Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enbot
Jun 7, 2013
That's not entirely correct, there could be other issues or polling techniques that bias all the samples in the same direction. Not reaching young voters is an obvious example. Or how some polling companies consistently are +R or D when compared to the actual result. Of course averaging is useful for reducing variance but it doesn't eliminate the possibility that all the polls were off due to some systemic factor (which silver noted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

DOOP posted:

Can I hope he runs just for the 'stache alone? Cause it's pretty good. When was the last time a President had a stache? Or facial hair? Even a nominee for that matter?

As far as primary major party candidates: Bob Dornan, 1996.

Though I've seen pictures of him with and without a beard.

Speaking of Bullet Bob, who will play the bomb-throwing social conservative this time? Even if Huckabee gets in, he will be treated as a front runner and will likely act at least more considerate. He'll do all he can to avoid the killer sound byte, presumably. I'm thinking someone will run a more vocal campaign to push him and others into dealing with those issues, like how Santorum got Romney to look moderate on contraception last time.

Then again, Santorum actually got traction.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 10, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

enbot posted:

That's not entirely correct, there could be other issues or polling techniques that bias all the samples in the same direction. Not reaching young voters is an obvious example. Or how some polling companies consistently are +R or D when compared to the actual result. Of course averaging is useful for reducing variance but it doesn't eliminate the possibility that all the polls were off due to some systemic factor (which silver noted).

Yes but my point is more and more data from different sources make the idea that almost all these sources are biased in the wrong direction increasingly unlikely, not impossible.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Joementum posted:

By the way, the only two poll based models that got the EV count exactly correct in 2012 were those that did a simple, unweighted average of all the available state level polls.

Was this true in 2008 as well?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

By the way, the only two poll based models that got the EV count exactly correct in 2012 were those that did a simple, unweighted average of all the available state level polls.

Silver predicted all 50 states correctly, he had special sauce weighting, why does he not count?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Anyway, it turned out that Obama increased his vote lead in minority communities between 2008 and 2012, which actually nobody was predicting.

Mitt Romney's tanning-bed edition of minority outreach actually proved less palatable than open antagonism? I guess we know where the GOP's route back to the White House in 2016 really lies.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I always chuckle when I think about the (required) epistemology course I took at a super-conservative college along with a rhetoric/speech class where they pounded this premise into everyone's head: "Truths are objective, and there are things you just can't argue your way out of. Some things are true because they're true." I just know that 75% or more of those people are virulently anti-Obama and gladly swallowed every bit of spin from Dick Morris and Dean Chambers while mocking Nate Silver.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zwabu posted:

Silver predicted all 50 states correctly, he had special sauce weighting, why does he not count?

His final EV count, which is the thing that used the special sauce model he developed, was 313-225.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

His final EV count, which is the thing that used the special sauce model he developed, was 313-225.

I think Silver's highest likelihood scenario was the final result. His 313-225 is his average result. This is splitting hairs, however.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Joementum posted:

How did the various predictions work out further in advance? That's really where the brunt of his effort was focused, I thought.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

CapitanAmerica posted:

The fact is Assad used Chemical Weapons against his people and the world did nothing. It just gives the green flag for any nation in the world wanting to use chemical weapons on their own citizens that they can do so and have no consequences. And I do not doubt for one second that it will happen in the future.

It is just as likely that Rebels initiated those gas attacks. There isn't a single good reason for Assad to gas the Rebels and it gave every excuse in the world for foreign intervention, principally from the US, who has eagerly awaited the downfall of the Syrian regime for years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lote posted:

I think Silver's highest likelihood scenario was the final result. His 313-225 is his average result. This is splitting hairs, however.

