poo poo? I get that sometimes you want to and have to give tertiary characters a chance in the limelight, but usually with someone worth a drat to balance them out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wraith must have had the least useful mutant power to have in a fight; dude had invisible skin.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

and yet he got a prominent role in a movie before Emma Frost. There is no justice in this world.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mind the walrus posted:

and yet he got a prominent role in a movie before Emma Frost. There is no justice in this world.

Hey, man. The Generation X movie came out in 1996.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh snap! You're right. gently caress me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Who the hell is Omertà?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

According to a Marvel wiki he's a wannabe mafioso who was rejected for being a mutant. His power is that he's invulnerable. He never even seems to have progressed out of the blue/yellow cadet uniform phase of being an X-Man.

He apparently had some homophobia arc with Northstar, and died during some Weapon X shenanigans when they decided his power was useless to them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aaaaand I also just found out about a Morlock named Tar baby of all things introduced in Power Pack, of all things. He was killed in the same issue as Omerta and Maggot (it's clearly part of a "cleaning house" miniseries).

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gavok posted:

Hey, man. The Generation X movie came out in 1996.

Oh God, that movie was so bad I blotted it out until now. The plot sucked, the acting sucked, and they even replaced Chamber and Husk because they couldn't afford decent SFX for their powers. The replacement for Paige was an even bigger hayseed named Arlee Hicks. C'mon, really? "Hicks"???

EDIT: and they didn't even bother to cast an Asian for Jubilee. (The 1st X-Men movie also had a Caucasian play Jubes, but it was just a cameo).

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2014

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Oh christ I looked up the Eve of Destruction team and you ain't kidding Giedroyc:

Christ it's like a who's-who of who gives a poo poo? I get that sometimes you want to and have to give tertiary characters a chance in the limelight, but usually with someone worth a drat to balance them out.

I loved the "who?" aspect of that team Jean Grey assembled. It was a nice homage to Giant Size X-Men #1. Omerta was obviously not a breakout hit, as after hitting on Jean Grey in that crossover, I think his very next appearance was at the death camps in Weapon X.

I think my favorite part of Mackie's X-Factor is the story/arc where everyone on the team forgot Shard existed for some reason.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Was the whole "who?" aspect of that team really an homage to Giant-Size X-Men #1 (genuinely curious)? My gut tells me no.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Was the whole "who?" aspect of that team really an homage to Giant-Size X-Men #1 (genuinely curious)? My gut tells me no.

No, it was pretty obviously an homage. Jean had "recruitment" scenes with the temporary team that were very clearly meant to echo gathering the All New, All-Different team.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ahh. Makes sense. Still, what a poo poo line-up. I mean with Giant-Size X-Men you can immediately see conceptual winners in there like Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler as well as "I can see cool things being done with them" like Storm, Banshee, and Sunfire-- with the line-up in Eve of Destruction the best characters are Dazzler and Northstar, neither of whom sets the mind on fire with possibility and were known as permanent supporting characters for good reason.

It's like the writer didn't even try to understand why Giant-Size worked.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Ahh. Makes sense. Still, what a poo poo line-up. I mean with Giant-Size X-Men you can immediately see conceptual winners in there like Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler as well as "I can see cool things being done with them" like Storm, Banshee, and Sunfire-- with the line-up in Eve of Destruction the best characters are Dazzler and Northstar, neither of whom sets the mind on fire with possibility and were known as permanent supporting characters for good reason.

It's like the writer didn't even try to understand why Giant-Size worked.

As mentioned, I thought the Eve of Destruction lineup worked fine. There was no danger of this being the regular team, it was just sort of a "this is who we have" sense of desperation that I enjoyed. It was a perfectly cromulent Scott Lobdell comic. He wasn't trying to re-write GSX, he was just referencing it by having Jean forced to recruit who she could get, and that ended up being a motley bunch, and the book doesn't try to disguise the fact in-story.

Now, Weapon X as written by Frank Tieri? That was an awful run.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
True story, the first comic I ever bought was the Eve of Destruction issue with Northstar on the cover and eleven-year old me was very excited and thought he was reading the brand new next reincarnation of the X-Men.

Five or so issues later, that team got disbanded in a single page.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

mind the walrus posted:

That was John Wraith, codename Kestrel. Standard issue teleporter, if I remember right.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Giedroyc posted:

Mackie's X-Factor had the most bizarre line up of characters* that didn't work. Forge! Polaris! Sabretooth! Mystique! Alpha Flight's breakout character Wildchild! A hard light hologram version of Bishop's sister you all wanted to forget existed Shard!

You won't believe who the government has funded them to fight... well it's nobody really, mainly each other and The Adversary. Largely they just argue and hang around their own headquarters.

*but not the worst that honour goes to the Eve of Destruction X-Men team.

To be fair I don't think that line up or set up is really a problem. Carey's X-Men had a pretty oddball lineup (and even included Sabretooth and Mystique) and was really good. Carey seemed to like using lesser/overlooked characters like that considering that he also used the New X-Men kids (and not the name ones; Trance and Indra were the ones he used the most I believe) and the last arc of his run involved friggin' Ariel from the Fallen Angels mini.

