Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jedi425 posted:

I usually list a couple certs, like DaF suggested. No reason you can't self-improve at the same time you're becoming better at your job.

I thought this was the TPS reports thread so I picked something general. It's definitely a good idea to choose goals that you actually want to do and you have a reasonable chance of succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been talking with a friend and getting advice in another thread. I decided to go with more of the Network engineering side of things. My only concern is running cable and such. Is this normal for an Engineer? I only ask because I'm a bit afraid of heights and ladders are not something I enjoy at all. I know it's silly but I can't shake the concern. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Irritated Goat posted:

I've been talking with a friend and getting advice in another thread. I decided to go with more of the Network engineering side of things. My only concern is running cable and such. Is this normal for an Engineer? I only ask because I'm a bit afraid of heights and ladders are not something I enjoy at all. I know it's silly but I can't shake the concern. :(

You could if you want but in all but the smallest shops you can just have contractors come in and do cable runs (or interns or entry-level co-workers)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Network Engineer is planning networks and configuring the kit. With that title it should be far too expensive to even think about having you pulling cable.

But who knows with title inflation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eh, our entire engineering team ran cables inside the datacenter. We hired contractors to do the longer runs, but I occasionally had to end up fixing their poo poo because the Contracting Officer for the cable guys worked at the helpdesk and therefore didn't know how to properly inspect their work.

But either way, just as sysadmins have to know how to replace RAM, you should know how to crimp and punch cables even if you rarely ever do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Datacenter is a bit different. I would expect to be able to fault find cabling faults and redoing ends if it turned out they were a problem, but I wouldn't expect to be pulling runs in whilst the drywall team were going round or lifting floors or anything like that.

I'd expect to hook up APs, but after a contractor had already been and pulled the cable in and put the relevant bracket on the wall.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Caged posted:

Datacenter is a bit different. I would expect to be able to fault find cabling faults and redoing ends if it turned out they were a problem, but I wouldn't expect to be pulling runs in whilst the drywall team were going round or lifting floors or anything like that.

I'd expect to hook up APs, but after a contractor had already been and pulled the cable in and put the relevant bracket on the wall.

Caged posted:

Network Engineer is planning networks and configuring the kit. With that title it should be far too expensive to even think about having you pulling cable.

But who knows with title inflation.

This actually helps a ton. I appreciate it guys.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

It's much more expensive for us to hire out cable runs than to do it ourselves. Even the cheapest electrician is going to charge $75/hr plus a trip charge, so unless we have a lot of runs to do he's going to be more expensive. However, he does a better job and can probably do more than double the cables that even the fastest guy on my team, so we always hire out building runs. Datacenter we do ourselves, because it's pretty easy.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Only work at places that run cables under the floor. Problem solved.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The only "personal" stuff I ever put on my laptop is usually a copy of Final Fantasy or something to do if I'm out on a business trip and bored in my hotel room.

I'm very bad at keeping personal poo poo out of my work laptop. I figure as long as my work can be done, the extra HD space is mine.

I have a full backup of my music on there, Steam, and a full Dropbox. I don't actually play games on the laptop because of the lovely graphics card and mostly use it to download stuff to transport home. I also like to watch movies and such on it as a second screen while at home. My account and team is super chill and doesn't give a poo poo or check.

I probably should clear it out though. You never know. It's encrypted but that doesn't mean squat when it's their encryption. I know how to manage it intelligently and not compromise security or bring in liablity. I'd end up being responsible for reimaging it even if it wasn't issued to me anyway. Maybe I should have a massive truecrypt volume for personal poo poo just to be safe.

(Noob question: What does yotj mean?)

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 9, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOTJ = year of the job. A few years back a bunch of goons working at miserable companies all got great new jobs so posters started saying it was the year of the job. Now it just refers to anyone making a sweet job upgrade.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

three posted:

Only work at places that run cables under the floor. Problem solved.

This is probably my biggest concern about the job I've just taken.