Is that what the state-by-state prediction chart is? I think that's just averaged state-level polls and not part of his model, but there's no explanation and the NYT redesign seems to have broken his archive.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Silver is Dean Chambers level stupid, just that it doesn't seem like we need all that much fancy math to get a reasonable prediction of Presidential general elections because there's enough public polling data that even a simple average is accurate enough.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

King of Hamas posted:

It is just as likely that Rebels initiated those gas attacks. There isn't a single good reason for Assad to gas the Rebels and it gave every excuse in the world for foreign intervention, principally from the US, who has eagerly awaited the downfall of the Syrian regime for years.

Please, tell me more. :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Is that what the state-by-state prediction chart is? I think that's just averaged state-level polls and not part of his model, but there's no explanation and the NYT redesign seems to have broken his archive.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Silver is Dean Chambers level stupid, just that it doesn't seem like we need all that much fancy math to get a reasonable prediction of Presidential general elections because there's enough public polling data that even a simple average is accurate enough.

His state by state results were accurate and his most likely prediction was the final result at about 20%.

Also a sample size greater than one would be better do drawing that last conclusion. :v:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

King of Hamas posted:

Why don't you go to the Middle East thread and grace Brown Moses with your wisdom? I'm sure he'd love to hear all the many evidence-based reasons you have.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz won a straw poll! Now, normally, this is just a silly filler story with no bearing on the primary, but the details make it a bit more interesting.

quote:

Texas Senator Ted Cruz was the overwhelming winner of an unofficial fun straw poll of Republicans attending the Penobscot County GOP Caucus on Saturday at Husson College, administered by the Maine Republican Liberty Caucus (RLC).

Republicans paid $1 per ballot which listed 20 potential GOP presidential candidates’ names plus room for write-ins and were asked to mark their first, second and third choice. Points were weighted at 5 points for a first place vote, 3 points for second and 1 point for a third place vote.

Cruz led the field with an aggregate 107 points followed by Kentucky Senator Rand Paul with 31 points, Minnesota Rep. Michelle Bachman with 28 points, Utah Senator Mike Lee with 18 points and Maine Governor Paul LePage with 15 points.

Cruz is firing up a grill in Rand's backyard and having a feast.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

King of Hamas posted:

Assad must be a rational actor, therefore he must not have gassed his own people.

That is some seriously circular reasoning. Level Descartes: achieved. (And it's also demonstrably untrue, but knowing that would have required you to be familiar with the situation, which is obviously not the case.)

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz won a straw poll! Now, normally, this is just a silly filler story with no bearing on the primary, but the details make it a bit more interesting.

Cruz is firing up a grill in Rand's backyard and having a feast.

Possibly more remarkable is that only 3 points separate Rand and Michelle Bachmann.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Id think Cruz would be a bigger star among the "teavangelical" types since he seems to be comfortable talking Jesus than Rand, unless anyone knows otherwise.

I don't see how they differ on economics, aside from Rand liking to discuss theoretical gobbledygook and Cruz just being more straightforwardly anti-whatever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rehashing the Syrian false flag fappery again? Holy poo poo.

Let me tell you about thermite...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I too remember when Obama used the Syrian CW attacks as a pretext to invade Syria.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think it was the GOP follies thread where I pointed out this is the game plan for 2016, though anyone could see it coming a mile away. But still it's nice to have confirmation from the trickster imp in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8h0JDXA34w

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 10, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's risky to say "people aren't going to fall for this poo poo again" but just to keep myself sane I'm telling myself that. White House Staffers for Truth!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
It's pretty telling that in all of 2007 when you had an octet of "true" conservatives competing desperately for media attention and a GOP brain trust convinced Hillary was going to to win the nomination that the 90s Clinton scandals were rarely if ever brought up except in oblique terms. The 2014 GOP just has no discipline left whatsoever, they'll froth madly in the streets over the same issue that cost them a national election 16 years ago.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

comes along bort posted:

I think it was the GOP follies thread where I pointed out this is the game plan for 2016, though anyone could see it coming a mile away. But still it's nice to have confirmation from the trickster imp in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8h0JDXA34w

I have to say that I rather doubt that the Lewinsky scandal is going to get much traction with the newest generation of voters who weren't even born yet when it happened. It was a GOP farce 18 years ago, and it'll only look like more of one to modern voters who have become even more tolerant of such things.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

I have to say that I rather doubt that the Lewinsky scandal is going to get much traction with the newest generation of voters who weren't even born yet when it happened.