The road trip arc of John Francis Moore's X-Force is, well, a road trip with some very light action and is pretty fun. And I liked the pre-Yost/Kyle New Mutants/New X-Men stuff a lot.

It's just that Mackie is a bad writer so while something like that can work in the right hands, the right hands obviously don't belong to him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh goodie so nobody has done Ben Raabs run on Green Lantern yet.

First, some backstory, at issue #47 of Green Lantern (Vol.3) Ron Marz, an excellent writer at both merging the cosmic with the earthbound super heroics (Most notably would be Silver Surfer before this, and after this Witchblade which he managed to turn from a Cheesecake book into something worth buying) was tasked with writing the new Green Lantern as Hal Jordan had been killing the sales and the book of in cancellation territory. After being told "No the new one can't be a girl" and having the requisite 6 issues he would need to properly tell the story of Hal's breakdown over the destruction of Coast City, his abandonment by the Guardians, and the tragic descent of a man who was too much of a hero for his own good (despite what Geoff Johns would hav you believe) into going to the extremes to SAVE everyone. He still managed in 3 issues and brought us Kyle Rayner.

Rayner was young, he made mistakes, he had a huge legacy to live up to and is probably the best example of the "Marvel-Style Superhero) existing in the DCU, at the time he was one of the main reasons to pick up a DC book in the 90's (At his height, GL was outselling both Superman and Batman, only doing less than JLA, which Kyle was apart of and basically billed as one of the main characters) Regardless Marz left at 125 with a hint for the future of how to restore the GLC (which he always intended to do) and a few future plot points.

Which were all summarily forgotten by Judd Winnick, who was pretty hit and miss, Hits being Ion and misses being pretty much everything to do with Terry Berg. At the end of the Winnick issues, Terry Berg was beaten for being gay, Kyle went Batman on some thugs in prison (in his new outfit designed by Jim Lee) and decided that, despite having been Omnipotent and having had universal empathy, this heinous act was enough for him to ABANDON EARTH ALL TOGETHER.

And yet, this is not going to be about Judd Winnick, this is about Ben Raab.

Now the series as I had mentioned, had at one point been popular enough to eclipse nearly everything DC was putting out, that had waned under Winnick, but Ben Raab is the one who would kill the book to the point that we would have Geoff Johns incflicted on us for years (Apologies to Geoff Johns fans of his GL run, I just think he was a complete and utter hack who constantly retconned things and had about one story that he told over and over again until he finally left the book) Ben Raab's first major decision was that, since Kyle had brought back the Guardians as children (with none of the immortality or hubris and with gender) he would instantly age one of them up into an amazonian woman in a skimpy metal thong and bra and have her beat him up and then punch Jade, his Beau who no longer exists, in the gut, when we thought she was pregnant.

She realized she wasn't pregnant so went back to earth. We'll get to the rape of Jade as a character in a moment. Kyle decided to stay in space and try to recreate the Corps without giving them any rings, because the last time he gave rings out one of the guys turned out be a conqueror (if you want to see a good story involving the Corp go read Green Lantern: New Corp) And he also had Kilowog with him who was alive again in another dumb story, and Kilowog didn't get a ring either, because gently caress you Kilowog.

So instead of anything new or interesting for Kyle to do like he had during Marz's run or the exploration on what it meant to be a ring slinger with the mentorage of Alan Scott we got with Winnick. We got Kyle Rayner hunting down a drug cartel run by Abin Sur's son, Amon Sur. Which came down to earth so HE came down to earth. The Black Ring was basically the Space Mafia and that sounds really cool except it was really dumb. Because it lead to a plot arc in which Green Lantern didn't make any constructs as he went undercover for like 6 issues.

This plot arc by the way kicked off with Kyle letting a shipment of teenage prostitutes go so as to not blow his cover. Disregard how utterly out of character it is for him, in the very next issue he orbital bombards a planet with his Green Ring, then doesn't kill the guy he's been sent there to kill, because KILLING WOULD BREAK HIS MORAL COMPASS! We see one of those child prostitutes later and she's working as a pleasure slave for Amon. It's pretty loving disgusting.

So Kyle's acting completely out of character. But on to Jade who got the brunt of it.

So for the better part of Kyle's run he had been dating Jade, the daughter of Alan Scott, and had even proposed to her and thought he was having a child with her. She turned him down by the way. Well she couldn't stand living in space and went back down to earth. Kyle sent his friends on earth a message before he went undercover, detailing that he wouldn't be able to communicate with them soon but they could use this to send a message back. Everyone had a message for Kyle but Jade.

Okay fine, but at the same time, she was complaining to Meryan, a former Darkstar and lover of John Stewart. You see... Jen had needs, needs that Kyle wasn't fulfilling since he was off in space "Playing Hero" so she (with encouragement) decided that the best thing to do was to go off and have an affair.

Not just a one night thing either, she just starts cheating on the guy with absolutely no remorse, destroying any fan of their relationship and their relationship in general. I would say this was better than what happened to Donna Troy (John Bryne decided he had to "Fix" her and stole her out of Green Lantern, Necessitating many rewrites for already written issues) except it's still terrible.