Some of the buildings are from the 60s and the security department won't allow plastic conduit (metal pipes only!)

So there is a distinct lack of data points across the site

I guess I can use it to my advantage to manage requests for additional PCs - by manage I obviously mean reject!

However it's going to become a PITA sooner or later

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Docjowles posted:

YOTJ = year of the job. A few years back a bunch of goons working at miserable companies all got great new jobs so posters started saying it was the year of the job. Now it just refers to anyone making a sweet job upgrade.

I feel dumb asking but can someone explain the emoticon? :yotj: What is in his mouth instead of :toot:?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

wa27 posted:

I feel dumb asking but can someone explain the emoticon? :yotj: What is in his mouth instead of :toot:?

I believe it's a bottle of alcohol.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

madsushi posted:

I believe it's a bottle of alcohol.
Technically, it's what we in industry refer to as "rotgut."

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, kind of a long post
I think I need some advice.

i'm currently in school studying IT.
I'm also studying for my CCNA which I feel I am almost ready for.

In january 2012, I needed an internship for my school. I found a small startup company and worked as an intern there. I was hired after my internship ended and have worked there since. I don't get paid much, in fact I haven't gotten paid in the last 11 months. I only got paid the 1st 2 months I worked there after my internship ended.
I work as a system administrator there and manage about 13 pc's, 1 server and a printer. It's a small startup with about 15 users.
there are no real problems other than the occasional, "how do I login" "can you help me with this in word/excel/whatever program their on"

I'm on call 24/7. I'm the only IT guy here. when I am away from work and there is a problem. I just remote login to solve whatever is going on. (usually minor problems)
This job syncs perfectly with my school. I can change my work roster to fit my school roster and my boss is okay with it.
I am getting a lot of experience. I have come a long way since last year. I think this would look great on my resume once I graduate.

My main duty's day to day is handling back-ups. solving tickets. making sure everything is operational.
When I started, there was nothing. no structure, no server, no backups. I build all that from the ground with very limited funds.
I have built the AD server, made a print server and a file server. I know it is a bad idea to use the AD server as a file server. but I have no choice. there is no money for another server. I Implemented a ticketing system, organized emails, build a website (not very good, I'm not that good with html5 and css)
I have learned a lot about group policy and Windows servers
run the IT infrastructure. I only connected a few switches to the router. haven't really done any in depth configuring.(I am still learning about that. The only things I have done is port forwarding and used QOS for the VOIP modem and the printer. I have made a lot of documentation for the users but mostly for myself.
I use best practices where ever possible.
Installed VOIP (which was a nightmare for me at the time. loads of problems with our VOIP connection, solved now though)

I have made one huge mistake.
we had a lot of VOIP problems. the source of those problems was that our router was just lovely.
after trouble shooting. I DMZ'd the VOIP modem. problem was solved that day. and I forgot to turn DMZ off
next day the modem was hacked and the line was redialed to some place in Ukraine.
That still today is my biggest gently caress up. luckily there was almost no damage and it was easily fixed. I went to my boss and told him it was my fault. and he said. don't worry about it, we all make mistakes.
This boss is amazing. I really like him, but he just needs to pay me.
after spending days with the technical service of our VOIP provider we came to the conclusion that the router is the problem. My boss finally decided to let me buy a new better router, (not a single VOIP problem since then)

The only thing that sucks is that I haven't gotten paid to the point where I went to my boss and said I have a bill to pay, can you pay it for me (he did) but why do I have to ask him.
I really like working for him. This job is amazing. The things I am learning each day are great.
let me give a bit more back story.
last summer I went to him to get my paycheck and he said he didn't have the money and asked me if I minded waiting a bit.
I waited a month then asked him again. got the same reply he doesn't have it yet. asked each month. fast forward to now. and he still hasn't paid me. He has paid a bill for me though. He always gives some vague hint that he'll pay me sometime next month
I still live with my mom. so I don't have any fixed bills each month.

