Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zVxTeflon posted:

its for you carl, youre a man now slay the puss

Potential undead suspect? :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Steinuh posted:

At least it hasn't gotten this bad

....what IS this? It's like Home Alone 6 or something.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I thought it was metabolize

It may have indeed been metabolize.

VDay posted:

Counter-counter-point:

Walking up and calmly trying a doorknob seems to be the last option. Hell he goes straight from attempting to break it down to easily wedging it open with a solar light.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 10, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blazing Ownager posted:

Counter-point: That was what, two or three year old expired chocolate pudding?

Carl is going to be having the shits for a week.

Walking dead is around 1.5 years, and canned goods typically can be shelf stable for 2 to 3 years. They've got a while. And under the rules of TV logic canned goods last forever anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fog Tripper posted:

Walking up and calmly trying a doorknob seems to be the last option. Hell he goes straight from attempting to break it down to easily wedging it open with a solar light.

To be fair, at least it was funny. And it was only like the 9th least logical thing he did that episode.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

quote:

EW: What about the scene where you’re walking with your new pets among all these other zombies, you look at another zombie that has a passing resemblance to you, and then you just go nuts and start slicing everything in sight? What’s that about?

quote:

GURIRA: Well, what do you think it’s about, Dalton?

"Stop asking me stupid questions"

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

AwkwardKnob posted:

....what IS this? It's like Home Alone 6 or something.

That would be Dexter's son, having been re-cast as an older, more able-bodied child to show more..involvement? from his son? Either way, disregarding that in a month(?)s span he went from like 3 to 7 years old..every single scene with the kid was terrible.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

It may have indeed been metabolize.

Truly the son of Lori and Shane.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That episode was horrible. It still amazes me that this show can have the characters show extreme competence one episode and incredible mental handicap the next. Hey Carl, try the doorknob maybe? Did the pied piper routine accomplish anything except nearly getting a 14 year old battle-hardened kid killed for no reason? Stupid writing and bad acting.

VDay posted:

Counter-counter-point:

Haha, Carl that's an expensive prop gun so you can't drop it on the ground under any circumstance.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 10, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My favorite thing about Carl is the way Rick says "Carl." He hunches over, cocks his head sideways, and out comes "HKharll," like he's coughing something up from deep in the back of his throat. Reminds me a lot of Gollum really.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Bigass Moth posted:

That episode was horrible. It still amazes me that this show can have the characters show extreme competence one episode and incredible mental handicap the next. Hey Carl, try the doorknob maybe? Did the pied piper routine accomplish anything except nearly getting a 14 year old battle-hardened kid killed for no reason? Stupid writing and bad acting.

Haha, Carl that's an expensive prop gun so you can't drop it on the ground under any circumstance.

Holy poo poo I didn't spot the gun thing.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Svanja posted:

Michonne sees those two as her family. Some of the best Michonne interactions involved Carl and Rick. Michonne and Rick will be the new power couple.

I will enjoy seeing what happens with them.

It has potential. But they are still definitely the most frustrating characters. Maybe putting them all together is good

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Is this show worth watching at all, because I gave up in Season 2 when Rick shot the missing girl who was in the barn and thus a zombie. The show was not going in any good direction at all, the characters were doing utterly dumb stupid poo poo and the writers seemed to change the rules at every turn.

Has it changed or is it just as annoying and stupid as it ever was? I am guessing they have less original characters now, but have picked up others like Michonne?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Okay to be fair Carl was just saying what a lot of people seemed to be thinking about rick

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
But he's still a little poo poo

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
This was an underwhelming episode for a midseason premiere. I really thought they were building up to something in the last 5 minutes that would establish a new arc, but nope.

The Dark Project posted:

Is this show worth watching at all, because I gave up in Season 2 when Rick shot the missing girl who was in the barn and thus a zombie. The show was not going in any good direction at all, the characters were doing utterly dumb stupid poo poo and the writers seemed to change the rules at every turn.