Now while Meryan was encouraging one of her friends to cheat on another one of her friends, John Stewart was off visiting Fatality in jail, and deciding he really wanted to get freaking with the black space elf who tried to kill him instead of getting freaky with the blue space elf he had been seeing loyaly for years. There's a lot of random cheating in Raabs run.

So back with Kyle, it turns out Amon Sur knew ALL ALONG that Kyle was infiltrating his Cartel, and after one panel of a bounty hunter deciding he was going to work with Kyle... deciding he was going to work with Kyle, he promptly kills the bounty hunter and goes to kill Kyle. One of the 'lanterns' (Remember no rings) that Kyle had recruited had also been infiltrated by Amon, and by infiltrated my I mean the implication is he raped her to get her to work for him, she betrays the others and is then sucked out of an airlock. If this sounds disjointed it's only cause it totally was.

Anyway, it turns out the Qwardians working with Amon Sur have made an Anti-matter gun and are shooting it at Oa, which all the children Guardians, Ganthet, and big blue tits are trying to seal up the black holes it's making. So Kyle stops it with the looney tunes bent pipe, He goes to confront Amon Sur, and then gets stabbed from behind by BBT! Why? I don't know! And then she kills Amon, except she doesn't because he shows up for Sinestro Corp War.

Kyle wills something and then we see the ring speeding down to earth and wind up with Terry Berg, who I've been failing to mention because I try to block out that a good portion of each issue was devoted to him reconciling with his gay hating family and his status as a gay rights activist, his boyfriend blowing him (not even kidding the comic thought we needed to see that) and generally doing everything that was so high up on the soapbox that it cracked its head on the ceiling!

And that's the end of the run. Ron Marz came back with the task of "clean this poo poo up!" and proceeded to do so, he basically wrote a story which meant you could have ignored Winnick and Raab and still gotten the gist of it (Kyle survived the exploding space station and being stabbed by willing himself into his ring, then the ring back to earth to Terry, then got out of the ring and went on his merry way after a pizza) He finalized the break up of Jen and Kyle by having both of them say they really didn't understand how this had happened in the first place, since they had, for the better part of 10 years, loyally loved one another and the only major break had been Donna coming back and stirring Kyles heart, which he apologized for, she broke up with him, and they got back together after a time. By the way Jen had been cheating on him in his apartment, FUN! He settled the score with Fatality and finally Major Force, and then flew off into space to go bring back Hal Jordan and be forever relegated to never having a place or home on earth.

Ben Raab utterly killed the book, I don't even mean in terms of writing (which he did) but he drove sales down the tank, necessitating the end of the 181 volume Green Lantern and the reboot by Johns. He ruined every character involved, either by having the cheat, act like assholes or just not be heroic.

I really wish I could provide picture evidence but I don't have the comics with me, and honestly I hate looking at them, they make me sick. I would love a "The Best Runs" thread simply so I could talk about Ron Marz's excellent run on GL.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That's...truly horrific. Like Clone Saga horrific.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh goodie so nobody has done Ben Raabs run on Green Lantern yet.

First, some backstory, at issue #47 of Green Lantern (Vol.3) Ron Marz, an excellent writer at both merging the cosmic with the earthbound super heroics (Most notably would be Silver Surfer before this, and after this Witchblade which he managed to turn from a Cheesecake book into something worth buying) was tasked with writing the new Green Lantern as Hal Jordan had been killing the sales and the book of in cancellation territory. After being told "No the new one can't be a girl" and having the requisite 6 issues he would need to properly tell the story of Hal's breakdown over the destruction of Coast City, his abandonment by the Guardians, and the tragic descent of a man who was too much of a hero for his own good (despite what Geoff Johns would hav you believe) into going to the extremes to SAVE everyone. He still managed in 3 issues and brought us Kyle Rayner.

Wait, I've never heard this before. There was serious consideration given to it being Kyla Rayner? And why in God's name would DC find that objectionable?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, I've never heard this before. There was serious consideration given to it being Kyla Rayner? And why in God's name would DC find that objectionable?

I bet I can outline the thought process:
  • Boys read more comics than girls
  • Boys want male heroes to read about
  • Books about female heroes don't sell as well

(I'm not saying this is a good thought process, but it's probably what was used.)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Onmi posted:

I really wish I could provide picture evidence but I don't have the comics with me, and honestly I hate looking at them, they make me sick. I would love a "The Best Runs" thread simply so I could talk about Ron Marz's excellent run on GL.

You can also make that thread and convince people why they should try out the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I followed Kyle GL religiously. I liked the Winnick stuff for the Ion arc and the relationship with Alan Scott, which wasn't as fleshed out as Wally/Jay Garrick but was still fun. Guy Gardner running a bar and the reunions of the former GLs there were great, as was Spectre Hal's occasional appearance.

But I completely erased all the things you talked about. I forgot that anything happened at all when he went into space. The poo poo with Jade was horrible. Really just awful betrayal of what that relationship was up to that point. I skimmed through the stupid crime stuff, too, so hearing the explicit details is just bleagh.

• Locked thread