What would make more sense to do.
stay working here hoping in vain I get paid someday till I graduate and find a good paying job.
or do I have enough knowledge and experience to find a part time gig as junior system administrator?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Wow, you are getting rear-ended so hard. I'd personally say that unless you get paid, including your back pay, you're not there any more.

If he's not paying you, why would you stay there?

It's good you've picked up a lot of skills, but there has to be a limit, you know?

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
No pay = get out!

I know he seems like a nice guy, but not paying you for 11 months, should tell you all you need to know about what kind of person he is. Get out and never look back!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Wicaeed posted:

For those of you in larger environments with multiple datacenters/racks & running multiple applications, how do you keep track of it all?

Our company uses something called racktables, an opensource project that while it seems simple, is retardedly complex on the backend (db side) in how it organizes objects. Since it's open source and the userbase is fairly small, updates are rather infrequent and small in scale.

It does some things well, like documenting what servers are where and in what racks, IP tracking, and mapping port assignments to servers, however everything is completely manual entry.

We use it to also keep track of our company asset tags so that we can then, in theory, quickly find out what projects are using what assets. At least that's what I've been told the goal is.

Does anyone know of similar products, both in the Opensource area as well as paid products that can do all of that, and hopefully more?

National MultiTech make something called CADPLUS, which does pretty much everything you're looking for, I know at least one Fortune 500 company uses it. Click a tack in an AutoCAD drawing and it can show you every server, serial number and asset tag, every plugs location, amperage and utilisation and then follow that back up to the PDU layer as well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sefal posted:

The only thing that sucks is that I haven't gotten paid

Stop here. This is the only point worth discussing. The other circumstances don't matter at all. Stop being a pussy. You have a legal right to be paid what was agreed upon when you started that job, every drat cent for the last 11 months (seriously, are you loving kidding?). Demand it, and do not work one additional minute until you get all of it. This wasn't a volunteer position, right? It's a paid internship.

Your boss will make excuses as to why he can't pay you. Do you know why? Because he isn't a nice guy, he isn't an amazing boss. He is a skilled social engineer and manipulator who smelled a sucker (that's you) and is milking you for all the free work he can get out of you.

I doubt you'll get anything out of him without pursuing legal action, if he's milked you this long. Business owners take advantage of contracted IT workers all the time because there is no union and we generally like to avoid confrontation, making us easy marks. It brings down the whole industry when one of us lets it happen.

Don't ask for your back pay. Look him in the loving eye and demand it. It doesn't matter that you're younger than he is or in a subordinate position or that you think you need more experience or think your skills aren't up to par or whatever other rationalization you want to make. You. Deserve. To Be. Paid. Stop working for him until you are. Don't finish up a build or wrap up documentation or anything that people getting out of amicable employment relationships do. Drop everything on the floor and walk until you get the money to which you are entitled.

Argh.

Edit: Oh, you may be fired if you do this. If that happens, you're STILL entitled to your pay, but you'll probably have to sue or threaten to sue for it. It can work, but it takes effort. Be prepared for that possibility. But after a year or more of internship, you'll be able to find something else that will give you experience, AND money, so there's no real reason to stick around where you're being taken advantage of.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 10, 2014

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It wasn't a volunteer position. I did not get paid during my internship though. After my internship ended. we sat around and discussed salary. we agreed on a monthly salary based on the days I work. he paid me each month for 2 months. and he gave me a Christmas bonus. I know you guys are right I should get out. but what I'm contemplating is get out now, or wait till I find something else. Because I believe it will be easier to find another job while I am working.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't mention you were willing to work without pay for 11 months in the next interview you have, if you can avoid it. You'll just be telling your new boss that he can gently caress with you. You're entitled to back pay, you should probably discuss it with your current boss if you can. If he's genuinely a nice bloke, he'll try and get something rolling. If he just goes "sorry, no" then you just have to say "sorry, I have stuff I need to pay for, i'm going to try and find a new job".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How? You can always claim that you are still employed there on your resume, after all it's not like there will be any change to your financial situation at all.