Agree, but that's not who they're going after.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Joementum could be a thing in 2016, as Joe Scarborough is kicking the tires on a possible 2016 run

quote:

Sources close to MSNBC host Joe Scarborough think he is seriously considering the prospect of leaving morning television to run for president in 2016.

Last week, Scarborough was all smiles — even letting out a laugh — on “Morning Joe” when Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol suggested on the air that Scarborough could represent the “Jon Huntsman lane” in a 2016 GOP primary.

But behind the scenes, those who know Scarborough are not laughing.

It’s widely believed at MSNBC — including among network brass — that Scarborough is actively mulling a presidential bid, sources said.

Meanwhile, some of Scarborough’s guests are beginning to talk him up as a possible candidate. Mark McKinnon — the former adviser to George W. Bush and John McCain who co-founded the group No Labels and appears on Morning Joe regularly — said he has talked about the prospect of a White House campaign with Scarborough “ever since we first met years ago, but always in the abstract.”

“On paper, he’s a great candidate,” McKinnon told The Daily Caller. “He has the kind of confidence, ideas and media savvy required to make it on the big stage. And he’d be a lot of fun to watch because he wouldn’t be afraid to mix it up with anybody on any topic. I think it would be highly entertaining and good for the party.”

Added McKinnon: “I think Joe looks at the potential field and thinks, ‘I could compete.’ And I think there are potential donors and supporters who think the same thing.”

Another Scarborough friend — a Republican who has appeared as a guest on Morning Joe many times — said the notion of a 2016 campaign is no joke: “I definitely wouldn’t fall in the laughing category.”

“I think it’s a very wide open field,” the friend told TheDC by phone. “He’s an articulate spokesperson for conservatives. No doubt about it.”

Here is the thinking behind a Scarborough bid:

The field is wide open.
Republicans won’t nominate a senator. They want a D.C. outsider.
Scarborough would perform well in debates, which mattered in the 2012 contest.
Scarborough, through his recent book, has offered a blueprint for reform for the GOP.
There are just as many hurdles for Scarborough that would likely be turnoffs in a Republican nominating contest: His show represents the thinking of the Washington and New York political elite. He works for a liberal news network. He’s been divorced twice. He resigned from Congress.

“Now, realistically, his MSNBC association and some of his positions could kill him in the crib (though, a lot of people would be surprised to discover he is more conservative than they think),” McKinnon acknowledged. “And professionally and economically, it could be just this side of crazy. But no one ever accused him of playing things safe.

“I’d say he’s got a pretty good itch and one of these days, some year, he’s gonna scratch it,” McKinnon added.

Scarborough did not return an email seeking comment for this story. But in an interview with TheDC in November, the MSNBC host said he was open to running for office again.

“I suspect in the future — if that happens again — and I feel the calling to do it, I’ll do it with the one hesitation — that I got a 10-year-old girl who has said I can’t do it until she’s out of high school,” Scarborough said.

“I don’t know if I’m going to make it that long,” he added. “But I don’t think I’m going to be jumping in anytime soon.”

Scarborough acknowledged that he wrote his recent book, “The Right Path: From Ike to Reagan, How Republicans Once Mastered Politics–and Can Again,” with the 2016 presidential election in mind.

“The reason I wrote the book and the reason I’m going around the country talking about these issues is because 2016 is going to be an extraordinarily important year,” Scarborough said. “We can’t lose another election.”

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kaal posted:

I have to say that I rather doubt that the Lewinsky scandal is going to get much traction with the newest generation of voters who weren't even born yet when it happened. It was a GOP farce 18 years ago, and it'll only look like more of one to modern voters who have become even more tolerant of such things.

