Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ugh. I hit Chapter 5 and my interest in continuing the game has basically plummeted.

Not that you should have to, but taking it slow stops the burn out here. Or at least makes it less of an issue. As I say though, it's not something that you should have to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

Not that you should have to, but taking it slow stops the burn out here. Or at least makes it less of an issue. As I say though, it's not something that you should have to consider.

My solution was just to toss on my gently caress You, I Win skill setup. Which is not exactly fun but if they're gonna throw that at me, I've got no problem throwing it right back at them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's why I've recommended just progressing the story if you don't like the premise of chapters 5-8. It's something that I would hope is avoided in Bravely Second.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you have someone as merchant you basically drown in money just passively. I'm sitting on like 80k only mid way through chapter 2.

Hahahaha you think that's a lot of money :allears:

Everyone should get the More Money support ability ASAP, you'll need it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Hahahaha you think that's a lot of money :allears:

Everyone should get the More Money support ability ASAP, you'll need it.

I've already unlocked 99,999pg equipment from Norende. Working on my first Merchant right now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The 99.999pg weapons are the strongest in the game, so if you dont want that stuff early think twice about it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

By the time you get to chapter 4 you'll be spending a significant chunk of that just stocking up on new equipment and spells. I don't think I'll consider dropping that amount on a single item until sometime later.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 10, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

God drat light warriors taking Eternian jobs.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

God drat light warriors taking Eternian jobs.

I'm enjoying the whole sidequest stuff for getting new jobs, but I think they should've been front-loaded a bit more. Early chapter 1 and 2 were kinda boring with the limited classes they gave you. Chapter 3 on the other hand gives you a ton of good stuff.

Maybe they could've done it where you partially unlock a job and need to beat a higher-level master to fully open it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Eddain posted:

I'm enjoying the whole sidequest stuff for getting new jobs, but I think they should've been front-loaded a bit more. Early chapter 1 and 2 were kinda boring with the limited classes they gave you. Chapter 3 on the other hand gives you a ton of good stuff.

Maybe they could've done it where you partially unlock a job and need to beat a higher-level master to fully open it.

If it's better than Spell Fencer, I'm pretty drat excited.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm already overwhelmed just with the choices I have in chapter 2 - and I haven't even beaten the red mage yet. I guess that'll be less of a problem once the JP rates ramp up a bit more, though.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
There is a sort of artificial stop to get you to go to other jobs at job level 9 where the jp required jumps up to 3500 from 800.

Veev fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 10, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Finally picked this up on my lunch break, can't wait to get home and start.

Also the US box art is terrible. I ended up taking the manual from inside and covering the box with it so I can kind of pretend the EU boxart is there instead of lovingly rendered fairy butts

ImpAtom posted:

Ugh. I hit Chapter 5 and my interest in continuing the game has basically plummeted.

I've been seeing a whole lot of this and it's making me wary though. I looked up a light spoiler for what they do here and... why.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 10, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
/\ Chapter five does something really weird (and somewhat tedious) for plot reasons. I actually like it though.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

If it's better than Spell Fencer, I'm pretty drat excited.

Seriously spell fencer is amazing and actually holds up pretty well through early chapter five at least.

Summoner, on the other hand, is a bit of a mixed bag. It's really drat good versus multiple enemies but black mage is a lot better for single targets.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Summoner is really terrible. Spell Fencer goes all the way up to tier 6 black mage spells so!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
This is the best version of FFV I've ever played. There are so many options for building characters and it's pretty painless to level jobs with auto battle and random encounters turned up. Not sure how it'd work, but I'd love to do a four job fiesta with this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't worth power-leveling your jobs early. Once you hit a certain point you'll be getting 200-400 JP/battle. It's pretty trivial to max your stuff out at that point.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've been seeing a whole lot of this and it's making me wary though. I looked up a light spoiler for what they do here and... why.

It's terrible. The game is wonderful up until then and then takes such a massive nosedive that there's no words for it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I think the info for More Money is wrong. It says it stacks with multiple characters running the support ability but I've checked it in battles and money gain after the first ability doesn't do anything.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Summoner, on the other hand, is a bit of a mixed bag. It's really drat good versus multiple enemies but black mage is a lot better for single targets.

I'm hoping that Convergence works on summons, that would be nice.

I ended up using summons a lot in vampire castle, the damage from the dogs' Hellfire kept refilling the summoner's mp.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Eddain posted:

I think the info for More Money is wrong. It says it stacks with multiple characters running the support ability but I've checked it in battles and money gain after the first ability doesn't do anything.

Oh they haven't fixed that for the NA release eh? Yeah you can only have it active once. It stacks with the accessory though that gives 2x pg.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
^^^Maybe I was just in a different area then when getting 1k per fight.