If you decide to keep going back then you must love punishment. If despite what people are saying you go back to do anything other than demand your agreed pay then you had better spend your entire time polishing a resume, learning stuff without it benefitting anything at your 'job', and applying for other work.

I can't believe that you stayed more than a few days past the first "we can't pay you this month" discussion. Look around you, the company clearly has money as they are paying their other staff, paying rent, paying for supplies etc. 11 months, jesus gently caress.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sefal posted:

Because I believe it will be easier to find another job while I am working.

Okay this? This is a rationalization.

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

Sefal posted:

Because I believe it will be easier to find another job while I am working.

Yeah you wouldn't want to lose that paycheck.

oh. wait.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think what I'm going to do, is discuss this with my boss and if he just says no. Tell him I'm looking for another job because I need payment.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 10, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You forgot the bit where you pursue what you're owed.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm definitely pursuing my back pay. I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes.
You guys are loving right, this is insane.
I hope the conversation goes well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sefal posted:

in fact I haven't gotten paid in the last 11 months.
Do you know exactly how much you are owed? I'd get that figured out. Write it down. Do not accept anything less than that amount.

There's a few things you can do.
First, you could call your state bar organization and ask for a referral to a lawyer who specializes in employee rights.
Second, you could contact a state agency: http://www.workplacefairness.org/stateagencies

Even the Bible points this out as being a super extra-bad sin, it "cries" out to heaven for vengeance. It's in the same category as murder and stealing from orphans. If he doesn't pay you then he is a bad man.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Where do I sign up for some sweet unpaid laborers?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Sefal posted:

I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes.

:munch:

I'm waiting for him to try and weasel out of paying you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

I'm definitely pursuing my back pay. I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes.
You guys are loving right, this is insane.
I hope the conversation goes well.

Keep us updated.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

In what world did you think it's normal to continue to work without being paid for 11 months?! My company misses one paycheck and I'm out, there is no excuse, whatsoever to continue to work and not get paid. You shouldn't be asking about backpay/when you're going to get paid. You should be walking into his office and telling him you're getting paid today or you're walking right out the door right then and there, no excuses. Jesus people, why did it take you 11 months to realize this?!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Update
the conversation didnīt go exactly as I wanted
I went and talked with my boss and I asked when am I going to get payed, I have bills to pay. He said at the end of this month and he apologized for taking way too long. When this monthīs money comes in for him. I will be the 1st he pays, he said.

I did not mention that I would look for other jobs.
So for now. I am holding out until the end of this month. either he pays by then or Iīm out.
And yeah I got the total amount he owes me written down.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sefal posted:

Update
I went and talked with my boss and I asked when am I going to get payed, I have bills to pay. He said at the end of this month and he apologized for taking way too long. When this monthīs money comes in for him. I will be the 1st he pays, he said.

So for now. I am holding out until the end of this month. either he pays by then or Iīm out.

You deserve all the punishment you receive. You don't even respect yourself, why should anyone else?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Progress! Just make sure that the backpay comes in at some point. If you really enjoy working there and are willing to let him pay it in installments, that's on you, but at least you've got money coming in again, well done.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

Update

You aren't getting paid. End of the month will come and unexpected expenses will come up and you'll get paid "next month".

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

Progress! Just make sure that the backpay comes in at some point. If you really enjoy working there and are willing to let him pay it in installments, that's on you, but at least you've got money coming in again, well done.

He doesn't have money coming in though, he's got the promise/pinky swear it coming in at the end of the month.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Sefal posted:

I am holding out until the end of this month. either he pays by then or Iīm out.

Whether you're sticking around till the end of the month or not, I think you should still be looking for a new job immediately. Even if he pays you then I would get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you ask him why this month will be different to the previous 11 as far as cashflow goes?

• Locked thread