Yeah, I don't see the Republican obsession with Bill Clinton's boxer shorts having an effect on anyone who was too young to care at the time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Joementum could be a thing in 2016, as Joe Scarborough is kicking the tires on a possible 2016 run

Look at how well Jon Huntsman did. Who wouldn't want to drive in the "Jon Huntsman lane"?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lycus posted:

Look at how well Jon Huntsman did. Who wouldn't want to drive in the "Jon Huntsman lane"?

Jon Hunstman's candidacy stalled out because as far as we know he's never killed anyone and subsequently got away with it. That's the kind of thing that'll give ol' vagina eyes an edge.

Maybe he'll get his bosom buddy Harold Ford to be his running mate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I can't think of people more prone to huffing their own farts and calling it roses than the people on Morning Joe. So yeah, sounds like a possibility.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It takes a very special kind of self-absorption to quit a job where you're paid millions of dollars to drink coffee and say stupid poo poo for three hours in order to lose at becoming President.

Same goes for Mike Huckabee, but his show was only two hours a week and replaced the coffee with some bass licks.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Joementum posted:

It takes a very special kind of self-absorption to quit a job where you're paid millions of dollars to drink coffee and say stupid poo poo for three hours in order to lose at becoming President.

Same goes for Mike Huckabee, but his show was only two hours a week and replaced the coffee with some bass licks.

This is something I've wondered. Do these candidates somehow gain by running? It's hard to imagine why these no-hopers enter.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Obdicut posted:

This is something I've wondered. Do these candidates somehow gain by running? It's hard to imagine why these no-hopers enter.

Profile raising and to tap a captive audience of conservative book buyers. Scarborough might be just chasing his ego, but for the likes of Huckabee its all about boosting sales of his personality based products, like his radio show and his series of History courses. The exact same thing Palin was up to, becoming a political celebrity rather than a politician or statesman.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Obdicut posted:

Some clearly do if there's room for them to move up. Cain got to take over Boortz's show last year and I'm sure Newt sold a bunch of dumb Civil War and Ellis the Elephant books in addition to getting a spot on Crossfire. But the only place Huckabee and Scarborough have to go is primetime and you have to figure it'd be easier to get that by just staying at the network.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yiggy posted:

Profile raising and to tap a captive audience of conservative book buyers. Scarborough might be just chasing his ego, but for the likes of Huckabee its all about boosting sales of his personality based products, like his radio show and his series of History courses. The exact same thing Palin was up to, becoming a political celebrity rather than a politician or statesman.
Exactly.

There's a reason we've taken to calling them "Book Tour Candidates".

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Yiggy posted:

There are far less demanding ways to get that kind of promotion in Republican circles though. As much as the financial motives may be at play you know guys like Gingrich were falling asleep hoping for some dire Romney story to come out so they could start their History channel documentary come from behind underdog win for the ages based on their charisma and grit alone. Grand delusion in other words.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Some clearly do if there's room for them to move up. Cain got to take over Boortz's show last year and I'm sure Newt sold a bunch of dumb Civil War and Ellis the Elephant books in addition to getting a spot on Crossfire. But the only place Huckabee and Scarborough have to go is primetime and you have to figure it'd be easier to get that by just staying at the network.

Scarborough already had a primetime show. Dunno if they'd restart the experiment 7 years after taking it away.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Kaal posted:

Anyone who is not a Republican and would be swayed over Bill's indiscretions will probably not appreciate that what he did somehow paints her running for the office in a negative light either.

Like, effectively blaming Hillary for her husband's infidelity as "gotcha" rebuke to the idea of the GOP waging a war on women is the most insane thought process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

ayn rand hand job posted:

Scarborough already had a primetime show. Dunno if they'd restart the experiment 7 years after taking it away.

It wasn't really taken away from him per se. Imus made that daft "nappy headed" comment and they canned him, shifting Scarborough into the morning slot since at the time he was really the only conservative voice they had, and that perspective seems to do better with the AM cable news watching demographic.

• Locked thread