Has it changed or is it just as annoying and stupid as it ever was? I am guessing they have less original characters now, but have picked up others like Michonne?

You'll never escape that kind of stupidity in this show, but there are good arcs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Dark Project posted:

Season 1 was pretty good, season 2 was awful. First half of season 3 was watchable, 2nd half was okay. Season 4 started off okay, then it started to feel like season 2, then it got worse. The best thing about the show has been making GBS threads on it in this thread. We weren't allowed to do that anymore for the first half of season 4. I guess we can again now?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Oh come on, the majority of the camaraderie around in the Season 2 thread was everyone basically agreeing on how bad it was!

Thanks for the warning though. I had thought of watching it because Michonne is interesting, but I think I might skip it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They really need to just stop killing off all the best characters. Herschel, Oscar, Milton, and Merle all got killed just when they were getting interesting. I really wish they'd find some way to get Kirkman off the show completely as apparently he is the main reason Rick is still a major focus when he's just absolutely horrible at this point. At this rate I'm expecting Daryl to get offed in this season's finale because it seems like the kind of stupid OH poo poo thing they'd do.

At least Carol is still presumably alive. She's groovy.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
There are infinitely worse shows to watch.

The Michonne dream sequence was definitely the best part of the episode. All the rest of it was Carl being dumb and falling down, and people basically talking to themselves. Yeah, Carl, maybe you feel like you're telling your dad off, but he's unconscious and not registering anything. Go outside and yell at the wall.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was a nice way to show that even if Carl is cocky and hates his dad, he really is dependent on him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

precision posted:

They really need to just stop killing off all the best characters. Herschel, Oscar, Milton, and Merle all got killed just when they were getting interesting. I really wish they'd find some way to get Kirkman off the show completely as apparently he is the main reason Rick is still a major focus when he's just absolutely horrible at this point. At this rate I'm expecting Daryl to get offed in this season's finale because it seems like the kind of stupid OH poo poo thing they'd do.

At least Carol is still presumably alive. She's groovy.

Aside from characters tripping into the arms of zombies in waiting, a character death shortly after finally having a good and interesting series of character developing scenes has been the most predictable part of this show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bigass Moth posted:

Did the pied piper routine accomplish anything except nearly getting a 14 year old battle-hardened kid killed for no reason?

He was trying to lure them to the river so he wouldn't have to waste a bullet on them. That really wasn't too hard to follow given the conversation earlier in the bar. He wanted to prove to himself that he could survive without wasting his resources.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What was the reason again they use the word walkers instead of zombies in the show and comic?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

What was the reason again they use the word walkers instead of zombies in the show and comic?

It's supposed to take place in a sort of alternate version of reality where zombies never became one of the big movie monsters and most people have never heard of them.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

euphronius posted:

It was a nice way to show that even if Carl is cocky and hates his dad, he really is dependent on him.

This is an excellent point and I take back my criticism of the scene.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basically the show for Carl was "what is it like to be a teenage American in the time of zombie apocalypse." Answer: it sucks. He was drawn to the teenager's room, and was attracted to the PlayStation, or whatever it was. Looking at it his focus goes from the game system to his reflection in the TV and he realizes who he is. Then the video games suddenly become superfluous and their only use is in how they can help his survival now (cables used to shut the door.)

And even in the Zombie Apocalypse, teenagers still have the same issues with their parents that we have today.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

Yeah, Carl, maybe you feel like you're telling your dad off, but he's unconscious and not registering anything. Go outside and yell at the wall.

teenagers.txt

e: If there is one universal constant in geek-focused media, it's that fans will absolutely hate teenagers who act like teenagers.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

BreakAtmo posted:

It's supposed to take place in a sort of alternate version of reality where zombies never became one of the big movie monsters and most people have never heard of them.

That's a kinda weird decision. Thank you!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

That's a kinda weird decision. Thank you!