Eddain posted:

I think you're right as I've noticed this as well. I have More Money on Tiz and Agnes and I don't think I'm getting any more money. Maybe it's the passive skill? I thought it was working when I had both as actual Merchants since I was getting around 1k per fight, but with just the passive on both I'm getting 500-600.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
SP wears off if you don't use it? I went to bed with two SP last night and now I have zero. I didn't even get one for leaving it in sleep mode all night. Does it not work if I'm in a dungeon?

Also both yesterday and today the first time I tried a net friend invite it says I already did one for today. Does it do it automatically? Because I ain't gettin' any new villagers from it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
No, SP stays until you use it. Dont know how that could have happened to you, did you use some? The time for net invite resets are weird too, just keep trying every few hours.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

/\ Chapter five does something really weird (and somewhat tedious) for plot reasons. I actually like it though.

Seriously spell fencer is amazing and actually holds up pretty well through early chapter five at least.

No I mean I looked up what they do mechanically (without looking up the plot justification) and it just doesn't seem like anyone making a game would think it's a good idea. I still intend to enjoy the game but man.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

No I mean I looked up what they do mechanically (without looking up the plot justification) and it just doesn't seem like anyone making a game would think it's a good idea. I still intend to enjoy the game but man.

I get the feeling that they just wanted to make a much longer game with limited funding and used this as a way to pad gameplay time as much as possible

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 10, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

No, SP stays until you use it. Dont know how that could have happened to you, did you use some? The time for net invite resets are weird too, just keep trying every few hours.

I'm pretty sure I only used one. Maybe I activated it and accidentally used three in one instance? Still weird that I got a full night's sleep and the hourglass is completely empty.

But the net invites thing is totally weird for me. I've been trying for two days and it always says that. I'll keep trying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

To be fair it does actually mix things up and gives more backstory.

Edit: \/ yeah that's the tricky part.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 10, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Mokinokaro posted:

To be fair it does actually mix things up and gives more backstory.

It's kind of hard to explain the why without giving somewhat significant spoilers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I like the story element behind it but, yeah, the gameplay kind of sucks.

I just dropped everything to easy and turned off encounters.

Now i'm grinding all the jobs to 14 to make killing the bosses even easier and i'm just going to go from boss to boss, cheesing them to get the extra back story.

The thing is that apparently some of them don't give you anything new. Like the vampire one. So there's no point in killing him again in chapter 6 if you already did it in 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The story element would be fine if it was trimmed or contained more new content. As it stands it is just padding and it certainly doesn't need to go on as long as it does.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I don't even know how one would go about implementing the mechanic with decent non-repetitive gameplay. Maybe less times around to finish the countdown to get to the Bravely Default chapter?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hivac posted:

I don't even know how one would go about implementing the mechanic with decent non-repetitive gameplay. Maybe less times around to finish the countdown to get to the Bravely Default chapter?

Yeah.
Pretty much. It's not as bad as ImpAtom makes it out to be the first time, but you have a fair amount more of them after it which makes it annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

All you really need is Two loops. One to have the initial "what the hell" and a second to have everyone figure it out. And the second loop should really end before you repeat the crystals again.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

All you really need is Two loops. One to have the initial "what the hell" and a second to have everyone figure it out. And the second loop should really end before you repeat the crystals again.

Well, considering how the boss of chapter 5 is optional, and the real final boss requires you to finish the loops, I would say maybe 3?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A really big spoiler you should not mouse over:

So it's kind of like the arc in Haruhi where they do Endless Eight? And people watching were all "nah they'll never do it EIGHT WHOLE TIMES come on

Anyway I'll see how I feel when I get there, I haven't even started the game up yet!

Edit: Zoolooman edited the spoiler to hide the show.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 11, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Cheesing the shrooms in the woods is pretty crazy for that point in the game.

Also, having Net friends with level 14 in a bunch of jobs breaks the game a little bit, even though I only have one person that does it. Like, Naked Monk Tiz is ridiculous, always hitting for crazy damage. The game has bent to my whim.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have hardly used friend summons. Being slightly over levelled due to job grinding and saving specials for bosses has made a lot of the early game easy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There seem to be loads of people who got the game a week after me who are in Chapter 5 already. What the hell? I'm still on Chapter 1 (but possibly at the end of it? I dunno).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A really big spoiler you should not mouse over:

So it's kind of like the arc in Haruhi where they do Endless Eight? And people watching were all "nah they'll never do it EIGHT WHOLE TIMES come on

Anyway I'll see how I feel when I get there, I haven't even started the game up yet!

This is actually one of those things a lot of people knew about going in, and honestly I would go as far as to say you should know about this going into the game. I'm surprised more people don't talk about it because it's kinda a super lazy design decision that developers should never do.

irlZaphod posted:

There seem to be loads of people who got the game a week after me who are in Chapter 5 already. What the hell? I'm still on Chapter 1 (but possibly at the end of it? I dunno).

I can understand taking your time, but even if you do everything available to you, it doesn't take long at all to get to Chapter 5. Where Bravely Default really gets its length is in the extra content and leveling jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I once tried to watch Haruhi.
I didn't understand that whole deal.
Anime is weird.

• Locked thread