It's easily the most stable premises of Zombie fiction, right below head wounds. I think Shaun of the Dead is one of the few exceptions.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

BreakAtmo posted:

Which made me wonder if there were any easter eggs in the video games Carl found. I didn't look close enough to see if the game he picked up was one of the many other zombie games out in recent years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

bull3964 posted:

He was trying to lure them to the river so he wouldn't have to waste a bullet on them. That really wasn't too hard to follow given the conversation earlier in the bar. He wanted to prove to himself that he could survive without wasting his resources.

That makes zero sense considering stabbing them in the head is a 100% kill every time and he has been doing that for over a year real-time on the show.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I did like that rick couldn't axe big joe in the head, for once a zombie didn't have a paper mâché head.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bigass Moth posted:

That makes zero sense considering stabbing them in the head is a 100% kill every time and he has been doing that for over a year real-time on the show.

Has he?

The only kills I can recall Carl doing are through gunshots. I don't think he has the height or strength necessary to stab through the skull.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
The thing I liked about this episode is that it showed that not all the characters are unstoppable zombie killing machines. For the people who were complaining about Bad-rear end Carl's perfect headshots, well, this is the episode for you. It shows that when Carl has the confidence of the prison and the others around him and the fall-back of his dad for safety he's a competent fighter. But on his own he quickly realizes that yeah, he is still a kid basically, and he's not strong enough to break down doors and he still gets scared alone at night and yeah, maybe you need other people around to not go crazy in the apocalypse.

I didn't like the inevitable "character doesn't see zombie, nearly gets bitten, zombie can't figure out shoes" moments, but the Michonne flashback was good as well as Hershel head and hopefully now with the Rick and Carl episode out of the way we can move on to more interesting character interactions.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bull3964 posted:

I don't think he has the height or strength necessary to stab through the skull.

I don't believe he's stabbed any standing zombies through the skull. But he has killed a few zombies on the ground without bullets.

messagemode1 posted:

I did like that rick couldn't axe big joe in the head, for once a zombie didn't have a paper mâché head.

Yeah, unlike Michone's Katana rampage. Although, she's pretty badass. This entire season has been focused on human conflict over zombie conflict and I think that's affected how we percieve walkers. They've basically been pushed aside and appear weak in comparison to humans, and this episode does a decent job in reminding us how difficult they actually are to kill.

Tin Miss posted:

It shows that when Carl has the confidence of the prison and the others around him and the fall-back of his dad for safety he's a competent fighter. But on his own he quickly realizes that yeah, he is still a kid basically, and he's not strong enough to break down doors and he still gets scared alone at night and yeah, maybe you need other people around to not go crazy in the apocalypse.

This is a brilliant point. Hopefully this episode does lead to Carl changing and becoming a more mature character. I really wonder how the aspect of how vulnerable the kids really are will tie into the next episode, seeing as the two girls (who think zombies are people) appear to be completely alone.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

This episode was dull as gently caress and CORLE is too stupid to live. I actually kinda resent that Hershel-focused episode for getting my hopes up about this show finally becoming good.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I thought it was a great episode, and I loved Carl's emotional arc, ending with his inability to face life alone if Rick was actually dead. Good acting too.

I usually like reading the live posting after watching but it was really bad this week guys. I thought everyone loved Carl the Badass. Are you guys just lashing out because it turns out he's a teenager after all, and that not all his decisions are good ones?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God drat them actually having humans in my zombie show! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

hollylolly posted:

I thought it was a great episode, and I loved Carl's emotional arc, ending with his inability to face life alone if Rick was actually dead. Good acting too.

I usually like reading the live posting after watching but it was really bad this week guys. I thought everyone loved Carl the Badass. Are you guys just lashing out because it turns out he's a teenager after all, and that not all his decisions are good ones?

I didn't mind Carl making dumb decisions or deciding to be a badass, but I'm wondering how many times we need to explore the relationship of overprotective Rick and rebelliously independent Carl. Can the show display these two within any other framework?

I also reject that Chandler Riggs is a good actor and I point to the gif earlier in the thread as my first exhibit of evidence.

• Locked thread